Cannabis.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why cannabis SHOULDN'T be legalized

Pride is offline Registered+

Why cannabis SHOULDN'T be legalized

I have a friend who likes to smoke up but actually he hates the living shit out of weed and thinks its ruining the world (he continues to smoke cause he's addicted). I decided to post his opinions but mine as well.

Anyway, we already have tobacco and alcohol problems in this country. Why should we legalize another drug? This country is well known for being stupid with drugs and abusing drugs. Do we really need another drug to legalize?
    Freedom of choice? It's gonna cost this country a lot just to do so.

Medical? Is there really medical benefits? Or is it just an excuse for potheads and old people to get high?
    If medical weed is legalized, then people can cure their back problems while at work. It's not like their back pains won't return. Then they'll be too stoned to work and it'll all be legal and will cause a slow down in this country.

Expensive pills not working? Side effects?
    He thinks that patients are lying and just want weed to get high.
    As harsh as it sounds, we cannot just ignore these things.
    I've read posts from some of you that are trying to bullshit your doctors to get a medical card (YOU know who YOU are!)

Statistics in other countries?
    One pot head said "Look at Amsterdam, they're doing fine!"
    Yet a non smoker from a completely different forum said: "Amsterdam is full of whores and potheads! It's disgusting!"
    Plus, we're not Amsterdam. In fact, we can't even let alone handle alcohol that we had to push the drinking age to 21. We saved 20,000 lives a year just for doing that.

Many of you think the government just wants money, doesn't want us to know the truth, etc. But perhaps they're keeping weed illegal for a perfectly better reason than what you think. Maybe they simply don't want the country to be full of potheads who stay home all the time. I admit they go out of control sometimes, but so can potheads anyway.

I am not for keeping it illegal, or legalizing it. But rather I'm just a curious George asking questions. Don't be mad and flame me, but rather try to think and reason. All I see are 'LEGALIZE IT' threads, but there's never a topic that questions the bad parts of weed. There's a bad side of everything. We should discuss it. I see way too many threads on people failing and dropping out of school because they skip school and get high. We cannot toss that aside.

It'd be great if weed became legal and I can easily go to a store and get weed and peacefully smoke it at home. That's what we all think. But maybe we're thinking for ourselves and just want to get high.

Maybe we should look at the bigger picture?

Please reply and tell me your thoughts.
    Again keep in mind, I'm not for legalizing, nor for keeping it illegal. But I think this is a very important topic to discuss.
    Another thing though, this is probably like posting why pirating stuff is ok on a warez forum. But I still want your opinions.
    Thanks.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

harmonicminor is offline Registered+
    you know it was never a problem till they made it illegal. it also helped mankind survive for thousands of years. it could solve our energy crisis
    it is the 1 plant in the whole world with many many uses besides being potheads
    we dont have much time till mankind will come to an end anyway because of our destructive nature
    many of the people that I see that dont like pot are crackheads or opiates addicts
    would you rather your children be doing that????????
    not to mention the whole stoner thing is propaganda
    go watch your tv for some more mind programming

Pride is offline Registered+
    Those drugs are even worse but not enough people abuse them anyway which is why they're not that big of a problem.
    Did enough people smoke weed in the past?

Not enough people smoke salvia. If people smoked as much salvia as they did with weed, then it would be an issue. Oh wait, it is, isn't it? There's already an issue with that kid commiting suicide. That's just a start.
    It's already all over the news these days. Kids are abusing salvia. Salvia IS becoming an issue.
    What is NY doing right now? They're making it illegal.
    Soon the whole country might do that.

I believe it wasn't until way later that weed became an issue and too many people started abusing it. Nowadays we smoke weed a whole lot more than we used to.
    Last edited by Pride; May-17-2006 at 21:48.

graph is offline Registered+
    You're misinformed in a lot of areas, my friend. The world does not only smoke tobacco and drink alcohol, there are thousands of people in America that smoke marijuana. However, every single day people are going to jail because of it. Not all of them are drug dealers; some of them are husbands and wives, some are mothers and fathers, all because they use a drug that has been used since the beginning of civilization. Do you think weed is scary? That people who use it deserve to be incarcerated?

What will it cost this country? Surely not financially, they are actually losing money because of this "War on Drugs". Besides, with legalization comes taxation, and maybe it would benefit us all economically in the end.

I have experienced firsthand people who have never smoked cannabis in their life, and will only do so now for medical purposes. There are people in my family with AIDS that will constantly vomit when going through chemotherapy, and their way of holding down food is vaporizing. However, I will never be able to prove to you that medical users do indeed use cannabis for strictly medical purposes. However, if you ever find yourself suffering from glaucoma or arthritis, I suggest seeing how much you can benefit from cannabis.

Any doctor will tell you that everyone's biochemistry is different. Not all drugs work on all people. In fact, any given perscription drug on the market today will only work for about 80% of the population. With perscription medication come sometimes horrible side-effects, such drowsiness, vomiting, anal leakage, I mean the list just goes on. I believe anal leakage to be far more dangerous to the workplace than being a little high, don't you?

Again, I must reiterate one simple fact. You don't know, and may never know, how much some people suffer in this world, especially people with horrible, dibilitating conditions such as multiple sclerosis. To call these people liars is just naive. However, even if they were lying, after all the pain that they suffer through every day, is it that much of a problem if they want to smoke a joint? Who is it hurting?

That's probably the biggest question regarding Prohibition. Who is it hurting? Alcohol is physically addictive, Cannabis is not. Alcohol makes people violent and incapacitated, Cannabis makes you passive and a little hungry. People still die in this country from alcohol poisoning. No one has ever died from too much Cannabis. This country has a horrible caffeine addiction, yet that's not popularazied by the media.

Remember, strip away all the goverment propaganda, the Prohibition, the anti-marijuana fighters, and even those pro-marijuana, and you're left with a plant. All of this fuss, all over a plant?

well Salvia isnt something for the average person to relax to after work.
    those other drugs arent a problem????? I think more people are dying from that than weed my friend
    I take it you live out in the woods somewhere

gromorebud is offline Registered+
    It'd be great if weed became legal and I can easily go to a store and get weed and peacefully smoke it at home. That's what we all think. But maybe we're thinking for ourselves and just want to get high.
    so what's so bad about that?

rantingsweed is offline Registered+
    that kid that killed himself wasnt because of salvia, it didnt make him kill himself he did it of his own free will. He should have been smart enough to know that he was just on a drug and it wasnt real, his own fault for not being mentally prepared, not the drugs. Salvia has been used for religous and healing purposes for thousands of years, it's not some new killer drug.

And almost every person ive talked to that has tried salvia say they will never do it again.

Also, you should watch the Penn and Teller Bullshit! epsiode about marijuana and pay close attention to Dr. Lesper Grinspoon's part, he believed all the propaganda about marijuana until he actually researched it for himself. Then his son was diagnosed with cancer, and cannabis cured him of his nausea and vomitting from chemo, and he never had it again. It worked the first time he tried it.

Again, NOBODY has ever died from a marijuana overdose.

Who can say what a person can and cannot do with their own body? The only person that should be able to do that is a persons own self.
    Last edited by rantingsweed; May-18-2006 at 02:07.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkamander
    So, like, there won't be ANY boob showing?

Lame. I'm gonna go beat off in the dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReclusiveBoy
    but i managed to force 2 peices of bread some soup a crumpet and some chocolate down my throat but i just cant eat properly.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinSumWeedo View Post
    Obviously some pussy nerds are gonna be like "by my calculations the syrup in the slurpee will kill you or somthing" My only worry would be if THC gets gay in it.

rantingsweed is offline Registered+
    oh, and watch the last 4 or so minutes and look at Irvin Rosenfeld(sp?). He smokes marijuana LEGALLY provided by the federal government for bone tumors, he is a very successfull stock broker. There are only 7 patients left that are still provided with legal marijuana from the federal government, and i agree with Irvin, once all those patients are gone the government might just end all things marijuana in america.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkamander
    So, like, there won't be ANY boob showing?

Lame. I'm gonna go beat off in the dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReclusiveBoy
    but i managed to force 2 peices of bread some soup a crumpet and some chocolate down my throat but i just cant eat properly.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinSumWeedo View Post
    Obviously some pussy nerds are gonna be like "by my calculations the syrup in the slurpee will kill you or somthing" My only worry would be if THC gets gay in it.

Ms.W is offline Registered
    Very sad perspective. Your friend's internal strife sounds concerning. I am a professional in the mental health field and would suggest he/she seek counseling. And, for the record, smoking pot is not the root cause of one's laziness, this is a ridiculous badge. The problem is this: the perception that people who smoke pot are airheads is perpetuated because those of us who are high functioning (professionals, educators, civil servants, etc.) cannot admit that we smoke pot! The folks you refer to are folks who lack descretion and would likely act in a similar way if they did't smoke pot.

Pepper is offline Registered+
    Good post Ms. W.

ringo420 is offline Registered+

from a profesinal chef.

Well I haveread it all, One this plant as all plants were put here for our use now I have to agree with Ms.W I put in 70 hour a week on my feet running all day and eve and I smoke weed every day. I find it calms my ADhD enough that I can focus on multiple areas at once as well and remember them all. Losing your memory from pot not true If One of my sou chefs asks me where something is I can tell them from where I am standing exactly which room which self How foar up all. So if you dont take the time to reserch your opinion from both sides thoughroughly you are still living in ignorance.

LIP
    LIP is offline Banned
    Cannabis should be legalised.

We are paying taxes, no one can diaagree. Ok?

Right, well all of that money is being used to arrest people, like us, for smoking cannabis. some are getting longer sentences than some rapists.

Thats sick, the government is wasting our money, putting people behind bars for harming no one.

Cannabis has been proved to have some medicinal valvues, and it can help with energy saving and all the shizzle dizzle that goes along with it.

Cannabis definatly should be legalised. Theres no 2 ways about it.

Your not a pig are you?

gman420 is offline Registered
    you might find this interesting

http://www.prohibitioncosts.org

lol for once Lip I agree with ya
    I smell bacon

jamstigator is offline Registered+
    It was only made illegal because of greed and racism, and keeping it illegal keeps the U.S. as the developed country with the highest percentage of incarcerated individuals, many of whom are imprisoned because of non-violent drug charges like possession. If you think about it, an incarcerated person is worse for the country/government/economy than a dead person. The thousands who die from cancer caused by cigarettes or in auto accidents caused by alcohol are DEAD and they don't cost the government anything more than their lost worker productivity. The incarcerated have that cost too PLUS the cost of feeding, clothing, sheltering and guarding them.

There's also the cost of maintaining the drug war. Some studies suggest that cost has reached a trillion dollars now. A trillion dollars! If we'd invested that money in Social Security, then Social Security would be solvent now. Basically, it appears as if we traded the ability to keep our elderly healthy for the ability to imprison more of our young. Nice trade! And what do we have to show for the drug war, anyway? Not much. It's easier to get pot (and most all other drugs too) now than it was when the drug war began. We DO have a ton of people imprisoned now, and that is pretty much all our trillion dollars has bought us. I suppose if you work in the prison security field then the drug war has been a boon, but otherwise...

Cannabis should be treated as alcohol, not worse. Treating it as a Schedule I drug like heroin is simply insane.
    Last edited by jamstigator; May-18-2006 at 11:56.
    "Before you consider one an enemy, first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, if he *is* an enemy, you're a mile ahead, and you have his shoes."

The Figment is offline Registered+
    You Want to get the "Crime" out of drugs? take the money out of the equation...No more Smugglers(Who also carry guns) No More Dealers(Who also sell other and more damaging Substances) No moer "Drug War" (A total Waste of MY Tax Money) No More "Cartels" Ect..You get the point.

If you think some of us dont know what we are talking about,I made my living for many a year sellin,smugglin an doing anything you can think of with weed an acid (You know us Deadheads) Made LOTS of money...Had fun too...Now I have the fuckin Feddys up my Wifes ass fer gettin stopped inna her car with 151 pounds...you think pot shold not be legal? the money spent on the "Drug War" in the last 10 years would buy Everybody in New Orleans A New House!

canucktoker is offline Registered+
    "In fact, we can't even let alone handle alcohol that we had to push the drinking age to 21. We saved 20,000 lives a year just for doing that."

Hows that? The same percent of 19 year olds drink in america now as in places where its legal. Instead of at the bar, where there are bouncers to ensure some type of safety, kids drink unsupervised in outdoor or house parties. It causes MORE drinking and driving. If i try stumbling out of bar while jingling my keys i get forcably put in cab. No one cares if you leave bush party drunk. No one will stop the fights or the rapes there either. A 21 year old drinking age is moronic, its failed as a law, and only the usa has an age that high.

"Medical? Is there really medical benefits? Or is it just an excuse for potheads and old people to get high?"

Quit being a pawn of the pharmaceutical industry, all their sleeping pills and depression meds dont even come close to the benefits of pot.

"I've read posts from some of you that are trying to bullshit your doctors to get a medical card (YOU know who YOU are!) "

I think most pot use is medicinal. Its a herb, people should be able to use it for anything they want, and not have to justify to you.

"Yet a non smoker from a completely different forum said: "Amsterdam is full of whores and potheads! It's disgusting!" "

Its full of pot heads because its the only place like that on earth. Who cares about hookers? Are you gay? A jesus freak? People want to fuck a hooker go ahead, at least its contained in one area, people in holland dont have crack whores turning tricks in front of their kids school. There was a red lite long before there was a coffee shop, its the oldest profession on earth.

"There's a bad side of everything. We should discuss it. I see way too many threads on people failing and dropping out of school because they skip school and get high. We cannot toss that aside. "

So? Grad school is full of stoners with A averages. Lots of people drop out of school and never touch pot. Pot has nothing to do with you being a failure. It sure helped me acheive success in school. Blame yourself for your own failures, stop scapgoating pot or booze. School in north america is laughably easy.

"Maybe they simply don't want the country to be full of potheads who stay home all the time."

I never stay home. I go to the weed cafe, or just out. Snowboarding, biking, the beach. Stop with the old stereotypes, i know alot of pot heads who are in great shape, the dont stay home eating chips and playing vids.

"It'd be great if weed became legal and I can easily go to a store and get weed and peacefully smoke it at home. That's what we all think. But maybe we're thinking for ourselves and just want to get high. "

No i am thinking i want to take away money from organized crime and get law enforcement to fight real actual crime. Like the murder rape robbery theft, i can think of lots of stuff the cops could be doing. I am also sick of paying for drug war with my taxes, if that makes me greedy, you can kiss my ass. I already have all the weed i want, it wont affect my life to be able to go to store and get it, but there are lots of people who are sick and cant get it.

"It's already all over the news these days. Kids are abusing salvia. Salvia IS becoming an issue. "

Wow you are easy to lead. A few media outlets create an artifical scare about sally d and now its an issue? I havent heard any real citizens act concerned, just politicans and cops. People dont abuse salvia, even people who like it. It sounds nice, but its just media hysteria, and u buy into it, sad.

newactivist is offline Registered+
    Pride, read www.jackherer.com to get a understanding of why criminalization is a bad idea and always was. Skip through the conspiracy stuff and it has a massive amount of good info. Anyone against the decriminalization of this plant needs to look up a device called the decorticator. Very interesting and informative read.

We also had this same discussion on a board in Nevada. Skipping through it will also give you some basic highlights.

http://apps.nevadaappeal.com/na_poll...e=flat&order=1

newactivist is offline Registered+

LIP
    LIP is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by harmonicminor
    lol for once Lip I agree with ya
    I smell bacon
    Oh, im so glad to hear

notanotherteensmoker is offline Registered+

misinformed schooling the misinformed

Quote Originally Posted by graph
    You're misinformed in a lot of areas, my friend. The world does not only smoke tobacco and drink alcohol, there are thousands of people in America that smoke marijuana.

If there are nearly 300 million people in the U.S...

http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html

and 1 percent are daily users...

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/

then that makes MILLIONS of pot smokers. Oh, I get it...if there are millions...then that means there are thousands, too? Pothead logic.

graph is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by notanotherteensmoker
    If there are nearly 300 million people in the U.S...

http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html

and 1 percent are daily users...

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/

then that makes MILLIONS of pot smokers. Oh, I get it...if there are millions...then that means there are thousands, too? Pothead logic.
    Technically, yeah. There's only 3 millions, but 3000 thousands.

Taking my entire post and only finding one problem with it? You have much work to do, my friend. Nitpicking about one word? You're above that.

t3chyo is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by canucktoker
    "In fact, we can't even let alone handle alcohol that we had to push the drinking age to 21. We saved 20,000 lives a year just for doing that."

Hows that? The same percent of 19 year olds drink in america now as in places where its legal. Instead of at the bar, where there are bouncers to ensure some type of safety, kids drink unsupervised in outdoor or house parties. It causes MORE drinking and driving. If i try stumbling out of bar while jingling my keys i get forcably put in cab. No one cares if you leave bush party drunk. No one will stop the fights or the rapes there either. A 21 year old drinking age is moronic, its failed as a law, and only the usa has an age that high.

"Medical? Is there really medical benefits? Or is it just an excuse for potheads and old people to get high?"

Quit being a pawn of the pharmaceutical industry, all their sleeping pills and depression meds dont even come close to the benefits of pot.

"I've read posts from some of you that are trying to bullshit your doctors to get a medical card (YOU know who YOU are!) "

I think most pot use is medicinal. Its a herb, people should be able to use it for anything they want, and not have to justify to you.

"Yet a non smoker from a completely different forum said: "Amsterdam is full of whores and potheads! It's disgusting!" "

Its full of pot heads because its the only place like that on earth. Who cares about hookers? Are you gay? A jesus freak? People want to fuck a hooker go ahead, at least its contained in one area, people in holland dont have crack whores turning tricks in front of their kids school. There was a red lite long before there was a coffee shop, its the oldest profession on earth.

"There's a bad side of everything. We should discuss it. I see way too many threads on people failing and dropping out of school because they skip school and get high. We cannot toss that aside. "

So? Grad school is full of stoners with A averages. Lots of people drop out of school and never touch pot. Pot has nothing to do with you being a failure. It sure helped me acheive success in school. Blame yourself for your own failures, stop scapgoating pot or booze. School in north america is laughably easy.

"Maybe they simply don't want the country to be full of potheads who stay home all the time."

I never stay home. I go to the weed cafe, or just out. Snowboarding, biking, the beach. Stop with the old stereotypes, i know alot of pot heads who are in great shape, the dont stay home eating chips and playing vids.

"It'd be great if weed became legal and I can easily go to a store and get weed and peacefully smoke it at home. That's what we all think. But maybe we're thinking for ourselves and just want to get high. "

No i am thinking i want to take away money from organized crime and get law enforcement to fight real actual crime. Like the murder rape robbery theft, i can think of lots of stuff the cops could be doing. I am also sick of paying for drug war with my taxes, if that makes me greedy, you can kiss my ass. I already have all the weed i want, it wont affect my life to be able to go to store and get it, but there are lots of people who are sick and cant get it.

"It's already all over the news these days. Kids are abusing salvia. Salvia IS becoming an issue. "

Wow you are easy to lead. A few media outlets create an artifical scare about sally d and now its an issue? I havent heard any real citizens act concerned, just politicans and cops. People dont abuse salvia, even people who like it. It sounds nice, but its just media hysteria, and u buy into it, sad.

excellent post!

surfinrocco is offline Registered
    Pride if your a cop, fuck yourself, my name is Bryan Rocco and i'm waiting for you,got a bullet with any pigs name on it. Because i'm not harming anyone bu myself, the statistics are against you my friend, hundreds thousands die from drinking, and tobacco. Not since marijuanas history or beginning has anyone died of smoking it. Because you are a fool,shouldn't voice your opinion on here. MY question is what is someone who doesn't smoke weed doing on a pro weed site. IF your a pig, suck on this. Because i sell alot of pounds a month, and i do it invain, knowing full well that no one is gonna get hooked or die from weed. I grow pounds of weed and sell them, its what i do for a living, and i'm not afraid of you are the DEA. Sorry if i was rude man but you gotta realize, none of us just sit at home all day doing nothing, i graduated school and now i'm in college, so fuck what you think about pothheads. It hurts and insults my intelligence when someone like you comes around shaking your hands saying "oh no don't do drugs" fuck you if your so pathetic minded that you saw that DARE commercial and believed it,people that are 13 years old are smoking. And this country is starting to except weed and will. And when it is legalized people will be to stoned to kill eachother. Its a solution to many problems, oh yah fuck pigs.
    peace i'm out, this is ridiculous, i've gotta smoke a joint to come down.
    Last edited by surfinrocco; May-18-2006 at 18:19.

notanotherteensmoker is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by graph
    Technically, yeah. There's only 3 millions, but 3000 thousands.

Taking my entire post and only finding one problem with it? You have much work to do, my friend. Nitpicking about one word? You're above that.
    What work to do? What friend? Above what?
    You confidently stated a misleading fact. It's not nitpicking to point out the difference between thousands and millions of people when it goes hand in hand with democratic movement to change laws.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast