Thread: storing male pollen

unlockit is offline Registered+

storing male pollen

i would like to keep some pollen from a strong healthy male after im done breeding.. does anyone know the best way to store it thanks!

twoguysupnorth is offline Registered+
    there was a study in either hightimes or CC about last 6 months ago, he tried several ways of storing it. either in a dry cool place in a paper bag or in the refrigerator were the winner, trying to freeze it collapsed the cells. ref. did too after a while but most stayed viable. i have never done it long term but a paper sack worked well for me. only a couple of months. moisture and water will ruin them too. he had close up micro shots to show the pollen in different stages and storage methods.
    aint she pretty?

Alaric is offline Registered+
    I've used a contact lens case and added just a little baking soda----put in the crisper section of the fridge. Still good after 12 months-----don't know about anything longer.

Alaric

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    I've used a contact lens case and added just a little baking soda----put in the crisper section of the fridge. Still good after 12 months-----don't know about anything longer.

Alaric
    if that works pretty consistently, that's a good length of time, definitely enough to carry you thru to your next crop ...

Ghettoguy is offline Registered+
    Been freezing all the time, still good after years...

ShastaCoMan is offline Banned
    the easiest way to store male pollen is to collect it of course (i use plain white printer paper) put it in a sunny or warm location to nsure all of the moisture is gone, and then collect it on Q tips. put the q tips in a seal a meal bag, and vaccum all of the air out. stores just fine in the fridge for up to 6 months easy. if your storing it from an indoor grow during the winter months, you can out it in a garage,shop,ect. anyplace cool works fine
    no need to freeze it, just keep it cool

ValkyrieAg is offline Registered+
    One time I wanted to make a batch of seeds for some reason. It was WW as i recall. I stored pollen from a definitely male flower....stored it exactly 14 days and then pollinated some flowers. I ended up getting a 5 to 1 ratio with them. True story.
    Looking for Medical Patients to serve as boardmembers. Please contact me!

robertjones2001 is offline Registered
    Did I ever respond to you to offer to be a patient on your board? I am willing to do if you meet my strict criteria for true compassion and potential for success. Feel free to contact me directly at robertjones2001 at gmail.com.