Cannabis.com

Thread: Salicyliac Acid

Dr. Bloor is offline Registered+

Salicyliac Acid

I just read an article in the WSJ today about large pumpkin growers. There latest thing is to use aspirin. Salicyliac acid on there plants to prevent disease. They say that a couple of aspirins crushed into a gallon of water and then sprayed onto their plants helps to prevent disease. These guys are real serious growers of huge squash. Like 1500 pounds. It may be something to think about. Has anyone else heard of this?
    When in doubt, whip it out

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

Opie Yutts is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bloor View Post
    Has anyone else heard of this?
    No, sorry.
    PLEASE STOP BY MY FOGGING THREAD
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

Stinkyattic : Have you read of this?

GoldenGoblin is offline Registered+
    Now wouldn't that be something strange that might be something...good or just something strange.

Looked around...
    seems like this may have more benefit for fighting disease and tolerance.

The hypothesis that physiologically activeconcentrations of salicylic acid (SA) and itsderivatives can confer stress tolerance in plants wasevaluated using bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) andtomato (Lycopersicon esculentum L.). Plantsgrown from seeds imbibed in aqueous solutions (0.1--0.5 mM) of salicylic acid or acetyl salicylic acid(ASA) displayed enhanced tolerance to heat, chillingand drought stresses. Seedlings acquired similarstress tolerance when SA or ASA treatments wereapplied as soil drenches. The fact that seedimbibition with SA or ASA confers stress tolerance inplants is more consistent with a signaling role ofthese molecules, leading to the expression oftolerance rather than a direct effect. Induction ofmultiple stress tolerance in plants by exogenousapplication of SA and its derivatives may have asignificant practical application in agriculture,horticulture and forestry.

Aspirin for plants - research finding of the century??
    Last edited by GoldenGoblin; Sep-07-2007 at 14:13.
    ----
    Michigan Medical Marijuana Association Organization
    Full text of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act
    State of Michigan MMJ FAQ

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

"I despise all weavers of the dark arts...speaking of which pass the gravy."
    -Korgoth

rhizome is offline Registered+
    Nice ref- Thank you

GoldenGoblin is offline Registered+
    well thats just the first search i found
    it seems there is some merit to it just not sure if it relates to cannabis, but the New Zealand team did use tomatoes which I have always assumed was close.

there is another subject on this too which has to do with gene expression
    cant find much on it though
    Last edited by GoldenGoblin; Sep-07-2007 at 16:20.
    ----
    Michigan Medical Marijuana Association Organization
    Full text of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act
    State of Michigan MMJ FAQ

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

"I despise all weavers of the dark arts...speaking of which pass the gravy."
    -Korgoth

Weedhound is offline Registered+
    For a completely pointless add on.....I know when I buy flowers (already cut) sometimes the directions talk about adding an aspirin to the water. They say it helps keep the flowers from wilting.......

I said it was pointless at the beginning....
    Haze(y) Grow Log:
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...-grow-log.html

"Your deeds show your character."-StinkyAttic

Opie Yutts is offline Registered+
    I don't think that's completely pointless. It's probably very relavent.

I must be, because I was going to say that.

Hey Weedhound, what is that dog in your avitar? Is it full grown? I want one, I think.
    Last edited by Opie Yutts; Sep-07-2007 at 19:39.
    PLEASE STOP BY MY FOGGING THREAD
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGoblin View Post
    Now wouldn't that be something strange that might be something...good or just something strange.

Looked around...
    seems like this may have more benefit for fighting disease and tolerance.

The hypothesis that physiologically activeconcentrations of salicylic acid (SA) and itsderivatives can confer stress tolerance in plants wasevaluated using bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) andtomato (Lycopersicon esculentum L.). Plantsgrown from seeds imbibed in aqueous solutions (0.1--0.5 mM) of salicylic acid or acetyl salicylic acid(ASA) displayed enhanced tolerance to heat, chillingand drought stresses. Seedlings acquired similarstress tolerance when SA or ASA treatments wereapplied as soil drenches. The fact that seedimbibition with SA or ASA confers stress tolerance inplants is more consistent with a signaling role ofthese molecules, leading to the expression oftolerance rather than a direct effect. Induction ofmultiple stress tolerance in plants by exogenousapplication of SA and its derivatives may have asignificant practical application in agriculture,horticulture and forestry.

Aspirin for plants - research finding of the century??
    That was way more than I was looking for. However I do think there may be something to think about here, I do know some serious growers that use it.

What that essentially says is yes it may be something to do. Asa may be a good thing to do on theses plants. It is used in the Central valley on many plant it seems. I think I will try that on the next crop. Thanks GG

Quote Originally Posted by rhizome View Post
    Nice ref- Thank you
    That was a bit of good information, thankxs!

[QUOTE=rhizome;1635006]Nice ref- Thank you[/QUOT
    Thanks for the good information!

I am doing it on my next grow. Dr. Bloor

When I used to grow (a few years ago) I heard you could use 1-2 aspirin (uncoated-caffeine free) per gallon of water (3 applications in a row) to stress a female into forcing male flowers. So I tried.
    Seemed to work ok on (firmly rooted) female clones, but took too long for newly-sexed adolescents. (At least for that harvest. Females would be ready just before pollen sacs would open) Resultant pollen produced about to 80% or so fem seeds. Did this for the Swazi, C-99xSweet Tooth, and Shiskaberry I had seeds for. No later hermie problems, that I noticed.

Anyone else try this?

p.s. I used to grow in soil, and don't know of usage in hydro...

That is interesting.