Cannabis.com

Thread: Vertical Growing ... new age of hydroponics

Thehulkster321 is offline Registered+

Vertical Growing ... new age of hydroponics

Vertical Growing is still new to cannabis growers but after doing some research I think it could quadrouble some one yield compared to a flat garden of the same square footage and also takes advantage of lumens by not using reflectors and rather having the light hit the side of the plant instead of the canopy.

There are a few commercial systems out there for vertcal gradens...

Coliseum
    Coliseum 300 Plant Growing System Maxi (5x600w) / Vertical Growing Complete Grow Kits / Vertical Growing Systems / AquaCulture Hydroponics

Grow Cube

Cannabis Cage
    The cannabis cage

Omega Garden
    OmegaGarden.com - Omega Gardens™: Industry Leading Hydroponics Designs for Indoor Gardening

Colseum: 73 cubic feet
    Grow Cube: 81 cubic feet
    Cannabis Cage: 32 cubic feet
    Omega Garden: 24 cubic feet
    Flat Garden: 13 cubic feet

Average yield should be 0.1 pound per cubic foot

Coliseum: 7.3 pounds (1600w)
    Grow Cube: 8.1 pounds (2000w)
    Cannabis Cage: 3.2 pounds (1000w)
    Omega Garden: 2.4 pounds (1200w)
    Flat Garden: 1.3 pounds (1000w)

The math shows that vertical systems produce a hgher yield per cubic/square footage but even though you could get 8.1 pounds compared to 1.3 pounds I feel that f I were to design my own system I could produce a much higher yield.

The commercial vertical systems are not sticking to the SOG rule to 4 plants per square foot.

Coliseum is 7 feet tall and 6 foot diameter ... the suraface area of the sides of the coliseum equal 131.88

Circumference: 18.84ft x Height: 7 ft. = surface area of 131.88 ft.

131.88 x 4 plants per square foot = 527.52 plants

The coliseum is maxing out at 300 plant stes and at the optimal ounce per plant rule should be producng 18.75 pounds

If maxed out it could possibly be producing 32.97 pounds in under 6 square feet of space!

Ovbiosly this couldnt work becuase to fit 527 plant sites the plants would have to be completly horizontal but I will be makng up a desgn and posting it later designing something simaler to the coliseum but sticking to the 4 plants per square foot rule. I believe from the rough sketch I drew and the math I did I could fit around 500 plants in 6 square feet of space and produce over 30 pounds

There are also some problems to go with this ... at 131 square feet I should need a ton of light.

40w per square foot x 131 ft. = 5240w

5240w in such a small space could cuase some problems ... there are some solutions such as strechting the diameter, use of fans, and water cooled lights but first I want to get a solid design down. I just wanted to share my thoughts first and get some input.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

pudder is offline Registered+
    WOW will follow up on this one. Like the idea.

oldsanclem is offline Registered+

Exclamation more plant mo money , mo time

Let me think about this , 1-5-10-15+ years ago , yea it still works. All but the federal plant count.
    Damn feds 100 plants , a leaf with one root , or a tree, its still one plant.

Nice idea though. I'd like to try that perhaps on a smaller plant count.

klondike_bar is offline Banned
    unfortunately, many of those numbers have much less meaning when u realize that the lighting is from 1000-2000 in all the different setups. that 8.1 oz in 2000 watts may only be 4 oz with 1000watts

thecreator is offline Registered+
    I think its an ok idea but it really wouldn't be all that difficult to make this at home on a smaller scale. Maybe just get a system like that and get a communal reservoir or something along that line hmm just a thought and who know one of our fellow members could have a home made working column at home. The sky's the limit, latez.
    Cannabis reveals a gateway unto the soul taking you on a spiritual venture through your very core. Your existence is often challenged and emerging out of the dark wood unscathed and in current mindset says you want to be here to a certain extent. So lets make the best of it and try to master the world around us, as ever changing as it may be.

sd6515 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by klondike_bar View Post
    unfortunately, many of those numbers have much less meaning when u realize that the lighting is from 1000-2000 in all the different setups. that 8.1 oz in 2000 watts may only be 4 oz with 1000watts
    it says 8.1 lbs not oz. so i would say that is still impressive, 4lbs from 1000 watts

potwarrior is offline Registered
    is this only for vegging? do you need to change the bulbs for flowering.

has anyone tried this for medical cannabis, yet? im guessing that the plants will be very very short, since the distance between the light and the net pot holders are close, 2-3ft)

frostymcfailure is offline Registered+
    i kind of doubt it would work on cannabis unless it was a really shitty SOG but even then im just unsure teh lil metal guirters provide the root space necessary (& equivalent to 1gallon PF) for decent cannabis plants, i could be wrong no doubt,.

d4twamp is offline Registered+
    Hulkster, You can grow a lot less plants in huge recirculating DWC buckets w/ the same amount of vertical lighting and yield even more than that...with a lot less plants to have to explain to the popo, even if you have a medical card. if you don't believe it do a search on "shaggy to dope" he will make a believer out of you too...

D
    With a little imagination, courage, and ambition, anything you desire is within your reach...
    It's always 4 TWAMP in the dirty five thirty!!!
    People seldom recognize opportunity, because it comes disguised as hard work