Cannabis.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkness Before Harvest?

killerweed420 is offline Banned

Darkness Before Harvest?

Anybody used 2 or 3 days of darkness before harvest? Does it increase resin production?

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

porch24 is offline Registered
    Heard it has but I don't know for sure, plan on doing it to my plants though just to see.

Yeah but without a GC/MS machine how would you know?

anbesol is offline Registered+
    I dont know fully but Jerry Garcia 2007 swears upon 3 days. I do 2 days, and i do notice more resin glands. But i dont have a scale to tell.
    *Disclaimer: I do not know anything about Cannabis and Cannabis Growing. Anything Said is Made up Fiction and All images Posted are available freely on the internet. This is a Public Computer. This Forum Is used as a Fantasy World and anything said is not true about myself or anyone i know*

NYC Diesel&Hypnoberry-http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ypnoberry.html
    NYC Diesel- http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ty-diesel.html

I tried the 'total darkness the last 3 days' my last 3 grows ... I noticed zero difference, but give it a shot, costs nuthin' to try ... be sure to keep your fans going though, ya don't want high humidity/mold problems ...

It would be very hard to tell if there is any real difference. I might try it with a couple plants.

allrollsin21 is offline Registered+
    It may not cost anything to try, but it will actually safe some money as the lights get to remain OFF. That is always a nice feeling after having them humming for so long.
    If it causes no harm, then it sounds like a benefit. Of course this is a way to advanced method for me
    "If we want a beautiful garden, we must first have a blueprint in the imagination, a vision" - His Holiness the Dalai Lama

trancefusion5 is offline Registered+
    Ive always thought about just turning the light on for shorter times the last three days. Like maybe put it on 8/16 so you could at least have a little light to cut back on possible mold and keep the humidity down a little. Think this would help or work?
    Donít waive you rights with your flag...

Got Kottonmouth?

SnSstealth is offline Registered+
    In no way am I suggesting you experiment and try this, but I have ALWAYS done the 3 days darkness, and shove a nail through the stalks. Old wives tale that it forces the plants to push out more resin. I have never NOT done this, so I couldn't tell ya if it works or not. Seemed logical to me....but again, just my
    whiskeytango
    Your style will eventually match your grow area and the amount of time and money you like to put into initial setup vs. long term maintenance.-stinkyattic

LED growing- An instructional grow log
    Episode 3...Revenge of the LED
    Episode 4: The Clone Colonies

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    A stake through the heart is for killing vampires!
    The lights-off thing... There's no reason NOT to, and if you run a perpetual grow and need the space for incoming plants, that's a good reason TO!
    As for forcing the plant to push out more resin.. Wives tale. But a harmless one.

SnSstealth is offline Registered+
    call me Van Helsing
    whiskeytango
    Your style will eventually match your grow area and the amount of time and money you like to put into initial setup vs. long term maintenance.-stinkyattic

LED growing- An instructional grow log
    Episode 3...Revenge of the LED
    Episode 4: The Clone Colonies

Thanks everybody for posting. I have a perpetual grow so I can't turn the lights off, I'd just stuff them in a closet for a couple days. I guess I could always spray a little honey oil on them and make them more potent.

GreenDestiny is offline Registered+
    Try hitting them with a little extra UV light towards the end... just for the plants that are finishing up. That's the only proven method for increasing resin I know of.

It got me to thinking... during the last 3 days of darkness, cut on the UV lights only, for a couple hours per day or however long they're normally used for during a light cycle. Dunno if that would do anything more or not than just pure darkness.

If that don't work, cast a magic missile at the darkness and have a mountain dew.
    "There's no right, there's no wrong, there's only popular opinion." - 12 Monkeys.
    The hemp plant is our perfect symbiote! Down with capitalism, materialism, fascism, war, and superficialness! Long live the biosphere! *Proud offspring of a draft dodger*

my new little babies

Caution...using UV light is hazardous to your health. To mention the technique without also warning others of possible eye damage, skin damage, risks in general...seems a tad irresponsible.

Last I heard, it wasn't proven that the UV bumps the concentration of psychoactives in the trichomes, but would love an up-to-date link proving me wrong...

Stinky: Was just thinking...(rut-ro)...
    Decades ago, (about thirty years ago) when I first started with my attempts to grow, an old friend used to scar the base of his plant, and a few of the side branches. Every day or two in flower, he'd scratch into the 'bark' of the cannabis plant. Not much, just a scratch, thru to the cambrium layer. He said it was to trick the plant into thinking it was under attack by insects, and in response, she increases potency.

Never really thought about it till now, as he was a lot like that guy, Jim...on the sit-com Taxi.
    Have you ever heard of this technique? Would love to have another myth dispelled, but as trichomes are used for self defense from bugs and such, it does seem feasible/possible. Instead of it increasing potency tho, could it have actually increased trichome production...?
    Hmmm...photo-voltaic cannabis bugs to aid in trichome productioin...
    Rusty's
    Original
    Bugs, for
    Overproducing
    Trichomes
    ...Rusty's ROBOTs...has a nice ring to it.
    Last edited by Rusty Trichome; Aug-21-2008 at 08:38.

While you might increase resin production- MIGHT- you are also quite likely going to stress the plant into producing.... wait for it...wait for it... NANNERS! eww.
    Classic pot plant response to stress.

You want more oomph, use a carbohydrate supplement.
    You want more sparkly, run SnowStorm.
    Heck, run both!

Both cheap and effective!!!

Actually, I've got some Carbo Load on the way, but have used molasses for quite a while. Was just something I remembered from a while back. I would get some Penetrator and Liquid Light, but for those prices...it's almost cheaper to purchase buds on the street.

I watched him do it often. Wasn't a butchery...just a 'nick' or two, and on different branches, and different spots near the base. No ill affects noticed at the time, but I was a true newbie that (until meeting this guy) thought a male plant could turn a female into males. Biology wasn't my strongest suit, lol.
    Don't get me wrong folks, I'm not advocating anyone do this, as it was likely akin to knocking on wood. (superstition) Back then, wives tales were the rule of green-thumb.

It's not something I've ever tried on my own plants, and is nothing I've heard repeated here, but thought I'd ask the pro's.

Penetrator is basically a fancy surfactant from what I understand. The low budget way to mimic its action is adding a drop of dish soap to your foliar sprays.

GreenDestiny is offline Registered+
    oh yeah duh (hits head) I forgot about extra carbs and nutrient stuff! Another thing I remember is cooler temps make the plant produce more resin to protect from the cold. Also hotter temps to keep from losing too much moisture. Dang, it seems like a lot of things could possibly affect it now that I think about it.

Ok, so I "forgot" to mention something about the UV.... no big deal, no reason to be so smug about it. Is there a special list of things which requires us to attach a friendly warning about possible dangers? I always just assumed it's common knowledge that UV rays are harmful. Like that big bright thing in the sky we have to deal with every day...

If I were to mention the technique of growing outdoors would I have to warn against the Sun's harmful UV rays and tell them to wear sunscreen, a hat, long sleeves, and pants just so someone won't try to make me look "irresponsible" for failing to volunteer the extra info?

Here, as a friendly reminder to people that are unaware of a UV bulb's dangers: It is YOUR responsibility to read the warning labels on the package. Don't solely depend on info that you get from anonymous people. Consult a licensed professional or verifiable official documentation. Pray for extra protection. By the way, do not try to swallow the bulb.

Anyways I haven't read anything to discount that the UV light is another factor for causing more resin production... to absorb the UV rays from letting it damage the buds. As for actual cannbinoid production there's not enough solid info... Like an old study from 1983 that found more THC is produced. And some stuff saying which wavelengths THC, CBD and CBN absorb the most. Someone needs to study that stuff more to see if they can replicate the same findings.
    "There's no right, there's no wrong, there's only popular opinion." - 12 Monkeys.
    The hemp plant is our perfect symbiote! Down with capitalism, materialism, fascism, war, and superficialness! Long live the biosphere! *Proud offspring of a draft dodger*

my new little babies

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDestiny View Post
    ...Ok, so I "forgot" to mention something about the UV.... no big deal, no reason to be so smug about it.
    No big deal...but I do feel the responsibility of warning folks of the dangers, trumps your forgetfulness and your 'safety-last' approach. After all..YOU are the one that brought up the UV light, not me. Also, you didn't mention any technique to limit exposure to the light. (a switch that cut's-off the light when you open the door, for instance)

I always just assumed it's common knowledge that UV rays are harmful.
    Ahh...you assume...
    I would assume that all drivers know that McDonalds coffee is hot...but each cup warns of us the fact. I would think that smoking is widely known to be a carcinogen, but each pack warns of the dangers. Do you really forget that objects in the mirror may appear smaller? The warnings are there for a reason. And yes...some people are morons that need it spelled-out, over and over and over again..

If I were to mention the technique of growing outdoors would I have to warn against the Sun's harmful UV rays and tell them to wear sunscreen, a hat, long sleeves, and pants just so someone won't try to make me look "irresponsible" for failing to volunteer the extra info?
    Not likely, as the sun's rays are intense enough to make you realize fairly quickly, that your skin is being cooked. UV lamps offer no real physical warnings. They slowly cook your skin and eyes, un-noticed.

Not all members are as intelligent as you. That's the point. We are not a single-minded group, with the same education level, and not likely all of 'em immediatelly associate the sun's harmful rays with this bulb.
    Somewhat more likely, they associate the thing with an expensive light bulb they heard may increase trichome production.
    I forget... Which UV rays are harmful...UVA or UVB?

If you are going to tell a story, likely best (for those that you are offering your opinion to) to tell the whole story.
    Last edited by Rusty Trichome; Aug-22-2008 at 09:00.

It is YOUR responsibility to read the warning labels on the package. ....By the way, do not try to swallow the bulb.
    Hahahaha!!! I lol'd! Twice!

Wait, make that three times. AWESOME.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Penetrator is basically a fancy surfactant from what I understand. The low budget way to mimic its action is adding a drop of dish soap to your foliar sprays.
    Cool, thanks. Any word on what to substitute for the Liquid Light?
    (worth a try, lol)

Algag is offline Registered+
    Hey stinky what is snowstorm? Can't find any info on google.

algag, also look up 'purple maxx' and 'stacker'. The product has been re-named at least twice haha. It's made by Humboldt fertilizers, the company that makes Gravity. It's a kelp-derived hormone that encourages both surface resin formation, and increased purple pigment development in strains that are already capable of that.

JersHaze is offline Registered
    I experimented with this on my last grow. It was Nirvana BB x NL. At harvest time, I let half of the crop sit in darkness for 48 hrs. The rest I harvested right away(yes the test group got two more days). It was REALLY close. I had three other people look at the buds with me from botch harvests. I can say with much certanty that the group exposed to the dark period has a LITTLE more cystals on them. But that is what this is all about, a bunch of little changes to hopefully make one BIG one.

Jer

guitarman42 is offline Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by the image reaper View Post
    I tried the 'total darkness the last 3 days' my last 3 grows ... I noticed zero difference, but give it a shot, costs nuthin' to try ... be sure to keep your fans going though, ya don't want high humidity/mold problems ...
    Ya it cost 3 days time when it should be gettin light and producing thc. hee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast