Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Things to do before harvest

HighonaMountain is offline Registered+

Things to do before harvest

hey everybody. i just wanted to see if i could get a little coversation about techniques that help before harvesting. i have read about stopping nutes a week before and just using plain phd water, also i have read about a dark period before chopping down but i don't know anything about that, how long or whatever. Any experiences with these techniques or any others are what we need to discuss....Let me know what u guys think
    Shovelhandle likes this.

Italiano715 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by HighonaMountain View Post
    hey everybody. i just wanted to see if i could get a little coversation about techniques that help before harvesting. i have read about stopping nutes a week before and just using plain phd water, also i have read about a dark period before chopping down but i don't know anything about that, how long or whatever. Any experiences with these techniques or any others are what we need to discuss....Let me know what u guys think
    I stopped feeding my ladies nutes at three weeks before harvest, as I only gave it ph corrected water and molasses for 2 weeks then I didn't water at all the last week before harvest to pre-dry the bud to speed up the drying process...Dried them pretty well in about 4-5 days.

Also, I have heard of putting your plants in a dark period before flowering, but never before harvest! I don't think it would do anything before harvest, but then again I could be wrong!
    "Make the most of the Indian Hemp Seed and sow it every where."
    - George Washington

"A dope fiend refers to the reefer butt as a roach, because, it resembles a cockroach." L. Ron Bumquist: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I generally use the "I need room, so you're outta here" method of chosing when to harvest, but other than a mini-flush a day or two prior to harvest...I do nothing special.

Keep in mind, as you pick-n-choose harvest techniques...that there are shitloads of 'old wives tales' that are generally benign. They won't really damage your ladies, but they don't help, either. Folklore was, in the old days, a farmers' replacement for knowledge.

Stuff like 3 days of darkness before harvest...Restricting all of the plants energy (the light) is thought-of as a way to increase trichomes. Really? Trichomes produce the compounds that are the active ingredient in cannabis smoke. They (trichomes) grow in response to light, as a defense against the light. (especially UVB) If you cut the light, you cut the production of trichomes, and by extention, the thc and cbn. Why the fuck would you quit just before the finish line? Look at your skin. See all the pores? What this technique is trying to say is...that darkness will increase the numbers of pores per square inch, in your skin. Does this sound legit...? It shouldn't...because it's not. The strain's genetics told that leaf how many pores per square inch to produce, and restricting light for a couple of days is not going to change this.

Flushing the nutrients out of the plant is another. You can flush from now till mid-term elections, and not be able to flush the nutes out of a plant. I believe the idea started-out as flushing the soil, (a normal and proper technique) and digressed into a biologically stupid technique. Keep in mind, you can restrict nutrient uptake, but trying to flush them from the plant is unlikely at best, harmful and damaging at worst.

And my favorite...waiting till Scorpio leaves Saturn before harvest. Planet-allignment theology is a man-made phenomenon that plants are unaffected by. (nobody has let them in on the joke) And I don't remember ever talking to one, but I'm positive that the etherial gods couldn't care less when you planted or when you harvest. They care more about how and where you planted, feeding and light schedules, and other proper gardening techniques.

Finally...coffee is ready. HAGD
    Last edited by Rusty Trichome; Apr-25-2009 at 08:55.
    Aliens and Esteban1 like this.

hey thanks a lot for the posts guys. yeah i always thought that the dark period before harvest sounded like BS. i probably will stop nutes just a week before or something just to conserve nutes. hey rusty i used the soil syrup bout a week ago and the ladies seem to really love it, thanks for the tip! so if anyone can think of any other pre-harvest techniques post em here!!!

Hanging upside-down after harvest is another 'technique' that's misunderstood by some. Hanging upside down draws the moisture twords the buds, and some folks (me included) used to think that this would increase (trap) the plants resins, resulting in a stronger product. (1970's) All it does, though...is to slow the dryout process. (a precursor to curing)

so when i hang the buds on string in the dark closet i should try and tie the branches right side up?

I usually hang them upside down for the sole purpose that it is a convenient way to dry the bud. You could put them on a steel rack and let them dry that way if you don't want to hang them. I mean it's really what is more convenient for yourself!
    Esteban1 likes this.
    - George Washington

"A dope fiend refers to the reefer butt as a roach, because, it resembles a cockroach." L. Ron Bumquist: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

yeah italiano thats what i've seen. we'll see i still have a few weeks to decide

Quote Originally Posted by Italiano715 View Post
    I usually hang them upside down for the sole purpose that it is a convenient way to dry the bud. You could put them on a steel rack and let them dry that way if you don't want to hang them. I mean it's really what is more convenient for yourself!
    Like in the oven, or the microwave... (emergencies only, lol)

I hang em for a couple of days, disect them from the branches, into a loosely-closed brown un-waxed grocery bag till dry enough for glass jars. I remove them from the jars once a day for a few minutes, to prevent mold. Smoke as needed.
    Last edited by Rusty Trichome; Apr-26-2009 at 21:08.
    Shovelhandle and Esteban1 like this.

yeah i read that paper bag method in an old cannabis culture magazine. when u say a couple of days do u mean like 2 because from most of what i read hanging should last about a week.

JD1stTimer is offline Registered+
    I don't think the orientation when drying changes how fast they dry. Gravity doesn't pull the water out of the plant. The water first transpires rom the leaves while the plant is living, and then it just evaporates naturally. Unrestricted airflow, air movement, low humidity, and heat are the only things that will make it dry faster.
    You know you're high when you wonder why moms everywhere choose Lysol when to normal squares it's no wonder. And if a Woolite Pod commercial somehow makes you think of sex.

so is there a straight answer on this hanging issue? anyone out there know of any good reading on the subject?

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+

fluid69 is offline Registered+
    check out the curing bud link in my signature. they discuss the myth about hanging your buds upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by JD1stTimer View Post
    I don't think the orientation when drying changes how fast they dry. Gravity doesn't pull the water out of the plant. The water first transpires rom the leaves while the plant is living, and then it just evaporates naturally. Unrestricted airflow, air movement, low humidity, and heat are the only things that will make it dry faster.
    To add to that, make sure you have a fan circulating in the room, but make sure the fan is not blowing directly on the drying buds as you will dry the outside of the bud too fast.
    - George Washington

frostymcfailure is offline Registered+
    rusty trich hit that nail on the head. Driving nails through the stalk 2 weeks before harvest IS NOT a good idea!

thanks for all the great posts guys and i look forward to reading that curing article. Yo frosty what do u mean by this:
    Quote Originally Posted by frostymcfailure View Post
    Driving nails through the stalk 2 weeks before harvest IS NOT a good idea!

Anyone over here, check out my flowering ladies

okay i was doing some reading and i had a few questions for anyone out there still following. So drying in a relative humidity of 50-60%, i have a problem because the humidity in my drying room is about 30%, should i really get a humidifier or do i not have to worry about it? Also i read that just cutting the plant down and hanging it up was the best way, not cutting any of the fan leaves or larger leaves on the buds until they are dry. Is this best or what do u guys have to say about when to trim during drying and how to hang best? Lets have some opinions

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+
    I think you are better off drying in 30% humidity...IMO. Indirect air flow on the plants.

I just cut and hang in a dark, cool room...until the stem breaks with a SNAP sound...about 5-10 days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Things to do before harvest-colas-001.jpg  
    Esteban1 likes this.

yeah thats probably what i'm gonna do anyway because i don't want to fuck with a humidifier in my small closet, thanks DP

Quote Originally Posted by HighonaMountain View Post
    yeah thats probably what i'm gonna do anyway because i don't want to fuck with a humidifier in my small closet, thanks DP
    plus why waste money on one when you don't need it....that's what I did was to just simply hang it in a dark cool place. I don't ever think about the humidity as it shouldn't be a problem inside. Well not my problem anywho.
    - George Washington

well the way i have my closet set up now with a standing fan intake and a bathroom exhaust fan out take, the air circulation is exellent and with the light out of there it will be perfect i think. thanks for the input from one italian to the other

frostymcfailure is offline Registered+
    but other than a mini-flush a day or two prior to harvest...I do nothing special.
    I was always given the 2week figure of prior flush-ing til harvest, was this wrong? I understand i think if they are organic but a 2day flush on the commerical ferts like fox farm high octane tri pack? Generally speaking if one wouldnt smoke it themselves its not worthy to pass onto the community.

hey frosty a week or two of straight ph'd water is a good idea for any harvest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast