Thread: Clones with Dome

gypski is offline Registered+

Clones with Dome

Ok, I'm doing a new pair of clones taken from the same donors as the other clones I have in Let the Cloning Begin. This time I'm using a dome that I made from two liter Pepsi bottles because I drink Pepsi and they are clear. I put each clone under its own dome and they are on the floor level with some seedlings and the other rooted clones now in cups.

Let's see how these do and how fast they root under this method. I'm using Grodan Rockwool Plant Starter Plugs (round), with Rootech cloning gel. I pre-soaked my plugs with a solution of two liters H2O, 1/2 Tblsp Big Bloom, 1/4 tsp Grow Big. I will use this to wet the plugs in conjunction with regular H2O through the rooting period, and will keep the dome on as long as necessary up to one week.

One clone has a couple of small growth tips that I trimmed from where I was going to apply the gel and split the stem. I placed both of these small cuttings in a cup of water with their stems below the water to see if they will root this way. Better then tossing them in the trash. Just another part of this experiment for some.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clones with Dome-new-clones.jpg   Clones with Dome-new-clone-dome.jpg  

budlover13 is offline Registered+
    The plastic bottles work great! Don't forget that a heating pad will often increase your root growth too.

Quote Originally Posted by budlover13 View Post
    The plastic bottles work great! Don't forget that a heating pad will often increase your root growth too.
    I also mist them with a diluted solution of the solution I soaked the plugs with. Its half nute solution and half H2O in what I use to mist with, an old cd cleaner spray bottle.

Should be fine. Mist according to the plants needs though, not on a schedule. I've seen many clones die from too much moisture, I generally spray mine about every 2 days or so.

Quote Originally Posted by budlover13 View Post
    Should be fine. Mist according to the plants needs though, not on a schedule. I've seen many clones die from too much moisture, I generally spray mine about every 2 days or so.
    The dome should cut down on the need to mist too often. That's the purpose of the dome, and I misted them pretty good. Still, its one day at a time!! And this is a comparison as to how I did the ones that have now rooted without a dome.

I love playing around in the grow room! I think that's why a lot of plants look like a bonzai! I just chopped one of my GrapeApes and will do the other in about 2 days. I THINK I have finally rooted 3 of the GA clones I took.

Rusty's Clone Dome

Cheap, easy, effective...
    15 3/4 x 21 3/4 x 7 7/8 inches by Clear Stack. (a WalMart purchase)
    Comes with it's own semi-opaque lid, but I had a piece of plexiglass and a clone-dome cover handy.
    About $5.00 each in a 3-pack.
    Drainage rocks in the bottom of the box, rather than the bottom of each cup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clones with Dome-clone-box-1_1024x766.jpg   Clones with Dome-clone-box-2_1024x766.jpg  
    Last edited by Rusty Trichome; Dec-28-2010 at 10:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    Cheap, easy, effective...
    15 3/4 x 21 3/4 x 7 7/8 inches by Clear Stack. (a WalMart purchase)
    Comes with it's own semi-opaque lid, but I had a piece of plexiglass and a clone-dome cover handy.
    About $5.00 each in a 3-pack.
    Drainage rocks in the bottom of the box, rather than the bottom of each cup.
    I thought about using one of those things in the past. The plexiglass is better then the thick plastic lid. And the way the ones I have domed right now are doing, I think I will use a dome from here on out. The others I did without are coming back into their own though. And since I'm maxed out on legal quota I won't be doing any more for a while after these last two, and the two that I have in only water if they take.

Here is the new pair after 12 days. They were under the dome for 10. One shows more yellowing then the other, and I noticed that the plug is cold, so they aren't getting enough heat to the plug under the conditions they are living in. Now I know why its taking longer for them to root, but............for now, things will have to be what will be!! They will survive!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clones with Dome-clones-12-days.jpg  

Here are the two that I cloned with the dome after two weeks. I put them in cups because they are going!!! the one in the back is from earlier clones that I did without the dome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clones with Dome-clones-1111.jpg