Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Can Plants revert from flower to veg state?

sunbiz1 is offline Banned

Can Plants revert from flower to veg state?

I'm an outdoor grower that has recently taken up indoor as a hobby. Last November, I became bored and started the pics you will see below. 3 weeks ago, I transplanted the 4 plants into 5 gallon buckets. There were 6 originally, 2 were obvious males that I tossed(although seed stock is another topic I would like to discuss in the future). The remaining 4 are in the south windows indoors where they were started.

I now have 2 4-month old plants(the other 2 are reluctantly still vegging)enjoying a natural 12-12 light cycle indoors when I don't want flowers until August. I've heard that plants can live up to 12 years under a variety of conditions. Can I leave these plants, and expect them to switch back to a vegetative growth state as is?. I hope the pics help.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Biz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can Plants revert from flower to veg state?-march-11-002.jpg   Can Plants revert from flower to veg state?-march-11-005.jpg   Can Plants revert from flower to veg state?-march-11-003.jpg  

canniwhatsis is offline Registered+
    Yes, as the day's continue to increase in length, they will revert back to vege, tho they will continue to flower for a while now, and the switch back will be a bit more stressful and take longer if left on the natural light cycle. If possible you can use supplemental light to artificially increase the light cycle and trigger re-vege sooner.

Good luck and your girls are lookin awful nice! They will be TREE's if you vege em until August!!!
    I'm not a botanist but I play one on the internet!

All posts by this user should be considered fictional and are for entertainment use only.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

If any posts made by this user are considered offensive please un-read them

Weezard is offline Registered+
    Yes, they can.
    Surest way is to shorten their night.

Easiest way to do that is tack on a couple hours of light in the morning, or evening.

Don't take much to "keep 'em awake". A couple CFLs would work jus' fine.

As the days get longer you can cut back on the artificial light.

In Hawaii we can do re-grows outdoors.

Actually harvest buds and let them re-veg and re-bloom.
    Jus' gotta get the timing right.
    I've got a Thai plant doing a short season re-grow from a discarded rootball!
    Can Plants revert from flower to veg state?-early-spring.jpg

Aloha, sunbiz

Weezard
    Everyt'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html
    Plants do things for a reason..they don't just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound

"You have the ability to move 1000 times faster than your plant, but that doesn't mean that you should." - Emilya

Quote Originally Posted by canniwhatsis View Post
    Yes, as the day's continue to increase in length, they will revert back to vege, tho they will continue to flower for a while now, and the switch back will be a bit more stressful and take longer if left on the natural light cycle. If possible you can use supplemental light to artificially increase the light cycle and trigger re-vege sooner.

Good luck and your girls are lookin awful nice! They will be TREE's if you vege em until August!!!
    Both are pretty much dormant right now(poor girls don't know what to do, they think it's the first day of Fall!), while the other 2(not pictured)are actually about 50% larger due to non-flowering. I have a small indoor light set-up I can use for a month to extend the daylight. That should help revert them until the late April sun takes over.

Thanks for the feedback!

Biz

Quote Originally Posted by Weezard View Post
    Yes, they can.
    Surest way is to shorten their night.

Easiest way to do that is tack on a couple hours of light in the morning, or evening.

Don't take much to "keep 'em awake". A couple CFLs would work jus' fine.

As the days get longer you can cut back on the artificial light.

In Hawaii we can do re-grows outdoors.

Actually harvest buds and let them re-veg and re-bloom.
    Jus' gotta get the timing right.
    I've got a Thai plant doing a short season re-grow from a discarded rootball!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	early spring.jpg 
Views:	13425 
Size:	707.9 KB 
ID:	273483

Aloha, sunbiz

Weezard
    Good morning!,

Glad to see the familiar faces are still enjoying my favorite hobby as well!. That root ball pic of yours is something I should have tried last Fall. The hardiness of these plants never cease to amaze me. Mine kept growing even when cut 1" above the soil and removed from the buckets, for several weeks!. Since I am now almost out of seed stock(dumb move on my part tossing males for several years, lost several strains)I'll use these very early indoors as parents to clone.

Have a good week!

Biz
    crystaliscious likes this.

rudy2010 is offline Banned
    I have seen flowering plants go back to veg. However I have had little success in getting a plant out of the ground and back into the veg box. They just die. I think cutting the buds and most of the limbs then digging up the roots is just too much for the plant to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy2010 View Post
    I have seen flowering plants go back to veg. However I have had little success in getting a plant out of the ground and back into the veg box. They just die. I think cutting the buds and most of the limbs then digging up the roots is just too much for the plant to recover.
    Probably is too much stress, I've never dug up and saved my in the ground plants after harvesting. I have done it with younger plants though, had to a few years back due to spider mites. They were in the ground for a month, then I dug them up and brought home where I nursed them back to health. Then I put them right back into the ground, 3 months later they were ready to harvest!.
    crystaliscious likes this.

I wish I could have save a couple of last summers plants to make sure I had the same strains this year but it did not work. I also killed my clones last fall when I was focused on harvesting and trimming and forgot to water. So I will try to get the same strains that I liked last year and hope I am still getting the same genomes.

You and me both my friend. I made the same mistake(and I knew better)last Fall. I focused all my spare time during the Summer/Fall for outdoor projects, and didn't even bother cloning. I have a decent seed stock, but I still lost a strain that was the best I have ever grown. In fact, I think I have an old pic of her here, I'll look around.

Hi all!

I need to re-visit this thread in hopes of another question being answered. The first plant(with the flower pic above)is seriously into flowering to the point of resin emission(smells great!). The other 3 are fine, those 3 will probably have to go into the ground at some point though. They have already been in 5 gallons of soil for a month, and another 6 months is much too long for the same soil. Other than a ton of LED bulbs, I have no indoor lighting system. So, I just moved my budding plant into a dark closet where it will remain in 13 hours of total darkness. Then I would obviously place it back into the south window for the remaining 11.

Think this will work to finish the job?

Thanks again for any input.

Biz

Weezard is offline Registered+
    Should do!

Weeze

That should work as long as the dark is longer than the light it should continue to bud.

I just started cutting my clones today. I hope the Sour Diesel is as good as the ones I had in the previous 3 years. I cloned the Chernobyl too. I still need to get to the Jack Herrer but it will have about 50 - 100 clones so will take a while. It is easy to focus on my veg and clone boxes now.

Quote Originally Posted by sunbiz1 View Post
    Hi all!

I need to re-visit this thread in hopes of another question being answered. The first plant(with the flower pic above)is seriously into flowering to the point of resin emission(smells great!). The other 3 are fine, those 3 will probably have to go into the ground at some point though. They have already been in 5 gallons of soil for a month, and another 6 months is much too long for the same soil. Other than a ton of LED bulbs, I have no indoor lighting system. So, I just moved my budding plant into a dark closet where it will remain in 13 hours of total darkness. Then I would obviously place it back into the south window for the remaining 11.

Think this will work to finish the job?

Thanks again for any input.

Biz
    That'll do it! Just don't forget to move the plant at about the same times,........ every day,..... for 3 months!!!!!! It get's OLD after the first month of moving her, I know!

All posts by this user should be considered fictional and are for entertainment use only.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

That should work as long as the dark is longer than the light it should continue to bud.

I just started cutting my clones today. I hope the Sour Diesel is as good as the ones I had in the previous 3 years. I cloned the Chernobyl too. I still need to get to the Jack Herrer but it will have about 50 - 100 clones so will take a while. It is easy to focus on my veg and clone boxes now.
    Same here, but it's a welcome change to have an unexpected Fall project in the Spring. I'm going to try a little cloning experiment just for fun. Many plant cuttings can successfully root when placed straight into potting soil. I'm going to give it a try. I take my cuttings underwater(2 person job)so that no air gets into the stalk. I'll use the root gel etc. and then into my starter soil I normally use for germinated seeds. Sounds like you have quite the handful there, good luck with the season!.

As for the flowering girl, she's coming along very slowly. I'm guessing it's still adjusting to a new schedule, not one yellowing leaf yet.

Peace

That'll do it! Just don't forget to move the plant at about the same times,........ every day,..... for 3 months!!!!!! It get's OLD after the first month of moving her, I know!
    At this rate, it will take 14 weeks. Most of mine are done between 8-10(12 max)depending on the outcome I want.

Just wanted to update with some new pics, girls are coming along nicely:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can Plants revert from flower to veg state?-girls-001.jpg   Can Plants revert from flower to veg state?-girls-002.jpg   Can Plants revert from flower to veg state?-girls-003.jpg  

Can Plants revert from flower to veg state?-girls-004.jpg   Can Plants revert from flower to veg state?-girls-005.jpg  

Purple Daddy is offline Registered+
    I've found reveging takes a considerable amount of time for the plant to fully pull out of the budding cycle. I had a plant I put outside too early in the spring, it started to flower so I put it under 20 hours of light and it went into shock and died. I have some spring harvest plants that I'm going to just leave outside and see what they do after I cut off most of the buds.

GaGrown is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Daddy View Post
    I've found reveging takes a considerable amount of time for the plant to fully pull out of the budding cycle. I had a plant I put outside too early in the spring, it started to flower so I put it under 20 hours of light and it went into shock and died. I have some spring harvest plants that I'm going to just leave outside and see what they do after I cut off most of the buds.

I've never had a plant that has died from going from one state to the other,or visa versa... I've also had them veg back in three weeks or so,after harvesting them. When 1 sprout comes back after revegging. Along with the light cycle... Then budding or flowering stage is done. When I say done.... I mean as soon as you set the light or dark cycle then they stop flowering. In the past 7 years never a death,with revegging!
    Give a man a fish,you feed him for a day! Teach a man to fish you feed him for life!

Ga Grown

A wise Man Once said; "Reminds me of an old saying I just made up..."A good gardener learns how to treat their garden. A great gardener learns how to treat their garden when shit happens."

Rusty Trichome!

http://boards.cannabis.com/redirect-...g%2Findex.html

For the reason you mentioned, I went in the opposite direction that I began this thread with. The results have been good thus far w/pistil growth after 10 days at 11.5 hours of direct sun. I should have turned lights on back in February in that bedroom to prevent them from pre-flowering. Your plant going into shock is interesting, someone posted here in another thread they leave their flowering plants in total darkness for 2 days(out of necessity)with no ill effects. Hopefully I'll never know the answer first-hand b/c I can't imagine drastic lighting changes being a good thing.

Purple Daddy is offline Registered+
    I've never had a plant that has died from going from one state to the other,or visa versa... I've also had them veg back in three weeks or so,after harvesting them. When 1 sprout comes back after revegging. Along with the light cycle... Then budding or flowering stage is done. When I say done.... I mean as soon as you set the light or dark cycle then they stop flowering. In the past 7 years never a death,with revegging! >>>>>>>>

I should have just let it finish, I grew it inside for two months to give it a good jump start so I'd have a nice big plant by fall.

The six plants I have now went into flowering when they were about 18" tall and the only reason I can even think of was because they didn't get enough light, I had them under 24/7 but at that size I just kept them in a closet with a 26(100w) flouresent bulb at night and put them in the window during the day. Once I noticed the hairs I immediately increased the volume of light but it took like a month before they pulled out and seemed like it took a few more weeks to notice any real verticle growth so it set me back considerably because right now they would be much larger plus the growth area around where it started to flower was a real cluster mess of vegitation, I ended up just cutting it all out after it got larger. I started with 9 very healthy clones, three died but I can't say it was because of the re-vegging cycle, two of them are considerably smaller then the other four.

I've never had a plant that has died from going from one state to the other,or visa versa... I've also had them veg back in three weeks or so,after harvesting them. When 1 sprout comes back after revegging. Along with the light cycle... Then budding or flowering stage is done. When I say done.... I mean as soon as you set the light or dark cycle then they stop flowering. In the past 7 years never a death,with revegging! >>>>>>>>

I should have just let it finish, I grew it inside for two months to give it a good jump start so I'd have a nice big plant by fall.

The six plants I have now went into flowering when they were about 18" tall and the only reason I can even think of was because they didn't get enough light, I had them under 24/7 but at that size I just kept them in a closet with a 26(100w) flouresent bulb at night and put them in the window during the day. Once I noticed the hairs I immediately increased the volume of light but it took like a month before they pulled out and seemed like it took a few more weeks to notice any real verticle growth so it set me back considerably because right now they would be much larger plus the growth area around where it started to flower was a real cluster mess of vegitation, I ended up just cutting it all out after it got larger. I started with 9 very healthy clones, three died but I can't say it was because of the re-vegging cycle, two of them are considerably smaller then the other four.
    I vege under an 18/6 light cycle 400w MH, ALL and I do mean ALL of my plants have hairs (Or sacks if I'm growing a male) Just because the plant has started to produce Pre Flowers doesn't mean that it's gonna start budding,... just that it's ready for the light switch.

I actually got a couple seeds from a male that I was veging for a friend pollenating one of my mother plants that I cut clones from!!!

donnachris is offline Registered+
    I actually got a couple seeds from a male that I was veging for a friend pollenating one of my mother plants that I cut clones from!!!
    How did you get seeds from a male plant?? I thought that the female plant was the only plant to give seeds.

GaGrown is offline Registered+

If you ain't ever grown Jack before..... You should know a few things about the strain.. It is a picky strain!! Love to have headroom! Takes about 12-14 weeks to finish flowering. Don't like alot of nutes so a scaled down nute schedule would be in order.As far as cloning... They are not the easiest strain to clone either.. All this comes from experience... I do miss Ole Jack! I lost the strain a few years back and am waiting on a buddy to harvest so I can get them and reveg... That's not a problem with Jack.. Jack will flower at 16 hours light.. So don't try and save a dime cutting the light back while growing Jack.. You'll be very dissapointed!
    Give a man a fish,you feed him for a day! Teach a man to fish you feed him for life!

Ga Grown

A wise Man Once said; "Reminds me of an old saying I just made up..."A good gardener learns how to treat their garden. A great gardener learns how to treat their garden when shit happens."

Rusty Trichome!

http://boards.cannabis.com/redirect-...g%2Findex.html

Have you read the Bonsai Re-Vegging thread? The link is in my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by donnachris View Post
    How did you get seeds from a male plant?? I thought that the female plant was the only plant to give seeds.
    Yeah, that wasn't very clear, I got seeds on one of my mother plants because a male in my vege room pollenated her

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast