Cannabis.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Fems and Hermies (changed title from 'feminize your own seeds')

Dimebag is offline Registered+

Fems and Hermies (changed title from 'feminize your own seeds')

I hear many arguments if people should buy feminized seeds or not. I recommend buying normal seeds so you have both male and female. Then when they flower, separate the males and females. DONT KILL THE MALES LIKE YOU USUALLY DO. Then feed the males with with ASPRIN. You know...Bayer or St. joseph. Feed them the aspirin just like you would feed them your nutrients. For example, i have a 3.5 gallon bubbler bucket, i feed them with new nutriets every three weeks. Same thing with the aspirin (after flowering) i feed them 1 crushed 80mg tablet every three weeks. After the aspirin treatment, the hormones in the males should change dramatically. When both male and female are ripe, you should begin the mating process. Heres a trick i picked up to easily mate (i forgot the site). Get a wet brown paper bag, and put it on the male branch. Tight the opening of the bag with a rubber band and shake the branch for 15 minutes. Quickly take it to a female branch, tighten the opening and wait for the bag to dry. after it drys, shake the branch for 30 minutes. The females should be fertilized and wait a few days for the seeds to ripen. Plant the seeds and they should come up female in the future. When i feed the asprin to the males, i play it safe and put in one tablet. You might have better luck putting more in (like 1 tablet per gallon). I only tried this once and i had good success. Can some one try this and tell me their success? I never tried giving both sexes asprin...
    Last edited by Dimebag; Sep-15-2004 at 09:00.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

Tech is offline Registered+
    How good was your sucses ? Did you have 100% females or was it just good luck?
    Why the paper bag thing? Why not rub the two plants together to mate.
    I have heard of asprin interfearing with the gender of plants b 4 somwhere.
    I might give it a go.

I had a 100% success, each one was a perfect female. i planted 11 seeds...The paper bag is just my method of breeding them. You can breed them any way you want. Yeah...brushing them is ok. What ever way you like. The paper bag method guarentees that pollen has reached the female bud, and it wont spread pollen in the air much as brushing. There are many other chemical and even organic ways. You also can try the hormone "gibberellic acid" (what ever that is...). I think aspirin is safe and by far the best way. Many seed banks use aspirin to feminize their seeds. Post your success when your done. thanks.

Tech is offline Registered+
    Yeah i will for sure .
    I got a few nearly finished now in a week or so and i got a few different seeds left so i,ll do a cross breed while i,m at it . Ive never polinated female plants b4 , well not on purpose any way he he he.

i still wanna know how something like asprin can do this...

BUZz UK is offline Registered+
    this should be in a different section.

Has anyone else tried this?
    The above post is to be taken literally, I'm a criminal.

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Never tried it. It's simple to make fem seeds using light stress or heat stress to force-herm a female into producing XX pollen.

But if you've got a known female... it's FAR more efficient simply to take cuttings and clone that sexy mama. You never know if her kids are gonna be as sexy as she was.
    mrorganics and williboy like this.

I've been feminizing using aspirin for years.
    I add uncoated aspirin (two aspirin per gallon, for 3 consecutive waterings) to my confirmed fems, at beginning of flowering stage. After a few weeks, they will produce a few pollen sacks filled with femmed pollen. Only draw-back is by the time the pollen sacks are finally ready to open, it's time to harvest. (but is ready to be painted onto next crop of fems)
    Have never heard of 'feminizing' a male's pollen, but definatelly do not want to have that much pollen/potential pollen floating around my growspace.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    But if you've got a known female... it's FAR more efficient simply to take cuttings and clone that sexy mama. You never know if her kids are gonna be as sexy as she was.
    Yes, but if anything catastrophic happens, it's nice to have a good back-up plan. (dogs, cats, light leaks, overfert...)

thecreator is offline Registered+
    Good stuff I want to try this with some bag seeds. I don't think id risk it with seeds purchased online.
    Cannabis reveals a gateway unto the soul taking you on a spiritual venture through your very core. Your existence is often challenged and emerging out of the dark wood unscathed and in current mindset says you want to be here to a certain extent. So lets make the best of it and try to master the world around us, as ever changing as it may be.

BUZz UK is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    But if you've got a known female... it's FAR more efficient simply to take cuttings and clone that sexy mama.
    depending on situation obviously...
    The above post is to be taken literally, I'm a criminal.

maik is offline Registered+
    I tried this method twenty years ago, only because I wasn't at university yet, and had never read the scientific publications using silver nitrate and STS solution.

I would figure I got about 75-80% female seeds, but the rest were shemales. Hermies are natural, shemales are induced. In 1993, I read about the STS method and got 100% females everytime. Now my sprouting/seedling/vegging space is always a small, hot, humid box powered by daylight flo tubes, and I get better than 90% females from the strains I dare to use.

I figure the aspirin method is better than wasting time light/nute/water/heat stressing to get shemales.

ninfan77 is offline Registered+
    do you have any info on the method to produce silver nitrate / collodial silver?

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Silver nitrate can be purchased from a chemical supply house.
    Save yourself the $$$ and go bother the girls with a flashlight during their dark period, or yank them from their beauty naps. They'll be pissed enough to throw nanners just from the light cycle interruption.

Stinky...do you remove the lady from the flower room to light-stress her?
    I guess what I'm wondering is, do you remove the one lady before light's out, and treat her to a night of Jay Leno and bonghits?
    -Or-
    do you have to sneak in, zap her without zapping everyone, and sneak back out? My aspirin method works for me, but was always (just a little) curious about the light poisoning techniques.

Impressional minds want to know, lol.

the whole idea of feminization is just stupid ... a prime example of modern man's attitude of "I want it ALL, and I want it NOW" ... Ive grown for 40+ years, and only had a handful of males ... if you do everything according to the book, and make your seedlings' environment as good as it can be (without all the tricks and gimmicks) you WILL get predominantly females ... all you have to do is imitate Nature's 'best days', 18/6 light cycles, for example (nature does NOT provide 24 hours of sunlight a day), etc ...
    besides, none of these suggested 'tricks' are the result of 'double-blind' studies (Stinky, as a lab scientist, I'm very surprised you didn't also point that out) ... lemme give you an example of what I mean ... I used to drink beer by the gallons ... every time I planted crops I had a beer in one hand, and was half-drunk ... I almost always got 100% females ...using 'feminized' reasoning, it was the beer that made the females ... just like that SuperThrive crap, if a plant survives, you give credit to the stuff, whether it mattered, or not ...
    I had NEVER used 'feminization' techniques, or used one single drop of SuperThrive, or gibberlic acid, or hormones, etc .... and I almost always got females in return ... perhaps it was my black T-shirt that was responsible (I almost always wore black T-shirts in those days, they must cause females, somehow) ... the only thing 'feminization' has done, is to weaken the genetics of marijuana, promote hermaphrodites, and make unwanted sex-reversal more common from weakened genetics ...
    sorry if I sound caustic, but I have always felt PATIENCE is the key to quality marijuana growing, and the lack of patience is ruining thousands of MJ crops around the world ... sometimes this sort of thing can have far-ranging, terrible consequences, seen any pure Columbian Gold or Panama Red lately ??... wise up, growers
    roachman67 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by the image reaper View Post
    the whole idea of feminization is just stupid ... a prime example of modern man's attitude of "I want it ALL, and I want it NOW" ... Ive grown for 40+ years, and only had a handful of males ... if you do everything according to the book, and make your seedlings' environment as good as it can be (without all the tricks and gimmicks) you WILL get predominantly females ... all you have to do is imitate Nature's 'best days', 18/6 light cycles, for example (nature does NOT provide 24 hours of sunlight a day), etc ...
    besides, none of these suggested 'tricks' are the result of 'double-blind' studies (Stinky, as a lab scientist, I'm very surprised you didn't also point that out) ... lemme give you an example of what I mean ... I used to drink beer by the gallons ... every time I planted crops I had a beer in one hand, and was half-drunk ... I almost always got 100% females ...using 'feminized' reasoning, it was the beer that made the females ... just like that SuperThrive crap, if a plant survives, you give credit to the stuff, whether it mattered, or not ...
    Gee...I'm sorry you aren't feeling well.
    But just a few minor points...

The analysis of feminizing that you present doesn't seem to take into account that those I learned the technique from, have been sucessfully doing this for many years. As have I. As have the Dutch.
    Does it concern me that you are a doubter? Not especially. But I'm not about to slam any of your methods, such as your 'lucky' shirt or magical beer. But since you seem well informed, please explain the where the donor chromosomes come from when no male is present, and their effect on the resultant seeds' chromosomes and genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by the image reaper View Post
    the only thing 'feminization' has done, is to weaken the genetics of marijuana, promote hermaphrodites, and make unwanted sex-reversal more common from weakened genetics
    I had NEVER used 'feminization' techniques, or used one single drop of SuperThrive, or gibberlic acid, or hormones, etc .... and I almost always got females in return ... perhaps it was my black T-shirt that was responsible (I almost always wore black T-shirts in those days, they must cause females, somehow) ... the only thing 'feminization' has done, is to weaken the genetics of marijuana, promote hermaphrodites, and make unwanted sex-reversal more common from weakened genetics ...
    sorry if I sound caustic, but I have always felt PATIENCE is the key to quality marijuana growing, and the lack of patience is ruining thousands of MJ crops around the world ... sometimes this sort of thing can have far-ranging, terrible consequences, seen any pure Columbian Gold or Panama Red lately ??... wise up, growers
    WOW, all that on one breath...
    Personally, I'm doubtful that the feminization of seed stock is as responsible for the demise of Maui Wowie, Panama Red or Colombian Gold, Fallbrook Sens, as over-hybridization is. As was taught to me..."Going hermie" is a genetically imprinted trait within the genes of the plant to insure propogation of the species. If the fem hasn't been pollinated late in the season, or gets stepped-on by a wolly mamouth, she takes matters into her own hands. This is a species survival technique, not a disaster.
    Unfortunatelly, with the genetic variables, some strains are more suceptable to 'turning hermie'. This coupled with many growers inability to offer their ladies pristine growing conditions ends-up compounding the situation.
    Perhaps if it were not for those whom originally decided to cross indica and indica, sativa and sativa, indica and sativa, and sativa and indica together, (40 years ago) to get a more potent, disease-resistant and stronger plant (and growable in their local region) with the flavors we now have, we may still have access to these strains. But...do you miss the Edsel, too? C'mon...these strains departed, when...in the 70's? What's really wrong, Image? We're here to help.
    williboy likes this.

thecreator is offline Registered+
    Yea smoked and thought it over great no phenomenal idea cheers mate cheers I'm doing that as soon as my seeds come.
    Cannabis reveals a gateway unto the soul taking you on a spiritual venture through your very core. Your existence is often challenged and emerging out of the dark wood unscathed and in current mindset says you want to be here to a certain extent. So lets make the best of it and try to master the world around us, as ever changing as it may be.

guess I'll go out and buy some Bayer stock, and be grateful for the gullible ... they're your seeds, to do with as you please ... and, I don't know why you think I'm not feeling well, or are concerned so much for me, but thanks for the nice thoughts ... good luck
    Last edited by the image reaper; Dec-04-2007 at 11:12.
    Dutch Pimp likes this.

The content of your post seemed so incredibly disparaging that I mistakenly thought you were feeling under the weather.
    Some examples:

"Ive grown for 40+ years, and only had a handful of males"

Ummm...sure.

"I used to drink beer by the gallons ... every time I planted crops I had a beer in one hand, and was half-drunk ... I almost always got 100% females ...using 'feminized' reasoning, it was the beer that made the females"

I'm begining to think it was being half-drunk that did the trick. You are comparing apples with Chevy Trucks. Getting drunk has no bearing on the genetics.

"just like that SuperThrive crap, if a plant survives, you give credit to the stuff, whether it mattered, or not"
    Some folks don't have ideal soil or frets, and thus need micronutes.

"I had NEVER used 'feminization' techniques, or used one single drop of SuperThrive, or gibberlic acid, or hormones, etc .... and I almost always got females in return"

If you have never tried any of the techniques or additives you mention, then what data source are you using for your 'facts'?

I don't wish to make an enemy, as I generally like your contributions to this site and I applaud your feelings on patience. But at some point, facts and the ability to learn have to dominate over inuendo and ignorance.
    Last edited by Rusty Trichome; Dec-04-2007 at 12:00. Reason: Toning it down a bit...

Opie Yutts is offline Registered+
    Well I'm going to have to agree with image reaper here. I do believe you could have only ended up with a handful of males during that time. If you buy seeds from a reputable dealer, and do the things you are supposed to, you will automatically get 60-70% female. Happens all the time. So when people buy or make feminized seeds, and they and up with 69% female, they are all happy because feminized seeds are for real. Well so are non feminized seeds and they do the same thing. Just start one or more mothers using regular seeds and pick the best ones. No more wasting time and/or worrying about how to make females. I like how feminized seed sellers guarantee at least 50% females. Wow, they're really going out on a limb there.

I keep hearing people yelling Feminize! I think it works! I got 70% females! Yet it's interesting how they can never offer one shred of scientific proof.

"...But at some point, facts and the ability to learn have to dominate over inuendo and ignorance."

Facts? What facts? Got any? And I don't mean perceived evidence, I mean facts.

OK, let the bashing begin.
    Last edited by Opie Yutts; Dec-04-2007 at 18:02. Reason: changed seed growers to seed sellers
    PLEASE STOP BY MY FOGGING THREAD
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

I hear nobody yelling "FEMINIZE" except those that apparently have not tried, have tried and failed, or just have something up their butts about techniques that differ from their own. If you wish to avoid the technique, fine by me.

Mine is a medical grow, so I breed for my own purposes, and as I see fit. I do not sell offer or give any part of my grow, seeds included, to anyone outside my house. What I have learned from years of following the advise of others with much more knowlege than I has enabled me to avoid many mistakes, and correct years of myths that had surrounded the growing of cannabis as I was growing up. (some of which survive to this day)

The main reason I'm here is I'm trying to help newbies and medical growers with no where else to turn that wish to improve their skills, and broaden their knowlege base, so that they can distinguish between plausibility, and bullshit. Perhaps to learn something myself, in return.

For those that feel that they have enough of a handle on their growing techniques to attempt something like this should at least have the opportunity to learn if they so desire. Finding ways to improve or enhance ones grow has it's advantages. This is, after the Advanced Growing Forum, is it not?
    williboy likes this.

Opie Yutts is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    The main reason I'm here is I'm trying to help newbies and medical growers with no where else to turn that wish to improve their skills, and broaden their knowlege base, so that they can distinguish between plausibility, and bullshit. Perhaps to learn something myself, in return.
    Well said. Me too.
    PLEASE STOP BY MY FOGGING THREAD
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

MVP
    MVP is offline Registered+
    While not as experienced as some others on this site, I remain open to many 'contoversial' ideas and look forward to the facts, results, and play-by-play descriptions that my DIY personality appreciates. Look forward to learning..........

DurbanStone is offline Registered+
    Subscribed. I have heard both sides many many times, and am looking forward to the facts.
    I love life.

Hempy Bucket- So easy a caveman could do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast