Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Trimming Fan Leaves

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+

Fan Leaves?

Since we'll on the subject, all my fan leaves dried up and fell off just before harvest. Bud was great. I kept the plants VERY dry, two weeks before harvest. Is this normal? Flowered 60 days - some fan leaves- 75 days-very few fan leaves- 90 days- no fan leaves left! I like the couchlock weed!

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Pimp
    Since we'll on the subject, all my fan leaves dried up and fell off just before harvest. Bud was great. I kept the plants VERY dry, two weeks before harvest. Is this normal? Flowered 60 days - some fan leaves- 75 days-very few fan leaves- 90 days- no fan leaves left! I like the couchlock weed!
    I believe that is in fact perfecly normal. That has been my experience anyway. Think about it; you've been withholding nitrogen for 90 days, it's a mobile nutrient, it's getting sucked out of the old leaves and into the buds.

The dryness too- When I've let crops get really dry at the end I've really liked the result.

latewood is offline Banned
    Wow, I cannot believe all the mis-information in this thread! some of you have good ideas, but some of you are full of crap...Sorry!

the fan leaves are necessary to uptake oxygen.

Fan leaves are responsible for drawing nutrients...to the top of the plant. If you cut all your fan leaves off. It is like cutting your drip lines short of your netpots and letting the nute solution bleed out all over the floor.

Fan leaves are also built-in temp monitor/stablizers...

If we both veg a plant, and I just grow mine without topping it or hacking off (butchering) the Fan leaves and you decide to top and trim, then top new growth and trim, and again top all the new growth and trim, etc. etc...
    You're plant is not going to be growing, because it will be transferring all it's energy to repair the damage; And, then to grow new shoots....All the while My healthy will be flowering beautiful Buds.

Growing is all about creating optimum photosynthesis...
    Once you hack a plant all up...Optimum photosynthesis is hard to achieve...peace

lw

m.g. is offline Banned
    L-dub, this comes up like every other month and i have no idea how it ever got started. no book i know of mentions anything about trimming fan (some call em sugar or sun leaves too) leaves off yet some know-it-all comes along every time it comes up talking about the light needs to be right there! it especially amazes me hearing outdoor growers doing this insane act! this method of drying them out during the last couple weeks before harvest is something i do however and i encourage others to at least try it on a partial crop and see for themselves after the cure is finished. i think it makes for a better end-product, in my experiences. but never take off healthy leaves, especially if removing shade is the only reason...

YaddaYaddaYadda247 is offline Registered+
    I dont trim mine. Some of the bottom ones are yellowing 3 weeks into the flowering process, oh well!

Every successful crop I've ever had was the result of removing the fan/shade leaves.
    I began doing so based on an article by "R" in High Times around 1980.
    It was titled Pruning for Production.
    Has always worked for me. Longer buds and more of them compared to plants whose shade leaves are not removed.

Didn't "R" turn out to be Ed Rosenthal?

Grow 'em however you please. Grow more than you need and give away the surplus for free.

oldsanclem is offline Registered+

Talking 1 Horse power=760 watts= 7023 fan leaves+-2

Latewood " Wow, I cannot believe all the mis-information in this thread! some of you have good ideas, but some of you are full of crap...Sorry!"
    The ONE fact that most grower (?) leave out is WHAT a crop produces. Grams/watts/months (just the FACTS Please)
    Oxygen and co2, are produced by the plant, and if nature , grows some damn nice grows with the fan leaves. You would think after a few few million years, there would be POT sticks with just bud. You know I have NOT, seen a large cashcropper taking off the Fan Leaves.
    I'll put it out there,,, Growers with a atleast 50 pounds a year Please reply.
    Note thats 50 #, cleaned, destemed,dry, cured,

Quote Originally Posted by oldsanclem
    You know I have NOT, seen a large cashcropper taking off the Fan Leaves.
    I'll put it out there,,, Growers with a atleast 50 pounds a year Please reply.
    Note thats 50 #, cleaned, destemed,dry, cured,
    cashcropper being the operative word---heartless, greedy pimps who overcharge instead of overgrowing. you'll be old some day and feel ashamed.

m.g. is offline Banned
    even the lowly 1-2 pound growers i know do not pull fan leaves...only ones i read about doing it are found here and other basic grow rooms. oughtta tell ya something right there!

I don't understand the fighting attitude about this. I've grown both ways and found by my experience that taking the mutherfucken fan leaves off gives me longer and fatter buds. If it doesn't work for you then so be it. No need to act smug and condescending about your preferred way of doing things. We're here to help each other---that is help each other, not hurt each other.

m.g. is offline Banned
    lol bro, you're the only one here trying to sound tough with all the cussing and name calling...lol

Red face

Given away alot to medical, even a judge, an cops, and some very sick. You know something funny, I never had heard of a cashcropper forcing, people to buy pot.
    I must admit pot is so easy to grow, birds even grow it. They even leave the fan leafs on till the seeds come out.
    Say do cookies count as payment or thank you's.
    Most/all cash croppers do because it simple, easy, Jail time does cost, no mater how you look at it.
    "nothing is life is free"
    I almost forced a guy to sweep the buds off the floor, with lots of fan leaves.
    It was a hot day and the fan leafs moved to keep him cool.

"nothing in life is free" is down to human beings. the heartless & greedy charge for everything and charge as much as they can get away with. the kind hearted and truly stoner-spirited seek to help people for as little as possible.

you're either a greedhead or a kind-hearted stoner; you're actions and comments prove which one you are.

everything begins in the Now.
    if you fuck up, begin again. start over---in the Now.

Red face Med pot for cookies, jurks,scabs,, pay

I have only got one free bud in a few decades of growing, it was from a cop.
    Charging med patients is downer if you could be that low. Now showing them how to grow is better.
    Now if your over 30 and do not want to stick your ass out to dry , you buy it.
    You know a funny thing chuck a 1/8 a key on the bbq and see how fast they want to buy the rest. You need to add 25% extra for the lost pot on the bbq , but they happly pay extra.
    Puff the magic BBQ
    Be Cool keep the fan leafs pointing in the same direction.

elcheapo is offline Registered+
    Sorry Brother Schenker but I agree with the others. And my opinion only comes from my experience. I guess certain strains would behave differently but removing fan leaves usually makes the buds much more leafy and less resinous. From my experience if you maintain correct plant health and node spacing then removal of fan leaves is detrimental. Lower bud sites especially are more likely to suffer if they aren't getting energy from the leaves.
    What I'm trying to say is stick with what works for you. I'm leaving them on because it works for me.
    When are you clipping the leaves?
    Do you have some comparitive pictures?

Bachelorpads is offline Registered+
    I am a die hard SCROG grower and I also believe in the removal of large fan leaves. The most efficient growth on a plant comes from the smaller, new leaves. I consistently remove all large fan leaves that shade any actual buds. And when i say I remove them, I cut them off with abandon. I am always after 10+ ounces per plant and have found that the only way to do this every time is to remove the Larger fan leaves and allow light penetration directly to the buds. I am solely after efficency and understand why one would leave the large fan leaves otherwise. I have found them to be more of a problem then a solution in scrogging. I know this is in direct contrast to the standard rules of growing outside but, inside, in a SCROG, it works, and it works much better then leaving them on the plant. Just speaking from what i have seen and experienced though. It is possible that i am doing something wrong elsewhere that causes this phenomenon.

latewood is offline Banned
    I was under the impression that scrog (I know you tie a screen to the top of your bucket, right?)B'pads...my impression was that you had plant under screen, then placed buds up through screen, to get light, thus allowing you to leave fans leaves under the screen to perform their function.

and, I agree...I am not preaching for anyone to change anything that works for them. I just try to teach solid proven/published grow methods.

P.s. B'pads methods of fan leave removal is similar to the way commercial tomato growers strip the vine of Big Sucker leaves. peace

m.g. is offline Banned
    yes, i will concede for scrog and sog, removal of some fan leaves is necessary. i was only speaking from a standard grow point of view.
    Last edited by m.g.; Jun-21-2006 at 23:21.

Bachelorpads is offline Registered+
    I should say i also agree with m.g.

Standard growing should not have fan leaves removed.

Latewood: My goal when I SCROG is to have almost no foilage under the screen at all when budding. If done correctly and the canopy is tall enough, almost no light will penetrate through the screen and all of those fan leaves will die anyway. That is a perfect world and a lb per plant, i usually did not attain this lofty goal and only averaged about 3/4lbs per plant this way.

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+

Thumbs up I belive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bachelorpads
    I should say i also agree with m.g.

Standard growing should not have fan leaves removed.

Latewood: My goal when I SCROG is to have almost no foilage under the screen at all when budding. If done correctly and the canopy is tall enough, almost no light will penetrate through the screen and all of those fan leaves will die anyway. That is a perfect world and a lb per plant, i usually did not attain this lofty goal and only averaged about 3/4lbs per plant this way.
    A standard is born. ....This may be a first!

Standard growing should not have fan leaves removed. .
    I absolutely agree.

Latewood: My goal when I SCROG is to have almost no foilage under the screen at all when budding. If done correctly and the canopy is tall enough, almost no light will penetrate through the screen and all of those fan leaves will die anyway. .
    So the prupose of removing fan leaves in SOG/SCROG is simply to have better air circulation and fewer places for pests to hid beneath the canopy.
    Now THAT makes sense.
    It has nothing to do with "removing leaves so more light hits the bud sites", or whatever .

seattle420 is offline Banned
    the whole idea of FAN LEAVES IS JUST A MYTH!

they are just leaves.

there is no biological or botanical reason to even call them fan leaves!

leave the leaves! let them be.

tekneeqs is offline Registered+
    So when (growing stage) should one trim and where to trim (bottom or top)? Just any big ol' leaf?
    Remember to bring a towel!!

windex is offline Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by tekneeqs View Post
    So when (growing stage) should one trim and where to trim (bottom or top)? Just any big ol' leaf?
    I'm wondering the same thing, too. I read the rest of the thread (2nd page) hoping to find more information but it's people arguing haha

I want to try both ways (leaving the leaves, trimming the leaves) but what is the proper way going about doing this? I just want to see what kind of results I will get and compare the two.

There's a reason that people are arguing. Some of them were posting absolute bull-caca. Don't trim fan leaves!!!!!There is no 'correct' way to trim fan leaves. It's not a correct technique.
    The ONLY time you want to remove fan leaves is in a hydro system where you need access to the drip apparatus and/or air flow around the low stem. In that case, you remove anything up the first 3-4 inches of the stalk, that isn't getting light anyway, to prevent fungus.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast