Cannabis.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Trimming Fan Leaves

sheist is offline Registered+

Trimming Fan Leaves

I kno that when u harvest, u gotta trim the fan leaves n all that..

what if you were to trim the fan leaves during flower?? wouldnt the stran focus the energy into the shoots??
    Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. I do not grow or condone the growing of anything not legal. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widley available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

karmaxul is offline Banned
    The fan leaves make the food for the shoots.

one love
    c

lol case closed.. NO trimming the fan leaves.. thanks "c" for the tip
    Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. I do not grow or condone the growing of anything not legal. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widley available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.

You can stop the hieght growth of a cola by triming the fan leaves that are coming out of the top of the plant when the leaves are very very small making the cola thicker. Try it in veg aswell to closen the nodes before flowering youll enjoy it.

One love
    c

yeah i kno that, thats topping.. i plan to do that too...

O I thought topping was cutting the top of the plant stem not just the fan leaf on the top allowing others to grow afterward but making the nodes closer.

One love
    c

Earthy Dank is offline Registered+
    During vegetative you can pull shoots off as soon as you see them and this will make it put more energy into the main stems/buds. Resulting in taller plants and bigger buds. Don't do it too much though. If you pull too many the it will decrease your yeild. But if you do it mildly it can actually increase your yeild.
    Any pictures are not my own and are pictures I found on an image search engine. All posts are fictional. I DO NOT sell/cultivate or participate in any illegal activities what so ever and will not be held liable for anything that I say on these forums.
    ""Those who danced where thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music."" --Angela Monet
    Earthy Dank's Cabinet Extravaganza 2008
    Earthy Dank Outdoor Organic 2007
    My Outdoor Journal 2006

When I grow single cola short plants and say I get one or two branches. I let the leaves stay but pull off the shoots that produce the buds to concentrate the energy on the single cola.

One love
    c

oldsanclem is offline Registered+
    fan leaves
    do not move air
    do take photons and make food to grow and produce buds.
    Removing fan leaves is like putting bricks in you gas tank, to save, money,, to fill up the tank.
    mim1910 likes this.

Garden Knowm is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsanclem
    fan leaves
    do not move air
    do take photons and make food to grow and produce buds.
    Removing fan leaves is like putting bricks in you gas tank, to save, money,, to fill up the tank.
    WOW

NICE OLD

FUCK...

I LOVE THAT PICTURE...

you are COOL!!!!!!!!!

LOVE

I nominate this as the best post for the month of MARCH!!!!!!!!!

I agree
    dont cut fan leaves...

although i would bet that DANK knows how to grow like a champ...
    GARDEN KNOWM

10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 -5 - 4...

so pulling off shoots = sacrifice a few buds to get better buds..?

Sinsemilla Jones is offline Registered+

Talking Hey, I can fill er up with half the gas with the bricks!

But I do have to do it twice as often.

I think it's more like removing the engine to get gas straight to the wheels....

Or having your intestines removed to shit faster.....

Or cutting off your balls to fuck better.

Cutting fan leaves that is.

KnowledgeIsPower likes this.

captaincannabis is offline Registered

strip your plants all year

Hey Sheist whats up?I strip my plants completely and often.Once they get established ,about 8" 2 a foot I top the main node,and pinch the leaves at the same level.Once the two new branches appear and have three new nodes each I top them also and any other branches coming up also.And a few leaves ,the upper ones ,so light can get to the lower growth and cause it to grow up with the rest of the plant.Once this grows back in,I top every thing in sight and strip all leaves except for a few,very few.and bend the upper branches out and down ,so to let more light into the lower branches,the plant begins to have a nice big round look to it.The reason for stripping the leaves is simple BUDS COME FROM BRANCHES NOT LEAVES.The plant will grow without tons of water drinking,sun blocking leaves.This works best if you feed them really good with Elanors VF11 lawn food 35-85-55 and superthrive and miracle grow azaela food 30-10-10.the branch growth will surge without leaves
    trust 35 years of experience.The idea is to devolop a cycle let them bush ,strip promote branch growth,let them bush,strip promote branch growth.
    this is an advanced technique like the forum says.so practice on 1 or 2 plants until you see the method of the madness.Dont let anyone tell you this wont work.Once you understand it and get it down your yields will trip you out.And this much time working on each plant provides alot of closeup time where you are emitting co2 all over them just by being there and giving them the love
    Gotta'Grow

"The reason for stripping the leaves is simple BUDS COME FROM BRANCHES NOT LEAVES.The plant will grow without tons of water drinking,sun blocking leaves.This works best if you feed them really good with Elanors VF11 lawn food 35-85-55 and superthrive and miracle grow azaela food 30-10-10.the branch growth will surge without leaves
    trust 35 years of experience.The idea is to devolop a cycle let them bush ,strip promote branch growth,let them bush,strip promote branch growth."

Theres 35 years of experience I don't trust...
    "BUDS COME FROM BRANCHES NOT LEAVES."
    That was my favorite part.
    YOur buds must be the size of raisens
    Any pictures are not my own and are pictures I found on an image search engine. All posts are fictional. I DO NOT sell/cultivate or participate in any illegal activities what so ever and will not be held liable for anything that I say on these forums.
    ""Those who danced where thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music."" --Angela Monet
    My Outdoor Journal 2006

Moose101 is offline Registered+
    I'm just learning right now so what I say might seem real dumb. But seeing how fan leafs are used in the food production wouldn't it make sense to make more of them thru pruning? Maybe only take 1 or 2 stems off untill they grow back.

Your big fan leaves are your biggest solar panels that power the plant. Sure new ones form but why take them off in the first place? Prunning slows growth and is used to make plants small and bushy.If the fan leaves do not get good light then it would be good to remove them but don't try to fix something that isn't broken. Just let it grow...
    My Outdoor Journal 2006

rodekyll is offline Registered+
    I've been under the impression that a slightly elevated ph is favored by cannabis. I use miracid to up the acid, maybe twice a month, in place of my regular fert. I've spaced out and used it for entire crop cycles without ill effects. If anything, it makes for deeper green leaves. Does someone want to correct me here?
    Think analog ~~ Act digital

Cannabis likes a slightly lower pH (acid loving).

"When growing marijuana, I like keeping the pH between 6.0 to 7.0. This seems to be the best pH range to ensure there is no nutrient lock-up occurring, 6.4 to 6.6 is ideal."

Most fertilizers cause a pH change in the soil. Adding fertilizer to the soil almost always results in a more acidic pH.

As time goes on, the amount of salts produced by the breakdown of fertilizers in the soil causes the soil to become increasingly acidic and eventually the concentration of these salts in the soil will stunt the plant and cause browning out of the foliage.

Also, as the plant gets older its roots become less effective in bringing food to the leaves. To avoid the accumulation of these salts in your soil and to ensure that your plant is getting all of the food it needs you can begin leaf feeding your plant at the age of about 1.5 months.

Dissolve the fertilizer in worm water and spray the mixture directly onto the foliage. The leaves absorb the fertilizer into their veins. If you want to continue to put fertilizer into the soil as well as leaf feeding, be sure not to overdose your plants.
    Last edited by Earthy Dank; Apr-05-2006 at 11:20.
    My Outdoor Journal 2006

Sparrow is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthy Dank
    Dissolve the fertilizer in worm water and spray the mixture directly onto the foliage. The leaves absorb the fertilizer into their veins. If you want to continue to put fertilizer into the soil as well as leaf feeding, be sure not to overdose your plants.[/B][/U]
    I thought the only place plants could absorb anything was through the stoma which intakes co2.

Alot of ferts have to be transformed by the microbes in the soil to even be useful to the plant.

I do not mean to play devil advocate yet I do not see how folair is benefical.

Plants can take in water and nutes through its stomatas which are on the underside of leaves. And alot of fertilizers are broken down into plant ready solutions so wouldn't the microbes just use it themselves instead of decomposing the complex nutrients? In my early years I did alot of folair feed and had great results. But now I stick to organics.
    My Outdoor Journal 2006

FERMENTATION is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthy Dank
    Dissolve the fertilizer in worm water and spray the mixture directly onto the foliage. The leaves absorb the fertilizer into their veins. If you want to continue to put fertilizer into the soil as well as leaf feeding, be sure not to overdose your plants.[/B][/U]

Are you saying "worm water" like worm casting tea? Or was that a typo ment to say "warm water"?

Not meaning to nit pick, just want to be clear as to what exactly you had good results with when foliar feeding.

Peace

Sparrow is offline Banned
    I found many good sites on google regarding them both and I was going to post them for you but my pc crashed.

yeah -- what is worm water? It doesn't sound like anything I want to eventually smoke . . .

. . .and sorry about the brain fart in my previous post. I had meant to say "elevated acid" not "elevated ph".
    I keep the ph between 6.5 and 7.0. My emperical studies tell me that within reason, higher ph levels make for a more vital plant -- right up to where you plug up burn the roots out from under them. I've gone on about salts in other posts, I won't here.

But I digress . . . Fan leaves are placed by design where they are for reasons. They store water and food in caches along the length of the plant. Just like it's easier for fish to climb a fish ladder than jump a waterfall, or a worker to move a ton one pound at a time, it's easier for the plant to "hand" what it needs from one leaf level to the next than it is to pump it straight from the roots to the growing tip. That's what you're causing to happen if you get too crazy cutting off sun leaves. Makes for an unhappy camper.

If you look at a plant closely, you'll notice that the nodes aren't really set opposite each other. They generally have a right-handed -- though sometimes left-handed -- upward spiral. Being left-handed myself, I notice these things. (factor handedness into your genetic theories, guys!) Messing with the progression of leaves ultimately messes with the orderly uptake of nutes, especially during "shock" events such as drought, forgetting to fertilize, salting up, heatstroke, etc.

Having said that, I advocate bending and kinking plants in small space to grow them horizontal. It's the length of the plant, not the height that makes the difference, and you can literally wind up a pot plant like you wind the base of an antenna, getting many feet of stem more than you have ceiling space. This and a lot of other growing methods have the unintentional side effect of benefiting from trimming the leaves I just told you why you shouldn't trim. Since you're growing horizontal, there are no big steps from one node to the next, and the plant isn't working as hard to suck up food. Also, roughly a third of the leaves and branches along the main stem won't get a chance to grow upward and will suffer for lack of light. They'll also get balled up together, hold moisture, and breed disease and flies. So I cut them off and toss them in a bag to extract essential oils out of later in the year.

Bottom line is it depends on how you grow and why you might be wanting to cut leaves. The plants speak. They will tell you they're done with the leaf when they suck all the goodness out of it and let it go necrotic. But if you think it's gonna have a net positive effect on the plant due to environment or technique, go ahead and cut them. But during "dry" times, NEVER CUT LEAVES FROM GROWING PLANT FOR SMOKING!!! It's not fair to the plants, your yield, or your lungs.

crap -- that should have read "higher acid levels" way up there where I didn't proofread . . .

stupid typonese keyboards

or maybe it's the puppy chow

(takes another hit)

Forget about the worm water... Just use regular pH nuetral water.
    My Outdoor Journal 2006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast