Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Boiling Roots At Time of Harvest???

  1. #1
    Delta.9's Avatar
    Delta.9 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-11-2006
    Posts
    118

    Question Boiling Roots At Time of Harvest???

    I don't remember where I heard/read this but what do you guys think about this...

    When it comes time for harvesting your hard earned reward, I heard that by removing the entire plant, roots and all and placing them in boiling water for 20 seconds shocks all of the remaining THC remaining in the roots and stem out of the trichomes thus increasing potency.

    Any opinions?

  2. #2
    AmericanTerrorist is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Apr-13-2006
    Posts
    115
    Its an urban myth, it really doesnt do anything


    The succulent THC you crave so much isnt produced in the roots. The roots are merely what filters and transports the nutrients up to the plant which produces the THC. Its all good though! Ive heard people talk about it before but I just kept my mouth shut because I didnt want them to knew I grew.

  3. #3
    Delta.9's Avatar
    Delta.9 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-11-2006
    Posts
    118
    Makes sense to me. But then again, so did the boiling of the roots at the time I heard it lol

  4. #4
    Zandor's Avatar
    Zandor is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-15-2005
    Posts
    4,666
    No it does nothing at all but waste time.

    Hanging them upside down is just easy it does nothing to the trichomes. It does not produce anymore THC or have any effect on the % of THC in the trichomes. It's just easy.
    Peace
    Zandor

    If you go cheap you grow cheap. - Me

  5. #5
    seattle420 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May-25-2005
    Posts
    233
    High times had an article a while back suggesting that people could us the dried and ground up roots as "flour" for baking cookies.
    they suggested pulling up your plants by the roots and soaking the roots in a stream or a river to wash them clean.

    PLEASE DO NOT EVER DO THIS!
    you will be spreading pollution and killing fish!

    I wrote to high times and told them that they were stupid but the didn't print the letter! yet.

  6. #6
    del...'s Avatar
    del... is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan-19-2004
    Posts
    1,688
    i read it too years ago but it called for using coca-cola instead of water and i tried it on one of my plants at harvest...i noticed no difference from the others other than being browner when dried but it did make one helluva sticky mess and only added time to the drying.

  7. #7
    krustythfreakinclown is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-16-2006
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle420
    I wrote to high times and told them that they were stupid but the didn't print the letter! yet.
    Hold your breath.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar-25-2006
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle420
    High times had an article a while back suggesting that people could us the dried and ground up roots as "flour" for baking cookies.
    they suggested pulling up your plants by the roots and soaking the roots in a stream or a river to wash them clean.

    PLEASE DO NOT EVER DO THIS!
    you will be spreading pollution and killing fish!

    I wrote to high times and told them that they were stupid but the didn't print the letter! yet.

    How could this be pullution? Chemical nutes would be the answer; but organic ferts, or just a plant that was let to do it's thang in nature would be fairly non-toxic to the evniroment. I mean come on. You're gonna smoke the herb that came out of this pollution right? I dont mean to be an ass, but please clarify.

  9. #9
    Abattoir Dream's Avatar
    Abattoir Dream is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep-07-2006
    Posts
    2,235
    when i cut down plants, i wash the roots, cut them up, and add them back into my compost, its called recycling
    I'm THE Abattoir, abnormal abnormalities
    I have fantasies, while i blab formalities
    and stab happy families in the back with fat calories,
    I'm broke still lookin for contracts and salaries..
    I can, stick to this, ill be doin this forever,
    I tell a fella never to fuck when im under weather
    I severe an acapella, punch holes in a portrait
    preserve words of gold in pottasium sorbate...

  10. #10
    stinkyattic's Avatar
    stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Join Date
    Nov-15-2005
    Posts
    18,541
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle420 View Post
    they suggested pulling up your plants by the roots and soaking the roots in a stream or a river to wash them clean.

    PLEASE DO NOT EVER DO THIS!
    you will be spreading pollution and killing fish!

    .
    That's silly. Nutrient pollution on the scale of the leftover dirt with some nutrient salts, clinging to your roots, then washed in a stream, is nothing. Fertilize your lawn before a rainstorm and let it go into the storm sewer; well, there's a problem. And it doesn't directly kill fish, what it does is cause an algae bloom, and as the algae die off, the oxygen demand from rotting vegetable matter is what kills the fish by suffocation.

    Messing around with roots is the biggest waste of time that misinformed growers participate in. Just break up your root ball, toss it in the compost, and next spring you can use all that yummy nutritious humus on your tomatoes.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul-22-2006
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    That's silly. Nutrient pollution on the scale of the leftover dirt with some nutrient salts, clinging to your roots, then washed in a stream, is nothing. Fertilize your lawn before a rainstorm and let it go into the storm sewer; well, there's a problem. And it doesn't directly kill fish, what it does is cause an algae bloom, and as the algae die off, the oxygen demand from rotting vegetable matter is what kills the fish by suffocation.

    Messing around with roots is the biggest waste of time that misinformed growers participate in. Just break up your root ball, toss it in the compost, and next spring you can use all that yummy nutritious humus on your tomatoes.
    ...<3

  12. #12
    harris7 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug-26-2006
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle420 View Post
    High times had an article a while back suggesting that people could us the dried and ground up roots as "flour" for baking cookies.
    they suggested pulling up your plants by the roots and soaking the roots in a stream or a river to wash them clean.

    PLEASE DO NOT EVER DO THIS!
    you will be spreading pollution and killing fish!

    I wrote to high times and told them that they were stupid but the didn't print the letter! yet.
    as well, just using synthetics outdoors would have much more of an effect. IT dosn't have to go right into a river but it will get there all water runs to rivers. but as stinky said much too small a scale to make any difference.

    Also, a big problem is all the soap we use to wash with. it also causes an algae boom and does all the same shit.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •