Thread: infrared cameras on police aircraft

flyable6string is offline Registered

infrared cameras on police aircraft

I know someone who wants to grow for the first time, they want to grow in a closet in a state (in the U.S.A.) that has very harsh penalties for growing. You can get 1-6 years for 10 plants or less.
    Will aluminum foil block out the heat signature of 2 or 3 plants? My friend wants to line the ceiling of a closet with aluminum foil, because hes worried about police aircraft being able to see through the roof of his house with infrared cameras. He wants to grow for his own use to cut down on cost. Also Does anybody know of other ways the police use to find out if you are growing indoors or not? He dont have to worry about rats, because nobody else will know. Any information will be appreciated

xxxhazexxx is offline Registered+
    foil no,c3 antil detection mylar yes but i dont know where you would get it over there
    Anything that is said by me in these forumns is for entertainment reasons only. I in no way condone any behavior or actions that may break any laws. Anything said by my username or any other username coming from this IP ADDRESS is all information and pictures that I have gathered from all over the internet, and reposted for others to see as well. Do not take anything I say serious, for as it is all for entertainment purposes only.

Gatekeeper777 is offline Registered+
    Its against the law to violate your home without a search warrent and that includes infra red detection, this was ruled on by the US surprime court.
    but some people grow close to the furnace or water heater anyhow.
    I do not condone the illegal use of any substance. I do not grow marijuana however the posts I place here are for informational purposes only nothing more nothing less.

skatin_foo15 is offline Registered+
    Dont worry bout it. If there gonna be looking at your house with a infa-red they probably already have a good clue that your growing. And how will they know the difference from a closet grow than a heater or a water heater, etc. Its all just a big hype if you ask me. It would take alot of fucking heat to go through all your insulation and such...this is just my opinion though.

Chabnoc is offline Banned
    ok, this is the type of shit I know. I do not know law, or which states do what for growing. But I do know about how heat works, and how they read it. Like these people have said, they will have trouble telling a heater, or water heater and such from your plant area.. Depending on how large you grow area is.

If you have a small grow area. With minumal lights, I wouldn't even worry about it. I might even just use CFL's for the veggie part.

But if you have a large area, I would grow during colder months of the year, if you have a grow area of lets say 8'X8', then over this area, place 3"-8" foil faced Rigid Insulation, at 12'X12' and also place 3/4" rigid Insul. over the windows.

But I would never go to this extreme unless I knew they were watching me, and then I would not be growing anyway.

I use the 1/2" rigid Insul, to cover and dark out windows now. It works great, blacks out windows totally when cut correctly, and also helps control my temps in my room.

Got to go.. sorry. I will add if needed later. But chill.

oldsanclem is offline Registered+
    Fairy tail , tales of life
    mylar does not stop Ir
    It is against the law to do ir for busting growers
    Work around , they get a court order to bust a suspected grower. NO porblem. But they use a wide angle camera to locat other growers. Then get a court order to photograph one more house
    NOW you can check you your own home , borrow a old fashion camera and use the IR red dot. You focus the camera as normal , look at the feet and move the feet to the red mark.
    If I may qoute a federal nark ," the small growers are everywhere, and not worth going after"
    Note they use a camera developed at Quanico VA. that show outdoor pot like a spot light. They can spot a pot bush in a tree, plam, swamps, fields.
    relax enjoy growing , its fun ,its easy and keep your mouth shut

evertking is offline Registered+

bobbygreenbear is offline Registered+
    just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you

-geez i love that saying toke on, and chill, infrared is the last of your worries, but no reason not to be overly safe

weedmaster is offline Registered+
    use 2 layers of 15mm fire resistant plaster board, cheep and easy.

Cannabis Rex is offline Registered
    so what are the odds of them spotting a single plant outdoors say...in a field. Do you think the would confiscate it?

1chronic is offline Registered+
    Cannabis rex, spotting a single plant is kinda unlikely from a chopper, there usually looking for bigger grows. But it can happen, and yes the would confiscate it or destroy it. But at least you wouldn't get busted for growing indoors.
    1 Joint, 2 Joints, 3 Joints, MORE!

Clean Your Piece!

"paranoia will destroy ya"

Cannabis Rex is offline Registered
    its hard not to be paranoid..

I have another Q though, have any of you ever heard of planting near Pine trees will throw off the infrared since the pine also puts off more heat?

Tomthehippie is offline Registered+
    i grow in a shed a few grows back we had 21 plants in veg, 1pm this massive red copter flew over head and hovered right over the house! This thing was CLOSE! It had a RAF mod sign on the front! we were sure weed been nicked. we loaded up the plant in bin bags and bunged them in the car. we waited it out an hour or so away from the house for anything to happen. we decided to drive back in to town, there were police cars everywhere.. we were sure they were for us. we dropped off all the plants that were basically dead by now at a mates then went bk to the shed and filled it with chillie plants as not to look conspicuous but nothing ever came of it. i do think the chance of being court out by a copter are small unless your running a massive grow op. A small op will be fine, the heat coming off a 600 or even a 1000 could me misinterpreted as a boiler or anything. But paranoia does not help! When ever a copter flies over head im out there checking it out to be on the safe side.

Nocturnal Stoner is offline Registered+
    I've been paranoid since December about my grow and have been waiting to get busted it hasn't happened yet so paranoia can fuck off!
    Old Man River
    He Just Keeps ROLLING

Quote Originally Posted by SwirlyMass View Post
    salvia shoves a firecracker up the tailpipe of inter-dimensional travel and takes you somewhere that was never meant to be traveled to with our mind.
    I'm gonna put on an iron shirt, and chase Satan out of earth
    I'm gonna put on an iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth
    I'm gonna send him to outer space, to find another race
    I'm gonna send him to outer space, to find another race

"That's what I'm talking about man"-Brian (Half Baked)

Delta9 UK is offline Registered+
    I asked a UK copper staight-up if they look for grow ops in the UK with IR and he said flat-out "No"

He is a well trusted (known him over 20 years) source and says the chopper is so busy on requests that they don't do that sort of thing. Human intelligence (humint) is still the no1 lead they get for busting grow-ops. He's busted a fair few too so he really does know what he's on about.

Obviously this is in one part of the UK - but you can imagine that other Police forces around the UK are the same. The helicopter costs a staggering amount of money to keep airborne and it is constantly responding to officer requests for support.

However.....

I think a whole row of houses with all the loft areas of the houses running grows in them - that would get spotted if the chopper crew bothered to point their IR equipment at it. They are usually pretty busy though - which is good news for us.

He did ask me afterwards if all the weed I was smoking was making me paranoid - lol you gotta laugh, its a fucked up world.

fatsax is offline Registered+
    cheers delta gd to get inside info

cole is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannabis Rex View Post
    its hard not to be paranoid..

I have another Q though, have any of you ever heard of planting near Pine trees will throw off the infrared since the pine also puts off more heat?
    i dont know what your talking about, the police have better things to do than fly arround in their helicopters with heat sensors checking for pot growers, also i dont think pine trees emit to much heat lol
    i cant spell, get over it.
    * LSD can cause uterine contractions and is probably better avoided by women who are pregnant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferius View Post
    *generic non-interesting stoner comment*

Mississippi Steve is offline Registered+
    Law enforcement types have better things to do than look for every single person that is growing for personal use(1 or 2 plants). They are looking for those growing for sale/distribution so it looks good on the 6 o'clock news. 99% of the time when somebody gets busted with a half dozen plants or less, its because they were running their mouth, or some nosey neighbor was poking around somewhere they shouldn't have been, or a pissed off EX turned them in.
    If you can keep your mouth shut and don't advertise the fact that your growing, you won't have a problem.
    When in doubt, common sense applies.

dadogg is offline Registered+
    Just run the lights on during the day.The heat from daylight will intersept any infared signature especially airbourn choppers.Don't worry about problems that are not there. they'll just drive you crazy.

Delta9Haze420 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbygreenbear View Post
    just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you
    One of my favorite quotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Delta9 UK View Post
    I asked a UK copper staight-up if they look for grow ops in the UK with IR and he said flat-out "No"

He is a well trusted (known him over 20 years) source and says the chopper is so busy on requests that they don't do that sort of thing. Human intelligence (humint) is still the no1 lead they get for busting grow-ops. He's busted a fair few too so he really does know what he's on about.

Obviously this is in one part of the UK - but you can imagine that other Police forces around the UK are the same. The helicopter costs a staggering amount of money to keep airborne and it is constantly responding to officer requests for support.

However.....

I think a whole row of houses with all the loft areas of the houses running grows in them - that would get spotted if the chopper crew bothered to point their IR equipment at it. They are usually pretty busy though - which is good news for us.

He did ask me afterwards if all the weed I was smoking was making me paranoid - lol you gotta laugh, its a fucked up world.
    I have several inside contacts as well (very well trusted as I've mentioned before in a few threads) in the States and all of them (including one on a DEA Task Force) gave me almost the same answer. Not enough manpower, or money to pull this kind of thing off. As said earlier, almost ALL busts are due to HI (somoene with knowledge about a grow flipping on you). This type of search is only done when there is strong evidence of a VERY large grow that will gain some publicity for a large grow bust.

****One other thing:

There are two types of IR/UV searches:

1.) Searches for heat in houses and such looking for general heat sources. These are the easier type of grow to disguise. If you follow the FBI protocols for making a room wire (and IR) proof by using several shielding layers as they do in some of their R&D test beds in Quantico, then you can (almost) completely mask the IR signature of a room / building. This methodology can be found in several publications by the FBI (most of them leaked) and is not hard to do. Basically copper mesh and foil layered with a few other things. Can get expensive though. It is mainly found in their manuals regarding how to bug-proof certain areas of a building in counter-espionage efforts.

2.) The type of IR/UV search where they are looking for the specific wavelength of the plants (usually outdoors), not heat signatures from grow setups. Cannabis has a VERY specific heat signature (UV) when grown outdoors and lights up like a christmas tree (even one or two plants) when this method is emplyed. This type of search is VERY hard to prevent/protect against do tue the fact that even below canopy and brush, the signature is still quite plainly visible under copious protective folliage. On the bright side, the equipment for this type of search is also much less common than standard IR cameras such as those used by local and regional LEO's which are used mainly for low light vision in detecting the heat sources of fleeing suspects. The types of equipment I am describing here are used almost exclusively for detecting plant signatures alone, thus their rarity. Most, if not all of them, are operated by the DEA and/or in some cases the FBI. Again - this is rarely, if ever used unless for some reason an LEO (Fed) is tipped (and well informed no less, not just a random call) that grows are in progress in a region and they want to nail several at once. I am a pilot, and fuel is expensive for helos (they use jet fuel), so this type of search is rarely emplyed, but deadly accurate when it is...

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Delta9Haze420; Sep-13-2007 at 15:02.
    (−)-(6aR,10aR)-6,6,9-trimethyl-3-pentyl-6a,7,8,10a-tetrahydro-6H-benzo[c]chromen-1-ol

All information posted under this account is purely hypothetical and intended for educational use only.

Be wary of those who believe in a neat little world, its just f*cking crazy you know that it is. Walking along in a haze of confusion sometimes I can laugh, but at times takes all my strength to take the next step but I will till I drop the devil to his knees.

joe86el is offline Registered+
    Man that is one of the best quotes ive heard. im getting that on my tombstone!

hydrocannabis is offline Registered+
    ok so I have been growing about 2 plants a year for about 8 years now and I have had the funest time ever.

but I will agree to this quote: Just run the lights on during the day.The heat from daylight will intersept any infared signature especially airbourn choppers.

so my paranoia can fuck off also!

so what I don't do is tell anyone that I am growing.
    and I only grow like 2-3 plants in a year.
    oooo and more importantly when buying grow stuff alwase use straight up ca$h because UR card statment will say where U bought grow stuff.

well thats what works for me. good luck growing.
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ing-dwc-4.html

http://boards.cannabis.com/basic-gro...hese-look.html

http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...row-log-3.html

You have to take the good with the bad, smile with the sad, love what you've got and remember what you had.Always forgive, but never forget, learn from your mistakes, but never regret. PEOPLE CHANGE, THINGS GO WRONG, but just remember life goes on.

londonboy5 is offline Registered
    well....i kno a few secrets that police use to catch you in the act.

first of all the cardinal sin. telling people your growing. even your most trusted friend could have done something criminal a few years back and be an informant. trust me, theyre everywhere!!!! chances are theyre secretly growin, n dont want you to interfere with his selling, so they grass you up. keeping themselves out of trouble...and jail. become a non social person while your growing.
    2. the infa red helicopters. in an area that is well known for dodgy goings on will have a copter prowling the skies looking for bugs to squash every day/night of the week. if ur growing in a dodgy area, more fool you. best place is by an airport. copters cant patrol in busy airspace, even at night. well the lights are off then so it dont matter.

3. Fireman tools. If the police know your growing but havent got proof yet, they involve the fire brigade. ever seen an engine zoom onto an estate somewhere and then vanish, and no sign of any smoke or frantic people. chances are their patrolling a house. they have these hand held heat detectors which they move across the wall or window...always round the rear of the house. it seeks out where the heat is coming from so they know where the fire is, or in this case, grow room.

4.the police always wait around your estate, watching who goes in or out of your house and others, putting 2 and 2 together, takin pics...seeing if your taking resources in and looking at what your throwing away. . while your out they will go into your house. BUT, they will find the weed and leave it. leaving bugs in lights, phones, air vents etc etc. then they calculate when it will be near finished and.... bang goes your door. taking the bud with them. dyu think they use it for evidence...er no. they give it back to the main dealers who they got in their pockets, who earn them the money, which goes to the government. Face it, with soooo many growers out there, where would all this ganj be stored, they wont burn it all. most of em smoke a sh*t load. its all money money money.