Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Sugar Water?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May-03-2007
    Posts
    70

    Sugar Water?

    I was told that I could feed my plant sugar water to thicken my buds up if they are light and feathery. Is this true? And if so, how much water to suar ratio? Thanks

  2. #2
    stinkyattic's Avatar
    stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Join Date
    Nov-15-2005
    Posts
    18,541
    Sugar is a good carbon source to fatten buds; I use molasses at a dilution rate of 1-2 tablespoons per gallon.
    If your buds are wispy and thin, though, you should look to other possible causes as well- the most common are heat stress and light leaks.
    Sugar is useful but like other sources of carbon, if your grow environment is poor, its value is negligible.
    A carb synthesizer such as Sweet has the catalysts to improve sugar usage by your plants.
    Notrealname likes this.

  3. #3
    Storm Crow's Avatar
    Storm Crow is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug-29-2005
    Posts
    2,952

    Lightbulb Hi sweetie...

    Sugar is OK, but what you need is molasses! Sugar will feed the beneficial fungi and bacteria in your soil, which in turn help your plants absorb their nutrients. Molasses goes one step further- it provides minerals, too. You will want the darker kind of molasses, not the light. Darker means more good stuff in it. I use one tablespoon per gallon of water, deep into flowering I sometimes use 2. If your plant is a sativa (tall, with skinny leaves), it may not help- some of them just have fluffy buds. Try running a search on molasses here and you will start using it! (Normally, I'd post a link for you, but Granny's sick today- one of my darlings at school gave me a nasty cold and you're big enough run a search without my help.)- Granny
    Notrealname likes this.

  4. #4
    WynOSmokeZ is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-22-2007
    Posts
    30
    LOL....I love granny (cracks me up)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May-03-2007
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Sugar is a good carbon source to fatten buds; I use molasses at a dilution rate of 1-2 tablespoons per gallon.
    If your buds are wispy and thin, though, you should look to other possible causes as well- the most common are heat stress and light leaks.
    Sugar is useful but like other sources of carbon, if your grow environment is poor, its value is negligible.
    A carb synthesizer such as Sweet has the catalysts to improve sugar usage by your plants.
    Thankyou so much, I've been learning alot since I joined this site, the plant I have though isn't in a growroom, I'm growing in good soil outside in southern Texas, I've posted all the details of this plant in the thread titled "Lost & Found" It's the one I found growing in my backyard already budding...more than likely from a bag of mids or beasts...it is doing reat since I took it under my care, but the buds aren't getting very big...lots of trichomes and white and orange pistils...just not very large.

    How often do I use the molasses and water? Every time I water? I give her 200 mililiters of distilled water every morning and 50 mililiters at night since the texas weather dries it up so damn quick.
    Last edited by ex-stoner/new grower; May-08-2007 at 08:40. Reason: mispell

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May-03-2007
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Crow View Post
    Sugar is OK, but what you need is molasses! Sugar will feed the beneficial fungi and bacteria in your soil, which in turn help your plants absorb their nutrients. Molasses goes one step further- it provides minerals, too. You will want the darker kind of molasses, not the light. Darker means more good stuff in it. I use one tablespoon per gallon of water, deep into flowering I sometimes use 2. If your plant is a sativa (tall, with skinny leaves), it may not help- some of them just have fluffy buds. Try running a search on molasses here and you will start using it! (Normally, I'd post a link for you, but Granny's sick today- one of my darlings at school gave me a nasty cold and you're big enough run a search without my help.)- Granny
    Thanks Granny! I have a bottle of Grandmas molasses in the fridge,...the dark stuff. I will start using this today. But my question still is How often I want to use it and for how long? And also yes it is a sativa, but these buds are still pretty light even for a sativa I believe. I can't thank you all enough for the advice

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May-03-2007
    Posts
    70
    Oh and what is this rep points I hear about and how do I give them to someone for good advice?

  8. #8
    stinkyattic's Avatar
    stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Join Date
    Nov-15-2005
    Posts
    18,541
    Molasses is a nice thing because in soil, it's not an exact science at all!
    I'd start adding it when you see bud set. Then you can pretty much give it whenever you feel like it. I give my indoor plants molasses about every third watering, along with either Sweet or TopMAx for best effect.
    If you see a post you like, click on the little scale thing next to the post number up in the right corner, and then you can leave the poster rep and a comment.
    learns-fast likes this.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May-03-2007
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Molasses is a nice thing because in soil, it's not an exact science at all!
    I'd start adding it when you see bud set. Then you can pretty much give it whenever you feel like it. I give my indoor plants molasses about every third watering, along with either Sweet or TopMAx for best effect.
    If you see a post you like, click on the little scale thing next to the post number up in the right corner, and then you can leave the poster rep and a comment.
    Well see I thought that's what it was cuz I see that silver scale on my posts next to "permalink" in the top right corner, but ONLY on my posts??? They are not on anyone elses for me to leave rep or comments. Do I need to be a member for a certain period of time before I can rep someone? Or do I need to have a certain amount of posts?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May-03-2007
    Posts
    70
    Oh and also What is "Sweet" and where can it be found?

  11. #11
    Nissan_420sx's Avatar
    Nissan_420sx is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-16-2007
    Posts
    235
    awsum man keep us posted on the grow

    and I believe you have to have 50 posts to be able to rep people

  12. #12
    stinkyattic's Avatar
    stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Join Date
    Nov-15-2005
    Posts
    18,541
    Sweet is a carb synthesizing supplement and you can get it at a grow shop, or look up 'Botanicare' to mail-order it. Bonus, it's a good value for the $$$

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May-03-2007
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Sweet is a carb synthesizing supplement and you can get it at a grow shop, or look up 'Botanicare' to mail-order it. Bonus, it's a good value for the $$$

    Thanks alot stinkyattic, you've been a great deal of help to me as I see you have to countless others. Thankyou for sharing so much of your knowledge with others that are still learning.
    littlewindy likes this.

  14. #14
    Chronic Chrissy's Avatar
    Chronic Chrissy is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec-17-2006
    Posts
    1,101
    I.love.my.carbo.load,along.side.voodoo.juice.my.pl ants.are.so.happy.
    Charlie Charlie Over And Out


    My New Grow Log Noobs take a look at everything that can go wrong here!
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...-problems.html

    My Avatar is for my Puppies. In loving memory of Angel and MJ whose lives were cut far too short just for doing their job far too well. They are deeply loved, mourned and missed. I will love you guys always and forever.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May-03-2007
    Posts
    70
    Wow, That stuff is expensive, will a quart of sweet go a long way for one plant because I'm not the richest man ya know? Even if not, I will still get it if it will make that much of a difference. A gallon online is 54.95 and a quart is 20 smackers! I'm gonna check out the nursery down the road from me, but I've started my girl on the molasses plus the nutes I've been using for her...now I just gotta get rid of the pest problem.

  16. #16
    stinkyattic's Avatar
    stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Join Date
    Nov-15-2005
    Posts
    18,541
    Spend your money on fighting pests! A stressed plant is going to give you headaches that no amount of sugar, either fed to the plants or fermented into beer and then fed to yourself, will cure, lol!
    littlewindy likes this.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May-03-2007
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Spend your money on fighting pests! A stressed plant is going to give you headaches that no amount of sugar, either fed to the plants or fermented into beer and then fed to yourself, will cure, lol!
    Haha, yea the pest problem isn't too bad yet, but I'm gonna nip it in the bud before it gets there. Got paid early today so I am on my way to the grow store for Jump Start, Sweet, and something for pests.
    If at first you don't succeed,.....skydiving is not for you.

  18. #18
    iblodro4220's Avatar
    iblodro4220 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-05-2007
    Posts
    237
    what about sucanat???
    Everything I Say Is Information From Research And All Questions I Ask Is For Further Research Any Pictures Where Found On The Internet Everything From This IP Address Is Not To Be Taken Seriously. Do Not Take What I Say Literally

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May-03-2007
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by iblodro4220 View Post
    what about sucanat???
    What is sucanat? And why do I want it?
    If at first you don't succeed,.....skydiving is not for you.

  20. #20
    iblodro4220's Avatar
    iblodro4220 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-05-2007
    Posts
    237
    its like a natrual sugar my friends used it on thier outdoor gro im not saying use it i was asking about it
    Everything I Say Is Information From Research And All Questions I Ask Is For Further Research Any Pictures Where Found On The Internet Everything From This IP Address Is Not To Be Taken Seriously. Do Not Take What I Say Literally

  21. #21
    Chronic Chrissy's Avatar
    Chronic Chrissy is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec-17-2006
    Posts
    1,101
    Look.what.I.found.for.you(I.learnt.a.few.things.to o).

    http://boards.cannabis.com/organic-g...ml#post1423535

    Hope.it's.not.to.late.
    Charlie Charlie Over And Out


    My New Grow Log Noobs take a look at everything that can go wrong here!
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...-problems.html

    My Avatar is for my Puppies. In loving memory of Angel and MJ whose lives were cut far too short just for doing their job far too well. They are deeply loved, mourned and missed. I will love you guys always and forever.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May-03-2007
    Posts
    70

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Chronic Chrissy View Post
    Look.what.I.found.for.you(I.learnt.a.few.things.to o).

    http://boards.cannabis.com/organic-g...ml#post1423535

    Hope.it's.not.to.late.
    Thanks Chrissy, it took me 15 minutes to read all of that, but very well worth it. I appreciate you sendin it my way. My girl has actually shown no signs of stress at all, no wilting or yellowing or anything, I guess I was all worried over nothing since her little tumble and root damage. I think it helped that it was raining and the soil is very aerated and light.
    Last edited by ex-stoner/new grower; May-11-2007 at 18:57.
    If at first you don't succeed,.....skydiving is not for you.

  23. #23
    evertking's Avatar
    evertking is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-25-2007
    Posts
    1,242
    molasses is cheap and it works
    built2spill likes this.

  24. #24
    JessieDiamond is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Mar-23-2010
    Posts
    8

    I Disagree: Use Plain Raw Sugar as Opposed to Molasses

    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Crow View Post
    Sugar is OK, but what you need is molasses! Sugar will feed the beneficial fungi and bacteria in your soil, which in turn help your plants absorb their nutrients. Molasses goes one step further- it provides minerals, too. You will want the darker kind of molasses, not the light. Darker means more good stuff in it. I use one tablespoon per gallon of water, deep into flowering I sometimes use 2. If your plant is a sativa (tall, with skinny leaves), it may not help- some of them just have fluffy buds. Try running a search on molasses here and you will start using it! (Normally, I'd post a link for you, but Granny's sick today- one of my darlings at school gave me a nasty cold and you're big enough run a search without my help.)- Granny
    Spray sugar water on my buds - Page 6 - Marijuana Growing

    In that thread I give reasons why. Just my two cents. :-)

    ~jessie

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep-27-2007
    Posts
    4,170
    Sugar is not the best foliar spray, but if you want bugs...it attracts them nicely. If you want sticky plants, walls and equipment, sugar is the ticket.

    Are you sure your sugar water is doing anything other than clogging the leaf's stomata? I'm not. The sugars must be broken-down into a usable form for it to benefit a plant. Otherwise it's not something the plant uses, it's something it deals with.

    If sugar water was so good, compainies like Advanced Nutrients would have most of their products derived from it. But that's not the case, as most of their products are derived from some form of molasses. Mostly sugar beet or cane sugar, but there are other totally bullshit concoctions that are simply watered-down molasses with a hefty pricetag.

    CalMag Plus, is a great example of this. It's not a bullshit concoction, but it is watered-down molasses. It's an ok product, per-se...but the 3 main benefits from molasses is the calcium, the magnesium, and the iron. Plus, there's carbs for bulking and a plethora of micronutes, but at fairly insignificant levels. Sugar water has...processed sugar and water.

    Believe it or not...even though this thread is three years old...the information is still valid. I'd ditch the sugar water for something that works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •