Thread: Is it possible to stunt growth..

Turtlez is offline Banned

Is it possible to stunt growth..

I am growing a plant in my backyard and i live in the middle of town and i'm afraid my plant is going to get too tall. I've heard of topping your plant, and that it could make your plant stay short.. but i just don't know enough about it. Can anyone help me out?

secretsmoker32 is offline Registered
    Hey mam, just tie it down...

secretsmoker32 is offline Registered
    man I meant

MajMike is offline Registered+

Either tie down (LST) or top . .

You can tie it down as suggested above, or top it (and/or the other main branches). Make sure you have at least two weeks more veg time if you top it, it takes that long to see the benefits.

With the tie down, all your bud sites will get good light penetration, that might be better than topping (but don't snap the plant).

Myself is offline Registered+
    Topping can never hurt if you do it properly. However if you do screw up when you're topping it will stunt the growth and damage the plant.

Turtlez is offline Banned
    How would i tie it down? what does that mean?

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    it simply means tie it down! like with string. don't top this late in the season.

NightProwler is offline Registered+
    here, this explains how to tie down your plants

Grow Marijuana FAQ, Cannabis cultivation - marijuana growing tips & photos
    I do not smoke/use/posess marijuana and i never will

ilovetv247 is offline Banned
    Is there a benefit from tying them down as opposed to topping the?

Yes, it's slightly less stressful to the plant, and allows the grower to choose what form the plant will eventually take. If you top without training, it will just turn into an unruly bush.

420F4i is offline Registered+
    My girls are stunted, i think from being in pots that are to small. Not sure tho. They're barely 2 feet tall, yet very healthy at 5 months.

HARDDON is offline Registered+
    Feeding a bit of jack daniels or southern comfort with each watering will stunt your plant growth...for future reference.
    Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. I do not grow or condone the growing of anything not legal. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widley available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.

Dankeybuds420 is offline Registered+

yup

ya jack would do the trick

Mr. Clandestine is offline Registered+
    Stinky once mentioned a product that either slowed down root growth, or somehow managed to limit vertical growth. Maybe when she reads this she'll be able to tell you what that stuff was. Either way, I don't imagine that subjecting your roots to 90 proof liquor is the best way to go about managing height. (Training is time-tested & grower approved.) But that's just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Switch to 24/0 light schedule and don't worry... about a thing... every little thing... gonna be all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    It can be a fine balance between "ok...I need to water later today" and "shit...I should have watered yesterday."
    Plant problems? Fill out the Troubleshooting Form BEFORE asking how you should fix it!

gainesvillegreen is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clandestine View Post
    Stinky once mentioned a product that either slowed down root growth, or somehow managed to limit vertical growth.
    Bushmaster maybe? All of that type product are expensive, very expensive.

Mr. Clandestine is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by gainesvillegreen View Post
    Bushmaster maybe? All of that type product are expensive, very expensive.
    Hey Gainesville,

You're right... I'm pretty sure that is what she recommended. And damn, that stuff IS expensive! Seems to me that topping and/or training would be a much cheaper alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Switch to 24/0 light schedule and don't worry... about a thing... every little thing... gonna be all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    It can be a fine balance between "ok...I need to water later today" and "shit...I should have watered yesterday."
    Plant problems? Fill out the Troubleshooting Form BEFORE asking how you should fix it!

gainesvillegreen is offline Registered+
    I may try that stuff out sometime. The main difference between training a plant and using this stuff is that Bushmaster and it's kin will shorten the internodal length in addition to keeping it short. More nodes in the same space, and more nodes total should equal more bud (or at the very least, more dense bud).

I can't RECOMMEND bushmaster but it is indeed the product I mentioned that is designed to limit height. IT does not work all the time on all strains..
    Addition of a MH to your flower room for the first couple weeks of flower, and making sure night/day temps are within 5'F of each other, will also limit stretch.