Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Yield per plant?

  1. #1
    Alejo's Avatar
    Alejo is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep-14-2007
    Posts
    36

    Yield per plant?

    I was reading up on some strains (thinking about growing in the future - once I get my own house) and I saw these statistics for Northern Lights.

    Strain information :
    Quantity : 10 + 10 FREE
    Type : Mostly Indica
    Yield : up to 17.5 ounces / 500 grams m2
    Height : up to 47.5 inches / 120 cm
    Flowering period : 8 to 9 weeks
    Harvest : end of September
    Stoned or High : Stoned - indica body buzz
    THC level : strong 15% - 20%
    Grow difficulty: Moderate
    Does this mean each plant yields 17.5 ounces of dried bud? Does it mean that all twenty seeds will produce that much? Does it mean that the plant will weigh that much? I'm a bit confused - thanks.

  2. #2
    Delta9Haze420's Avatar
    Delta9Haze420 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-01-2007
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Alejo View Post
    I was reading up on some strains (thinking about growing in the future - once I get my own house) and I saw these statistics for Northern Lights.

    Quote:
    Strain information :
    Quantity : 10 + 10 FREE
    Type : Mostly Indica
    Yield : up to 17.5 ounces / 500 grams m2
    Height : up to 47.5 inches / 120 cm
    Flowering period : 8 to 9 weeks
    Harvest : end of September
    Stoned or High : Stoned - indica body buzz
    THC level : strong 15% - 20%
    Grow difficulty: Moderate


    Does this mean each plant yields 17.5 ounces of dried bud? Does it mean that all twenty seeds will produce that much? Does it mean that the plant will weigh that much? I'm a bit confused - thanks.
    These figures are just a *representation* of what you MAY expect from the product, not a guarantee in any way. Notice the units of measurement. This does not show 17.5 ounces *per plant* - it shows it in relation to yield per m^2 (meters square - ie Sea Of Green). If you tightly pack plants into a 1 m^2 area and grow SOG properly, this is an approximation of what the total yield will be from all the plants combined. Keep in mind however, some plants will be male and need to be discarded, and many times you can't start a SOG from seeds very efficiently. SOG is much easier to set up from clones. If you grow your first generation seeds to maturity, hack the males, then clone the females - the clones, when arranged in a 1 m^2 SOG setup, will (according to the distributor's info) yield around 17-18 ounces in combined dry weight.

    Per plant, an average yield from any given strain is nowhere NEAR 17 *ounces*. A single plant may yield around 1 once on average, or 15-45 *grams* total - depending on if it is small or large when it is harvested, and if it was LSTed, FIMed, etc. Another major factor is strain when it comes to yield (sativas tend to yield slightly less than indicas, but not always). If you can pull 20-30 grams (around an ounce) from a single plant, this is considered a decent yield and respectable.

    I hope this helps, and doesn't confuse you more than you already were. If so, let me know and I will try to better explain, and there are many others around here who will be more than happy to assist as well . Happy Growing!

    *NOTE - "yield" is equal to the dry weight of the *buds* and/or "usable product" *after* harvesting, drying, and curing.
    Last edited by Delta9Haze420; Sep-20-2007 at 22:37.
    (−)-(6aR,10aR)-6,6,9-trimethyl-3-pentyl-6a,7,8,10a-tetrahydro-6H-benzo[c]chromen-1-ol

    All information posted under this account is purely hypothetical and intended for educational use only.

    Be wary of those who believe in a neat little world, its just f*cking crazy you know that it is. Walking along in a haze of confusion sometimes I can laugh, but at times takes all my strength to take the next step but I will till I drop the devil to his knees.

  3. #3
    Forwhat420 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-06-2004
    Posts
    484
    the plant will yield this much if you are a seasoned grower with a lot of patience. Usually in per m/2 is like close to a 4x4 foot area. (i think atleast) im know math major... Total vegging time of a plant this type would require about 2 to 2.5 months vegging time. Of course this depends on vigor. also you would probably have to start in 2 gallon pot and transpot 5 then to 10 right before flower. you may want to consider a scrog or low stress training. and at least 600 watts (hps recommened) of light to flower. if you have a few grows under your belt you could probably achieve this. other wise i would buy the seeds. grow a batch and select a few mothers to clone from. succesfully clone a few then put the mothers into flower in the meantime. grow your clones and repeat the process.

  4. #4
    Forwhat420 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-06-2004
    Posts
    484
    also inside or out? a thousand watts would be easier to acheive this too..

  5. #5
    grandfallsp is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Sep-04-2007
    Posts
    14
    a GOOD GROWER GETS A GRAM PER WATT

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan-29-2006
    Posts
    6,689
    Quote Originally Posted by grandfallsp View Post
    a GOOD GROWER GETS A GRAM PER WATT
    no, a very experienced grower with one helluva great setup 'might' get that, depending on strain ... don't believe everything you read, keep in mind, those 'strain descriptions' by the breeders are ADVERTISING, nothing more ... while an outdoor plant may yield a pound, the same plant in a typical indoor setup, likely only pulls a couple ounces ... one grower here, 'xcrispi', gets astounding yields, but he's the exception, not the rule ...
    Last edited by the image reaper; Sep-21-2007 at 11:33.

  7. #7
    highallthetime's Avatar
    highallthetime is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-11-2004
    Posts
    98
    it is per meter square , meaning that all the plants in a meter will yoield that

  8. #8
    Alejo's Avatar
    Alejo is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep-14-2007
    Posts
    36
    So basically, from a pack of ten seeds, if half are female, I should expect about a 5 ounce yield on average?

  9. #9
    Opie Yutts's Avatar
    Opie Yutts is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-14-2006
    Posts
    3,668
    Those yields in the seed descriptions are for a best case scenario. Think of it kinda like automobile sellers. They told me my Scion xb would get 34 miles per gallon. Well this is with the windows rolled up, a 90 lb. driver, no passengers or cargo, all systems working perfectly, tire pressure to maximum, and a mild tail wind. In reality I probably could get 34 mpg, but I would have to do a lot of tinkering and maintenance, and find the perfect conditions. I also would have to be an expert. Since that stuff aint going to happen, I get 28 miles per gallon.

    Same deal with seed sellers. You have to be an expert, and have all the conditions perfect to get the suggested yield.

    And it's been my experience that usually a little more than half turn out to be female. More like 3/4. Don't expect 100% survival either, but you just might be able to make that happen.

    And please allow me to be blunt. You are thinking a bit too much about the wrong things for a first grow. If you end up with any weed, you did good and reached the goal. Don't care about the yield so much. Just aim for a first time success. Think about things like the physical grow area, PH, nutrients, ventilation, lighting, odor control, and stealth issues. "How to" stuff, not "what will I get" stuff. But hey, that's just me.
    PLEASE STOP BY MY FOGGING THREAD
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

  10. #10
    cesarhorta's Avatar
    cesarhorta is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan-11-2007
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Opie Yutts View Post
    Those yields in the seed descriptions are for a best case scenario. Think of it kinda like automobile sellers. They told me my Scion xb would get 34 miles per gallon. Well this is with the windows rolled up, a 90 lb. driver, no passengers or cargo, all systems working perfectly, tire pressure to maximum, and a mild tail wind. In reality I probably could get 34 mpg, but I would have to do a lot of tinkering and maintenance, and find the perfect conditions. I also would have to be an expert. Since that stuff aint going to happen, I get 28 miles per gallon.

    Same deal with seed sellers. You have to be an expert, and have all the conditions perfect to get the suggested yield.

    And it's been my experience that usually a little more than half turn out to be female. More like 3/4. Don't expect 100% survival either, but you just might be able to make that happen.

    And please allow me to be blunt. You are thinking a bit too much about the wrong things for a first grow. If you end up with any weed, you did good and reached the goal. Don't care about the yield so much. Just aim for a first time success. Think about things like the physical grow area, PH, nutrients, ventilation, lighting, odor control, and stealth issues. "How to" stuff, not "what will I get" stuff. But hey, that's just me.
    i totally agree with him, grow is about fun, relax and watch this beautyfull plants grow and learn with them. and in the end if you have some good weed made by you is something i cant explain the felling, I LOVE TO GROW.

  11. #11
    Alejo's Avatar
    Alejo is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep-14-2007
    Posts
    36
    Well I was just curious about how much it is versus buying it from someone else. Seeds can be pretty pricey, plus the cost of maintainance... just wanted to make sure the yield was worth the cost.

  12. #12
    Forwhat420 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-06-2004
    Posts
    484
    its always worth it

  13. #13
    ProGroWannabe's Avatar
    ProGroWannabe is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-09-2007
    Posts
    398
    Waaaaaaaaaaay worth it! Not even a question there bro!
    It takes brains and balls to succeed in life. Some have way too much of one and not enough of the other!

  14. #14
    Opie Yutts's Avatar
    Opie Yutts is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-14-2006
    Posts
    3,668
    Worth it? is free weed worth it? Of course it's not actually free if you count the start up cost and the time spent. But if you do things right, you'll end up with way more weed in one or two grows than if you would just buy the weed for the price of start up. Anyway it's really fun. Like cesarhorta says you can't imagine the feeling you get when you see all the weed hanging up or laying out to dry. Or the feeling you get when you come across an aggravating problem, but eventually get it figured out. And of course the feeling you get when you get it all manicured and wieghed, and see it sitting there in a pile, and go wow, if I were to buy that it would cost me $1,000. Or something. Or the feeling you geet when the thc hits your brain.

    You just sit back and go, wow I did this. Of course with a little help from boards.cannabis.com.
    PLEASE STOP BY MY FOGGING THREAD
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

  15. #15
    Delta9Haze420's Avatar
    Delta9Haze420 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-01-2007
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Opie Yutts View Post
    Worth it? is free weed worth it? Of course it's not actually free if you count the start up cost and the time spent. But if you do things right, you'll end up with way more weed in one or two grows than if you would just buy the weed for the price of start up. Anyway it's really fun. Like cesarhorta says you can't imagine the feeling you get when you see all the weed hanging up or laying out to dry. Or the feeling you get when you come across an aggravating problem, but eventually get it figured out. And of course the feeling you get when you get it all manicured and wieghed, and see it sitting there in a pile, and go wow, if I were to buy that it would cost me $1,000. Or something. Or the feeling you geet when the thc hits your brain.

    You just sit back and go, wow I did this. Of course with a little help from boards.cannabis.com.

    These comments are by far my favorite things about growing. It is a process of ups, downs, turns, and emotions - the different stages of growth, nurturing the girls, deciding when to harvest, etc etc... All these things, and the care you put into it make it a very enjoyable and satisfying thing to do. To me, growing is at least half the fun of enjoying the herb. Anyone can buy it, but I would rather have the fun watching them grow up and then yielding a small portion than buying some for the same price for a quick fix. Of course I would rather yield on the above average range, but my point is I would be far happier with 1 ounce of nice, homegrown and cared for kind (that I was able to nurture), than a QP of anything from a dealer...
    (−)-(6aR,10aR)-6,6,9-trimethyl-3-pentyl-6a,7,8,10a-tetrahydro-6H-benzo[c]chromen-1-ol

    All information posted under this account is purely hypothetical and intended for educational use only.

    Be wary of those who believe in a neat little world, its just f*cking crazy you know that it is. Walking along in a haze of confusion sometimes I can laugh, but at times takes all my strength to take the next step but I will till I drop the devil to his knees.

  16. #16
    Alejo's Avatar
    Alejo is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep-14-2007
    Posts
    36
    No I totally agree with you guys. I've never grown but I'd imagine the process is pretty fun and fulfilling. Also would be a nice money saver and a cool little hobby. I'm probably doing too much research too early, could be another two years before I move out of the dorms here.

  17. #17
    cesarhorta's Avatar
    cesarhorta is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan-11-2007
    Posts
    124
    go fo it, its always worth the experience, and i promise you that if you like the first grow, you gonna love the next grows and it turns like one adicct to grow marijuana plants.
    happy grow and good luck.

  18. #18
    ProGroWannabe's Avatar
    ProGroWannabe is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-09-2007
    Posts
    398
    Never too early for research my friend. There's a good number of folks on here that research very little. They post an @ss-load of questions, then wait for responses. If they'd just do a few searches, they'd get their answers far sooner.

    If your researching now, you'll be way ahead of the game when your time comes. There is a huge difference between getting a plant to the point of harvest, and getting a heavy harvest. The latter requires a lot of learning, patience, dialing in your grow environment, a decent monetary investment, and some real work(to get started). With all that said....it is so ADDICTIVE growing your own.
    I'm rambling now....sorry. Good Luck!
    It takes brains and balls to succeed in life. Some have way too much of one and not enough of the other!

  19. #19
    HighTillIDie is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug-03-2005
    Posts
    729
    lol expect one ounce per plant...


    if i fuck up

  20. #20
    ProGroWannabe's Avatar
    ProGroWannabe is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-09-2007
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by HighTillIDie View Post
    lol expect one ounce per plant...


    if i fuck up
    lol---yeah right! You spend too much time on here to get one oz per plant. You'll get at least 1.2 oz's.
    It takes brains and balls to succeed in life. Some have way too much of one and not enough of the other!

  21. #21
    Opie Yutts's Avatar
    Opie Yutts is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-14-2006
    Posts
    3,668
    Quote Originally Posted by ProGroWannabe View Post
    You spend too much time on here
    Well aint that the pot calling the kettle black.
    PLEASE STOP BY MY FOGGING THREAD
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

  22. #22
    ProGroWannabe's Avatar
    ProGroWannabe is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-09-2007
    Posts
    398
    Yeah....laughin my @ss off on that one!!!!!! And yes it IS the pot callin the kettle black.
    It takes brains and balls to succeed in life. Some have way too much of one and not enough of the other!

  23. #23
    Forwhat420 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-06-2004
    Posts
    484
    get a 400 watt...be plant seeds in a good aierated soil...watch the babies pop...apply fert regimine very lightly..(until you know your girls at least)...wait and be patient while in vegetation state..at least 30 i like 45 days though just cause..flower for 9 weeks and...WOW i never smoked something this good..."it's my own too"...................
    lol..im high.. its worth it though..

  24. #24
    fsunoles is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-12-2006
    Posts
    140
    smoke for free and make some money nothing can beat that bro!

  25. #25
    BacchusGodofWine is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Sep-07-2007
    Posts
    10
    You won't have a problem recovering your costs. Just think how much weed you smoke and what its worth for a lifetime of free access to pot. Even when yur an old man you can keep a few flowering buds in the nursing home, just tell them its medicinal. Just get basic equipment like some CFLs and bagseed there's lots of info on how to begin on the forums, its the basic skill of growing a plant indoors thats important to work on.

    Peace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •