Cannabis.com

Thread: Hermaphroditic male

muordeeb is offline Registered+

Hermaphroditic male

This is a male c99/apollo11 plant. It's been in flower for 2 wks. I kept it because I want seeds. I just noticed what looked like female pistils growing right next to the male organ. Is this a normal occurance with male plants or is it a hermaphrodite?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hermaphroditic male-pb260016.jpg   Hermaphroditic male-pb260017.jpg   Hermaphroditic male-pb260018.jpg  

Hermaphroditic male-pb260019.jpg  

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

JerzeeAmbeez is offline Registered+
    Yes! you have a hermi! but a hermi, when you mix the pollen with another female you will get mostly feminized seeds so good luck how many seeds depends on you but save the pollen in a lil jar or bagy in case you want to use it again

If you did not purposefully stress the plant to go hermie, it may well pass the hermie trait along to all of the seeds it makes. This means you will most likely end up with females that also put out male parts. That is not really good, lol.

I have stressed (on purpose) many fems to force male flowers, and have never (yet) had problems with the resultant seeds showing hermie traits, but have never even thought of doing it backwards. (well...backwards to me, lol)

Here's what I think I know:
    When a stressed female puts out pollen sacks, the pollen it produces has no male chromosomes, so seeds come out as mostly female. To me, it would make sense that if you stress a male to produce fem parts, the resultant seeds would be mostly male, as there would be no female chromosomes.
    I'm not a breeder, nor a biologist, tho, and am interested in other folks responses to this.

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Quote Originally Posted by JerzeeAmbeez View Post
    Yes! you have a hermi! but a hermi, when you mix the pollen with another female you will get mostly feminized seeds
    No, this is just wrong.

A male plant has chromosomes XY.
    A female has XX.
    A female that has gone herm is still XX and so is her pollen.
    A male that has gone herm is still XY and so is his pollen.
    Pollen from a male hermaphrodite then will logically give the same m/f ratio as a normal male when crossed with a female:

XX x XY will give XX or XY and the ratios expressed will be 'normal'.

It's not unusual for a male to go herm when you've had him around long enough. Just since you are seeing it so early in flower, be extra careful when checking the offspring for balls later.

Anecdotally, I've heard mumblings that using a male herm will yield more bud mass and/or more potent bud... but I take every rumour I read on the internet with a big ol' salt lick. I'm skeptical that this is true, and even were it true, that it woudl be noticeable to the home grower.

I don't know about you guys but everytime I've crossed a hermi with a female about 85% of my seeds are female with no sight of balls, 15% are hermi but this is when a female turns hermi I only had one or two males that turned hermi I just assumed that males don't turn into females just that the female hairs werent seen or didn't show up yet being most boys show sex before females
    I guess I'm wrong...

That has to be a female gone hermie to produce feminized seeds, and the offspring should be 99% or more female as the pollen from a herm F has no Y chromosome.

So stinky, Being that your saying a male can turn into a hermi and a female can turn into a hermi..... How can you tell them a part? By which sex comes first?

For example, I had a hermi that started showing both sex at the same time it had equal parts of both sex? (I don't want to confuse anyone now)

By which shows first- which is predominant. You may see at some point a plant that appears to be entirely monoecious, and carries significant flowers of both sexes. The chromosomes in those? Hell, it's anyone's guess. haha. Plus the possibility of having an extra chromosome exists... it gets messy.

ohhh.... ok I gotcha see learn something new everyday ..... so deeb here has a male hermi...

Subjekt is offline Registered+
    Well damn, JerzeeAmbeez, You've had plants that has shown sex signs of opposite sex on one plant at the same time? So what kind of seeds are you getting? I would assume you would have a decent amount of each sex since u can not tell wether it was a male or female first before hermi.....No sex is more dominant than the other cuz A female needs a male and vice versa...for some reason i think when a plant shows both sex at once then your seeds will be more of a hermi!? My opinion

As for Deeb, if your into "crossing" strains and producing more male plants then you should keep your ManHermi LOL....It might come in handy in the future...

Good Luck with whatever you do afterwards

muordeeb is offline Registered+
    Thank you all for you input, I think I'm gonna get rid of this male, don't want to take a chance on having malenized beans.

klondike_bar is offline Banned
    a herm female is typically releasing pollen with (i believe) either female or no genetics. this is how it makes female-only seeds (no y-chromosome in the mix)

however, if a male hermies, wouldnt it work the opposite and make guaranteed males???

either way, pop the sacks and grow it as a female!

Quote Originally Posted by klondike_bar View Post
    ummm...I'm guessing this is not the optimum idea, unless you really don't intend on growing for smokable stuff. It's genetics are questionable at best, so offspring from theese plants will likely have the same problems.

Also, males do not produce enough smoke to mess with. They don't bud. That's why everyone is so intent on putting the effort in determining females early. Following this path may have long-term ramifications to this grow, and future grows from those 'new' seeds. May end up fighting a losing battle for quite some time.

The smoke you got those seeds from may have been good, but perhaps it's time to try seeds from another source. (IMHO)

klondike_bar is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    No, this is just wrong.

A male plant has chromosomes XY.
    A male that has gone herm is still XY and so is his pollen.
    Pollen from a male hermaphrodite then will logically give the same m/f ratio as a normal male when crossed with a female:

XX x XY will give XX or XY and the ratios expressed will be 'normal'.
    wait, that doesnt make sence by your reasoning.

it would be XY x XY, which could make XX, XY, or YY....

...which leads to the question: what happens if YY? dud?

Re-read my post. " Pollen from a male hermaphrodite then will logically give the same m/f ratio as a normal male when crossed with a female:"

KB sez: "a herm female is typically releasing pollen with (i believe) either female or no genetics. this is how it makes female-only seeds (no y-chromosome in the mix)

It's got genetics, just no Y.

however, if a male hermies, wouldnt it work the opposite and make guaranteed males???

Nope, a male STILL carries the X chromosome. A male is XY; that logic would only follow if it were YY.

It's not a female. It will never BE a female. It's a male with pistils. Popping sacks releases pollen... so unless you want your next crop to risk contamination by crap herm genetics, just toss the plant. Which I think you've already done.