Thread: molasses?

smackhead1984 is offline Registered+

molasses?

im new to the idea of using molasses and am planning on using with bio bizz 'topmax' and would like to know how much i should be using and is mollasses sugar useable or is the propduct im after a liquid like treacle or honey?

Go to the local food store and get yourself some blackstrap unsulphured molasses. I use about a tablespoon per gallon during flowering. It's helped for sure; my indica was some of the stinkiest weed I've ever smelled, and it came from middie bagseed.
    All the ducks are swimming in the water.
    -Lemon Jelly

Let's trip the light fantastic.

There is no you, there is only me.

Sing like you think no one is listening.

As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.

A precursor to a perpetuating era of ignorance, lies, and vanity:
    http://www.ukcia.org/potculture/48/anslinger.html

qwertyweed is offline Registered
    I know this is off topic but would you say molasses used in conjunction with bat shit would produce very nice tasting buds?

texas grass is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyweed View Post
    I know this is off topic but would you say molasses used in conjunction with bat shit would produce very nice tasting buds?
    molasses used in conjunction with any fert to my knowledge is great. molasses dont really make your buds sweet but it helps bring out the natural aroma, oils and flavors in the buds

i have also found better results using a horticultural style molasses
    just tryin to live the good life with my friend and wife now its time to and stay and be a
    http://boards.cannabis.com/basic-gro...-dankness.html
    complete guide to mothers clones and trimming roots http://www.cannabase.com/cl/index.html
    these last 2 links have most grow books to read http://greenmanspage.com/guides/ growmoreweed.com

bballsk8er333 is offline Registered
    is it true that molasses causes clogs in drip systems? if so, is there any alternative? im def looking into mol

Mr. Clandestine is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by bballsk8er333 View Post
    is it true that molasses causes clogs in drip systems? if so, is there any alternative? im def looking into mol
    You might want to head over to the Hydroponics area and ask this question there. I'm a soil fanatic, so I can't answer your question... but I'm pretty sure I've heard that molasses can cause some issues in DWC buckets and become stagnate in reservoirs. So definitely ask some of our hydro guys/gals before you try it.

As for soil grows, I love using molasses. I honestly have never done a side-by-side trial with it, so I've never visually seen how well it works. But, on the other hand, the plants seem to love it... and have never given me indication that they didn't appreciate the added sweetness. (Probably makes the taste of the bat shit more tolerable! )
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Switch to 24/0 light schedule and don't worry... about a thing... every little thing... gonna be all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    It can be a fine balance between "ok...I need to water later today" and "shit...I should have watered yesterday."
    Plant problems? Fill out the Troubleshooting Form BEFORE asking how you should fix it!

Dreadscale is offline Registered+
    I know nothing about hydo, but in soil it rocks.

Potassium 8%
    Calcium 10%
    Magnesium 20%
    Iron 15%

How can you go wrong with that?
    I started using it for the Magnesium and Iron and plants love it.
    When read carefully, these statements contain subtle nuances that,
    if not properly accounted for, make them seem far more significant than they really are.

hi, ive just ordered myself some blackstrap unsulphured molasses, please have a look at my plans after reading ur posts and a few searches....

My molasses/ topmax dose im planning to use for flowering so far:

1st week: 1ml topmax (per litre) no molasses.
    2nd week: 2ml topmax (per litre) 1 tablespoon molasses (per gallon)
    3rd week: 2ml topmax (per litre) 1 tablespoon molasses (per gallon)
    4th week: 3ml topmax (per litre) 2 tablespoon molasses (per gallon)
    5th week: 3ml topmax (per litre) 2 tablespoon molasses (per gallon)
    6th week: 3ml topmax (per litre) 2 tablespoon molasses (per gallon)
    7th week: Just water.

both are included in every watering during flowering except for last week (or last ten days)

does anybody have experience with the 'Top Max' product and how close to the upper limit of the recommended dose (2-5 ml) do you think i could push to before any problems occur?

so how does it look?

I've had no problems with molasses in my drip systems ... I was surprised to find it dissolved completely in cold water, too, I didn't expect that ... great stuff, made my buds obviously denser

Treetops is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by the image reaper View Post
    I've had no problems with molasses in my drip systems ... I was surprised to find it dissolved completely in cold water, too, I didn't expect that ... great stuff, made my buds obviously denser
    Reaper,
    Glad to see you back and posting...Got any pics we can see of your results in using the molasses?

Thanks
    Peace,
    Treetops

I use about a tablespoon per gallon during flowering.
    do you use it every watering or do you just include it once a week or so?

bump.. plz let me know how often molasses is added

I use 1 'gloop' of it, once a week with my micro's. Good idea to watch your ph when using it.
    During the winter, I use nutes on Mondays, micros and additives (molasses, CalMag Plus...) on Thursdays. During the warmer summer months, I generally nute on Mondays and Thursdays, (half strength each day) and micro's and additives on Saturdays.
    Last edited by Rusty Trichome; Mar-05-2008 at 10:10.

would it be ok to just keep everything in for all waterings but at smaller amounts?

today i used per gallon:
    5ml of BioGrow, 10ml of BioBloom, 10ml of Topmax, and just a teaspoon of molasses.

these amounts are well under the max dosage... biobloom, biogrow and topmax all have the max recommended as 5ml each, so im still under half that... and molasses ive seen as much as 2 tablespoons per gallon but surely that would be just weekly?

I also keep wondering if the common recommendation of using half the recommended amount applies only to everyday fertalizers and not to brands made specifically for our uses.

Im pretty sure bio bizz is made specifically for weed, mind you i still wouldnt use the max cos my soils already fat with vits. I guess that if i was using coco id be able to use near the max without problems?

Don't know if what I do is right or wrong, but it works for me. I like to spread-out the foods and micro's, with freshwater waterings inbetween. (if necessary) This way I can better monitor the effects of the feedings on run-off ph, and the plants themselves. Drops my ph a bit too much if all mixed-in together, too.

If the plants are receptive, can sneak-up on the max recommended dilution, over a few weeks time. (on mature plants) If unhappy, they'll let you know pronto. Wouldn't just go for it all at once, tho.
    Last edited by Rusty Trichome; Mar-05-2008 at 17:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Treetops View Post
    Reaper,
    Glad to see you back and posting...Got any pics we can see of your results in using the molasses?

Thanks
    Peace,
    Treetops
    final yield was 4.25 oz. per plant, bone-dry buds ... I probably dropped another 1/2 oz. while manicuring ... my trimmings all wind up in cookies, anyway, so no harm done ... but, the buds were noticeably denser, and more solid, with the use of the molasses ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails molasses?-dried-norcal-daddys-girl-buds.jpg  

Big len is offline Registered+
    I use it all the time every watering in hydro 1 teaspoon to a gal, you will notice your bud will become more pungent, nice and stinky. Luv it.

Treetops is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by the image reaper View Post
    final yield was 4.25 oz. per plant, bone-dry buds ... I probably dropped another 1/2 oz. while manicuring ... my trimmings all wind up in cookies, anyway, so no harm done ... but, the buds were noticeably denser, and more solid, with the use of the molasses ...
    Reaper,
    Very nice....You have done well as usual...
    Peace,
    Treetops