Thread: How Much Light Should You Give a Seedling?

ItsDaGangaaaa is offline Registered+

Question How Much Light Should You Give a Seedling?

ok, i have 3 seedlings right now that just sprouted, they are all about a half inch tall. How much light is recomended for healthy strong growth? Its been about a day now and i have my cfls goin 24 hours what shud i do?

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+
    The CFL's will be enough light for the first 3-4 weeks.

Question

dam i mean like how many hours a day for seedlings?

cigarettes42 is offline Registered+
    hours is growers preference for vegetative stage. you can run keep em on 24 hours or 18hrs light and 6hrs dark. its your choice. when you flower its 12/12. my preference is leave em on 24 hours a day on cfl and 18/6 when i use a mh

aright yea im runnin on 2 twirly cfls 24 hrs a day i think after about the first week or so i will put them under 18 hrs a day still cfl because thats all i have is this wrong? wen shud i start 18/6?

cigarettes42 is offline Registered+
    you can do 18/6 when ever you want. you can even have that light regiment starting seedlings. it is only highly recommended to keep clones under 24hours, but 18/6 will do too. myself i was using 24 hours with my mh with bigger plants but now im going to switch to 18/6 cause my electric bill is getting really high. but when i use my t5 at start of seedlings or clones i will use 24hrs cause t5 take less electric. just remember

vegetative stage : 24 hours or 18/6 - whatever your preference is. some people say there is no noticeable growth either way and some say there is faster growth with 24 hrs cycle.

Flowering Stage : 12/12 - you only use that light cycle when you want to start to flower. mostly done when the plant reaches atleast a foot tall but will get a better yeild if wait till you see pre-flowers

** just dont keep switching back and forth from 24 to 18/6 and so on. it will cause light stress causing it to herm.
    Last edited by cigarettes42; Feb-28-2009 at 16:17.

alrighty then thanks 4 the info. i think im gonna keep um on 24 hrs 4 the first week then turn um to 18/6 until they get big enough, i got 3 of them growin very nicely, i just dont have the room for them to get big enough i have to either think of something, or give them to a friend, but i want to keep them, they are like my babys lol i need to think of something and hopefully i will. wish me luck!
    -ItsDaGangaaaa