Thread: Is it good to put worms in your soil?

SheCutEmDown is offline Registered+

Is it good to put worms in your soil?

I was wondering if I should add a few worms to my mother plants pot?

It is a 4 gallon pot. I know it would help create air tunnels though my soil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is it good to put worms in your soil?-worms.jpg  

If your soil needs aeration, add more perlite. (perlite won't eat your roots)

SOG420 is offline Registered+

Smoke worms n die

In my exp. I have three generations of eartworms(Fatty nightcrawlers) in my master organic soil mix. The only ones that make it to pots are either eggs or babies that slip through the sifter. When I re veg these critters have proven quite usefull.I release a batch of 20 pregnant worms that have been isolated and fed soil rich in aerobic mitochondria.For me this is almost as essential as flushing before re veg for airation and natures way of natural selection for which roots are robubust enough.my 2 cents
    peace
    P.S.
    I know u didn't ask but worms have no place in a coco rich ecosystem
    Last edited by SOG420; Mar-18-2009 at 10:06.
    May I always remember that I am only a co-pilot on this green ride!
    I only post copied or duplicated pictures I receive from the internet. I do not sell, grow, or condone the growing of an illegal drug.

worms don't eat roots, and yes, they are good for your soil, BUT, your watering and ferts are likely to chase them out of the pot ... buy worm castings for your soil, instead ... outstanding fertilizer !

What do worms eat...?
    What worms eat depends in part on where they live. Worms can live closer to the surface or much deeper underground. On the surface, worms eat a variety of organic materials, such as dead grass and leaves that have fallen from the trees. There are microscopic organisms that live on these leaves. These organisms provide the worm with a variety of algae, fungi and bacteria that are essential for the worm’s diet.
    Like mychorrizal fungi spores? (one of the beneficial bacteria living symbiotically with the roots)

Worms...
    "Worms perform several functions in your garden soil. Their tunneling activity helps aerate the soil. The channels they make as they move through the soil allow rain to enter the soil more rapidly, reducing runoff and the potential for erosion. This also helps improve soil structure by creating a loose soil that is easily penetrated by roots.

Worms increase the nutrients available in the soil for plants. As worms digest plant material, their castings or excrement concentrate nutrients. Castings are several times higher in nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium than topsoil."

"Provide worms with organic matter for a food source. Worms eat plant residues. Mulches such as grass clippings or leaves will provide a food source. Mulches also will help moderate soil temperatures in the summer, making the upper layers of the soil more desirable for worms.

Worms, as well as plants, do best with moderate levels of soil moisture. Too much or too little moisture is bad for both worms and your plants.

Reduce your use of pesticides. Fungicides are especially toxic to many worm species.

Use fertilizer carefully. Not only can excessive use of fertilizer contaminate water, but also some studies have shown that excessive nitrogen fertilizers may harm populations of certain worm species.

Reduce tillage in your garden. Numerous studies have shown that earthworms are disturbed by tillage. Too much tillage reduces organic matter needed as a food source and can decrease soil moisture.

Maintain a pH (the acidity of the soil) near 7. While some species can tolerate a wider range of soil pH, most worms do best when pH is near neutral.

I'd still stick with the perlite. Decaying worms are not a good addition to ones cannabis garden. With the addition of worms, you need to keep the either the worms happy, or the plant happy. As this isn't a worm gardening forum, I'd personally stick with what's best for growing cannabis.
    But if it's worth the added cost and effort, go for it.
    Last edited by Rusty Trichome; Mar-18-2009 at 10:52.

good info ... I interpret that, that the worms are digesting the DEAD plant material, as I've always been told ... but, I don't know everything

SheCutEmDown is offline Registered+
    Im gunna put a few in, and see how everything responds.

Quote Originally Posted by the image reaper View Post
    good info ... I interpret that, that the worms are digesting the DEAD plant material, as I've always been told ... but, I don't know everything
    I was always told to keep them out of pots, because they can eat the feeder roots. (versus the tap roots, I was assuming) Cannabis is mostly feeder roots, lol. But yes, I was assuming this was true. Likely you're right on the dead/decaying matter, but regardless, keeping the soil healthy for worms, and also healthy for cannabis, might not be possible or preferable.

Not sure I could even keep the lil buggers alive where I live, anyway. I bought my last 10 lb. box of castings from a local nursery guy that was giving-up trying to keep them alive here in the desert.

Also, in flower I'm not sure I'd want all that slow-release nitrogen (worm castings) building-up uncontrollably.

More power to ya if your results are positive with the worms, but I know what perlite does, how it does it, and what it adds to my soil.