Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Is 24 hours of light continuously 24/7 bad for my plants??

  1. #1
    jlve187 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    May-01-2009
    Posts
    98

    Question Is 24 hours of light continuously 24/7 bad for my plants??

    I have about 9 plants and they are seedlings about 6 days old getting big now but i havent gave them a rest yet i was thinking about giving them about 6 hours of darkness tonite because they been going for 24/7... What do you guys think??? Is 24/7 to much for them and should i give them a resting period?????

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan-29-2006
    Posts
    6,689
    that is the oldest argument in growing ... in MY opinion, plants need the dark cycles to reach their full potential ... I can't give hard evidence supporting that, but after a lifetime of growing, and trying alternative methods, I still use 18/6 for vegetative period, and 12/12 for the flowering period ... I just haven't seen improvement by moving much off that schedule ... cannabis is so tough, it will adjust to damn near anything, but there's nowhere on the entire planet, that is fully lit 24 hours a day (except, maybe Las Vegas ) ...

    but, here's a VERY interesting theory, on using light periods, to influence the sativa characteristics, by DJ Short, the famous breeder ...

    Breeding tips | Cannabis Culture Magazine ... thought-provoking

    P.S. - young seedlings, transplants, and clones probably need the darkness most ... the plant is busier building a root system, when not photosynthesizing the light ...
    Last edited by the image reaper; May-10-2009 at 11:03.

  3. #3
    oldmac's Avatar
    oldmac is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-24-2008
    Posts
    1,083

    short answer: NO

    Quote Originally Posted by jlve187 View Post
    I have about 9 plants and they are seedlings about 6 days old getting big now but i havent gave them a rest yet i was thinking about giving them about 6 hours of darkness tonite because they been going for 24/7... What do you guys think??? Is 24/7 to much for them and should i give them a resting period?????
    Hey jlve187,
    There is no harm done to a plant by vegging at 24/0, 24/7.
    I've used both 24/0 and 18/6 and it really is a personnel choice or what works best for you in your situation.

    Hello ImageReaper,
    Thank you so much for stating clearly that your answer was your opinion.

    I think when people say that it needs a "rest" period, they are projecting thier human needs onto the plant. I also believed they needed a rest period, up to a few years ago when I took some botany classes at the local community college. Found out our beloved plant did not grow anything at night, not even roots.

    Think about running a clonner....weak, blue biased light, 24 hours a day....to root cuttings. The interesting thing is, if you root cuttings using 12/12, it will work but root growth is much slower. If they laid down roots during the dark period the 12/12 should grow roots faster. (unless the plant is confused, not knowing to root or bloom?)

  4. #4
    jlve187 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    May-01-2009
    Posts
    98

    Question Thanks man!!!

    Hey thanks helps me alot!!! i have another question though i have them in 8 oz plastic cups and i just looked on the bottom of the cups and i can see the roots they are touching the bottom and some of them are like becoming legnthy on the bottom ya kno....Should i transplant them into a bigger pot now or should i wait a few more days??? They are only 5 days old... I planted them on may 5th....around 3:30pm eastern time usa....Any replys would be great!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep-27-2007
    Posts
    4,170
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmac View Post
    I think when people say that it needs a "rest" period, they are projecting thier human needs onto the plant. I also believed they needed a rest period, up to a few years ago when I took some botany classes at the local community college. Found out our beloved plant did not grow anything at night, not even roots.
    What kind of plant did y'all grow? I'm guessing it wasn't even close to the cannabis species, with different native habits, growing conditions, nutrients and such. Galss container to monitor roots? C'mon...more info...

    Although Image said it was his opinion, and you acknowledged his saying it was his opinion...I'm surprised to see you jump in with your opinion as if it were fact. This debate has raged on forever because there is ample suggestions for supporting both sides, and most of us that believe in the darkness period (me included) are, at the very least, mimicking the general conditions in nature, without risking developmental stress. (and a larger electricity bill) So without supporting documentation, your words will have be added to the 'darkness not necessary' category.

    In other words...the next time you decide to slam someone else's opinion, how about showing your proof?

    Too many cannabis fables...not nearly enough documentation.

  6. #6
    syde00 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-20-2009
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by the image reaper View Post
    but there's nowhere on the entire planet, that is fully lit 24 hours a day (except, maybe Las Vegas ) ...

    the artic circle actually gets 24 hours of light between june and august! good luck growing MJ in -40C weather though rofl.

  7. #7
    oldmac's Avatar
    oldmac is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-24-2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by syde00 View Post
    the artic circle actually gets 24 hours of light between june and august! good luck growing MJ in -40C weather though rofl.
    Hi syde00,

    Thanks for that, I was just going explain to ImageReaper the same thing. I stayed with a friend north of Fairbanks and in the summer at a certian point the sun comes up and then just geos round and round in the sky, till weeks later it finally sets a bit. Most disconcerting to people not use to it...imposible to tell north from south while looking at the sun.

  8. #8
    oldmac's Avatar
    oldmac is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-24-2008
    Posts
    1,083
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    What kind of plant did y'all grow? I'm guessing it wasn't even close to the cannabis species, with different native habits, growing conditions, nutrients and such. Galss container to monitor roots? C'mon...more info...

    Although Image said it was his opinion, and you acknowledged his saying it was his opinion...I'm surprised to see you jump in with your opinion as if it were fact. This debate has raged on forever because there is ample suggestions for supporting both sides, and most of us that believe in the darkness period (me included) are, at the very least, mimicking the general conditions in nature, without risking developmental stress. (and a larger electricity bill) So without supporting documentation, your words will have be added to the 'darkness not necessary' category.

    In other words...the next time you decide to slam someone else's opinion, how about showing your proof?

    Too many cannabis fables...not nearly enough documentation.
    Hello Rusty,

    First, let me appologize to you and IR, I was hoping to start a dialogue with him over certian inaccurrate statements he has made lately and where not proceeded by a opion disclaimer. I had seen you post a similar idea for the need for sleep, with the IMO....I was happy IR did it the same.

    I was not trying to "slam" his opinion, that is really hyperbole on your part.
    In fact I stated I held the same opinon right up to a few years ago, till I got some facts. But you are right, I should have labled it opinon so not to offend anyone who wanted to disagree with current scienitific thinking on this subject.

    So here goes. It is my opinon, based on what I've been taught in a classroom, read in a botany textbook and later proved by real world experiments that marijuana, as a C3 plant has no need for a dark period or in human terms "rest" period, while in it's in VEGATIVE state. And they will grow roots without any dark period. In fact, while growing 24/0 for 24/7 it is quite "happy" to put it in human terms again. During the FLOWERING state a dark potoperiod is necessary.

    Wish I was taking pics back then to doc the experiment. But the experiment was something I did after reading some BS on these boards last year. "you can't clone using 12/12". The debate went for awhile, to me it was stupid to argue since it is so easy to do an experiment, and that's what I did. Proved, at least to myself, you could clone at 12/12 if just took twice as long, or if I gave them the same number of days in the cloner, the 12/12 group had about 1/2 the amount of root mass. The only logical conclusion I could draw was they did not grow roots during the dark photoperiods ("sleepy time" to you). Try it, let me know how it works, for you.

    BTW: In the college course I took we oviously did not grow any mj (wow, willing to make safe bets) but it was an often talked about often asked about plant. And the prof devoted one whole day to it (he told me after the class it's always the same, worlds most popular weed I guess)

    In the future when I state something, I'll use the opinon disclaimer, even when I know it to be fact...like C3 plants need no dark photoperiod during veg.

    Soooo speaking of cannabis fables, how about some proof for your opinon that marijuana needs a "rest period"? Maybe a couple of coffee breaks during the day would suffice. And since you feel strongly about thier need to rest, what are your thoughts on giving them two weeks vaction every year?
    Last edited by oldmac; May-14-2009 at 10:57.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep-27-2007
    Posts
    4,170
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmac View Post

    Hello Rusty,I was not trying to "slam" his opinion, that is really hyperbole on your part.
    In fact I stated I held the same opinon right up to a few years ago, till I got some facts. But you are right, I should have labled it opinon so not to offend anyone who wanted to disagree with current scienitific thinking on this subject.
    Hyperbole...? An obvious exaggeration...? Lol. You are slamming anyone's opinion that doesn't jive with yours. I could care less what the subject matter, if you are going to correct someone else's post, you damn well better be ready to back your words. Again...what facts? All I'm asking is for you to show some proof of your difinitive statements.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldmac;
    here goes. It is my opinon, based on what I've been taught in a classroom, read in a botany textbook and later proved by real world experiments that marijuana, as a C3 plant has no need for a dark period or in human terms "rest" period, while in it's in VEGATIVE state. And they will grow roots without any dark period. In fact, while growing 24/0 for 24/7 it is quite "happy" to put it in human terms again. During the FLOWERING state a dark potoperiod is necessary.
    As I perviously stated, most of us believe that the rest period is helpful. Nobody said mandatory, as we all know cannabis does not need a dark period early in veg. But regardless, are you claiming that cannabis grows better (healthier, faster, stronger) on a 24/0 schedule in veg, than a 18/6 schedule? I'm not a believer, so go ahead and feel free to prove it.
    In my experience, rooted clones and seedlings do better with a nightly dark period. I offer no proof, but I know what works for my cannabis plants, and share this insight with others.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldmac;
    In the future when I state something, I'll use the opinon disclaimer, even when I know it to be fact...like C3 plants need no dark photoperiod during veg.
    Damn good idea, as your "fact" is lacking proof. Especially if in regards to improved growth habits.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldmac;
    Soooo speaking of cannabis fables, how about some proof for your opinon that marijuana needs a "rest period"?
    My proof...? There is none, which is why the debate continues unresolved.
    Your last statements are childish at best.

  10. #10
    purplekush989's Avatar
    purplekush989 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep-19-2007
    Posts
    274
    who has a bigger dick, rusty trichome or oldmac?
    "I'm rolling up a sweet,
    I'm fillin' it with kief,
    I'm too high to talk bitch,
    Keep it real brief."
    -Birdman, "Cali Dro"

  11. #11
    oldmac's Avatar
    oldmac is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-24-2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Hey Rusty;

    Try reading "Horticulture, Principlals and Practices" by George Arquaah.

    Then if you would really like to discuss it and not debate it, come talk to me.

    Otherwise, have a nice day.................

    ......'cause what would Willie do?????????

  12. #12
    oldmac's Avatar
    oldmac is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-24-2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by purplekush989 View Post
    who has a bigger dick, rusty trichome or oldmac?
    Hey purplekush989,

    If that is the criteria....I give up now.

    I've said this before but it bares repeating now, I'm an old man and I equate things to Willie Nelson...........

    one of the best "willieisms" is on his 75th birthday he announced: "It's offical, I've outlived my dick." and I'm older then Willie.

    I do think Rusty is just looking to fight for some reason, I don't know why.

    Shame he could not take a hint from StinkyAttic the other night....on Mother's day our "spiritual mother" made an appearence, and was not happy with what she saw. And basically was disappointed by all of our behavior, sort of left me with a feeling she was saying: I thought I had raised you all better then this.

    Oh well, I'm sure Rusty is a fine individual and you know we do agree on a lot of things. It's ironic that this is over 24/0 vs 18/6 when in fact I use BOTH right now. In my home grow it's 18/6 and in my parterned grow we have been using 24/0 soon to change to 20/4. And I have no problem with those who use or bring thier beliefs about the plant to the table. If someone wants to believe thier plant needs to rest for whatever amount of time they think it is, thats ok too. It's just like believing in moon phases for planting or such, if it works for you then great use it. I will not critize it. I digress.

    Hey purplekush, thanks for giving me an excuse to vent a little.
    Last edited by oldmac; May-15-2009 at 01:01.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep-27-2007
    Posts
    4,170
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmac View Post
    I do think Rusty is just looking to fight for some reason, I don't know why.

    Shame he could not take a hint from StinkyAttic the other night....on Mother's day our "spiritual mother" made an appearence, and was not happy with what she saw. And basically was disappointed by all of our behavior, sort of left me with a feeling she was saying: I thought I had raised you all better then this.
    I'm kinda surprised you bringing stinkyattic into this. What's the matter...can't back your statement, so you'll attack elsewhere?
    Stinky has other problems, and I'm quite certain she does not need you inserting words in her mouth to get her point across. Plus...I'm not here to impress her or you. I'm here to help all interested parties learn how to grow the best cannabis possible, without falling victim to old wives tales, etherial concepts, pyramid power, and factless theories. If she finds fault with my technique or insight...she'll let me know. The rest is simply personalities.

    But it's funny you arguing a point you can't prove, and then you tell me I'm the one itching to fight. If fighting for the facts is is disappointing, then I guess you'll be disappointed quite often, as I am not one to say: "ok...it's not worth fighting over"...after the fight has been ongoing. You can't have it both ways. Either you can provide proof here, or not.

    Everything in the natural world has a cause-and-effect.
    Yes, cannabis can be grown on a 24/0 schedule. But is that optimal...? I argue that no...it is not best. And what kind of peripheral stressors does this add to the pants down the line? What what does it do to the plant's disease resistance? Dorught resistance? Oxygen exchange and outgassing? How much bulk is gained or lost? Will it lengthen or shotren the intrnode spacing? How about cell repair and development? How long before the genetics change, in the plant's attempts to accomodate the effects of a 24/0 schedule? How long till the thc/cbn/cbd ratios get too fucked-up to do us any good?
    Link your proof, as I have no local library, and would love for you to point-out the docummented evidence that darkness does nothing for healthy vegetative cannabis growth. You can be the very first to provide this proof, in the history of cannabis forums.

    Also...I believe I heard you mention that the roots don't grow during the darkness...I'm assuming that by this, you mean that they do nothing during darkness. Is this the case? Anxiously awaiting your response.

  14. #14
    jlve187 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    May-01-2009
    Posts
    98

    Exclamation No Fighting!!

    Hey come on guys i didn't put this question up so that this could start agruments..Im sorry i did tho because its kind of my fault...But come on guys everyone has there own opinions ya know....I just don't want you guys arguing over something so stupid...Smoke a little and forget about it!!

  15. #15
    filo6942's Avatar
    filo6942 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-09-2009
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post

    But it's funny you arguing a point you can't prove, and then you tell me I'm the one itching to fight. If fighting for the facts is is disappointing, then I guess you'll be disappointed quite often, as I am not one to say: "ok...it's not worth fighting over"...after the fight has been ongoing. You can't have it both ways. Either you can provide proof here, or not.

    Everything in the natural world has a cause-and-effect.
    Yes, cannabis can be grown on a 24/0 schedule. But is that optimal...? I argue that no...it is not best. And what kind of peripheral stressors does this add to the pants down the line? What what does it do to the plant's disease resistance? Dorught resistance? Oxygen exchange and outgassing? How much bulk is gained or lost? Will it lengthen or shotren the intrnode spacing? How about cell repair and development? How long before the genetics change, in the plant's attempts to accomodate the effects of a 24/0 schedule? How long till the thc/cbn/cbd ratios get too fucked-up to do us any good?
    Link your proof, as I have no local library, and would love for you to point-out the docummented evidence that darkness does nothing for healthy vegetative cannabis growth. You can be the very first to provide this proof, in the history of cannabis forums.

    Also...I believe I heard you mention that the roots don't grow during the darkness...I'm assuming that by this, you mean that they do nothing during darkness. Is this the case? Anxiously awaiting your response.

    If you want to blast by the veg phase use 24-0.

    MJ is a c3 plant, it does not need darknes for veg!!! This has been proven over and over. I have grown plants side by side same strain, one with 24-0 and the other on 18-6. Guess which one grew faster and stronger?


    You may be wrong my friend.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep-27-2007
    Posts
    4,170
    Sorry if I'm not impressed with your calims, but the last time I took someones statement on face value, I became a dad. (she wasn't on the pill)

    Will lack of a dark period kill your plants? No. Is it the best treatment you can offer your ladies on their journey? In my opinion...no. And to me, it's not a technique I'd teach a newcomer unarmed to fight any potential stresses this induces in both short and long-term. I tried the technique a few times, and was unimpressed with root development and foliar growth. The plants without darkness looked runted and undernourished. Not nearly as healthy as what I usually grow, so yes...it does seem to change the plant physiology. (growth habits, the appearance of being healthy, size and structure of the leaves, internode spacing...) I offer no proof of my insight, as it is my opinion, developed after quite a few years of growing my meds. And like you, my hands are tied since there is no proof either way, that withholding darkness isn't a stressor. With the exception of nature, of course.

    Ya know...this discussion would end real quick, were you two to back your statements with supporting documentation. But I'm done dicking with this thread, as you will continue to do what you want, and I will continue to enjoy my meds. Right or wrong...you have not convinced me of anything other than the fact that the debate continues.......

  17. #17
    jlve187 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    May-01-2009
    Posts
    98

    Exclamation CHECK OUT MY NEW PICS IN MY GROW LOG!!!

    HEY GUYS FINALLY PUT A FEW PICS UP LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK AND IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS THANKS
    White Skunk/Thai Super Skunk/Purple#1Fem./LR2xAK47Fem/Pure Gold Fem
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...dwarf-fem.html

  18. #18
    Italiano715's Avatar
    Italiano715 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-25-2008
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    Sorry if I'm not impressed with your calims, but the last time I took someones statement on face value, I became a dad. (she wasn't on the pill)

    Will lack of a dark period kill your plants? No. Is it the best treatment you can offer your ladies on their journey? In my opinion...no. And to me, it's not a technique I'd teach a newcomer unarmed to fight any potential stresses this induces in both short and long-term. I tried the technique a few times, and was unimpressed with root development and foliar growth. The plants without darkness looked runted and undernourished. Not nearly as healthy as what I usually grow, so yes...it does seem to change the plant physiology. (growth habits, the appearance of being healthy, size and structure of the leaves, internode spacing...) I offer no proof of my insight, as it is my opinion, developed after quite a few years of growing my meds. And like you, my hands are tied since there is no proof either way, that withholding darkness isn't a stressor. With the exception of nature, of course.

    Ya know...this discussion would end real quick, were you two to back your statements with supporting documentation. But I'm done dicking with this thread, as you will continue to do what you want, and I will continue to enjoy my meds. Right or wrong...you have not convinced me of anything other than the fact that the debate continues.......

    Rusty knows his shit! I'd definitely agree with 24/0 not having any substantial benefits. I enjoy my 18/6 and so do my plants, so that's is what I stick with. No plants outside in nature have lighting 24 hrs a day. That right there should tell you something! Anywho, I could really care less as long as they provide me with enough meds to keep me satisfied!

    P.S. I tried to give you some +rep but it says, "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rusty Trichome again." Sorry!
    Last edited by Italiano715; May-15-2009 at 14:27.
    "Make the most of the Indian Hemp Seed and sow it every where."
    - George Washington

    "A dope fiend refers to the reefer butt as a roach, because, it resembles a cockroach." L. Ron Bumquist: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

  19. #19
    filo6942's Avatar
    filo6942 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-09-2009
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    Sorry if I'm not impressed with your calims, but the last time I took someones statement on face value, I became a dad. (she wasn't on the pill)

    Will lack of a dark period kill your plants? No. Is it the best treatment you can offer your ladies on their journey? In my opinion...no. And to me, it's not a technique I'd teach a newcomer unarmed to fight any potential stresses this induces in both short and long-term. I tried the technique a few times, and was unimpressed with root development and foliar growth. The plants without darkness looked runted and undernourished. Not nearly as healthy as what I usually grow, so yes...it does seem to change the plant physiology. (growth habits, the appearance of being healthy, size and structure of the leaves, internode spacing...) I offer no proof of my insight, as it is my opinion, developed after quite a few years of growing my meds. And like you, my hands are tied since there is no proof either way, that withholding darkness isn't a stressor. With the exception of nature, of course.

    Ya know...this discussion would end real quick, were you two to back your statements with supporting documentation. But I'm done dicking with this thread, as you will continue to do what you want, and I will continue to enjoy my meds. Right or wrong...you have not convinced me of anything other than the fact that the debate continues.......


    Ok, there are several books, even encyclopedias that explain a c3 plant grows as long as there is light for it to do so! I thought this was common knowledge, most plants on earth are c3.

    Lets not forget where most of our country gets a HUGE ammount of its fruits and veggies from. Same place where the sun and calm weather allow for long days of growth. (San Juaquin Valley, CALIFORNIA)

    If you want to grow tall, skinnier plants, then turn the lights off in veg.



    I had to turn my lights off a couple times, but only because of heat, and since I added a fan so I can run the lights 24-0!!
    Last edited by filo6942; May-15-2009 at 17:22.

  20. #20
    Italiano715's Avatar
    Italiano715 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-25-2008
    Posts
    1,287
    Same place where the sun and calm weather allow for long days of growth.
    Not to argue, but you said ^^^^ and you said long days, which suggests there is still a night period.

    Sorry, I'm reallllllllly and I couldn't help myself!
    "Make the most of the Indian Hemp Seed and sow it every where."
    - George Washington

    "A dope fiend refers to the reefer butt as a roach, because, it resembles a cockroach." L. Ron Bumquist: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

  21. #21
    headshake's Avatar
    headshake is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-12-2008
    Posts
    3,766
    that's funny becuase i've read that cannabis plants that grow under 24/0 grow anywhere from 25-33% faster. yet everyone that i have "talked" to says that that doesn't seem so accuate.

    from wikipedia:

    "Plants usually convert light into chemical energy with a photosynthetic efficiency of 3-6%. Actual plant's photosynthetic efficiency varies with the frequency of the light being converted, light intensity, temperature and proportion of CO2 in atmosphere, and can vary from 0.1% to 8%. By comparison, solar panels convert light into electric energy at a photosynthetic efficiency of approximately 6-20% for mass produced panels, and up to 41% in a research laboratory."

    so it appears that there is a lot more that goes into it than just how much light is available. if your enviromental factors, assuming we have the same light, only allow you to hit a 3% efficiency than you can hit your plants with 24/0 and it wouldn't be as good as if you had better environmental factors and ran your lights 18/6.

    you can't put shit in and get gold out.

    also from wikipedia:

    "The light-independent reactions are sometimes referred to as the dark reactions, though that term may be misleading as they do not actually require darkness to proceed. The term "light-independent" is used to emphasize that the reactions occur regardless of the amount of light present as long as the proper substrate compounds are available. Even this term can be criticized, however, as the availability of substrates in plants depends on photosynthesis, so the reactions cannot be said to be entirely "light-independent.""

    so what that says is your plants don't REQUIRE a dark period. although this term is sligthly skiewed as it implies.

    i'm not taking either side, because there is obviously more that goes into getting amazing plants than just hours of light that they receive.

    there is a lot we don't know about cannabis plants, that will contiue to unfold as support for this wonderful herb continues to grow.

    i love the passion though! you guys both rock!


    -shake
    "happy trees"

    troubleshooting form

    "some of my sweets be tight and some of my sweets be fucked up, but all of my sweets gon' blow so killa smoke gets sucked up..." -Bun B

    "But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."
    -Deceleration of Independence

  22. #22
    oldmac's Avatar
    oldmac is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-24-2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Italiano715 View Post
    No plants outside in nature have lighting 24 hrs a day. That right there should tell you something! Sorry!
    Dear Italiano715,

    IMHO I think you are wrong about this. In Alaska you will find that the sun raises during the summer and then just goes round and round; and depending on how far north you are 24 hr sunlight lasts a few days to a few weeks, before the sun sets again. If you would like to see what it does to some C3 plants, just google "Alaska giant vegtables". (it also has a profound effects on humans)
    That right there should tell you something. Sorry.

    I accept your apology.
    Last edited by oldmac; May-15-2009 at 18:00. Reason: had to add "sorry"

  23. #23
    oldmac's Avatar
    oldmac is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-24-2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Hey filo6942,

    Thank you for speaking up on this subject. I was starting to think I was stuck in a black hole of ignorance.

    Again, this is a topic that should not have to be argued about. You can find the answer in a book! I reccomended one that is great to have around, virtually every glasshouse operator I know has this book on his shelf.
    "Horticulture, Principals and Practice" by George Arquaah

    ....or so easy to prove with a simple experiment.

    I am not advocating any perticular light schedule to anyone, I happen to use BOTH at the present time! It is what works best for you, in your particular situation. BUT don't tell me or others that it is detrimental to the plant unless YOU CAN OFFER PROOF.

  24. #24
    oldmac's Avatar
    oldmac is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-24-2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Hey there jvle,

    I'm am trully sorry about "hijacking " your thread. I realized last night that this was going nowhere fast and that even tho we where on topic, I knew it was not right to hold a school yard bitchin' party on your thread.

    Sorry again.

    BTW on you autoflower project, when you transplant from the cups to a pot, go for one big enough so you don't to transplant again. Their life is so quick, you don't want them slowing at all for anything.

  25. #25
    oldmac's Avatar
    oldmac is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-24-2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Hey Shake,

    Thank's for the wiki answer. I believe when we deal with a plants cycle, "light-independent" reactions simple means "you don't need light to have it happen" and you are right that it could happen even with light present.

    But keep in mind, while the science is in on "vegative" or in horticultural terms "immature" stage, the science is still not clear about the "flowering", or "mature prepoductive" stage. There is still a lot to learn from our beloved plant.
    There has been some research that seem to suggest some flower brix conversions only take place in darkness. ( this may be the idea behind some peoples suggestion to put the plants in darkness 1 or more days before harvest.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •