Thread: New growth on female very late in flowering...seed?

therealribbit is offline Registered+

New growth on female very late in flowering...seed?

About 55 days into flowering now, the trichs are clear-cloudy, but on my main plant some new growths are scaring me. Only thing that could have stressed plant lately that i know of enough to cause a hermie was clipping a couple lower fan leaves.... idk. What do you think? Is it a seed forming?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New growth on female very late in flowering...seed?-new-growth-pic.jpg  

moody420 is offline Registered+
    In my experience, if it's a hermie you will notice the balls growing at the base of each flower.

your really close to the end, and I don't really see anything to worry about in that picture. If you are really worried that it may be turning hermie, can you post a few more pics? But from what I see, you are fine!
    Mellow mood has got me, darlin'.
    Let the music rock me, darlin'.
    'Cause I got your love, darlin'.
    Love, sweet love, darlin'.

therealribbit is offline Registered+
    I've seen true hermie balls before, and i know this is nothing like it. But it's not really like any growth i've noticed before on my females... possibly i wasn't paying attention when it was all new growth.

I am more concerned that my previous hermie (first page of my post Please comment on my first grow...Romulan) had blown some of it's pollen on this one.

Idk.. they looked ballsy to me.

*Edit - crap i thought i had my original hermie pics on there... not sure where that post went... here is my original hermie pic just cause i brought it up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New growth on female very late in flowering...seed?-hermie-1.jpg  
    Last edited by therealribbit; Apr-24-2010 at 01:55.

evilcloudst is offline Registered+
    that is an example of a plant flowing too long, these little banana shapes come out of the buds (im pretty sure it has pollen in it) and will eventually produce seeds (though, they would probably be fem seeds)

My last harvested plant had it. However, that looks very new. I would consider harvesting it, as I have read that potency diminishes after the peak harvest time.

Edit: that is a beautiful picture btw, the first one. Looks excellent.
    Last edited by evilcloudst; Apr-24-2010 at 04:54.

WashougalWonder is offline Registered+
    As stated before, harvest.

What you are seeing, I was educated to call "Intersexual." This is not a true hermie, instead a female doing anything it can to perpetuate the species.

Because they are in the tops buried in the flowers, it is very, very easy to miss them.
    Natural Spider Mite Control
    Trouble shooting form

Thank you Lord for this green thumb, I so love to grow your gift of cannabis.

Vancefish is offline Registered+
    That is a nanner cluster.

My LST has been pumping out the occasional nanner here and there. Every time I pluck them out a new cluster forms in that same flower. So I started plucking out that entire flower.

BTW, if you pop a nanner it will have pollen in it. However while still green it seems to not. I popped a couple here and there a week ago. Looks like each one popped, pollinated the flower I pulled it from.

It's not a seed. To me, it looks like either a nanner forming, or the top of the branch (branch tip) poking through the bud. If it's the branch tip peeking out, it will be like the end of a toothpick sticking out of a cotton ball. (texture-wise) If it's a nanner forming, it's like a cotton ball sticking out of a cotton ball. My guess is that it's a nanner.
    Quote Originally Posted by moody420 View Post
    In my experience, if it's a hermie you will notice the balls growing at the base of each flower.
    Sorry, but that's not always the case. Nanners can grow in, on and under the buds.
    If overly concerned, surgically remove the offending nanner. (needle-nose pliers, tweezers...) Unless she's chock-full of nanners, I'd pluck what you can find, and let her finish. If it's the only nanner you can find, and the pollen isn't innert...you'll have some femmed seeds of dubious quality and stability. They might be ok femmed seeds, but you'll have to watch the offspring like a hawk for more nanners.

Stressing a stress-prone strain can result in less stable genes which are prone to hermie with minimal stress. Breeders stress a stable line to produce femmed seeds, and usually they don't carry the weakness to the offspring. Never fem a femmed female if you can at all help it.

TMI, but perhaps someone can use the 'bonus' info.
    Last edited by Rusty Trichome; Apr-24-2010 at 08:08.