Cannabis.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Molasses is Sweet Organic Goodness

texas grass is offline Registered+
    you can give molasses up til harvest
    just tryin to live the good life with my friend and wife now its time to and stay and be a
    http://boards.cannabis.com/basic-gro...-dankness.html
    complete guide to mothers clones and trimming roots http://www.cannabase.com/cl/index.html
    these last 2 links have most grow books to read http://greenmanspage.com/guides/ growmoreweed.com

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

NaughtyDreadz is offline Registered+
    uh.. wouldn't you still taste the N????

texas grass is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyDreadz View Post
    uh.. wouldn't you still taste the N????
    there really isnt a N rating, its packed full of sugars and a good carbon source. not nitrates like in chemical ferts
    just tryin to live the good life with my friend and wife now its time to and stay and be a
    http://boards.cannabis.com/basic-gro...-dankness.html
    complete guide to mothers clones and trimming roots http://www.cannabase.com/cl/index.html
    these last 2 links have most grow books to read http://greenmanspage.com/guides/ growmoreweed.com

NaughtyDreadz is offline Registered+
    ah!!!!! bach.....

Raftastic is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by texas grass View Post
    you can give molasses up til harvest
    At what stage should you introduce Molasses ?

I got Lyles Black Treacle,i think it's the same as your BSM it's only 37p for 454g & it makes wonderfull Bonfire Toffee

GreenLeaf420 is offline Banned
    Hell yeah when you read the back of SWEET. It has mollases and says it helps during the trasnition Phase as well as Flower...

Good Thread

Revanche21 is offline Registered+

Aspire420 is offline Registered+

Red face

I got a gallon of horticultural molasses for 9.50 USD with tax. It smells oddly sweet and is the color of rich composted soil. I have a feeling it is great for fortification and microbes. For the price I am satisfied. I guess the kelp tea and the molasses should work partially as a catalyst....I feel like I am missing something in that equation though.

I also read that too high of a temperature for brewing molasses kills the essentail organsims. Something like over 85 degrees and it needs to breathe. I figure it is better to buy the pre-mix until I get good at the tea.

I do not use a bubbler for tea brew for now. I got a pitcher at a dollar store and I cup scoop the dry mix into a woman's knee high stocking. I tie a knot and place it in the covered vented pitcher. The tea bag looks like a soft tube. I poor hot water onto it and usually adds up to 32 ounces and makes a bad ass tea. I got a spoon to mix and in about 12 hours it is completely brewed. The bag can be used again but for less water - that's for kelp but pretty sure it works for smaller grains too.

konvikt419 is offline Registered+
    there are some ery interesting things pointed out on here i am planning o put ino practice so any more info would be great

veggii is offline Registered+
    so this should've had a sticky awhile back when it was first posted whats the holdup? definately a first class article

and I saw a mention of table sugar but thats all I saw anyone got more info on using table sugar? 1tsp to a gal?

texasgrass nice article but I noticed it was kinda compressed together instead of having the chapters separated like the original articile (for future reference) makes reading the post 95% easier having the space inbetween as one gets lost in the huge chapter.
    "help I'm stuck in there can't find my way out" lol
    California State Law prop 215 Compassionate Use Act of 1996

Federal Law for the Masses

California Co-Ops

California Delivery Services

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6630507/fulltext.html

Controlled_Substances_Act
    Quote Originally Posted by BillofRights;
    Amendment X
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

veggii is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by PamStoner View Post
    The one thing I don't think I saw mentioned is that if there are not enough micro-organisms present, then the plant will end up with root rot. This happened to me while growing in bubble jugs, and I lost 5 large girls in the last weeks of flower.
    I don't think I want to risk that again. I'll stick with raw cane sugar, if I use anything at all.
    It would be very nice if more growers could chime in on problems&fixes from using molasses, as this person appears too be the only person thats ever had a problem using molasses,and i believe alot more growers have had problems with molasses that way us noobi's can fix things if we run into problems with molasses as this thread highly recommends, alot will try too use it.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    I would use plain white sugar then as I know nothing about the others, and honey does have some odd properties...
    Anyway sugars are just a supplement... they can wait a few days
    can you please give more info on plain white sugar table sugar , how much to use 1 teaspoon per gallon? what kind of problems can you run into?

also texasgrass I wrote in my above about the article chapters compressed together makes hard too read I wrote the wrong word I meant paragraph's
    I couldn't remember the word last nite paragraph's paragraph's paragraph's lol man my memory is jacked up .
    California State Law prop 215 Compassionate Use Act of 1996

Federal Law for the Masses

California Co-Ops

California Delivery Services

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6630507/fulltext.html

Controlled_Substances_Act
    Quote Originally Posted by BillofRights;
    Amendment X
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

I don't think honey would be a suitable substitute for molasses ... honey is nature's 'antibiotic', it could kill beneficial organisms in the solution/soil, I would think ...

ToPHeR31 is offline Registered+
    Ok Since My plant doesnt take 1 gal of water everytime...about how much molasses should I give it? I know you should start with like 1 teaspoon per gallon then work up to 1 tablespoon and so on...but If Im only watering my plant with about 250mL every other day how much molasses should i add?

lunarose is offline Registered+

fluid69 is offline Registered+
    this thread answered all my molasses ?'s. thanks for such an informative essay.

Any chance of getting this thread stickied in the Indoor or Basic Growing forum, or both? Seems a shame to keep it tucked away in the Outdoor/Organic growing forum.

I just came across some interesting info, and I think it's rather important...
    Never really thought there would be a major difference in products, so I usually get what's on sale. Anyway, I have a couple botles of the stuff around...and was comparing the labels.

All are made by the same company, which is B&G Foods. All 3 are unsulphered. Numbers listed are from the labels, and are for 1 Tablespoon. (not that that matters, it's a percentage)

Bottle 1 is an old bottle with less than one application left in it. It's Brer Rabbit Full Flavor, and the label says:
    Calcium - 10%
    Magnesium - 20%
    Iron - 15%

Bottle 2 is one I'm just finishing, is Grandma's Original, and the labes says:
    Calcium - 4%
    Magnesium - 2%
    Iron - 4%

Bottle 3 was purchased last week, and is Brer Rabbit Full Flavor (same product as before) and it's label says:
    Calcium - 8%
    Magnesium - 8%
    Iron - 2%

I'm guessing it's something to be addressed when dosing your plants, or cracking open a fresh bottle. That's a pretty wide spread. Makes a lot of sense too, with all the different ratio's I've seen thrown around the past couple of years.

The Grandma's page on their site tells of nutritients in the molasses (copper, manganeese, iron, magnesium, potassium, and that it's made from cane sugar. The Brer rabbit page says nothing about nutrition, lists no 'Nutritional Facts' (like on the labels) but does mention to check label for nutrition info. (big dark secret about ingredients, lol)
    Grandma's Molasses
    Brer Rabbit Molasses

So when you use molasses, pay attention to the labels for concentration (percentages) of the nutrients. These are the two I've been using, (from Walmart) and thought performance or lack thereof was a strain tollerance issue. Perhaps not. Might be a ratio thing.

Perhaps it's the use of plants other than cane sugar that Brer Rabbit is using, and the quality (variability) of the manufacturing process. But jeepers...I just can't see a major manufacturer saying..."It's only off 20%...that's close enough".

dukesdad is offline Registered
    I started flowering my girls 3 weeks ago.
    I usually water every other day.
    First day is Dutch Nutrient Formula, mixed full strength.
    2 days later, a bit of molasses in water.
    2 more days, straight water.
    Then back to the DNF.
    Everything seems good so far.
    Anybody have any suggestions, good or bad?

DzEe206 is offline Registered
    any1 got any experience using molasses during vegging, from what I understand it's a good source of nitrogen that won't burn your plant. I just wanna know if any1 has had done this before.

Seriously...? If interested in doing your own homework...Google 'unsulphured molasses' and check for yourself.

If not, then the short answer is no, you can not use molasses as a stand-alone nutrient. It has boatloads of micro's, carbon, carbs, calcium, magnesium and iron...but is lacking in nitrogen. I give my plants a 1 tsp per gallon shot, once a month in veg. (basically once during the growth phase)

DzEe206 is offline Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    Seriously...? If interested in doing your own homework...Google 'unsulphured molasses' and check for yourself. I have just havnt came across much info on it being used during vegging so I figured I ask, doesn't hurt to try rite?

If not, then the short answer is no, you can not use molasses as a stand-alone nutrient. It has boatloads of micro's, carbon, carbs, calcium, magnesium and iron...but is lacking in nitrogen. I give my plants a 1 tsp per gallon shot, once a month in veg. (basically once during the growth phase)
    thanks for the info rusty I must be lucky cause I've read some threads on cancom and you be getting on peoples asses when they ask stupid questions haha can't blame you for it tho but ima throw caution into the wind on this one and use it on one of my plants thats still in vegging.

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+
    first pic is 8 weeks flowering...second pic is week #11: water & molasses only.....( the final 3 weeks)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Molasses is Sweet Organic Goodness-week-8-001.jpg   Molasses is Sweet Organic Goodness-jungle-001.jpg  
    Last edited by Dutch Pimp; Feb-14-2011 at 22:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Pimp View Post
    first pic is 8 weeks flowering...second pic is week #11: water & molasses only.....( the final 3 weeks)
    As an additive it works great. Replaces calmag during flowering, and replaces bulking agents near harvest. But as a stand-alone nutrient...insufficient.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    As an additive it works great. Replaces calmag during flowering, and replaces bulking agents near harvest. But as a stand-alone nutrient...insufficient.
    I agree. I underfeed during most of the grow. Sometimes too much, underfeeding. I was thinking the yield on this crop was going to be very poor, because I used 2 gallon pots and didn't do a third transplant; because of space limitations & lazy.

I feel like the molasses saved my ass, this time....
    Last edited by Dutch Pimp; Feb-15-2011 at 10:44.

Smile

Valentine Day harvest...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Molasses is Sweet Organic Goodness-chop-chop-001.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast