Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nufc
  • 2 Post By PhatJay

Thread: First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower

nufc is offline Registered

First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower

This is my first grow im 6 weeks into flowering. seed is a bagseed i planted it on the 20th october 11, i thinks its a sativa dominant, i started flowering 17th december its nearly taller than me. Im counting from when i put the lights on 12/12 because she got pre-flowers iv veg and by the time i started flowering there was little pistils all over. Im using cfls 1 125w 1 45w 2700k & 1 45w 6400k. For nutes iv got some PK 13-14 and some bloom nutes (the NPK is 2-10-5), im getting some molasses tomorrow aswel. Hears some pics from yesterday, hows she looking? Any comments welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02057.jpg   First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02056.jpg   First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02058.jpg  

First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02059.jpg   First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02061.jpg  
    KnowledgeIsPower likes this.

Some more..
    First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02066.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02064.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02067.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02068.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02069.jpg

First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02062.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02063.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02064.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02079.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02080.jpg

PhatJay is offline Registered+
    If the plant is nearly as tall as you (unless you are a dwarf) it is about 3 - 4 ft too high, for your lighting. I used to grow with CFLs (2x250w) and kept 4 plants between 1 and 2.5ft high. At 2.5ft I got 8oz off four plants, but the plants had lots of popcorn buds and were a nightmare to harvest. At 1-1.5ft I got 6oz off four plants, but the buds were better quality, with zero popcorn and the plants were easy to harvest (20-25 mins a plant).

Do some LST on your next grow and keep the plants smaller. You will get better results. Also look into topping / fimming, both these techniques really help when growing under CFLs.

One thing you could do now to help, is bend that main cola to one side so that it is parallel with the bulb above it. Check out my 1st 2 grow logs to see how I used to position my lights (I was using 2x125w at the time those logs were made).

edit: One more thing. Go easy on the food when using CFLs especially the PK13/14, because you have low light levels the plants consume less food and they do not need the same feed strengths as plants grown under 1000w HPS lights. Adding normal amounts of PK will just turn your stalks red and be bad for your health (I found I only need 1/3 dose of PK and 3/4 strength everything else).
    Last edited by PhatJay; Jan-29-2012 at 09:58.
    pushit and KnowledgeIsPower like this.
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...og-w-pics.html - 1st grow, in coco with CFL's (Finished)
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...co-w-pics.html - 2nd grow, in coco with CFL's (Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by PhatJay View Post
    If the plant is nearly as tall as you (unless you are a dwarf) it is about 3 - 4 ft too high, for your lighting. I used to grow with CFLs (2x250w) and kept 4 plants between 1 and 2.5ft high. At 2.5ft I got 8oz off four plants, but the plants had lots of popcorn buds and were a nightmare to harvest. At 1-1.5ft I got 6oz off four plants, but the buds were better quality, with zero popcorn and the plants were easy to harvest (20-25 mins a plant).

Do some LST on your next grow and keep the plants smaller. You will get better results. Also look into topping / fimming, both these techniques really help when growing under CFLs.

One thing you could do now to help, is bend that main cola to one side so that it is parallel with the bulb above it. Check out my 1st 2 grow logs to see how I used to position my lights (I was using 2x125w at the time those logs were made).

edit: One more thing. Go easy on the food when using CFLs especially the PK13/14, because you have low light levels the plants consume less food and they do not need the same feed strengths as plants grown under 1000w HPS lights. Adding normal amounts of PK will just turn your stalks red and be bad for your health (I found I only need 1/3 dose of PK and 3/4 strength everything else).
    yeah i wil be doing some topping or lst next time. i really shoudnt of let it get that big (its about 5ft-7"). i was just experementing to see how growing works. i didnt think it would grow so tall so fast, and i wasnt expecting a sativa. iv got a hps bulb for next time just need to get the reflector and ballast. i will be using 1/4 does of the pk i used it the other day and everything was fine, i was wondering if i should bend that top bit down but i got told it would jsut shok it and will slow it down by weeks if not hermie. so i think im just going to leave it and get more cfls. i will be happy with any smoke i get because its just my first grow, things will be diffrent next time im not going to grow a plant this tall with cfls again haha cheers for the help
    Last edited by nufc; Jan-29-2012 at 10:26.

Minnesnowta is offline Registered+
    When you're talking about your CFLs.. is that the actual wattage of CFL you're using or is it, for example, 23W CFL that = 100W Incandescent? Just curious I've seen some CFL grows lately and it actually looks like some people are able to have some success using CFLs all the way through harvest. Make sure ya keep posting pics through your harvest, I'd like to see updates on this.

killfrenzi is offline Registered+
    Ya, its a lil tall for CFL's. You have the right idea on side lighting.. keep as much light on those lower nodes as possible. Your yield will be ok as long as you get A LOT of light on those bud sites. Next grow... If you continue to use CFL's, definantly LST, try not to top them, stress levels of the plant go up as well as yield goes up. If possible and you have faith... I purchased from ebay, a 600w electronic ballast and batwing hood, came with 2 free yo-yo hangers, and a free timer for $110 after taxes. If you do use eBay, use the "Filter" and go with the Top-Rated Sellers. I have used eBay numerous times and never been let down.

If you have any questions, just keep posting in this thread and Ill help as much as I can.

Keep us up to date!

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesnowta View Post
    When you're talking about your CFLs.. is that the actual wattage of CFL you're using or is it, for example, 23W CFL that = 100W Incandescent? Just curious I've seen some CFL grows lately and it actually looks like some people are able to have some success using CFLs all the way through harvest. Make sure ya keep posting pics through your harvest, I'd like to see updates on this.
    Yeah I'm talking about the actual wattage, I will keep updating with pics ect. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by killfrenzi View Post
    Ya, its a lil tall for CFL's. You have the right idea on side lighting.. keep as much light on those lower nodes as possible. Your yield will be ok as long as you get A LOT of light on those bud sites. Next grow... If you continue to use CFL's, definantly LST, try not to top them, stress levels of the plant go up as well as yield goes up. If possible and you have faith... I purchased from ebay, a 600w electronic ballast and batwing hood, came with 2 free yo-yo hangers, and a free timer for $110 after taxes. If you do use eBay, use the "Filter" and go with the Top-Rated Sellers. I have used eBay numerous times and never been let down.

If you have any questions, just keep posting in this thread and Ill help as much as I can.

Keep us up to date!
    Thanks, yeah I got al my cfls on ebay, I can't find a shop over hear that sells cfls so ebays my only option lol. I will keep posting cheers

some more pics. day 46 not much change
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02096.jpg   First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02097.jpg   First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02098.jpg  

First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02100.jpg   First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02095.jpg  

Considering that at 6 weeks that thing is potentially only half done flowering, and its being flowered uner CFLs... I'm pretty impressed I must say. I've never looked much into CFLs for flowering but I was thinking of adding a few for supplemental lighting, either that or I was going to get 4 - 4' Flourescent tube fixtures and mount them vertically on each wall to see if that adds anything significant.

Any pic updates? Come back.. haha I have a similar bagseed sativa that I haven't really cared much for but I probably would if yours was ultimately successful. I've just had too many other things going on with guaranteed genetics its hard to dedicate time to her.

Yeah I'm still hear lol ill put some pics on tomorrow when the lights come back on

Deal. I can accept that. haha. My poor sativa went into flower and back into veg before actually going into full on flower... wasn't prepared for it and I was in the middle of a transition to new grow rooms.

First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02268.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02269.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02270.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02272.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02273.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesnowta View Post
    Deal. I can accept that. haha. My poor sativa went into flower and back into veg before actually going into full on flower... wasn't prepared for it and I was in the middle of a transition to new grow rooms.
    oh so is it flowering now? i had a cupple light leaks at the begining so that could of slowed things down.. have u got any pics of your sativa..mines on day 60 now i was thinking of flushing in about a week or so

First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02286.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02287.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02289.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02290.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02291.jpg

Gatekeeper777 is offline Registered+
    Very nice. Next time If I were you I would top it then lollypop it at about 18". and put those CFL's about 6" above her canopy.
    I do not condone the illegal use of any substance. I do not grow marijuana however the posts I place here are for informational purposes only nothing more nothing less.

I agree with gatekeeper on lollipopping if you plan to continue that strain but its looking great for being a big sativa under CFLs. Trimming will be a long process it looks like but all that aside you're gonna have some good smoke, which is the only real important part. Plus lots of trimming means... lots of trimmings for making hash or whatever you wanna do with it. Have you considered getting any HPS lights for next time or what are your plans? Is this your only plant at the moment? I've actually got an extra small HPS I've been looking to get rid of for cheap. As far as the flushing thing goes I'd maybe wait a little bit longer before you start that but I guess you know best by looking at the trichs and what not. Sativas can take a long time to fully mature, and unlike indicas you've got a much larger window of time to harvest at the right point. Also if you had some light leaking in combination with the fact that its flowering under CFLs probably slowed it down making it take even longer to finish fully. If you plan to do two weeks of flushing I'd give it at least another week before you start, putting you right at around 11 weeks. Its up to your personal preferences though, no matter what you do you'll be happy with what you get.

As far as my sativa goes, I don't have much for good pictures right now, and since it went to flower for a real short period of time, then back to veg, and now has actually been in my real flower room flowering for about 1.5-2 weeks. Its flowering under 550W HPS, 1 400W and 1 150W. I just put it through some pretty heavy pruning as well. So with all the stress it has been under I doubt it will end up being anything real great, but its my first and only sativa so I am going to continue to grow it out unless I end up needing the space then I'll have to get rid of it. Unless of course it is showing promising signs by then. Anyways I will get some pics of it here soon and post them, and ill try to continue posting updates on it so you can compare it to yours. I'm sure yours will be much better than mine, regardless of the fact that mine is under stronger lighting. Good work man, I'd like to see more updates as you go. I am going to post some pics of a small ATF plant that I recently harvested. It dried for 6 days and cured for 2 more weeks, I still have yet to test smoking it so I am pretty excited because it turned out great, I'll be trying it out tonight. I didn't want to test it before it was really ready for human trials so I don't make any premature assumptions about it. The smell is so sweet, its like candy.

Actually I just looked at another pic of the top of your plant and it looks like the light leaks may have caused a little bit of extra confusion with her. Not a big deal but your top looks a little bit more stretched out than it normally should be. I just noticed it because thats basically what my sativa will be like all over the place haha.

Yeah this is the only plat i grew. i just planted 1 seed and got 1 female plant, ive got a 250w hps bulb but just the bub. Its week 10 today and ive been flushing for about a week now with water and molasses, i was thinking of givein her one more big flush then put in dark for 2-3 days. does it look okay to do that?
    I got a 60X scope and all the trichs look to be cloudy with the odd abmer/yellow one. Hears some pics does she look ready for harvest? after a 3 day dark period thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02387.jpg   First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02388.jpg   First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02389.jpg  

First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02390.jpg   First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02391.jpg  

some more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02405.jpg   First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02404.jpg   First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02406.jpg  

First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02408.jpg   First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02410.jpg  

First grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02408.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02410.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02412.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02413.jpgFirst grow cfl bagseed sativa week 6 flower-dsc02420.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02420.JPG 
Views:	676 
Size:	693.0 KB 
ID:	282923

Just going off what I can see in your pictures I'd say you're ready to harvest if you want. You could leave it longer though, its all up to you and your personal preference. Unlike most people who are very eager to harvest their plants... I tend to hesitate on harvesting.. unless you see my other post from yesterday about my first big harvest of my new flower room... I harvested that one a little early =P.

You're probably right in the middle of the road here if we're talking about the window of time you have to get a successful harvest. Whats the deal with the popsicle pictures at the way bottom? haha that looks interesting.

By the way I know you asked for pictures of my sativa, and thats the one I just chopped down so there will be no more pics of that beyond the ones in my other post haha, poor girl.