Thread: Soil for grow

Bigsexy85 is offline Registered+

Soil for grow

Ok got my space figured out. Got my lighting planned out and ordered my seeds

Now i need some help with my soil. Id like to keep it simple if i can. Is there an off the shelf soil i can get at say lowes or home depot and i read somewhere that tomato plant nutritients work good

Shovelhandle is offline Registered+
    I see that 40# bags of two different potting soils by Dr. Earth are available at the local farm co-op store. It's good product. Buy local, the big boxes don't need the money.

I found alot info bout fox farms ocean forest. What bout using that with a 25% additon of prealite

my $.02
    why dilute the soil? if you want you can grow hydroponically in 100% perlite,

Well i had read alot bout it being needed for draining and it can be alittle hot

Yut, I heard that it can be hot for seedlings and young plants but it should be ok once you transplant into the final container. I don't know how much perlite FF uses in their OF. I don't use any soil mixture, I use promix HP = (75% peat moss, 25% perlite, inoculant, dolomite lime) To this I'll add 25% compost and a bunch of other active nutrients.
    I would think that FFOF should be loose enough but if you don't think so extra perlite shouldn't hurt anything.
    Last edited by Shovelhandle; Sep-03-2013 at 21:41.

lipps is offline Registered+
    Feel it and smell it that will tell you if it's alive and has enough air in it, lightly squeeze it if it feels soggy or like clay not good it should be spongy and smell earthy not moldy. A good balanced organic fertilized for grow and flower would get you thru a first grow no problems but playing with supper hot ferts can ruin your day big time. What shovel say and some worm castings for tea and kelp to liven it up. Water is the most important part you will need the right ph around 6 then be very careful not to over/under water, young plants don't need lots of water but they need air because that air space is where the roots grow( the air is what makes the soil feel spongy). Good luck.