Thread: How long until seeds pop up from soil?

taylor324 is offline Registered

How long until seeds pop up from soil?

I planted a germinated seed about a cm deep in some soil (in a pot) yesterday. I added a little water and also put a fluro light about 4 inches away. Am I doing this right? When should I expect the seedling to sprout? And when can I switch to MH?

ustasa is offline Registered
    Did you germinate the seeds first? I find it's much harder to just plant the seed in soil, add some water and light and hope it flowers.

Take 6 sheets of kitchen paper towels, place the seeds in the middle. Pour some water over the seeds, enough to keep the area that the seeds are sitting in very moist. Fold the paper over itself so the seeds are sitting in the middle, and pour some more water overtop. Throw that in your drawer, stash box, etc... w/e. Presto, 3-5 days later you'll see some seeds have opened and others even have small roots comming out of the opening. Plant those in the soil, with the root facing the bottom of the planter.

Cheers.

yeah, i germinated. but was wondering the next steps in terms of lighting and watering

LIP
    LIP is offline Banned
    Right, if the soil is moist, it should only take 2 days tops to pop up. When the seed shell fall off, exposing the cotyledons, you can put the flous on the plant, fairly close, but not touching.

Once the plant has its 3rd set of leaves, you can put it under the MH

Only water when the top inch or 2 is dry, dont do it more than this, it might look like it needs it on top, but it doesnt because it will be very nicely damp in the bottom.

thank you, LIP!

busteruk7 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by LIP
    Right, if the soil is moist, it should only take 2 days tops to pop up. When the seed shell fall off, exposing the cotyledons, you can put the flous on the plant, fairly close, but not touching.

Once the plant has its 3rd set of leaves, you can put it under the MH

Only water when the top inch or 2 is dry, dont do it more than this, it might look like it needs it on top, but it doesnt because it will be very nicely damp in the bottom.
    i second all that
    the only thing is some seeds acn differ in times they sprout
    cheers
    growing in my house attic with a 200w envirolite and a 600w hps( out of site out of mind)
    my white rhino log-----------------my lowryder log-----------------my cali orange grow
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time.

mountainman is offline Registered+
    I've had seeds pop above the soil in a day, while some take 3-4. It just depends on how good the genetics are and how developed that seed is.

lip whats better a hps or mh? i have a 600w hps on its way for veg

junkboxer is offline Registered+
    when you transplanted the seed from your germination method into soil did you use clean materials. ive had some times when the seed got some bacteria on it and kind of rotted and never sprouted up.

also which way did you place the seed? its so important that the root tip is pointing down when placed in. also i prefer even less then a cm deep....id do like 3/4 to half of a cm. also did your soil ever dry out? never ever let it dry.

a good way to ensure constant moisture is to put your seedling in a small pot with a few holes on the bottom...then put that pot in a little dish with about a cm high of water in it...the soil will always be nice and moist.

o yea and heat. heats definetally speeds up the germ/sprouting proccesses. put a heating pad under your pots 24/7. if its to cold they will take a while to come up.

MrGuy is offline Registered+
    I generally would put mine under a hood to keep the moisture in, just like w/ clones...
    Peace
    Love
    Understanding
    Respect.

junkboxer is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGuy
    I generally would put mine under a hood to keep the moisture in, just like w/ clones...
    beware of mold! for some reason the only reoccuring problem i cant slove with growing ganj is mold when doing mini greenhouse germination methods. after tryin different things the most effective method was what i mentioned above with the pot submerged into about a cm to an inch of water

bluntman3000 is offline Registered+
    yo I dont understand why people say put the root tip down, it shoudl be up^^^^ dammit up a and slightly on an angle but still up

repherz is offline Registered+

Talking rofl

Quote Originally Posted by bluntman3000
    yo I dont understand why people say put the root tip down, it shoudl be up^^^^ dammit up a and slightly on an angle but still up

yo this is a REALLY old post, gave me a good chuckle tho
    Confucious say: Man who stand on toilet high on pot...