Cannabis.com

Thread: Best way to start seeds off?

KL4D4 is offline Registered+

Best way to start seeds off?

I've been told too many ways to go about this.

Which way do most people go about this? EIther put them in the paper towel, wet it and fold the top over put them in a plastic bag, seal it and place in a sunny window, or The same setup only in the dark with heat

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

OmegaVermelho is offline Registered+
    Good question KL4D4, ive tried the first method and it worked fine, im trying the second method now but insted of using a plastic bag im using a tupperware box...

1st were Grapefruit 10 seeds - all germinated 8 of them were females

2nd Haze 19 x Skunk 10 seeds - i only have 4 in the tupperware box ill let u know in a day or two the outcome
    Hydro and Soil Water ph Range - http://boards.cannabis.com/attachmen...0&d=1121829312
    Trichome - http://boards.cannabis.com/attachmen...2&d=1143903322
    Light Colour Temperature Chart - http://www.mediacollege.com/lighting...mperature.html
    Plant Abuse Chart and Photos - http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/97.htm

When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself.

hempsmoker25 is offline Registered+
    i just put mine in a paper towel, wet it, and stick it in a dark place wrapped up in a towel to keep it waarm.

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    I put mine in a small glass vial with a few drops of SensiSoak, then lay the vial on its side so the seeds are wet but not covered. I keep it in dim light and 75-80 degrees until they pop.

The jury is still out on whether SensiSoak gives all females. I was using plain water until a few weeks ago. The germination rate is still very good though.

Garden Knowm is offline Registered+
    I plant all seeds directly into soaked rockwool cubes... including, sun flower seed, Redwood trees, tomato plants, watermelon etc....

iloveyou
    GARDEN KNOWM

10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 -5 - 4...

iStayblunted is offline Registered
    how many days do you keep it in the paper towel?

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Knowm
    I plant all seeds directly into soaked rockwool cubes... including, sun flower seed, Redwood trees, tomato plants, watermelon etc....

iloveyou

Ha ha! I'd love to see a redwood tree growing in hydro. Like, a swimming pool for a reservoir!

KL4D4 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by iStayblunted
    Well I'm pretty sure the awnser to that is when they sprout to the point when you can then plant them.

I made this topic last night I randomly had a beaner in a bag, and I hadn't looked at until about 5 mins ago and I saw it turned into a little sperm I was about to try it in the sunlight because I wasn't too sure about the darkness one, I put distilled water after I went out today after it stormed all day and collected rain water.
    I'm excited because this will be the first plant I'll be trying to grow myself, I just hope it dosen't turn out to be male, but if it does I'll have my foot in the door at least.

iStayblunted is offline Registered

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by KL4D4
    Well I'm pretty sure the awnser to that is when they sprout to the point when you can then plant them.

I made this topic last night I randomly had a beaner in a bag, I put distilled water after I went out today after it stormed all day and collected rain water.
    I'm excited because this will be the first plant I'll be trying to grow myself, I just hope it dosen't turn out to be male, but if it does I'll have my foot in the door at least.
    thank you
    &
    yea for out door growers around here good luck because the weather sucks. and good luck with your plant

krustythfreakinclown is offline Registered+
    I use peat pellets which you can get at any gardening store, for 12 cents apiece. If you go this route, make sure you get enough to carry you through winter as well, since gardening stores won't have them for sale when the growing season ends.

In using peat pellets, you wet them, the expand, you sow the seed and put the peat pellet in a sealed container to maintain humidity in a dark place.

When the seed sprouts, put it under light to get it growing.

This process takes 1-5 days before you see a seedling sprout.

Good luck!

OmegaVermelho is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by iStayblunted

I put mines on a destiled water soked papper towel inside a Tupperware box on friday 2pm, and they sprouted sunday at 5pm. They are now living at a new home
    Hydro and Soil Water ph Range - http://boards.cannabis.com/attachmen...0&d=1121829312
    Trichome - http://boards.cannabis.com/attachmen...2&d=1143903322
    Light Colour Temperature Chart - http://www.mediacollege.com/lighting...mperature.html
    Plant Abuse Chart and Photos - http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/97.htm

When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself.

Opie Yutts is offline Registered+
    Keep them warm and moist and dark. It doesn't matter how. I find 5 or so layers of paper towels on top and bottom very convenient.
    PLEASE STOP BY MY FOGGING THREAD
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

Garden Knowm is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic
    Ha ha! I'd love to see a redwood tree growing in hydro. Like, a swimming pool for a reservoir!

LOL

well, I actually just start the seeds in rockwool and then transfer to soil... after about 60 days.. the seeds take about 20+ days just to germinate..

BUT... I have grown watermelon, cucumber, tomato and much more hydro..

IN the next couple months I think I will try a banana tree.. I have seen a handful of very succesful hydro banana trees.

NOW is LOVE
    GARDEN KNOWM

10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 -5 - 4...

[QUOTE=krustythfreakinclown]I use peat pellets which you can get at any gardening store, for 12 cents apiece. If you go this route, make sure you get enough to carry you through winter as well, since gardening stores won't have them for sale when the growing season ends.
    /[QUOTE]

Yeah, no crap. Can I tell you how irritating that is?
    And I DO NOT recommend the ones that come in the prepackaged kits that you get at Wal MArt. They look like sawdust and I haven't had great results with them compared to the real ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Knowm
    LOL

BUT... I have grown watermelon, cucumber, tomato and much more hydro..

NOW is LOVE
    If you have pics of hydro vine plants, could you post? I'm curious to see how you support them, if at all.

Opie Yutts is offline Registered+
    I want to try growing some weird stuff in hydro. Hey, I really like mango. Has anyone heard of this happening?
    PLEASE STOP BY MY FOGGING THREAD
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

deftdrummer is offline Registered+
    I use the bowl and paper towel method. You take 1 paper towel (little or no print or dye) and fold it in half. Put your seeds near where the crease is and then lay it on a regular plate. Then using pure water ie: bottled or filtered & boiled water you barely moisten the paper towel. The paper towel should be damp enough to be damp but moist enough to drip if you squeezed it into a wad. Finally, take a third paper towel moisten it also and place over the folded paper towel. This layer is to keep moisture in and keep good supply of water to the lower towel. Finally take a bowl and place it upside down over the paper towels to keep light out. Place in a warm area such as a window sill or in a 70F room and you will see sprouts in less than 2 days.
    "sell crazy some place else, cause we're all stocked up here". - Jack Nicholson As Good As It Gets

If what I have posted on these forums has in any way helped you, please feel free to tip the scales (upper right corner) and add to my rep. Thanks!

Check out my DWC grow: http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ml#post1442753

phytokind is offline Registered+
    A soil of 50% perlite, 50% peat worked well for me, just stick them in there and wait a few days.

Wow, this is an old thread that just got bumped...

I have to change my previous comments; namely, that SensaSoak has turned out to be utter garbage, and the peat pellets have that shitty wrapping on them that stunts growth, plus they hold way too much water.

It's all about nice, light soil.

Abattoir Dream is offline Registered+
    i just put them in half inch of wet soil, cover with cling film and put on a heatmat, easy as 123, or abc, depending on how well you can read and count
    I'm THE Abattoir, abnormal abnormalities
    I have fantasies, while i blab formalities
    and stab happy families in the back with fat calories,
    I'm broke still lookin for contracts and salaries..
    I can, stick to this, ill be doin this forever,
    I tell a fella never to fuck when im under weather
    I severe an acapella, punch holes in a portrait
    preserve words of gold in pottasium sorbate...

NeuroGheist is offline Registered
    I germ em in a wet paper towel, inside of a ziplock bag, ontop of my motherboard (for warmth), with a black shirt over the bag (for darkness), for about 3 days. Not turning my computer off during this entire germination period.

By then, they're popped and the taproot is out enough.

I then rather plant them directly in a medium of 50/50 perlite and peat moss, or into peat pellets, for about 2-3 weeks.

After then (if peat pellets are used and 2-3 weeks have passed and the stock is starting to look thick), I transplant them automatically to that 50/50 prementioned medium, in 2-3 gallon pots, and put a fan on them. Watering and nuteing them as needed.

After that, they grow like the plague.

dutch.lover is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Wow, this is an old thread that just got bumped...

I have to change my previous comments; namely, that SensaSoak has turned out to be utter garbage, and the peat pellets have that shitty wrapping on them that stunts growth, plus they hold way too much water.

It's all about nice, light soil.
    I used to use the peat pellets both for planting fresh cuttings in and for seedlings. I actually found that they dried out too quick, probably cause they're so small. All the plants I had in them are doing great now, although that wrapping on them must inhibit root growth- I'm sure my last clones would have rooted faster if it wasnt for that. Now I use peat pots, basically just a pot made out of pressed peat. The soil mix in them is 50% perlite, and regular ol potting soil- sand, perlite, and peat moss.

As for my germinating method, its very similar to other peoples. I just put a very damp paper towel folded a couple times on a plate, put the seeds on top, more damp paper towel, and then i cover it with something (usually just another plate). I keep them above my fridge where it's dark, and nice and warm.

babystarbud is offline Registered+
    ive always used paper towels on a dish in a warmish dark cupboard.
    about 5 layers on bottom, and covered with a lid of 5 layers.

it works so consistantly well for me that ive never needed to consider any other method.

as long as is kept damp, ( it can catch you un-awares f you dont keep an eye on it and dry out) wet to the touch, but not wet enough for any dribbles to run off if you turn the dish on its side.

when they sprout, i put them the light, in soil, root down, but barely covering the top of the seed...somtimes the seed top visible in the soil.
    ive yet to kill a seedling thats germinated...come close a few times but they are strong little buggers!
    Last edited by babystarbud; Nov-08-2006 at 04:37.

Bree1978 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by babystarbud View Post
    ive always used paper towels on a dish in a warmish dark cupboard.
    about 5 layers on bottom, and covered with a lid of 5 layers.

it works so consistantly well for me that ive never needed to consider any other method.

as long as is kept damp, ( it can catch you un-awares f you dont keep an eye on it and dry out) wet to the touch, but not wet enough for any dribbles to run off if you turn the dish on its side.

when they sprout, i put them the light, in soil, root down, but barely covering the top of the seed...somtimes the seed top visible in the soil.ive yet to kill a seedling thats germinated...come close a few times but they are strong little buggers!

I do this part but I skip the papertowel bit. I do the little bit of water -leave some seed with air touching- in the dark coffee cup in a warm room (very little light). Soon as the seed cracks, I know it's good. Then I do what what babystarbud does. I use my fingers, but if you aren't gentle use a plastic spoon when scooping out the seed. I really dislike the towel method, it always smells and I am leary about putting the few drops of bleach in there. Just my 2 cents.