Cannabis.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Too Much Light ?

mad5387 is offline Registered+

Too Much Light ?

I have 16 plants on day 2 of 12/12. Tallest is 20in (sativa). Soon down to 4-6best girls. Can The plants get too much light. I have 3x6x6 closet grow. Starting to flower with 6x40watt = 240watt flo = 18000. Plan to add 6 more for total 36000 lumens. Can I flower the entire time with this setup. I know
    a drawbact to flo is effeciency.The new growth is light colored and exploding. I like the 9 sets of leaves on the new growth. ( pic1,2 -sativa pic3,4 -indica.
    The indica grew 6 in in 2 days 10 in to 16. I hope they are Shes.
    Should I or Can I line the walls with tubes. 20 tubes = 60k lumens.
    I dont have HPS $$ now.
    Is this overkill.
    -----60,000k lum for 4-6 plants ? -----
    Sweet Leaf Dreams
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Too Much Light ?-budpreflower2dayss-001.jpg   Too Much Light ?-budpreflower2days-004s2.jpg   Too Much Light ?-budpreflower2daysi-002.jpg  

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

pic4

pic4 sorry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Too Much Light ?-budpreflower2daysi2-003.jpg  

busteruk7 is offline Registered+
    i wouldent say ya can have too much light
    lets put it this way , no matter how much light ya give ya plants there is no way ya can compare that to what the sun gives off if it was growing outside
    so my answer is no ya cant give them too much light
    just be carefull of the heat with multiple lamps
    cheers all
    KnowledgeIsPower likes this.
    growing in my house attic with a 200w envirolite and a 600w hps( out of site out of mind)
    my white rhino log-----------------my lowryder log-----------------my cali orange grow
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time.

Psychonaut28 is offline Registered+
    I used to think i was giving my plants too much light, but then i harvested huge, arm sized buds! lol!
    Just Doob It!

Garden Knowm is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut28
    I used to think i was giving my plants too much light, but then i harvested huge, arm sized buds! lol!

YEAH BOY!!!!

It is possible to give your plants to much light but your "set up" is very very far from that...

It even happens in nature sometimes at very high altitudes.

When a plant gets to much light the top growth looses its pigment.. The leaves actual turn WHITE...and GROWTH STOPS (at the top of the plant) and when you raise the lights the leaves turn green again (and growth resumes) after a couple days... IT is almost like a burn.. but the leves don't turn YELLOW and they dont become necrotic....

I witnessed this "TOO MUCH LIGHT" scenario with 4 - 600 watt HPS bulbs that were used ina 4x6 grow room... the lights were kept about 8 inches from the plants...

it is not POSSIBLE to over light using FLUORESCENTS..

and NOW you KNOWM

You better flower that sativa... 20 inches tall using fluorescent lights is very tall!

NICE plants.. they look healthy
    GARDEN KNOWM

10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 -5 - 4...

ahwell it looks like i could of been slightly wrong in my last post
    thanks for clearing that up knowm
    cheers all
    growing in my house attic with a 200w envirolite and a 600w hps( out of site out of mind)
    my white rhino log-----------------my lowryder log-----------------my cali orange grow

LIP
    LIP is offline Banned
    Well you truely learn something new everyday,. I wouldnt have said you could either Buster, but hey, now i knowm

But just like GK said, you'll NEVER be able to give a plant too much light using fluos.

Quote Originally Posted by LIP
    Well you truely learn something new everyday,. I wouldnt have said you could either Buster, but hey, now i knowm

But just like GK said, you'll NEVER be able to give a plant too much light using fluos.
    lol looks like we have both been knowmed today then, and yeah you do learn something new everyday lol
    cheers all

hey buster...

for 99.9% of the world you are absolutley correct... and "over lighting" is truly a rare phenomenon unless you are at altitudes of over 10,000 feet...

If I were the mis information police, I would not press charges against you. LOL

iloveyou
    GARDEN KNOWM

nice one cheers knowm I LOVE YOU TOO
    cheers all

Mike63 is offline Registered
    Hi y'all. Long time grower outdoors forced to move indoors recently. I'd like to pick up on a couple of points, apologies if basic. mad5387, you have 16 plants, cull the males yes but why cull females unless you are light limited? Garden Knowm, 20in for sativa should be flowered? Outside I used to clip them if they were in danger of poking over the 6ft fence, only on a good UK summer though but 3ft was common. Quantity over quality yes. Indoors, I have 3ft sativa in pots, natural window light. They have small shoots at each fan leaf junction. They could continue vegitative growth but should I force them into 12:12 flowering? Put another way, why force flowering on a 20in sativa?

Hi Mike,

great questions.. and there are no absolutes..
    but here it goes..

Most cannabis plants will double, tripple and sometimes even increase in size by 5X's there vegetative size once flowering is induced (12/12 lighting). The younger a plant is forced into flowering, usually the more it will grow when flowered (proportional speaking of course).

A plant that is flowered at 4 inches tall may get 24 inches tall upon flowering(6 times taller).

Where as a plant that is 10 feet tall may only get 15 feet tall (.5 times taller) upon flowering.

So why flower at 20 inches.. strickly speaking of indoor gardens....
    HID lights are nearly usless at more than 24 inches (unless you just want to shp at costco underneath them)... Every 12 inches these lights loose half of their GROWING power (lumens)... SO if you FLOWER a plant at 20 inches.. and it grows another 20 inches.. you now have a 40 inch tall plant... to adequately light a 40 inch tall plant you need lots of side lighting.

THAT being said.. many many people grow 10- 60 inch tall plants under 2 - 1000 watt HPS bulbs and harvest 3-5 ounces per plant... once every 3-5 months... it can be done.. it is just not the most effcient method of growing in my opinion...

I also come from a background of growing plants very very close together.. making it IMPOSSIBLE for any light.. even the SUN to penetrate more than 6 inches from the highest point in the canopy.

iloveyou

WHEW!!!!!!

BUT wait, there is MORE.. LOL

MAD is growing with FLUORESCENTS.. he should have flowered when the plants were 10 inches tall... Fluorescent have VERY VERY minimal penetration and must be kept DIRECTLY in the area of desired growth..

iloveyou
    Last edited by Garden Knowm; Jun-30-2006 at 22:30.
    GARDEN KNOWM

Opie Yutts is offline Registered+
    You can actually burn a plant with light, not heat, but I don't think it is possible with fluoros.

Should I or Can I line the walls with tubes. 20 tubes = 60k lumens.
    I dont have HPS $$ now.

For the price of 20 tubes you can have HPS.
    PLEASE STOP BY MY FOGGING THREAD
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

Jdog7000 is offline Registered+
    Unless you have all those lights already.
    Otherwise your waisting your money.
    You could just buy an HPS.
    Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. I do not grow or condone the growing of anything not legal. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widley available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.

I witnessed this "TOO MUCH LIGHT" scenario with 4 - 600 watt HPS bulbs that were used ina 4x6 grow room... the lights were kept about 8 inches from the plants...

Holy crap. I just re-read this. It's a wonder the plants didn't start oozing nutrients then burst into flame. This is an example of too much light.
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

iwantFUEGO is offline Registered+
    yea man you should be fine with what you have.
    I got just one with 4 CFLs and shes doing great... very healthy so far.
    Some will laugh at the idea of trying to flower a plant with 4 CFLs but we shall see how it goes. Many people have great yeilds with them.
    PEace
    I do not grow marijuana. Any pictures I use were found on the internet as a means of comparison.

Jdog7000 is offline Registered+
    OK,well if you had enuogh co2 and nutes then that wouldn't be too much light.
    But the heat would be a problem.
    You will never match the intensity of the sun indoors.
    There for never too much light.
    Just a waist of light and electricity.
    Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. I do not grow or condone the growing of anything not legal. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widley available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.

Thanks ALL

Sweet Leaf Dreams

9mmpistl is offline Registered+
    Ive read in more than a few places that the suns intensity is equivelent to 20,000 lumens per square foot, if true, you can easily double that with hps bulbs prolly triple, talk about nugs

Quote Originally Posted by Jdog7000 View Post
    You will never match the intensity of the sun indoors.
    There for never too much light.
    Just a waist of light and electricity.
    I'd like to have a disagreement. Plants that get too much light shut down or reduce respiration and transpiration.

Revanche21 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmpistl View Post
    Ive read in more than a few places that the suns intensity is equivelent to 20,000 lumens per square foot, if true, you can easily double that with hps bulbs prolly triple, talk about nugs
    I have a solar battery charger that shows the intensity of light.

on a sunny day the meter reads about 2 hours of light to charge here in san francisco

when the solar charge is inches away from the (600 hps) bulb, it goes off the charts.

at about 2 feet its about the same as if it were outside on a pretty day.

raythenewby is offline Registered

Angry TOO MUCH LIGHT!!!

i belive u can have too much light. i had 18 plants about 8 inches high just off a florecint light. then i put 2 300 watt lights and a 90 watt light and a few of them died. this all happened last night.i turned them off this mornin
    any help full advice pls hook me up

spiked666killer is offline Registered+
    Hey, If your new here, (Wich it's quite evident you are).
    Start your own thread, And don't be a grace digger.

If the people dont have a revolution every ten years, Against the government. They will take over like wolfs -Thomas Jefferson

"Now consider this, We havnt had a revolution in nearly 40 years"

http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...log-one-3.html - - - - -First Grow Log

I do not condone to the personal use, Or Cultivation Of marijuana. Every thing I post is fictional, And or a figment of your imagination.

mfisher1301 is offline Registered+
    The tops of my plants started turning white. I thaught it was just the strain (Nothern Lights)???? Like the buds had no pigment but a ton of tricomes. Is that from too much light? My last grow I had 4 lights over 12 plants in and areoflo2 system. I upped to 22 plants on this grow amd I'm using 9 UFO style LEDs in a 6X8 room. Too much?

canadianhemperor is offline Registered+
    Not too much , the light are to close, this is what causes the tips to become white (light bleaching) it happens with led's, Some people say that the white tips are swealing of the thc resin glands caused buy uv light emmited from the ufo's and the 660nm red spectrum that can boost thc production. But the solution is to keep your lights 12-16 inchs from plants.
    Last edited by canadianhemperor; Oct-21-2011 at 09:50.
    All posts by this user should be considered fictional and are for entertainment use only. Anyone reading these posts should consider them all fictional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast