Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76

Thread: Stages of Marijuana Smoking

  1. #51
    marleystoned's Avatar
    marleystoned is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-27-2007
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmokingMonkey View Post
    "Moderation in all things, including moderation"

    Secret is, you can't let yourself become addicted. Cannabis is not addictive physically, but mentally, one could become dependent on it. Where there's a will, there's a way, and I agree with LIP when he says a lot of the problems chronic smokers have stem from their tempraments, rather than the weed itself.

    However, that's not to say one can blithely go through one's entire life stoned.

    My personal feeling is that one should use weed like one would use alcohol: for unwinding after a hard day of work, for partying with friends, and for medicine.

    This means a responsible user is sober: at work, at school, when supervising children, when operating heavy machinery, when doing a risky physical activity.

    Just my opinion, but I agree with LIP for the most part.
    I've been reading this thread from the beginning and this is the most intellegent post yet. Smoking pot is what you make of it. I smoke pot to relax after a long day, many smoke it to soothe their pain. Dont blame weed for your addiction, blame yourself. I have smoked since highschool and never have I gone to work or school high. Some people can work or learn high just like LIP said, but if you noticed that you cannot perform your best at school if your high then don't smoke before school. Your agruments against marijuana disgust me, you should have just written that you have not an ounce of self-control. The one agruement that you can back up is short term memory. But before i began smoking i talked to people and read articles so i knew any consequences of smoking MJ. Maybe you should read some articles and maybe you can prove to me that MJ is linked to weight gain. It may increase your appetite but it all comes back to self-control.

  2. #52
    FindingTim is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-18-2006
    Posts
    175
    I would like to add one more important note to this post: The negative effects that I perceived were somewhat subtle. It wasn't like, "wow, my social skills are a complete mess after tons of smoking." It was something that I had to pay close attention to, and I've been paying attention to it very closely for some time now. The key word here is subtle, because the negative effects of pot are not obvious. In fact, if one is obsessed with pot (like I was), it is easy to dismiss the negative aspects. Before I began to notice all the negatives, I had to come to terms with the fact that marijuana isn't the perfect, god-sent miracle that I once thought it to be (I am actually agnostic, but that's besides the point). Based on observations of myself and my close weed-smoking friends, marijuana slowly creeps up on you, and before you know it, you aren't who you thought you were or who you want to be. I really think huge potheads would be doing themselves a favor by asking themselves, "Is this truly the person I want to be?"

    Luckily, I have found that the heavy smoking seems to have little long-term effects, if any. Having not smoked for some time now, my mind is in its original state of clarity, and thankfully, I am once again who I truly want to be...

    If any of you are at all questioning your pot habit, I strongly recommend not smoking for a week or two. You will be blown away at the improvement in mental clarity and overall life quality.

    Of course, everything I've mentioned is based on marijuana abuse. I have never experimented with just taking a couple of rips off a joint every now and then. In my situation, it was either get way faded, or don't smoke.
    The cool thing about smoking is it turns wherever you are into the perfect spot in the world.

  3. #53
    Reefer Rogue's Avatar
    Reefer Rogue is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-01-2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by FindingTim View Post
    I would like to add one more important note to this post: The negative effects that I perceived were somewhat subtle. It wasn't like, "wow, my social skills are a complete mess after tons of smoking." It was something that I had to pay close attention to, and I've been paying attention to it very closely for some time now. The key word here is subtle, because the negative effects of pot are not obvious. In fact, if one is obsessed with pot (like I was), it is easy to dismiss the negative aspects. Before I began to notice all the negatives, I had to come to terms with the fact that marijuana isn't the perfect, god-sent miracle that I once thought it to be (I am actually agnostic, but that's besides the point). Based on observations of myself and my close weed-smoking friends, marijuana slowly creeps up on you, and before you know it, you aren't who you thought you were or who you want to be. I really think huge potheads would be doing themselves a favor by asking themselves, "Is this truly the person I want to be?"

    Luckily, I have found that the heavy smoking seems to have little long-term effects, if any. Having not smoked for some time now, my mind is in its original state of clarity, and thankfully, I am once again who I truly want to be...

    If any of you are at all questioning your pot habit, I strongly recommend not smoking for a week or two. You will be blown away at the improvement in mental clarity and overall life quality.

    Of course, everything I've mentioned is based on marijuana abuse. I have never experimented with just taking a couple of rips off a joint every now and then. In my situation, it was either get way faded, or don't smoke.
    I am that I am and that is who i want to be. I don't think what you're saying there necessarily holds, the effects are different with everyone in some subtle ways like you say. I know that if i continue to smoke i'll know exactly who i am and who i want to be and who i have already become. To know oneself one must assert oneself.
    PEACE

    'Why should one be judged by the colour of their skin, instead of the qualities they show from deep within?' - Peter Tosh

    If they dont instantly know what you are talking about just walk away.
    Kraloth:
    http://boards.cannabis.com/recreatio...rger-then.html

  4. #54
    LIP's Avatar
    LIP
    LIP is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb-15-2006
    Posts
    12,841
    Quote Originally Posted by FindingTim View Post
    I would like to add one more important note to this post: The negative effects that I perceived were somewhat subtle. It wasn't like, "wow, my social skills are a complete mess after tons of smoking." It was something that I had to pay close attention to, and I've been paying attention to it very closely for some time now. The key word here is subtle, because the negative effects of pot are not obvious. In fact, if one is obsessed with pot (like I was), it is easy to dismiss the negative aspects. Before I began to notice all the negatives, I had to come to terms with the fact that marijuana isn't the perfect, god-sent miracle that I once thought it to be (I am actually agnostic, but that's besides the point). Based on observations of myself and my close weed-smoking friends, marijuana slowly creeps up on you, and before you know it, you aren't who you thought you were or who you want to be. I really think huge potheads would be doing themselves a favor by asking themselves, "Is this truly the person I want to be?"

    Luckily, I have found that the heavy smoking seems to have little long-term effects, if any. Having not smoked for some time now, my mind is in its original state of clarity, and thankfully, I am once again who I truly want to be...

    If any of you are at all questioning your pot habit, I strongly recommend not smoking for a week or two. You will be blown away at the improvement in mental clarity and overall life quality.

    Of course, everything I've mentioned is based on marijuana abuse. I have never experimented with just taking a couple of rips off a joint every now and then. In my situation, it was either get way faded, or don't smoke.


    I'm Alex. I smoke roughly 14 grams of cannabis a day, be it hash or weed, or both. Im 6'2", i drive a van, i have 2 properties. I have an advanced driving licence, and im a miserable person. I'm a marine engineer/boatbuilder. I have a girlfriend who has a similar name to me. I was born in East London, and lived there ever since. I'm a cockney. I have 3 vehicles. I have brown hair. I have 2 rings and a necklace that i wear. 10 of my front teeth are crooked. I'm a VERY angry person. I'm a VERY violent person. I do drink, but not excessively. I love my beer. I used to bare knuckle box, and was into organised fighting. From a legal standpoint, im an ex hooligan. I play snooker. I cant stand ANYTHING the Government say or do, and i believe that deserve public execution. I left school at 14. I have a twin diesel 600HP speedboat, and im looking into buying another bigger boat. My favourite aftershave is D&G. I like fishing.

    I know exactly who i am. THE ONLY THING THAT WOULD CHANGE, IS THE FACT I WOULDNT BE SMOKING WEED.

    Although, something i didnt mention is, i smoke weed medicinally as well as recreationally because of back trouble, knee trouble and headaches. I broke my back, i have something wrong with the cartilidge in my knee. So i smoke to surpress the pain. If i was to stop smoking, i wouldnt be able to drive, and i wouldnt be able to work. So really, if i didnt smoke weed, i'd be poor.

    The point is, weed makes my life better in everyway, and couldnt make anything worse if it tried. Weed is just that, it's weed. It's not heroin.

    Cannabis, if it has changed me AT ALL, has only changed me for the better.


    If you dont like weed, just stop smoking it. But REALLY, stop trying to get people to feel bad for smoking it, or trying to trick them into thinking it's having negative effects on them. If it WAS having negative effects on them, they'll see it themselves. This is a pro cannabis website. Bear that in mind..

  5. #55
    Reefer Rogue's Avatar
    Reefer Rogue is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-01-2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Legend
    PEACE

    'Why should one be judged by the colour of their skin, instead of the qualities they show from deep within?' - Peter Tosh

    If they dont instantly know what you are talking about just walk away.
    Kraloth:
    http://boards.cannabis.com/recreatio...rger-then.html

  6. #56
    theelectrician is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun-14-2007
    Posts
    91
    although people with medical prob luv a little more i wish i never smoked it and luved it so much it changed my life i think its all a heinz 57 mix and there r sum general trues memory loss, yall now willing to settle for less yess the social ability thing is different, i think some of the people are potheads cause there not real comfy in social sets so they they smoke 2 deal i think weed should be an antidepressant really stoned ud never find ur gun &bullets then on the way to the killin ud stop at wendys eat like 12$ of grub and then decide to go home and play video games and smoke another bowl of the kind weed aint a positive but we all do the best we can to our life good and 4 some of us this is the shiiit. the best 2 yall

  7. #57
    smok3y's Avatar
    smok3y is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-19-2006
    Posts
    1,367
    Emmm what we talking about again?

    I think every person has a diffrent effect from smoking weed, some people tend to feel or genarly are lazy and will blame it on weed, and others will smoke and still go out and do what needs to be done.. Its the person itself who has these problem not the weed thats causin the problem, so people need to stop making excusses and tryin to blame weed on there own lazy or confussed minds..
    R.I.P
    David Steele
    "Gone But Never Forgotten"

    I know you don't smoke weed, I know this..
    but I'm gonna get you high today..
    'cause it's Friday' you ain't got no job... and you ain't got shit to do..


  8. #58
    NextLineIsMine's Avatar
    NextLineIsMine is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec-20-2005
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by FindingTim View Post
    Well, whatever it is you are smoking it is preventing you from correctly spelling "weird."

    Just thought I'd help you out for future purposes...

    You come across as an arrogant dick right about here.

    This is a classic freshman in college "I understand the world now" moment



    Youre conveying your points as if youve come to some great realization and the rest of us are blinded by our addictions and love of cannabis because we cant relate to you. I find arrogance one of the most repulisive traits one can have, you seem to have it in spades.
    Last edited by NextLineIsMine; Feb-19-2008 at 20:09.

  9. #59
    SFGurrilla's Avatar
    SFGurrilla is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-22-2007
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by FindingTim View Post
    These are the stages of smoking that I went through up until now, starting in my sophomore year of high school. I am now a freshmen at Loyola Marymount in Los Angeles, and I spent about 1/2 of the first semester completely baked. However, I hope this time my abstinence will be permanent. I am posting this in order to both promote my own decision to quit smoking, and to assist anyone who may be blind to their own similar experiences.

    Stages:
    1. Began pot experimentation around age 15, yet did not use habitually. Found experience to be life-changing . Even began to appreciate nature.

    2. Began to smoke on weekends with friends. Created countless priceless memories.
    3. Bought first sack, smoked alone for first time.
    4. Continued to buy, began to listen to classic rock, and spent many hours on cannabis.com message boards.
    5. Began to question marijuana use only because of potential cancer link, but began to smoke even more after reading numerous studies disproving the marijuana/cancer connection.
    6. Hardcore marijuana abuse over summer, sometimes going a week at a time without sobering up. In a brainwashed stupor, attempted to persuade many peers to try smoking.
    7. Lots of personal marijuana abuse over next two years, with several month long breaks in between.
    8. Began to recognize own smoking as an addiction and a problem, yet began to incorporate smoking into almost any type of activity.
    9. Began to realize that marijuana use was negatively affecting almost every aspect of life. Quit for a month several times, vowing to not smoke again for years. Continuously relapsed after a months time with justifications such as: “it’s been long enough,” and “I’ll only use occasionally.”
    10. Each month long break resulted in a mildly skeptical ‘welcome back’ smoke, which always led to hardcore, 24/7 pot smoking. Despite realizing that pot no longer provided the epic mental journey of sophomore year, continued to use and abuse.
    11. Began to pay close attention to levels of happiness and overall emotions while both stoned and sober. Found that happiness, intellect, and even enjoyment of music all were increased during days that followed pot binges, rather than during.
    12. Decided that social abilities, intelligence, and emotions are far too precious to waste by smoking pot.


    More personal observations:

    Positives of Marijuana Abuse:
    Get high
    Social involvement
    Negatives of Marijuana Abuse:
    Weight gain (munchies)
    Apathy (loss of emotions/feelings/motivation)
    Worse physical appearance (droopy eyes, not just while stoned)
    Memory loss
    Greatly weakened social ability
    No sex drive
    Increased estrogen (less muscle mass potential)
    Learning difficulty
    Loss of confidence
    Completely different personality
    No R.E.M. sleep or dreams
    Withdrawal Symptoms:
    Sleep disturbance
    Wrestlessness
    Irritability
    Complete appetite loss
    Loss in confidence
    Mild depression

    So, after four years and thousands of bowls (literally), I am done. Oh, and please excuse my signature; I made it a long time ago.

    Final 10 cents:
    ---Dennis Kucinich 08'!--- (He happens to be the most reasonable and peace-minded candidate. Watch him in debates and you too may realize that he is the one candidate capable of making huge, positive change in this country.)
    Makes since in the back of my head I think these thngs but while im smoking, its the complete opposite.

    I dont grow trees, I joke about it. I just toke them.


    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...-pictures.html

    And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land.

    -- Ezekiel 34/29

  10. #60
    Euphoric7's Avatar
    Euphoric7 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-28-2007
    Posts
    310
    Did you smoke pure indica?
    Everything I post is 100% fictional and used purely for entertainment purposes.
    <I really appreciate good rep. >

  11. #61
    Storm Crow's Avatar
    Storm Crow is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug-29-2005
    Posts
    2,952

    Exclamation About that "increased estrogen" bit.....

    Pure BS put out by the gov! Here's the truth!

    Effects of chronic marijuana use on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men and women.
    University of Iowa Anesthesia Publications

    - Granny
    "If the truth won't do, then something is wrong!"
    Granny's Grandpa- Rev. J. C. Schwabenland

    Need MMJ medical studies? Look here!
    http://boards.cannabis.com/medicinal...st-2010-a.html

    Granny's list's on facebook-
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Granny...0974909?ref=nf

    Want your own free copy of the list? email us-
    i.wantgrannyslist(at)greenpassion.org

  12. #62
    gocryemokid's Avatar
    gocryemokid is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-09-2007
    Posts
    74
    The bottom line - bud can't be abused by everyone! I've been saying this for years. I smoke every day and don't have barely any negative symptoms other than laziness, which surprise surprise is nothing new. I was always lazy.
    Smokin'!, Smokin'!
    We're cookin' tonight, just keep on tokin'!
    Smokin'!, Smokin'!
    I feel alright, mamma I'm not jokin', yeah.

  13. #63
    Xyz505's Avatar
    Xyz505 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-14-2008
    Posts
    210
    u go grany i was gonna say something like that but anyway have fun not tokin and rip jane.

  14. #64
    FreshNugz is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun-03-2007
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by 4twentE View Post


    but if you're too sorry to groom and dress in the morning, you're probably an ugly f__ker anyway. You've got problems besides pot.
    LOL...i'd have to agree with that.

    But to FindingTim:
    I think you just need to find your own ways of 'productive smoking'. If you have a positive outlook on your cannabis use, you'll find its benefits outweigh the negative feelings you had before.
    Cannabis expands your mind...that is one positive attribute you didn't mention.
    Good luck..you'll smoke your way back

  15. #65
    pyrar is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Aug-24-2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by FindingTim View Post
    These are the stages of smoking that I went through up until now, starting in my sophomore year of high school. I am now a freshmen at Loyola Marymount in Los Angeles, and I spent about 1/2 of the first semester completely baked. However, I hope this time my abstinence will be permanent. I am posting this in order to both promote my own decision to quit smoking, and to assist anyone who may be blind to their own similar experiences.

    Stages:
    1. Began pot experimentation around age 15, yet did not use habitually. Found experience to be life-changing . Even began to appreciate nature.

    2. Began to smoke on weekends with friends. Created countless priceless memories.
    3. Bought first sack, smoked alone for first time.
    4. Continued to buy, began to listen to classic rock, and spent many hours on cannabis.com message boards.
    5. Began to question marijuana use only because of potential cancer link, but began to smoke even more after reading numerous studies disproving the marijuana/cancer connection.
    6. Hardcore marijuana abuse over summer, sometimes going a week at a time without sobering up. In a brainwashed stupor, attempted to persuade many peers to try smoking.
    7. Lots of personal marijuana abuse over next two years, with several month long breaks in between.
    8. Began to recognize own smoking as an addiction and a problem, yet began to incorporate smoking into almost any type of activity.
    9. Began to realize that marijuana use was negatively affecting almost every aspect of life. Quit for a month several times, vowing to not smoke again for years. Continuously relapsed after a months time with justifications such as: “it’s been long enough,” and “I’ll only use occasionally.”
    10. Each month long break resulted in a mildly skeptical ‘welcome back’ smoke, which always led to hardcore, 24/7 pot smoking. Despite realizing that pot no longer provided the epic mental journey of sophomore year, continued to use and abuse.
    11. Began to pay close attention to levels of happiness and overall emotions while both stoned and sober. Found that happiness, intellect, and even enjoyment of music all were increased during days that followed pot binges, rather than during.
    12. Decided that social abilities, intelligence, and emotions are far too precious to waste by smoking pot.


    More personal observations:

    Positives of Marijuana Abuse:
    Get high
    Social involvement
    Negatives of Marijuana Abuse:
    Weight gain (munchies)
    Apathy (loss of emotions/feelings/motivation)
    Worse physical appearance (droopy eyes, not just while stoned)
    Memory loss
    Greatly weakened social ability
    No sex drive
    Increased estrogen (less muscle mass potential)
    Learning difficulty
    Loss of confidence
    Completely different personality
    No R.E.M. sleep or dreams
    Withdrawal Symptoms:
    Sleep disturbance
    Wrestlessness
    Irritability
    Complete appetite loss
    Loss in confidence
    Mild depression

    So, after four years and thousands of bowls (literally), I am done. Oh, and please excuse my signature; I made it a long time ago.

    Final 10 cents:
    ---Dennis Kucinich 08'!--- (He happens to be the most reasonable and peace-minded candidate. Watch him in debates and you too may realize that he is the one candidate capable of making huge, positive change in this country.)
    There are so many problems with your logic I don't even know where to start.

    I'm 20 years old, and a sophomore in college. I have been smoking almost every day for the past year. Prior to that, I was a very casual smoker, some months smoking once or twice, or none at all. Less than 25 times per year. That was up until about a year ago.

    Now, I smoke ONLY once per day, and always at night about an hour or two before sleep. Personally, I use it because I like the effects: relaxation, altered state of mind, increased laughter, etc,. I use it at night prior to sleep because it is the time of the day when I DON'T NEED to be productive: this is time I had previously spent watching tv sober, using the computer, etc,.

    Now, I've made the decision to not smoke during the day, because I understand that would be irresponsible for me, and for my life. Marijuana isn't MAKING me use it all the time, I am the one that controls its usage. If you don't have the ability to exercise that discipline, you shouldn't be using it. Period. Learn to be accountable for your actions, something you probably have no concept of.

    I have plenty of friends that use marijuana just as often, if not more, than I do. Some of them have problems managing their usage(being high during the day, in school, etc,.). I also have other friends who use it responsibly as I do, and they have no problems with it in their life.

    Reality check: You're in college, you're young, you don't know what your talking about(an exaggeration, of course).

    You say you go to LMU? I've got some friends there, some do some crazy drugs over there. You in a frat(99.99% chance)?

    You say you spent 1/2 a semester baked? That doesn't seem very smart to me. You were responsible for choosing to smoke for that period of time. Marijuana didn't entice you. You most likely have other psychological issues that need sorting out, and your outlet for your problems was marijuana at that time.

    You attempted to persuade others to smoke? I'm assuming you peer-pressured them? Another clue you might be in a frat. If you are consciously peer-pressuring people like that, see a therapist. Bully, anyone?

    The point is that you are obviously ABUSING marijuana, just like people abuse every other drug on this planet, but you chose pot.

    I'm not saying marijuana abuse doesn't cause any ill effects, because it obviously has to you. You need to understand that when you started ABUSING it, you should have said to yourself, hey, what am I doing? Anytime you make a lifestyle change such as smoking every day, you NEED to analyze it. That's what a responsible person does.

    I really hope this isn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if in 2 years you end up with a vicodin addiction, because that is what "people were doing" at the time, and you were just a psychological mess, so you abused it. For your sake, don't let this abuse problem manifest itself in another drug, activity, [insert commonly abused thing here].


    Overall, you probably used the following logic in your post:

    Cause: Started smoking marijuana a lot.
    Effect: It ruined my life.
    Reality: You weren't happy with yourself prior to smoking a lot(that's a problem), and you ended up abusing marijuana, masking your emotional distress. Now here you are, complaining about marijuana hurting your life, when what really is hurting you isn't even in the post at all.

    Also, about your "negative effects":

    Those are the effects of depression(give or take a few).

    You were depressed, you started smoking, it made it even worse, and here you are now. Probably still depressed inside, but hopefully finally accepting that. The world is a lot bigger than LMU, TRUST ME.

    BTW:

    I don't mean to sound like an asshole, I'm just laying it all on the table for you. I could be completely wrong about everything I said, because I don't know you, but maybe you will pull a little insight out of this post.

    In response to this:

    "Based on observations of myself and my close weed-smoking friends, marijuana slowly creeps up on you, and before you know it, you aren't who you thought you were or who you want to be. I really think huge potheads would be doing themselves a favor by asking themselves, "Is this truly the person I want to be?"

    Listen. Smoking all day, every day, is a lifestyle change. Lifestyle changes CHANGE WHO YOU ARE. That's why they are called lifestyle changes. Its your conscious decision to change your life, by smoking every day, that is what actually catalyzes the changes.

    All of my close friends, who have known me since WAY before I started smoking, tell me that I haven't changed at all. Why? Because I do the same shit I've always done from 9am - 9pm, except for when I smoke, usually by myself, at night.

    Significance: It hasn't changed my life, or creeped up on me(lol), at all.

    I don't tell people I smoke, and they would never notice. I enjoy it, my life is enriched, and life goes on.

    Who Am I?

    College student.
    Self-employed, and own an IT consulting company.
    On my way, to *hopefully* expanding my business(booo recession), and some day a family and kids.

    Have my dreams been ruined by pot? You be the judge. As far as I'm concerned I'm right on track .

    PEACE OUT

  16. #66
    Coelho is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec-01-2006
    Posts
    2,695
    ^^^^ Excellent post!

  17. #67
    maxsuperdanks's Avatar
    maxsuperdanks is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan-23-2008
    Posts
    283
    Weed doesn't MAKE ANYONE DO/BE ANYTHING!


    Weed doesn't hold you down and keep you from cleaning your room

    Weed doesn't make you jump out of a window thinking you can fly (if you do this, you deserve to die anyways in my oppinion, via natural law, because you didn't try taking off from the ground first)

    Weed doesn't MAKE you eat




    Weed gives people an excuse to let themselves fuck their lives up.

  18. #68
    babyfaceisLEGAL's Avatar
    babyfaceisLEGAL is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-25-2008
    Posts
    40
    It's just weed man. If you don't like it, don't do it; don't make it our problem. I understand that a bunch of you are all worked up over some kid's opinion of our precious greenery but it's just an opinion, he doesn't like it so like I said, it's his problem. I like the controversy though. I would say my famous "It's just pot, weed ain't.." but it'll just get deleted, so hopefully you all know what I'm getting at. It's only harmful if you let it get that way. Take care of yourselves and don't become a statistic.

    I had my first joint at 13, making it five years since I've started smoking. I smoke daily, it's a part of who I am. I've never blamed weed for anything in my life, anything negative I brought on myself, not pot. Pot is a plant, nothing more to me. I smoke roughly 2 g's a day and when I was younger it was more. The only problem I've had with the goddess mary jane is that the bitch is too expensive. :P

  19. #69
    jdmarcus59's Avatar
    jdmarcus59 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-20-2007
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by FindingTim View Post
    These are the stages of smoking that I went through up until now, starting in my sophomore year of high school. I am now a freshmen at Loyola Marymount in Los Angeles, and I spent about 1/2 of the first semester completely baked. However, I hope this time my abstinence will be permanent. I am posting this in order to both promote my own decision to quit smoking, and to assist anyone who may be blind to their own similar experiences.

    Stages:
    1. Began pot experimentation around age 15, yet did not use habitually. Found experience to be life-changing . Even began to appreciate nature.

    2. Began to smoke on weekends with friends. Created countless priceless memories.
    3. Bought first sack, smoked alone for first time.
    4. Continued to buy, began to listen to classic rock, and spent many hours on cannabis.com message boards.
    5. Began to question marijuana use only because of potential cancer link, but began to smoke even more after reading numerous studies disproving the marijuana/cancer connection.
    6. Hardcore marijuana abuse over summer, sometimes going a week at a time without sobering up. In a brainwashed stupor, attempted to persuade many peers to try smoking.
    7. Lots of personal marijuana abuse over next two years, with several month long breaks in between.
    8. Began to recognize own smoking as an addiction and a problem, yet began to incorporate smoking into almost any type of activity.
    9. Began to realize that marijuana use was negatively affecting almost every aspect of life. Quit for a month several times, vowing to not smoke again for years. Continuously relapsed after a months time with justifications such as: “it’s been long enough,” and “I’ll only use occasionally.”
    10. Each month long break resulted in a mildly skeptical ‘welcome back’ smoke, which always led to hardcore, 24/7 pot smoking. Despite realizing that pot no longer provided the epic mental journey of sophomore year, continued to use and abuse.
    11. Began to pay close attention to levels of happiness and overall emotions while both stoned and sober. Found that happiness, intellect, and even enjoyment of music all were increased during days that followed pot binges, rather than during.
    12. Decided that social abilities, intelligence, and emotions are far too precious to waste by smoking pot.


    More personal observations:

    Positives of Marijuana Abuse:
    Get high
    Social involvement
    Negatives of Marijuana Abuse:
    Weight gain (munchies)
    Apathy (loss of emotions/feelings/motivation)
    Worse physical appearance (droopy eyes, not just while stoned)
    Memory loss
    Greatly weakened social ability
    No sex drive
    Increased estrogen (less muscle mass potential)
    Learning difficulty
    Loss of confidence
    Completely different personality
    No R.E.M. sleep or dreams
    Withdrawal Symptoms:
    Sleep disturbance
    Wrestlessness
    Irritability
    Complete appetite loss
    Loss in confidence
    Mild depression

    So, after four years and thousands of bowls (literally), I am done. Oh, and please excuse my signature; I made it a long time ago.

    Final 10 cents:
    ---Dennis Kucinich 08'!--- (He happens to be the most reasonable and peace-minded candidate. Watch him in debates and you too may realize that he is the one candidate capable of making huge, positive change in this country.)
    I belive that many times we blame a drug or a strong drink, when we should blame are selfs, we all have to ask are selfs why did we try this are that in the first place. mabey there is somthing wrong with us that makes us want to try somthing that will make us feel better, what wrong with us if we feel that we need somthing to make us feel better, in other words if it ant broke dont fix it.
    so if you feel fine then why take somthing to change the way you feel?
    walk this earth to search and find.
    and if you find the truth dont hide.
    for this may be your last day to try.

  20. #70
    smokinjoe22 is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Mar-14-2008
    Posts
    1
    this is a bunch of bs, ive smoked 1000's of bowls myself and i dont have these problems. but if you think it causes all of these problems why do u keep going back to it? because you like getting high so u dont realize your an idiot.

  21. #71
    FindingTim is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-18-2006
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLineIsMine View Post
    You come across as an arrogant dick right about here.

    This is a classic freshman in college "I understand the world now" moment



    Youre conveying your points as if youve come to some great realization and the rest of us are blinded by our addictions and love of cannabis because we cant relate to you. I find arrogance one of the most repulisive traits one can have, you seem to have it in spades.
    First of all, I am amazed that this thread is still running... I started it in December, and tonight is my first time back on the web site.

    As for your comment, I completely agree. As I was reading back over the thread I thought to myself, "that was a dickhead thing to say." So i apologize.

    Anyways, I think many of you are making one crucial misjudgment: So many people continue to say, "It's you, not the weed." Listen, I am comfortable with my life and who I am as a person! That was never an issue.

    Looking back, I think the best explanation is abuse. I never smoked lightly. It was always marathon-like smoking that lasted for weeks. I assume that this can cause mental issues for even the most intellectually gifted of people.
    The cool thing about smoking is it turns wherever you are into the perfect spot in the world.

  22. #72
    FindingTim is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-18-2006
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrar View Post
    There are so many problems with your logic I don't even know where to start.

    I'm 20 years old, and a sophomore in college. I have been smoking almost every day for the past year. Prior to that, I was a very casual smoker, some months smoking once or twice, or none at all. Less than 25 times per year. That was up until about a year ago.

    Now, I smoke ONLY once per day, and always at night about an hour or two before sleep. Personally, I use it because I like the effects: relaxation, altered state of mind, increased laughter, etc,. I use it at night prior to sleep because it is the time of the day when I DON'T NEED to be productive: this is time I had previously spent watching tv sober, using the computer, etc,.

    Now, I've made the decision to not smoke during the day, because I understand that would be irresponsible for me, and for my life. Marijuana isn't MAKING me use it all the time, I am the one that controls its usage. If you don't have the ability to exercise that discipline, you shouldn't be using it. Period. Learn to be accountable for your actions, something you probably have no concept of.

    I have plenty of friends that use marijuana just as often, if not more, than I do. Some of them have problems managing their usage(being high during the day, in school, etc,.). I also have other friends who use it responsibly as I do, and they have no problems with it in their life.

    Reality check: You're in college, you're young, you don't know what your talking about(an exaggeration, of course).

    You say you go to LMU? I've got some friends there, some do some crazy drugs over there. You in a frat(99.99% chance)?

    You say you spent 1/2 a semester baked? That doesn't seem very smart to me. You were responsible for choosing to smoke for that period of time. Marijuana didn't entice you. You most likely have other psychological issues that need sorting out, and your outlet for your problems was marijuana at that time.

    You attempted to persuade others to smoke? I'm assuming you peer-pressured them? Another clue you might be in a frat. If you are consciously peer-pressuring people like that, see a therapist. Bully, anyone?

    The point is that you are obviously ABUSING marijuana, just like people abuse every other drug on this planet, but you chose pot.

    I'm not saying marijuana abuse doesn't cause any ill effects, because it obviously has to you. You need to understand that when you started ABUSING it, you should have said to yourself, hey, what am I doing? Anytime you make a lifestyle change such as smoking every day, you NEED to analyze it. That's what a responsible person does.

    I really hope this isn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if in 2 years you end up with a vicodin addiction, because that is what "people were doing" at the time, and you were just a psychological mess, so you abused it. For your sake, don't let this abuse problem manifest itself in another drug, activity, [insert commonly abused thing here].


    Overall, you probably used the following logic in your post:

    Cause: Started smoking marijuana a lot.
    Effect: It ruined my life.
    Reality: You weren't happy with yourself prior to smoking a lot(that's a problem), and you ended up abusing marijuana, masking your emotional distress. Now here you are, complaining about marijuana hurting your life, when what really is hurting you isn't even in the post at all.

    Also, about your "negative effects":

    Those are the effects of depression(give or take a few).

    You were depressed, you started smoking, it made it even worse, and here you are now. Probably still depressed inside, but hopefully finally accepting that. The world is a lot bigger than LMU, TRUST ME.

    BTW:

    I don't mean to sound like an asshole, I'm just laying it all on the table for you. I could be completely wrong about everything I said, because I don't know you, but maybe you will pull a little insight out of this post.

    In response to this:

    "Based on observations of myself and my close weed-smoking friends, marijuana slowly creeps up on you, and before you know it, you aren't who you thought you were or who you want to be. I really think huge potheads would be doing themselves a favor by asking themselves, "Is this truly the person I want to be?"

    Listen. Smoking all day, every day, is a lifestyle change. Lifestyle changes CHANGE WHO YOU ARE. That's why they are called lifestyle changes. Its your conscious decision to change your life, by smoking every day, that is what actually catalyzes the changes.

    All of my close friends, who have known me since WAY before I started smoking, tell me that I haven't changed at all. Why? Because I do the same shit I've always done from 9am - 9pm, except for when I smoke, usually by myself, at night.

    Significance: It hasn't changed my life, or creeped up on me(lol), at all.

    I don't tell people I smoke, and they would never notice. I enjoy it, my life is enriched, and life goes on.

    Who Am I?

    College student.
    Self-employed, and own an IT consulting company.
    On my way, to *hopefully* expanding my business(booo recession), and some day a family and kids.

    Have my dreams been ruined by pot? You be the judge. As far as I'm concerned I'm right on track .

    PEACE OUT

    Does anyone else find the irony in this person calling me a "know-it-all."

    Let's take a minute to reflect on some of his comments in his post:

    "You say you spent 1/2 a semester baked? That doesn't seem very smart to me. You were responsible for choosing to smoke for that period of time. Marijuana didn't entice you. You most likely have other psychological issues that need sorting out, and your outlet for your problems was marijuana at that time.

    You attempted to persuade others to smoke? I'm assuming you peer-pressured them? Another clue you might be in a frat. If you are consciously peer-pressuring people like that, see a therapist. Bully, anyone?


    I really hope this isn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if in 2 years you end up with a vicodin addiction, because that is what "people were doing" at the time, and you were just a psychological mess, so you abused it. For your sake, don't let this abuse problem manifest itself in another drug, activity, [insert commonly abused thing here]."


    I think that is all I need to say...

    oh wait- there's more! Your vicodin prediction was proven incorrect when I dislocated my knee and was given loads of vicodin. As soon as the pain went away, I never thought about vicodin again.
    The cool thing about smoking is it turns wherever you are into the perfect spot in the world.

  23. #73
    pyrar is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Aug-24-2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by FindingTim View Post
    Does anyone else find the irony in this person calling me a "know-it-all."

    Let's take a minute to reflect on some of his comments in his post:

    "You say you spent 1/2 a semester baked? That doesn't seem very smart to me. You were responsible for choosing to smoke for that period of time. Marijuana didn't entice you. You most likely have other psychological issues that need sorting out, and your outlet for your problems was marijuana at that time.

    You attempted to persuade others to smoke? I'm assuming you peer-pressured them? Another clue you might be in a frat. If you are consciously peer-pressuring people like that, see a therapist. Bully, anyone?


    I really hope this isn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if in 2 years you end up with a vicodin addiction, because that is what "people were doing" at the time, and you were just a psychological mess, so you abused it. For your sake, don't let this abuse problem manifest itself in another drug, activity, [insert commonly abused thing here]."


    I think that is all I need to say...

    oh wait- there's more! Your vicodin prediction was proven incorrect when I dislocated my knee and was given loads of vicodin. As soon as the pain went away, I never thought about vicodin again.
    I'm glad the vicodin wasn't a problem for you, opiates can be very addictive. Also, I didn't predict you would abuse vicodin, I said "I wouldn't be surprised". This assertion was based on the original post, in which you described yourself as an unstable addict. Was I way off base?

    And you quoted some of my post...where was your reflection(it helps to be explicit)?

    By the way, you in a frat? You never answered that question, and at this point, I'm just curious.

  24. #74
    pyrar is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Aug-24-2007
    Posts
    4
    Sorry to post again.

    I wish you the best with your life and obviously I'm being the "asshole", but please understand everything I'm saying is for your own benefit. I'm not a know it all, I'd like to think I am in some things, but that's besides the point. I've seen a lot of friends have drug problems and so I've seen what it can do.

    Also, you remind me of my best friend, who I've known for 15 years. He is an EXTREMELY intelligent person, but sometimes doesn't have complete focus. I noticed every 6 months to 1 year he would be a little bit different. Same person, but at one time he was smoking pot way too much. The next semester it was drinking too much. I'm not saying that's how you are, I just got that vibe from you. He was also in a frat(sigma chi), but he got over that. Point is, people change, they are continuously growing, and that's great.

    Anyway, good luck to you, no hard feelings, and have fun in college!

  25. #75
    FindingTim is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-18-2006
    Posts
    175
    I appreciate that you took the time to respond. Some of your assumptions are way off the mark (I am not in a frat), but some of what you say is reasonable and applicable to the situation. My plan, if anyone cares, is to smoke once a day at most, and only in the evening.


    btw, thanks to everyone for feedback (both positive and negative)
    The cool thing about smoking is it turns wherever you are into the perfect spot in the world.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •