Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Smoking Weed Stop You Dreaming?

SketchyTom is offline Registered+

Wink Does Smoking Weed Stop You Dreaming?

This Might be a silly question but i havnt had a dream in agez untill i went a week without smoking

i told my m8s about this and came to the conclusion its because of smoking weed regulaly

just wandering whats your thoughts

mattisnotonfire is offline Registered+
    I don't mean to sound like a c**t but...

It's actually a common misconception that some people don't dream. We ALL dream. It's just that we forget about it the minute we wake up because it's just our subconscious.

I only remember REALLY vivid dreams.
    Once upon a time there was a Bear
    and a Bee who lived in a wood and
    were the best of friends. All Summer
    long the Bee collected nectar from
    morning to night while the Bear lay
    on his back basking in the long grass.

When Winter came the Bear
    realised he had nothing to eat and
    thought to himself 'I hope that busy
    little Bee will share some of his
    honey with me'. But the Bee was
    nowhere to be found - he had died of
    a stress induced coronary disease.

lol i guess that answers my question

cheers m8

Dream of the iris is offline Registered+
    It's true. Though scientists haven't figured out the reason for dreaming, if you don't dream you die. There was this video I saw a while back about this guy who couldn't physically experience REM sleep, which is where the most vivid dreams occur, and eventually he was hospitalized and died within a few months. I suppose it would seem like we don't dream when we smoke pot because it messes with our memories. I mean it's hard enough just to remember a dream sober but to remember a dream after a night of smoking....well that's just madness!
    "Look hard in the mirror. Look at that ghost that stares back at you. Look at that faded spirit that longs to act in this world but cannot because the mind is fearful and holds it back. Placing limits on things, and boundaries everywhere." -Rev

flyingimam is offline Registered+
    here is my take:

I had the same exact question and condition. however I took a psychology class and figured it in there

u have REM sleep and Non-rem sleep. most of the remembered dreams occur in Non-rem sleep. REM sleep is mostly where body really relaxes and rapid eye movements occur

i know science has not reached a conclusion on this yet, but my theory is that when u smoke weed, the chemicals in your system either turn your entire sleep into REM (normally 20-25% of sleep time is REM) or u do go through cycles, but the effect on short term memory makes it almost impossible for us to remember any of the dreams, while they have been taking place.

I have quite a different feeling all over my body when i wake up after a smoking before sleep
    than sober

and i think whats needed to affect the brain n body in such a way is in the bloodstream and body even without immediate smoking before sleep if the person is a regular smoker, it only takes a tiny amount which can circulate/be stored for a while in the body

just what I think, its merely a hypothesis that must be proven
    Whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship, the people can always B brought 2 the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All U have 2 do is tell them they R being attacked & denounce the pacifists 4 lack of patriotism & exposing the country 2 danger. It works the same way in any country.

-Göring, 2nd in command of Hitler

Jingoism is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as "extreme patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy".

theforthdrive is offline Registered+
    I have experienced the same phenomenon. I have gone months without dreaming. But It seems to come and go. Yesterday was baking day, needless to say I sampled a few too many and passed out early. yet, I had the craziest dream. Very exotic and specific! which is strange because all my dreams are always mundane. But I chalked it up to my excitement of my harvest coming down tonight. It seems if the dream is powerful enough you'll remember!
    "Prohibition... goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." -- Abraham Lincoln December, 1840

"I'm not not licking toads" -Homer Simpson

"Focus on what I invest in, got married to marijuana, yeah, and the connect is my best man" -Jadakiss

flyingimam is offline Registered+
    speaking of dreaming has anyone of yall "smoked and gotten high" IN your dreams.

Since i massively cut down my smoking, I had a couple of these dreams with a totally clean body... it was just awesome.

was thinking if its possible for a person to actually focus and meditate to have that kind of dream, there really aint no need for smoking anymore, u can smoke n get high purely on your thoughts in the dreams!

like just anytime u wanna smoke, sit down and meditate/yoga for a little while, n bam!
    Whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship, the people can always B brought 2 the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All U have 2 do is tell them they R being attacked & denounce the pacifists 4 lack of patriotism & exposing the country 2 danger. It works the same way in any country.

-Göring, 2nd in command of Hitler

Jingoism is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as "extreme patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy".

elskeetro is offline Registered+
    i haven't had a memorable dream in a while. I'm an everyday smoker so that could explain it. I've been sober for almost a week now and still no dreams.

About a year ago i would have recurring dreams that i would run into a specific person that i had been avoiding for some time and he seemed to haunt my dreams.

So while i miss my nightly adventures...i'm glad i'm not being haunted anymore.

take it from there...
    Skeet.

Thanks for all the imput

good to know i aint broken with my non dreamy sleepy times lol

VapedG13 is offline Registered+
    My dreams are more vivid and memorible if I havent smoked weed for awhile.....I vape everyday, I still dream but its not memorible or vivid

elskeetro is offline Registered+
    Haha. theres actually an ad in the back of high times that says

"stopped dreaming? Stop smoking or send me money..."

something close to that. it doesn't say what he's selling...just send him money.

haha.
    skeet.

weedmaster is offline Registered+
    i haven't had a vivid dream for ages and they are very rare, i smoke 24/7 and been smoking 25yrs my short term memory is very poor i think thats why i don't remember my dreams unless they are very intense,i can remember my last vivid dream, i was getting chased by a ghost, my shouting woke the mrs up who in the morning asked me what i was dreaming about, if she hadn't had asked as soon as i woke up i might not have rememberd it.
    can't ever remember dreaming of getting high, that would be one dream i would like to remember

JohnnyZ is offline Registered+
    I had a dream a couple nights ago that I was working in an office and Bob Saget was my manager. We pounded orange flavoured Grey Goose and hit on his secretary. I can't make that shit up.

IAmKowalski is offline Registered+
    As several pointed out above, you dream whether you remember your dreams in the morning or not. Personally, I rarely remember my dreams unless my routine or schedule is disrupted. If I take a nap during the day, I usually remember what I was dreaming when I wake. If I have to get up much earlier than usual, I usually remember my dreams. But I don't wake up most mornings with any clear memory of what I dreamed the night before.

I would imagine that your sleep may be slightly disrupted/changed - most likely you would notice things returning to normal if you continued to abstain for longer. Or maybe not. It could make for an interesting experiment.

You might also try smoking as normal, and setting an alarm in the middle of the night to interrupt your sleep. It would be interesting to see if you have a clear memory of what you were dreaming just before your sleep is interrupted as opposed to be woken after a full night's sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmKowalski View Post
    You might also try smoking as normal, and setting an alarm in the middle of the night to interrupt your sleep. It would be interesting to see if you have a clear memory of what you were dreaming just before your sleep is interrupted as opposed to be woken after a full night's sleep.
    That There is some Smart Stuff and i will try out

i aint going to buy anyfin untill friday because i think the sober times will do me some good

i will fill you in when i try it

NextLineIsMine is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingimam View Post
    speaking of dreaming has anyone of yall "smoked and gotten high" IN your dreams.

Since i massively cut down my smoking, I had a couple of these dreams with a totally clean body... it was just awesome.

was thinking if its possible for a person to actually focus and meditate to have that kind of dream, there really aint no need for smoking anymore, u can smoke n get high purely on your thoughts in the dreams!

like just anytime u wanna smoke, sit down and meditate/yoga for a little while, n bam!
    Hah I had a dream where I sat down for breakfast and my mom just put a glass of LSD and a piece of toast in front of me, I remember a feeling of falling into the glass, first time I had a psychedelic dream

rebelbhoy is offline Registered+
    LOL. just seen this post man and its a topic me and afew fellow smokers have had. i dont dream or dont remember any dreams when im smoking (everyday) . but i remember going without any weed for afew days and the dreams were flowing. strange that is!!

IAmKowalski is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelbhoy View Post
    LOL. just seen this post man and its a topic me and afew fellow smokers have had. i dont dream or dont remember any dreams when im smoking (everyday) . but i remember going without any weed for afew days and the dreams were flowing. strange that is!!
    Very interesting.... it could be as simple as sleeping more soundly when smoking. I wonder what the effect MJ might have on PTSD related sleep issues?

AbrandnewL is offline Registered+
    Yeah, I think its a matter of that after you smoke you are burnt out, and you are more tired so you are in a deeper, more relaxed state of sleep..So, the burnt out sleeper experiences more REM sleep..

Just my two cents..

zeitgeist is offline Registered+
    Damn i just had this same convo also. crazy

But yeah like ^ said you are probably more relaxed or something and just dont remember them.
    I dont know if I like remembering my dreams anyways. They are pretty freaky and I rarely enjoy them
    Alchohol = The devil's elixir while MJ = God's herb; It all makes sense
    Always strive "to know, and to search; and to seek out wisdom, and the reasonableness of things." Ecclesiastes 7:25

seattlesmoke247 is offline Registered+
    I smoke every day, have for years.. Shit I pretty much smoke every two hours. Dream almost every night, usually crazy dreams.

Stoner Shadow Wolf is offline Registered+

Short Term Memory, and Dreaming

the reason we are meant to smoke pot, rather the reasons, are many.

one such reason, which pertains to this thread, is short term memory.

We are not supposed to remember our dreams all the time, the reason being that they are there for a purpose, to guide us in life, but remembering them often causes us to apply the lessons inappropriately.

by temporarily forgetting our dreams, we are better able to recognize the areas of our life which dreams become important. this is also called Deja Vu.

We never forget our dreams completely, however because they werent physically real, and because we forget them, they get stored differently in the memory, only cropping up when the situation(s) in life call for them.

When we remember our dreams, we ponder on about them until we truly forget them and they become useless. OR we apply them to the wrong areas of our life.
    Quote Originally Posted by veggii View Post
    as there are no pms on this website
    The earth is my bible, the harvest, my Christ. God is the life within me and all things outside me.

Markass is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by SketchyTom View Post
    This Might be a silly question but i havnt had a dream in agez untill i went a week without smoking

i told my m8s about this and came to the conclusion its because of smoking weed regulaly

same thing I've figured out..
    Pictures and information posted under this username are duplicated, and should in no way be taken seriously, as it is only a joke.(period)

Ron Paul is freedom

"If Tyranny and Oppression Come to this Land, it Will be in the Guise of Fighting a Foreign Enemy" - James Madison

"What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country!"

weedmaster is offline Registered+
    this is weird since replying to this thread a few days ago, i have had 2 vivid dreams since.

rockyraccoon is offline Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by SketchyTom View Post

I get the same thing. When I smoke I don't remember my dreams - but after stopping for a few days - I remember them very vividly... I haven't smoked in over a week and the last few nights I'm remembering the craziest dreams...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast