Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What is meant by "commercial" weed?

  1. #1
    NGC1300 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug-07-2008
    Posts
    34

    What is meant by "commercial" weed?

    I'm assuming this means imported????

    I paid $50 for 1/4oz, and while it gets me high, it just doesn't seem as euphoric as some of the stuff I'd been getting from a buddy of mine.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan-29-2006
    Posts
    6,689
    your stash is an example of 'commercial'-grade pot ... it's lower-priced, and 'average' potency, etc ... that's all it tends to mean, 'average' street-obtained pot ... usually grown and distributed in bulk ...

  3. #3
    CaptainDank's Avatar
    CaptainDank is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug-27-2007
    Posts
    129
    commerical is not the same as imported. Commercial usually refers to regs or mids grown in mexico and packed into bricks. Imported weed can be some of the best, especially when it comes from our neighbors to the north
    smoke more weed.

  4. #4
    Its a Plant's Avatar
    Its a Plant is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov-12-2005
    Posts
    4,513
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDank View Post
    Commercial usually refers to regs or mids grown in mexico and packed into bricks.
    What I came in here to post.
    - - "Well it's a plant, but it can't, grow freely."



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct-12-2007
    Posts
    308
    weed thats on a commercial!DUH! lol jk I have no idea.



    keep on tokin
    + =


    Tha Hottest Under Tha Sun

    No One on tha Corner has Swagger Like Moi

    Cuz U Ain't Like Tha Rest When U Kickin it Wit tha Best

    Don't Panic It's Organic
    lol

  6. #6
    IAmKowalski's Avatar
    IAmKowalski is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-12-2008
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by NGC1300 View Post
    I'm assuming this means imported????

    I paid $50 for 1/4oz, and while it gets me high, it just doesn't seem as euphoric as some of the stuff I'd been getting from a buddy of mine.
    What is available depends on the region of course, but in my area commercial is synonymous with mexi-brick. I just picked up 1/2 OZ for $70 (which is a little high, I am used to $60 or $65 for a half of middies) of stuff that doesn't taste bad and does have a real good high, but is so dry and uber-compressed that it resembles green-brown particle board packed with seeds.... or cannaba-granola perhaps.

    For reference good "nug", be it Widow, AK-47, Blueberry or what-have-you usually runs around $50 or $55 an eighth around here.

  7. #7
    theforthdrive's Avatar
    theforthdrive is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-18-2008
    Posts
    386
    You didnt put you location so its hard to tell. Its different from place to place. In the SW its mexican low grade crap. North its mid-grade/ outdoor BC buds. In N. cali. its more than likely indoor large operation buds. LOL, mexican dirt weed couldnt even get sold in cali or north.
    "Prohibition... goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." -- Abraham Lincoln December, 1840

    "I'm not not licking toads" -Homer Simpson

    "Focus on what I invest in, got married to marijuana, yeah, and the connect is my best man" -Jadakiss

  8. #8
    roninwithnoname's Avatar
    roninwithnoname is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-11-2008
    Posts
    50
    While I'm sure others from my area will disagree, here in South GA/North FLA "commercial" weed is the same as "headies" or "name brand" (i.e. high quality bud of a specific, identifiable strain, usually blueberry or kush). However, it seems it typically refers to Mexibrick elsewhere.

  9. #9
    dragonrider is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep-18-2007
    Posts
    2,784
    Around here, it's weed that interrupts your smoke session every few minutes to try to sell you car insurance, laundry detergent, or non-prescription pain reliever. It's really annoying.
    More of the same: Renger's Rantings

  10. #10
    thcbongman's Avatar
    thcbongman is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-19-2004
    Posts
    5,121
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    Around here, it's weed that interrupts your smoke session every few minutes to try to sell you car insurance, laundry detergent, or non-prescription pain reliever. It's really annoying.
    *smoke* damn caveman *smoke* I know tricks are for kids *smoke*
    Happiness only real when shared

  11. #11
    Gotabud is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2010
    Posts
    10
    This is the #2 listing when google searching for "commercial weed," so I figure it's better to resurrect this old thread for the benefit of everyone than making a new one just for me .

    There are a lot of different definitions I've heard for commercial weed.. As people in this thread have said, it's "mid-grade" brick weed. But honestly, just from a logical standpoint, why would anyone grow "mid-grade" strains when they know they can't sell them for as much? It doesn't make sense. The same applies to "KB" (as it's called here) or "nug" being a "name" brand (Northern Lights, White Widow, etc), versus commercial being a random strain (why wouldn't everyone just grow highest yield, highest potency strains?).

    I've also been told that the difference between commercial and KB is that KB is only buds, whereas commercial is mostly leaves and stems. Now, THIS makes sense if people want to claim that KB truly is worth several times as much money, but I can't find anything online that confirms this.

    Also, I want to say that I've heard market prices that sound way too high.. Where I'm from, $60 is the going rate for an oz of commercial. KB is a ripoff, IMO, at like $15-20/g. I've actually always considered KB a ripoff, because people are convinced the difference is the strain, and strain potency doesn't vary more than possibly a great strain doubling the potency of a failed one. Paying 10x as much for 2x the potency is a ripoff, period. Buds vs leaves would change my opinion, though.

    Adding to the confusion, "bud" is a common slang term for any kind of cannabis, commercial or not.
    Last edited by Gotabud; Mar-17-2010 at 21:45.

  12. #12
    Faddenator's Avatar
    Faddenator is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-04-2008
    Posts
    467
    IMO, Commercial weed is any weed grown in massive quantities and is therefore widely available. Quality has nothing to do with it - but most of the time weed grown in this fashion is usually not the best quality.
    When in doubt, fill it out. :CanCom Troubleshooting Form

    Any/all posts made by the person(s) under this username are 100% fictional and are for the purpose of online role play. Any/all images/videos associated with this username are compiled from various locations on the internet and are in no way connected to person(s) under this username. Therefore, any form of media associated with this username should be regarded as solely fictional and for entertainment purposes only.

  13. #13
    Gotabud is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Faddenator View Post
    IMO, Commercial weed is any weed grown in massive quantities and is therefore widely available. Quality has nothing to do with it - but most of the time weed grown in this fashion is usually not the best quality.
    Are you saying KB/nug is likely the same or could even possibly be worse quality than cannabis sold as "commercial"? And are you also saying that both consist of mostly/only buds?

    This is an important question to answer, IMO, because even the most "seasoned" "pros" disagree about this, and if they're wrong, they're complete idiots who embarrass themselves. For instance, l33t smokers who speak of the "real deal," like there is "one hit shit," when anyone who knows anything knows that potency can't even really vary that much. If I was one of those idiots who dealers exploit and con into really believing they're receiving "one hit shit," or that their "nug" was anywhere near worth as much more than commercial as they paid, I would want someone to tell me the truth.

  14. #14
    Gotabud is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2010
    Posts
    10
    You know what, I don't even see why the same wouldn't apply for people who think they're grading weed. It seems like the grade is synonymous with the potency, so if someone says "mid-grade," they mean mid-potency. But the difference between mid-potency and high-potency strains (15% and 25%) means you'd have to take an extra 2/3 hit of mid-grade per one hit of high-grade to obtain the same amount of THC. That is NOT very much, insignificant if you ask me.

    So can someone please enlighten me on what I'm missing? The forums at cannabis.com would be the last place I would expect to find ignorance about cannabis..
    Last edited by Gotabud; Mar-18-2010 at 14:12.

  15. #15
    Gotabud is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2010
    Posts
    10
    So I guess no one really knows what the difference is between commercial and nug, besides the obvious, that one is bricked and that one is supposedly higher "quality," where quality is completely subjective and does not refer to potency.

    In that case, ignorant stoners are just being exploited and greedy dealers are just being deceptive. I don't like this at all... -.O;

  16. #16
    sarah louise's Avatar
    sarah louise is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-15-2007
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    Around here, it's weed that interrupts your smoke session every few minutes to try to sell you car insurance, laundry detergent, or non-prescription pain reliever. It's really annoying.
    When that happens, I usually just walk out to the kitchen and make a cup of coffee. Doesn't happen often though as I don't do commercial product very often.
    Typing does not equal activism.

  17. #17
    RelaxaBIT is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2010
    Posts
    23
    I would rather smoke nothing at all if all I can get is that "back-yard boogie" or the "brown-frown" seriously, as hard workin as mexicans are you would figure they would do more than just scatter a bunch of seeds around and then just pick it,piss on it,spray shit on it, and then brick it up to ship out. Be careful with that brown shit because who knows what kind of chemicals and shit that are on it as well. sometimes it doesn't even smell like bud. I remember smelling some stuff before that smelled like straight embalming fluid. talk about gross.

    If my bud isn't neon green with crystals, I don't want it. ( with the exception of chocolate thai, and the afghan buds. though they are dark, they are still very crystally and potent)

  18. #18
    RelaxaBIT is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotabud View Post
    You know what, I don't even see why the same wouldn't apply for people who think they're grading weed. It seems like the grade is synonymous with the potency, so if someone says "mid-grade," they mean mid-potency. But the difference between mid-potency and high-potency strains (15% and 25%) means you'd have to take an extra 2/3 hit of mid-grade per one hit of high-grade to obtain the same amount of THC. That is NOT very much, insignificant if you ask me.

    So can someone please enlighten me on what I'm missing? The forums at cannabis.com would be the last place I would expect to find ignorance about cannabis..
    in my opinion and personal experience it's not about achieving the "same amount of thc" it's the type of high. with mids, you can take as many hits as you want, but you still wont get that type of high that Hydro or high potency nugs will give you.

    Low grade/reggie: usually can get you high, but is more of a tired/dirty high. You do have to smoke more than a bowl or whatever, this is why most smoke blunts with this weed. usually a brown/dark color with stringy leaves and usually a not so great odor. usually around 25 dollars a quarter or less. (and it's always bricked up)

    Mid grade/Middies: will usually get you a better high than the reggie, and actually tastes decent and looks alright. most of the time it's a good color green and a good smell. It gets you about a "medium" high in my opinon. a big reason why it's called Mid-grade. the best of both worlds because it can be smoked in a pipe,or blunt. (this is what most of everyday smokers get if you can't grown your own or you can't afford to constantly be buying dro.) best bang for your buck in most peoples opinion. Anywhere from 40 to 60 dollars a quarter. (can be either bricked up or mid nugs)

    High Grade/Hydro,dank,etc: This is the bud with the most THC in it, and normally looks the prettiest. the bud will never be bricked up,and will be nugs. The high is a uppier,cleaner high and you stay higher longer. Most of the time, there will be no seeds in this bud and the smell is wayyyyyy more potent. Prices range from 90 to 120 dollars a Quarter here in Raleigh,nc and in Virginia.
    Last edited by RelaxaBIT; Mar-20-2010 at 09:14.

  19. #19
    Gotabud is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2010
    Posts
    10
    Okay, you say that nug is the cannabis with the most THC in it, but logic already shows that mass growers are almost surely NOT growing a strain with the lowest potency and are actually probably growing strains of mid- or high-potency. At the same time, people who are interested in the type of high are not necessarily interested in the most THC, otherwise they would all be growing the highest potency strains ONLY, which they are not. So nug is actually not always the bud with the most THC in it. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I'm trying really hard to understand this..

    Also, people seem to correlate hydroponically grown cannabis with THC potency, which is also not necessarily true. It can be assumed that more care was given hydro, but the growing medium being water or dirt alone isn't enough to change anything. All the extra care would mean is that the cannabis was nurtured into the high end of its potency range (15-20%), which is equally as obtainable in soil. You can't insult commercial by saying it was grown in the ground.

    In my opinion, the high probably doesn't vary as much as people think. It's mostly just the placebo effect and prejudice. It's kind of strange to me that the only thing people know about the different grades of weed are what they look, smell, and taste like, the high they're supposed to give, and how much they cost.
    Last edited by Gotabud; Mar-20-2010 at 13:39.

  20. #20
    superskunk1's Avatar
    superskunk1 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec-22-2009
    Posts
    186
    I always thought that commercial weed was like big bud, rocklock strains like that, that produce large amounts and are mostly used for commercial growers.

    For like SOG?

    But if its that mexican weed that gives me headaches than i dont know why im about to buy Rocklock when it says its for commercial growers. So i would assume big yields
    I take steps, one L at a time

    Grow log

  21. #21
    redtails's Avatar
    redtails is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-09-2009
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotabud View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I'm trying really hard to understand this..
    The "nug" as you refer to it is better tasting, smelling, feeling weed than commercial. It's been handled better after harvest, trimmed better, usually grown better with better genetics. If you've ever grown, or really even smoked much at all you can tell...Because of the amount of time and care it takes to produce the dank, a lot of mass growers settle for lower grade final product because it's not worth the effort to make it better.

    I don't think you understand how little it takes to turn potentially great bud into almost garbage weed. When growing on a large scale there's bound to be mistakes like hermaphrodites, improper harvesting/drying times, little to no cure, damaged trichomes from rough/hasty handling, etc. Just because it's a high potency strain doesn't mean that it'll be good for any grower.

    The way you put it is like calling a steak a steak, no matter what cut or how fresh it is. If you can taste, smell, feel, and see the difference then why don't you accept it? If you can't then I'm sorry for you because it's obvious when you get the good stuff.

    I'd rather buy an oz of some kb than 5 or 6 oz of brick for the same price: it smokes way smoother & tastes better, doesn't smell like cat piss or something awful like that, takes a lot less to get to the sweet spot, the high lasts at least an hour as opposed to 15 minutes or so, has way better "bag appeal", and is way less likely to have unknown additives. It feels a lot cleaner and nicer without the stress headaches. Not to mention the smokable weight per oz...seeds weigh like 1/6th of a gram last time I checked so with 30+ seeds in an oz of brick you're only getting maybe 23 grams minus the stems if you're lucky. Plus at least with me I'm less tollerant of the better grade, meaning it keeps doing it's job instead of having to smoke more each time to achieve the same effect.

    I hope this helps to educate you on the economics of the trade and why better quality is worth more...
    Last edited by redtails; Mar-20-2010 at 15:41.
    Take everything said with a grain of salt, nobody knows everything and everybody knows nothing.

  22. #22
    RelaxaBIT is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by redtails View Post
    The "nug" as you refer to it is better tasting, smelling, feeling weed than commercial. It's been handled better after harvest, trimmed better, usually grown better with better genetics. If you've ever grown, or really even smoked much at all you can tell...Because of the amount of time and care it takes to produce the dank, a lot of mass growers settle for lower grade final product because it's not worth the effort to make it better.

    I don't think you understand how little it takes to turn potentially great bud into almost garbage weed. When growing on a large scale there's bound to be mistakes like hermaphrodites, improper harvesting/drying times, little to no cure, damaged trichomes from rough/hasty handling, etc. Just because it's a high potency strain doesn't mean that it'll be good for any grower.

    The way you put it is like calling a steak a steak, no matter what cut or how fresh it is. If you can taste, smell, feel, and see the difference then why don't you accept it? If you can't then I'm sorry for you because it's obvious when you get the good stuff.

    I'd rather buy an oz of some kb than 5 or 6 oz of brick for the same price: it smokes way smoother & tastes better, doesn't smell like cat piss or something awful like that, takes a lot less to get to the sweet spot, the high lasts at least an hour as opposed to 15 minutes or so, has way better "bag appeal", and is way less likely to have unknown additives. It feels a lot cleaner and nicer without the stress headaches. Not to mention the smokable weight per oz...seeds weigh like 1/6th of a gram last time I checked so with 30+ seeds in an oz of brick you're only getting maybe 23 grams minus the stems if you're lucky. Plus at least with me I'm less tollerant of the better grade, meaning it keeps doing it's job instead of having to smoke more each time to achieve the same effect.

    I hope this helps to educate you on the economics of the trade and why better quality is worth more...

    THANK YOU BRO!! Exactly... I was speaking from personal experience, not "research"

  23. #23
    RelaxaBIT is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotabud View Post
    Okay, you say that nug is the cannabis with the most THC in it, but logic already shows that mass growers are almost surely NOT growing a strain with the lowest potency and are actually probably growing strains of mid- or high-potency. At the same time, people who are interested in the type of high are not necessarily interested in the most THC, otherwise they would all be growing the highest potency strains ONLY, which they are not. So nug is actually not always the bud with the most THC in it. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I'm trying really hard to understand this..

    Also, people seem to correlate hydroponically grown cannabis with THC potency, which is also not necessarily true. It can be assumed that more care was given hydro, but the growing medium being water or dirt alone isn't enough to change anything. All the extra care would mean is that the cannabis was nurtured into the high end of its potency range (15-20%), which is equally as obtainable in soil. You can't insult commercial by saying it was grown in the ground.

    In my opinion, the high probably doesn't vary as much as people think. It's mostly just the placebo effect and prejudice. It's kind of strange to me that the only thing people know about the different grades of weed are what they look, smell, and taste like, the high they're supposed to give, and how much they cost.
    dude, really?? you think someone would pay up to to 75% more for some bud that gave them the same high they coulda got with some schwag? please bro, give me a break... read my mans post above me a couple spots. he hits it dead on. I never said anything about bud being grown in soil as not yielding as much THC as bud grown in a hydro set. It boils down to this.. Brick weed is for pure profit, yes it will get you high, but to the everday or often smoker, it's a waste of money. compare that to some high grade kill, was most likely grown by someone who is also a smoker and enjoys the high quality of the product as well as a little profit. It's just like anything you grow, the better care you take while growing it the better product.. If you ust go throw some seeds in the ground and expect to yield high potency THC without an care at all you are sadly mistaken. therefore the brick weed is pretty much all profit because nature did all the work.

  24. #24
    RelaxaBIT is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2010
    Posts
    23
    also, wtf is a l33t smoker? that's probably the gayest shit i've ever heard. some high school bullshit

  25. #25
    Gotabud is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by redtails View Post
    The "nug" as you refer to it is better tasting, smelling, feeling weed than commercial. It's been handled better after harvest, trimmed better, usually grown better with better genetics. If you've ever grown, or really even smoked much at all you can tell...Because of the amount of time and care it takes to produce the dank, a lot of mass growers settle for lower grade final product because it's not worth the effort to make it better.

    I don't think you understand how little it takes to turn potentially great bud into almost garbage weed. When growing on a large scale there's bound to be mistakes like hermaphrodites, improper harvesting/drying times, little to no cure, damaged trichomes from rough/hasty handling, etc. Just because it's a high potency strain doesn't mean that it'll be good for any grower.

    The way you put it is like calling a steak a steak, no matter what cut or how fresh it is. If you can taste, smell, feel, and see the difference then why don't you accept it? If you can't then I'm sorry for you because it's obvious when you get the good stuff.
    It isn't 5-6oz:1oz; it's 8-9oz:1oz*
    Also, it isn't calling a steak a steak. It's paying $15 for a Filet Mignon from an "okay" restaurant instead of $150 for a steak that may only be twice as good from a top-of-the-line restaurant. Even if it clearly tastes better, has been taken care of, is more emotionally satisfying, it still isn't really worth anywhere near the money, and the people who choose to buy it will always be grossly overpaying. The difference is that nug is sold at a market value that is supposedly at least somewhat worth it.

    So have we all agreed that "garbage weed" is, at worst, 10% potency (as described by seedbanks; I don't really know what exactly that means), and that, on average, nug will probably only double that (20%)?

    I'd rather buy an oz of some kb than 5 or 6 oz of brick for the same price: it smokes way smoother & tastes better, doesn't smell like cat piss or something awful like that, takes a lot less to get to the sweet spot, the high lasts at least an hour as opposed to 15 minutes or so, has way better "bag appeal", and is way less likely to have unknown additives. It feels a lot cleaner and nicer without the stress headaches. Not to mention the smokable weight per oz...seeds weigh like 1/6th of a gram last time I checked so with 30+ seeds in an oz of brick you're only getting maybe 23 grams minus the stems if you're lucky. Plus at least with me I'm less tollerant of the better grade, meaning it keeps doing it's job instead of having to smoke more each time to achieve the same effect.
    Assuming THC content was relatively the same, the highs should have very similar durations, unless you can identify any other specific reasons to suggest otherwise.

    What do you mean by "stress headaches"? I would assume that if commercially grown crop gave you headaches over nug, it was probably the "additives" that you spoke of.

    Smokable weight per oz might actually be lower in nug, even considering the seeds in commercial, since the strong odor and sometimes even stickiness indicates it wasn't properly dried.

    I hope this helps to educate you on the economics of the trade and why better quality is worth more...
    I'm trying to prove that the difference in highs is mostly just the placebo effect. Yes, I felt like I could tell the difference between commercial and nug, but I was also always informed before coming to that conclusion, so I was expecting a difference.

    Also, speaking from experience is deceptive for the very reason I'm trying to prove. YOU are not a credible source, because you are under the impression there really IS a difference and therefore are far more likely to fall victim to the placebo effect. (You = general audience)

    Quote Originally Posted by RelaxaBIT View Post
    also, wtf is a l33t smoker? that's probably the gayest shit i've ever heard. some high school bullshit
    A l33t smoker is a "seasoned pro," a "veteran," etc., who takes on an elitist attitude. Anyone who claims to be a l33t smoker better know what they're talking about or admit when they're unsure, otherwise they'll look like a fool when they're proven wrong. I guess experience hasn't taught them as much as they thought . Also, do your math right. It isn't paying 75% more... It's paying 750-900% more...
    Last edited by Gotabud; Mar-20-2010 at 18:24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •