Thread: Mason Jars, Preventing mold.

Sentinel is offline Registered+

Mason Jars, Preventing mold.

I will be keeping some weed in a mason jar for a couple months, and wondering are these jars completely airtight? I wont be drying buds before putting them in, so any tips on preventing mold? I have heard to open the lid once in a while and turn buds around to allow air circulation. I live in a dry climate and wont expose it to heat or light. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

NextGen is offline Registered+
    freeze it
    I tried to imagine that Amsterdam is my home. I asked myself things like: Do I really want to move here? How would my life change? Are psychedelic mushrooms legal?

70% of Americans believe President Bush is doing a poor job in the white house while the other 30% believe we once rode dinosaurs to church.

And ive heard too much conflicting evidence of what freezing does..so im not going to freeze

Beeblebrox.420 is offline Registered+
    Sit the open mason jar(s) with the weed in them in a shallow pan of water and boil. Make sure to keep adding water as the level drops, and allow it to boil for about 20 minutes, give or take. Pull from the heat, make sure the lid seals are well seated, and then close them up tightly. Once they cool, you can put them away for storage. This is basically the same process used for any basic canning. The heat kills the mold spores, bacteria and other nasties, plus it produces a partial vacuum to keep the contents fresh, once the air inside cools down.
    "ATTENTION: Due to limits on my patience, I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow's not looking too good, either."

nuggetgirl is offline Registered+
    I live in the midwest where I can my veggies from my vegetable garden. The process beeblebrox is talking about is what I do. I know that fruit, veggies, and meat will last forever once it's canned. I keep my canned items in my tornado shelter, something like a basement, where it's cool. If you do this, your weed will last forever. As for another idea, get yourself a lock box and put your weed inside. Bury it in your yard, I've done this before, and after several months my weed was still moist and fresh. (Not mildewed).
    "I became insane
    with long intervals
    of horrible sanity."
    -Edgar Allen Poe

hoodedclum is offline Registered+
    mason jars will be fine for around year, dunno why anyone would need to keep pot much longer than that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodedclum
    mason jars will be fine for around year...
    Hell of a lot longer than that. I've heard of stuff being kept in mason jars for decades without spoiling.
    "ATTENTION: Due to limits on my patience, I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow's not looking too good, either."

hoodedclum is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeblebrox.420
    Hell of a lot longer than that. I've heard of stuff being kept in mason jars for decades without spoiling.

cool man, i didnt realise you could store pot for that long .. so some of the stuff we're toking today could be from way back when, i guess .. mad.

Yeah, as long as you keep out the oxygen, you can keep stuff pretty fresh almost indefinitely. The taste may suffer some over the long term, but the potency will largely remain intact.

and what about a pickle jar, and/or baby food jars? would they be adequate?, and wouldn't the boiling method cause heat which causes bacteria?

NoosaHeads is offline Registered+
    Light and Moisture/air are your worst enemys..

I keep mine in Glass Jars But in a Verry Dark Place..
    I also Vaccume seal wich Makes Storage alot Easier..
    He who laughs last.. .Thikns slowest....

rhino44 is offline Registered+
    i may not understand but u say your going to put fresh buds in a jar and you dont want them to mold? u have to dry them somehow before u jar them even if their not totally dry u have to open them for at least 20 min. or so a day to let out the "sweat". dont cook your bud it fucks it up. try a water cure this can be done in a few days. go to overgrows dryin/curing section. peace

Of cours i dry them first....

I have a small heater in the dry area so it only takes 4 days for the stems to snap..
    I also Run slits down the stems with a razorblade.
    wich also cuts dry time by 20%..

and then Yes Once the stems "Snap" and the buds are popcorn dry..
    I place them in Glass Airtight Jars In a drak place for No less than 4 weeks..

Then I take the Buds out of the Glass and Vaccume seal them..
    and put em back in storage till there needed...

Im Chunked this morning so I hope this Makes more sence than my previous Post...

del... is offline Registered+
    mason jars are opened for short periods only during the cure (and removing whatever is needed for the bowl)...other than that there's no need to do it afterwards. i keep mine stored in jars in the fridge and have never had mold probs...but i have gotten mold in jars when kept outside the fridge too long before the cure finished (iow, it was still a bit moist and the closed jar only added to the mold prob).

to sum it up...i suggest storing in canning jars, inside the fridge after the cure is finished.

but will puttin bud thats not dried, mold in a jar? what do you do to prevent this or do you have to dry weed which i dont want to do ill probly be storing it for like a month 2 at the most

yes it will..

I have had jars frost up with moisture and I have had to leave the lid off the Jar in my dry room till the moisture is gone...

I strongly reccomend you dry the Bud properly first..
    I have seen Bud dried On Paper in a sock draw before.
    so you dont have to hang it.
    But Its Best their dry before your JAR it....

but isnt there problems with dry weed? i always thought that when weed was fresh and sticky was when it was best and when its dry it sucks

My weed has been dried and Cured for over 12 weeks now...

and even though its dry It still Verry sticky you cant chop up a bud without scrping the scissors...
    and thats how it pretty much stays...

how much weight would the bud lose this is another big problem because if i am selling twice as much weed when its dry as it was before thats no good

rhino44 is offline Registered+
    nobody will buy wet weed u cant smoke it wet. u have to dry it. it loses about 2/3 of its weight or more when dried. if u tried to sell me wet weed at normal price for the weight i would laugh at u. after its dried it isnt like dust or anything its still fresh and sticky.

ohhhk i was super stoned for most of this thread so im not getting this straight from a plant its probly alredy been cured then cuz im gettin it from a dealer. that would mean it goes straight into the jar then i think