Cannabis.com

Thread: Question of the Day: Is THC Water Soluble?

beachguy in thongs is offline Registered+

Question of the Day: Is THC Water Soluble?

I found this at overgrow.com.

kaljukajakas || title:|| ||author:kaljukajakas|| ||forum:8||
    Normal dextrin is easy to make at home (heat starch in an oven), cyclodextrins are made using special enzymes or bacteria. I doubt they're are used much for generic applications... But if you want to experiment you could start with something as simple as sugar or glucose to enhance the water solubility of THC: like dissolves like (water is very polar, syrup is less so). Adding surfactants would be the easiest way but I doubt anyone wants foam in their lungs

Dissolving the THC in a bit of alcohol before mixing it with a cyclodextrin solution would be a good idea. Better still, make a concentrated 2:1 cyclodextrin to THC solution in alcohol and then add water. Cyclodextrins might be too insoluble in alcohol though for this to be practical. Additives stabilize a solution, getting stuff to dissolve in the first place is the difficult bit. Shaking a blob of honey oil to get it to dissolve will, of course, take forever.

I doubt this approach will be easy to implement. Beta-cyclodextrins (best suited for THC-like molecules) are not very soluble and since at most one cyclodextrin molecule will complex with one THC molecule the amount of water to be inhaled might be too great. But perhaps you could coax a THC molecule or two into a gamma-cyclodextrin ring. That might work, but this really is too complex stuff for speculation. God knows what the formation constants are...

Weird, I distinctly remember reading somewhere that the solubility of THC is ~100mg/100cc not ~0.1mg as it actually is.

end of quote--------

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
    Chemical name (-)-(6aR,10aR)-6,6,9-trimethyl-
    3-pentyl-6a,7,8,10a-tetrahydro-
    6H-benzo[c]chromen-1-ol
    Chemical formula C21H30O2
    Molecular mass 314.46 g/mol
    Boiling point 200 C
    Solubility 2.8 g/l (water, 23 C)
    CAS number 1972-08-3
    Last edited by beachguy in thongs; Nov-19-2005 at 11:26.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

Erm... that would be too long and complicated to read.

But thanks
    Skyhighatrist
    4:19 Got a minute?

robert42 is offline Registered+
    so is THC water soluble?
    Why is marijuana not legal? Why is marijuana not legal?
    It's a natural plant that grows in the dirt.
    Do you know what's not natural?
    80 year old dudes with hard-ons. That's not natural.
    But we got pills for that.
    We're dedicating all our medical resources to keeping the old guys erect,
    but we're putting people in jail for something that grows in the dirt?

GONE but hopefully not forgotton

Reefer Rogue is offline Registered+
    No, i'm pretty sure it's not.
    PEACE

'Why should one be judged by the colour of their skin, instead of the qualities they show from deep within?' - Peter Tosh

If they dont instantly know what you are talking about just walk away.
    Kraloth:
    http://boards.cannabis.com/recreatio...rger-then.html

Nullific is offline Banned
    No. The above article appears to be about increasing the water solubility of THC. The reason for this is that low solubility of THC in water hinders its applications as a pharmaceutical.
    For example if one wanted to inject THC for any reason it would have to be made soluble in water.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

It is somewhat soluble.

Drinking bong water will produce minimal psychoactive effect, since THC and other cannabinoids are minimally soluble in water. -Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by beachguy in thongs
    It is somewhat soluble.

Drinking bong water will produce minimal psychoactive effect, since THC and other cannabinoids are minimally soluble in water. -Wikipedia
    Unless it's just a placebo, and the Wikipedia people are gullible
    Skyhighatrist

FunkyMonkey is offline Banned
    Well I wouldnt suggest drinking bong water.
    But thc is water soluable in small amounts. Small enough that it is generally not a recommended method of extraction/consumption. It depends on your desired results. Many drink tea for pain, nausea and insomnia.
    Remember there are upwards of 60 other cannabinoids in pot so each contributes to the effects you feel when you drink steeped pot tea, or ingest butter, or smoke it.
    Most of the talk is about thc but it is one contributing factor to your high or med value.
    Cannabinoids are more readily soluable in fats so butter is always a favorite for extracting a large majority of active ingredients from even the crappiest of weed.
    This article is more referring to how to prepare a solution to enhance the eventual water solution which isnt really an appeal to anyone looking to ingest.
    I would say that using an enhanced water extraction for smoking oils would be a longer process since the eventual evaporation part of the job is going to be lengthy. Water evaporates at a much slower rate to conventional solvents.
    Either way ita amazing what science can figure out

dustoned is offline Registered+
    i would have simply said yo beach, THC isn't water soluable. but it's alright, mang. people find shit out on their own, and sometimes it's a lot better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by dustoned
    i would have simply said yo beach, THC isn't water soluable. but it's alright, mang. people find shit out on their own, and sometimes it's a lot better that way.
    You tryin'a kill him?!

Lol
    Skyhighatrist

jahjahjahjah is offline Registered+
    no thc is not water soluable, but bongs water pipes ect take out all the pyschoactives in marijuana

THC is slightly water soluble, some of the cannaboids are depleted when it passes through the water, both psychoactive and non-psychoactive cannabinoids. It's a fact I learned before I even knew cannabinoids were something relatively new. I think they were discovered in 1989.

I don't think people read other things that others are writing.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyMonkey
    But thc is water soluable in small amounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by jahjahjahjah
    no thc is not water soluable
    I think someone has to study cannabinoids, I think there's a difference between the total solubility of THC and each and every distinct cannabinoid.

Venhico is offline Registered
    the cannabinoids in marijuana are mildly soluble in water, but if one were to say pass it through cold water, oh say in a water pipe with ice in the water(as pretty much everyone does) it will only absorb a very very minimal amount, and not many people are worried about losing that tiny amount of psychoactive substance, just as you don't recycle smoke you are losing more cannabinoids that way than through a water pipe so really don't worry about it I mean people get high off bongs it is a fact so you really don't have to try and convince people that they don't because no matter what they aren't going to believe you, and you can pass it through whatever you want, it does not effect me or anyone else besides you so man chill out and don't be dwelling on it!

LIP
    LIP is offline Banned
    Can you drag up threads from 2 years ago more????!!!

Well done.

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by robert42 View Post
    so is THC water soluble?
    ...mine isn't...it fact you can barely dissolve it in....70% Isopropyl Alcohol....

no, its not really. thats why its so hard to pass a drug test.

skunk123454321 is offline Registered
    the original poster of this thread mentioned that you could make it more water-soluble with things that would be bad for your lungs, but if one did succesfully make it fairly water solublel using these methods could you not make weed that can be snorted??

my bad for bringing up this old thread but im very interested, a new way of using weed=heaven
    Last edited by skunk123454321; Jun-17-2008 at 20:07.

wonka911 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by jahjahjahjah View Post
    but bongs water pipes ect take out all the pyschoactives in marijuana
    huh??

skunk123454321 is offline Registered
    sorry for reposting, but in addition to my question

i was wondering howabouts i would make the thc molecule more soluble in water with the suggested chemicals?

DAY-DREAMER-MAN is offline Registered+
    i read it all........ but forgot it 3 sec laterlol
    WhY DrInK aNd DrIvE WhEn YoU cAn ToKe AnD fLy

dragonrider is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by skunk123454321 View Post
    could you not make weed that can be snorted??
    The best way is to scrape out all the resin from a pipe, warm it slightly to make it pliable, divide it in half, form it into two equal-sized, sticky, gooey balls, and snort one up each nostril. It's an experience you will never forget! Won't get you high, but you will definitely never forget it.
    More of the same: Renger's Rantings

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Just FYI- Dragonrider is kidding you about the gooey nose balls. Snorting MMJ is not a medical method, or safe, because of the risk of damage to your sinuses.

Dissolving it in ethanol will make it MISCIBLE with water; it is not technically dissolved in the water itself, but in a carrier solvent that will fully mix with the aqueous phase and make a solution that can be considered to be a solution of your resins in ethanol/water. I believe the same can be said of glycerin, but I am not sure if it is truly miscible with water.

dragonrider is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Just FYI- Dragonrider is kidding you about the gooey nose balls. Snorting MMJ is not a medical method, or safe, because of the risk of damage to your sinuses.
    Yes, I was joking!
    More of the same: Renger's Rantings