Cannabis.com

Thread: What size pots ?

Chemteach7 is offline Registered+

What size pots ?

What size pots are used to grow an indoor plant to full harvest size. I am starting a closet grow and buying pots and dont wnt to waste money. Home depot has: 10" 5qt or 12" 12 qt. Which would be better ? If these will not work, what will ? the 12" is 3 gallon. Thanks.........

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

frostedwonder is offline Registered+

variables

There are so many variables that would make or break your grow, what size room are we talking about here? lights? I am using 1.5gallon and would like to think that works for me. I have seen three and 5 gallon containers being used and I wish i had that kind of space. basically cannabis root goes deeper then wide so that is one thing to think about, another would be why donnie and marie osmond are always on ET show, and yeah i mean every frigging day, it could be a clip about dying meerkats and they will cut to donnie's thoughts.... eeeck
    Please don't take what I write serious, because I don't barely even listen to what the voices in my head say much less believe what they make me write online to get attention.
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ml#post2032608

http://boards.cannabis.com/indoor-gr...ml#post1969718

The closet is 24" deep and 36" wide. I will be using a Procyon100 for a lighting source.

frostedwonder is offline Registered+

nice

Hey if height is not an issue then go big if you are able. I bet three gallons in a closet would be nice, since yours is not that deep maybe start off with 1-2gallons and play around after that. Are you going to scrog or not?
    Please don't take what I write serious, because I don't barely even listen to what the voices in my head say much less believe what they make me write online to get attention.
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ml#post2032608

http://boards.cannabis.com/indoor-gr...ml#post1969718

I have 8' of Height to play with. I am not familiar with Scrog ?????? I was (am) just going to start the seeds in small 1qt pots and grow them till I can determine if they are male of female. Then transplant to the larger pots for the flowering. The Closet should hold (4-5) 12" 3gallon. My card allows 6 adult plants. I am just wondering if pot size: 10" or 12" makes a big deal when it comes to plant size or amount of bud harvested ?????????

Does anyone have any help ??????????????

Italiano715 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemteach7 View Post
    I have 8' of Height to play with. I am not familiar with Scrog ?????? I was (am) just going to start the seeds in small 1qt pots and grow them till I can determine if they are male of female. Then transplant to the larger pots for the flowering. The Closet should hold (4-5) 12" 3gallon. My card allows 6 adult plants. I am just wondering if pot size: 10" or 12" makes a big deal when it comes to plant size or amount of bud harvested ?????????
    Scrog means Screen of Green as where in you place a screen (chicken wire) on top of your plants to force it grow horizontally which opens up the bud sites on the branches to maximize the light for your space. It will force your buds to grow through the screen.

Also, I would recommend transplanting two weeks before sexing them as you don't want to shock or stress the plant in any way during the flowering process.

Yes, plants diameter and depth make a huge difference in yield. It is said to have a deeper pot rather than a wider one as roots grow down first before expanding out towards the sides of the pot. You could go from 1 gal. pot in the early stages, gets a nice size go to 3 gal. pot and then two weeks before starting flowering go to 5 gal buckets. ~Food for thought~
    "Make the most of the Indian Hemp Seed and sow it every where."
    - George Washington

"A dope fiend refers to the reefer butt as a roach, because, it resembles a cockroach."

L. Ron Bumquist: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Live~Laugh~Love

This may be a really stupid question, but here it goes............ I will be starting with "bag seed" and am wondering how much harvest to expect off each adult plant after drying ?????? How is it even estimated ???? I am thinking of going with (4) of the 12" 3gallon pots cause they will fit into the space nicely, but, with this being my first grow, how do you estimate what you MIGHT get in the end ?

Italiano715 is offline Registered+
    There really is no way to tell...It's all in the genetics of the cannabis. Including tons of other factors like how much lighting, nutes, temperature, etc. I think the least amount I've seen anyone grow is probably about 40 grams. Techniques you do may also affect the yield (pruning, topping, FIM)
    "Make the most of the Indian Hemp Seed and sow it every where."
    - George Washington

"A dope fiend refers to the reefer butt as a roach, because, it resembles a cockroach."

L. Ron Bumquist: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Live~Laugh~Love

Divestoned is offline Registered+
    you never wanna count your chiken's before they lay egg's and hatch ...or somethin like that.
    But yea them 3 gallon one's should be good,and if you do a nice job you can get 2 ounce's per plant.

Dive
    it is better to remain silent...and be thought a fool...than to speak up...and remove all doubt!

Dive's pre-bust dirt grow
    Dive's Live Nude Girl's

Thats the info I was looking for to start. Hey, thanks so vey vey much. I WILL keep you Updated.

bigtopsfinn is offline Registered+
    I'd like to add here that container size depends on veg and flowering times also... whether they are indica, sativa, or hybrid. Of course, we don't know that since it's bagseed, so I would be prepared for the 5gal's space wise. Also being from seed, they will need a little more root space than with clones.

Still go ahead and buy the quart and 3gal... maybe even one in between... then get the 5 gal's if you need them.

Personally, I start seeds in yogurt cups, then to a quart pot, then 10 liter, then 15 liter. 4-5 weeks of veg and 9 weeks of flowering. 3.5 square ft. scrog with 400w hps produced about a QP dry from 2 plants.

Good luck
    99% of the growing info you need can be found here: Cdot grow guide and FAQs

Completed grow logs:
    First grow - LST'd Trainwreck -- Two Trainwrecks in SCRog -- Finn'SCRog 2010

JohanD420 is offline Registered+
    I'm transplanting into 12" pots before I flower and I plan to SoG, since I'm not going to know the sex of the plants beforehand what is the best method to get rid of the males. I mean seems like you'd have alot of holes in your canopy from cutting them out. And it would be a pain in the ass to take them out of the wire to redistribute.

oldmac is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemteach7 View Post
    The closet is 24" deep and 36" wide. I will be using a Procyon100 for a lighting source.
    Hello Chemteach7,

The limiting factor to growing big is going to be the Procyon 100. It does not have the light penertration of a HID light, you are going to run outa steam if you grow much over 2'. You could grow 3'-4' tall but you'll find the top 2' bushy and the bottom barren.

If this was my space, I'd grow SOG (sea of green) style plants and keep finished heights to 18" or less. I'd use 4" square pots, and pack them 9/sqft and could get abt 54 plants in that space. I might also consider 2-CFLs (2700K for another 100w or so total) on either side of the Procyon, to help fill the rectangular shaped space and to help flowering.

Here's a pic (I've posted before) of a SOG type plant, abt 10" tall (in a pot a little too big) to give you an idea of SOG.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What size pots ?-027.jpg  

davebrook3 is offline Registered

bog - BUSHY OLDER GROWER

I AM HAVING SIMELAR ISSUES. I HAVE 6 WONDERFULL DUTCH CHEESE PLANTS IN 3/4TH WEEK OF FLOWER(HAD A TIMMER ISSUE ON 12/12 FOR A FEW DAYS AS IT GOT STUCK DUE TO SHITTY ADAPTER-SORTED NOW FOR UNDER 5 BUCKS COURTESY OF ASDA(WAL-MART) I HAVE THEM UNDER TWO T5 8 WAY 4 FOOT HIGH OUTPUT FLOUROS(WARM WHITE ON 12/12. THERE IN 11 LITRE SQUARE POTS WHICH IS LIKE 3.78 LITRES TO A US GALLON - SO 3 US GALLON POTS. I AM HOPING TO SEE GOOD BUDS AND AM WORRIED I MIGHT NOT AS POT SIZE IS TOO SMALL? THE LADIES ARE VERY TALL AND ARE FLOWEREING PROFUSELY, SAY 3 FOOT ON AVERAGE - ARE THEY EVER GONNA BUD? SHOULD I DOUBLE POT NOW AND RISK TOO MUCH SHOCK? OR JUST LET NATURE TAKE HER COURSE? I DID OVER VEG THEM BY 2-3 WEEKS AS IT WAS MY FIRST CLONING ATTEMPT. PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS I HAVE MASTERED SO MUCH-SUCH AS GERMINATION, CLONING ETC BUT NOT FLOWERING AND BUDDING SO FAR.