Cannabis.com

Thread: cfl wattage

irishbud is offline Registered+

cfl wattage

guys iv been looking on ebay at cfl's and im kinda confused. allot of them seem to say 30w > 150w...or 30w same as 150w....how do you judge which one is which? i added a link to show what i mean i know its a stupid question but i cant get my head around it. wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem.aspx?aid=190469967508&emvAD=240x259&sv=15 0w%20cfl%20bulb&emvcc=0

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

firstfist is offline Registered+
    The first # is the actuall wattage, and the second number is what a regular lightbulb equivalent would be to the cfl.

So that first one (30w > 150w) means the cfl uses 30w, but its light output is roughly the same as a 150w "normal" bulb.

Hope that helps.

bobhead is offline Registered+
    Be sure to also note the kelvins.

The 6500K work great for vegging.

Quote Originally Posted by firstfist View Post
    The first # is the actuall wattage, and the second number is what a regular lightbulb equivalent would be to the cfl.

So that first one (30w > 150w) means the cfl uses 30w, but its light output is roughly the same as a 150w "normal" bulb.

Hope that helps.
    so the link i added tht bulb is a 125w 6500k cfl blue which would be ok to veg if i then used a 175w or 200w 2700k red bulb to flower would i get a good crop? like decent strenght buds? thanks for the input lad

Quote Originally Posted by firstfist View Post

Hope that helps.
    so the bulb in the link i added is a 125w 6700k blue spectrum which will be ok to veg if i then used a 175w or 200w 2700k red spectrum bulb to flower would i get a nice crop? like decent strength buds? cheers for the input lad

jon420 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by irishbud View Post
    so the bulb in the link i added is a 125w 6700k blue spectrum which will be ok to veg if i then used a 175w or 200w 2700k red spectrum bulb to flower would i get a nice crop? like decent strength buds? cheers for the input lad
    There's a lot of factors that come in to play when asking about producing a nice crop. How many plants? How much space? Ventilation? How many lights? Lumens per sq. foot?

When using CFL's to grow, I suggest using more than you think you need to spread them out evenly among the plants for even growth. CFL's will grow a very satisfying crop but you have to be prepared to move lights daily because the CFL's do burn. You also want to shoot for more lumens than called for. The impact of CFL lighting is nothing like HPS, so make sure you keep them very close without touching. You will get very strong and rapid growth the closer the lights are.

Shoot for a minimum of 4000 Lumens per sq. ft....you will be very satisfied!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jon420 View Post
    There's a lot of factors that come in to play when asking about producing a nice crop. How many plants? How much space? Ventilation? How many lights? Lumens per sq. foot?

When using CFL's to grow, I suggest using more than you think you need to spread them out evenly among the plants for even growth. CFL's will grow a very satisfying crop but you have to be prepared to move lights daily because the CFL's do burn. You also want to shoot for more lumens than called for. The impact of CFL lighting is nothing like HPS, so make sure you keep them very close without touching. You will get very strong and rapid growth the closer the lights are.

Shoot for a minimum of 4000 Lumens per sq. ft....you will be very satisfied!!!
    im goin to grow 1 plant at a time my setup im planning is a grow box 80x80x120cm split in half 1 150w 6400k cfl to veg 1 200w 2700k red cfl to flower grown in soil with advanced nutrients super tea while in veg and big bud nutrients to flower. would tht be enough lighting for 1 plant at a time?

SilentStick is offline Registered
    CFL's are cheap. So you really want to splurge a little when buying them. The local hardware store has 68w CFLs for $15 rated at 2700K. Or for $50 you could always get a 125w Feliz and a mogul socket cord. But shopping online, it's hard to tell half the time. Companies mislead too often with advertising.

PhatJay is offline Registered+
    im goin to grow 1 plant at a time my setup im planning is a grow box 80x80x120cm split in half 1 150w 6400k cfl to veg 1 200w 2700k red cfl to flower grown in soil with advanced nutrients super tea while in veg and big bud nutrients to flower. would tht be enough lighting for 1 plant at a time?
    If those are the actual wattages, then yes that's enough to get a reasonable amount of bud as long as the plant isn't too large. I managed 2oz a plant using 125w of light per plant. If you add more light you will get more bud, with a 250w 2700k for flower you should be able to get 4oz a plant.

I have found 125w 6500k is plenty enough to veg one plant, I don't plan to go up to to 250 for veg. I have gone up to 250 for flower though, as I know it makes a big difference.
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...og-w-pics.html - 1st grow, in coco with CFL's (Finished)
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...co-w-pics.html - 2nd grow, in coco with CFL's (Finished)

jon420 is offline Registered+
    As "phatjay" said, if that is the actual wattage you should be fine but it depends on the strain too. His estimate could be totally different than what you actually produce. I am not saying Phatjay is wrong here but it does depend on the strain too.

As for your lights. I would pay more attention to the lumens that the plant will recieve. If you can supply a min. of 3500 lumens to the plant during veg you should have a nice grow. If you can up those lumens during flowering to a min. of 4000 lumens you should have a decent crop. I always suggest using more CFL's than you think you need because they are not quite as powerful as an HID light. Another great tip for CFL growing is to supply light to the sides of the plant too. I know a lot of people that say it makes no difference but the light from the CFL is not very powerful and does not reach the inner and lower portion of the plant as well as an HID light.

I cuurently have 40,000 lumens in CFL's in a 3ftx4ftx7ft area and two beautiful full figured ladies. This is my first documented study on CFL growth and I think many people will be suprised when they see what is being produced by CFL's only. Grow log to come soon....

Quote Originally Posted by jon420 View Post
    As "phatjay" said, if that is the actual wattage you should be fine but it depends on the strain too. His estimate could be totally different than what you actually produce. I am not saying Phatjay is wrong here but it does depend on the strain too.

As for your lights. I would pay more attention to the lumens that the plant will recieve. If you can supply a min. of 3500 lumens to the plant during veg you should have a nice grow. If you can up those lumens during flowering to a min. of 4000 lumens you should have a decent crop. I always suggest using more CFL's than you think you need because they are not quite as powerful as an HID light. Another great tip for CFL growing is to supply light to the sides of the plant too. I know a lot of people that say it makes no difference but the light from the CFL is not very powerful and does not reach the inner and lower portion of the plant as well as an HID light.

I cuurently have 40,000 lumens in CFL's in a 3ftx4ftx7ft area and two beautiful full figured ladies. This is my first documented study on CFL growth and I think many people will be suprised when they see what is being produced by CFL's only. Grow log to come soon....
    i hear what your saying about the lumens i seen a 250w cfl on ebay tht gives off 19400 lumens would tht be really tht good?

tevfik is offline Registered+
    One thing about his CFL's: Their lumen outputs are based on their position. If you hang it vertically (Which is not possible with that big bulb) then the bulb will give out whats written. But if you hang horizontally then 3 of the 8 U's (about 6-8 tubes) will be looking up to the reflector and large amount of lumen will be lost between reflector and the bulb IMO. Instead if you go with more than one light source, i mean if you seperate that 250w in the room equally results will be much better.
    If you use T5 or PL-L you'll be much more happy. I switched to PL-L's and now i am so sorry about the money i spent previously on CFL bulbs.
    Here is a simple calculation for you:
    1 250w CFL 19400lm. 78lm/w
    1 55w PL-L 4550lm. 79lm/w and enough for 1sq foot (approx. 30x30cm - 900cm2)
    4 PL-L will be enough for your box. 6 PL-L will hit.
    How much are they?
    250w CFL 19400lm= 90 USD
    4x55w PL-L 30 USD + 2x ballast 60 USD= 90 USD

You can even go with 2x55w for vegging room and 2x80w for flowering room. For 80w there is 81lm/w output. I don't know exact prices of their ballasts but there is no difference between 18w and 55w ballasts. They all fixed price. So 80 must be the same.
    There are several advantages of PL-L's.
    They are cheap. Very cheap. Once you get your ballasts you'll just need to replace your bulbs and they're about 8 USD each.
    They don't produce heat as much as that bulb will do. I pointed my two fans to them and they're cool.
    There are wide product range, you can even go with special flower tubes or 90 RA tubes which is more effective on plants. You are able to mix spectrum.

Lets see:
    You want 375w in total and it will give you approx. 7000+19400=26400lm
    Since you're planning two different rooms
    you can hit 6x80w or 4x80w + 2x55w. or 2x80w + 4x55w
    Prices are almost same for each setup.
    And you can set the bulbs 2 for veg and 4 for flower.
    2x55w 6500k=110w for veg around 9.100lm.
    2x80w 3000k + 2x55w 2700k optional=270w for flower. around 21600lm.
    In total 380w and 30700lm.
    You can get cauliflower buds with that

Quote Originally Posted by tevfik View Post
    One thing about his CFL's: Their lumen outputs are based on their position. If you hang it vertically (Which is not possible with that big bulb) then the bulb will give out whats written. But if you hang horizontally then 3 of the 8 U's (about 6-8 tubes) will be looking up to the reflector and large amount of lumen will be lost between reflector and the bulb IMO. Instead if you go with more than one light source, i mean if you seperate that 250w in the room equally results will be much better.
    If you use T5 or PL-L you'll be much more happy. I switched to PL-L's and now i am so sorry about the money i spent previously on CFL bulbs.
    Here is a simple calculation for you:
    1 250w CFL 19400lm. 78lm/w
    1 55w PL-L 4550lm. 79lm/w and enough for 1sq foot (approx. 30x30cm - 900cm2)
    4 PL-L will be enough for your box. 6 PL-L will hit.
    How much are they?
    250w CFL 19400lm= 90 USD
    4x55w PL-L 30 USD + 2x ballast 60 USD= 90 USD

You can even go with 2x55w for vegging room and 2x80w for flowering room. For 80w there is 81lm/w output. I don't know exact prices of their ballasts but there is no difference between 18w and 55w ballasts. They all fixed price. So 80 must be the same.
    There are several advantages of PL-L's.
    They are cheap. Very cheap. Once you get your ballasts you'll just need to replace your bulbs and they're about 8 USD each.
    They don't produce heat as much as that bulb will do. I pointed my two fans to them and they're cool.
    There are wide product range, you can even go with special flower tubes or 90 RA tubes which is more effective on plants. You are able to mix spectrum.

Lets see:
    You want 375w in total and it will give you approx. 7000+19400=26400lm
    Since you're planning two different rooms
    you can hit 6x80w or 4x80w + 2x55w. or 2x80w + 4x55w
    Prices are almost same for each setup.
    And you can set the bulbs 2 for veg and 4 for flower.
    2x55w 6500k=110w for veg around 9.100lm.
    2x80w 3000k + 2x55w 2700k optional=270w for flower. around 21600lm.
    In total 380w and 30700lm.
    You can get cauliflower buds with that
    thanks for the input lad i never read about pl-l wat are they?

thanks for the input lad i never read about pl-l wat are they?
    They're plug in compact fluorescent. One U only, and long.
    here: L type fluorescent tubes

They're plug in compact fluorescent. One U only, and long.
    here: L type fluorescent tubes
    tevfik thanks for the help. had a read of that thread have to agree they look the part. found a supplier will ring them tomorrow see how much they cost. will take your advise if the price is right ill get 2 55w 6500k to veg now to flower do i have to go as strong as you suggested?

LetsSeeYa is offline Registered+
    Yeah bud, i saw the thread and thought id put my 2cents in. My first indoor, i used 279w to grow 4 plants and i was very happy. I used 26w, 27,w and at flower some 13w all mixed. A lot of people will say im wrong doing this, but harvest was great. I think the big thing is to keep them close and when i mean close, i mean the plant will grow into the light from time to time. And i used painted white cardboard to enclose my grow area to focus every bit of light available to my plants. And in the end, i was very happy as my buds were nice and tight, not airy like some come out, if the lights are not close enough.

I made my lights for cheap, its in my Sig if you want to see what some of the buds i got from the grow looked like and how i enclosed it. The plants got nice size too. It was killer smoke

Enjoy and have fun

''If you substitute marijuana for tobacco and alcohol, you'll add 8 to 24 years to your life.''
    'Jack Herer

tevfik thanks for the help. had a read of that thread have to agree they look the part. found a supplier will ring them tomorrow see how much they cost. will take your advise if the price is right ill get 2 55w 6500k to veg now to flower do i have to go as strong as you suggested?
    2x55w will be enough for veg. Also for flowering additional 2 more can do as well but first tell us clearly how many plants you're going to grow? Are you going to grow simultaneously or not (i mean when one flowering will there be another vegging again at the same time. if so what are the sizes of vegging and flowering rooms)?
    After your clear answer i'll try tell you what you need for minimum and optimum.

planned room

2x55w will be enough for veg. Also for flowering additional 2 more can do as well but first tell us clearly how many plants you're going to grow? Are you going to grow simultaneously or not (i mean when one flowering will there be another vegging again at the same time. if so what are the sizes of vegging and flowering rooms)?
    After your clear answer i'll try tell you what you need for minimum and optimum.
    thanks tevfik what im planning is a homebox grow tent 80x80x160cm going to grow 1 maybe 2 plants from seed its called fruity chronic. i wanted to plit the grow tent into 2 rooms veg/flower and have a plant in each or 2 if i could or just grow 1 from start to finish and start again and hopefully ill get enough smoke to last me till the next one is done. what do you think?

Hmm. Well, you can have one good grow in there or continuous grow in there but multiple grows will increase your electric bill + bulbs etc... And will give you just one month average. This depends on how much you'll smoke.
    Your space is more than enough for 4 plants at least. If you'll smoke a lot grow 4 plants at once from beginning to the end. Than start another.

I already suggested what you need for multiple grows.
    Here i'll suggest more reasonable option for you. This is the cheapest alternative based on lumen and watt.
    Buy 2 ballast for $60 (1x55,1x80 they'll run 2 bulbs each)
    Buy 4 bulb for $35 (2x55w6500k + 2x80w2700k)
    Buy 4 socket. $5 (Not much necessary you can DIY)
    Prices converted $ by me. They can be a bit different there but don't think there will be a huge difference.

First Run 2x55w 6500k bulbs for veg. Will hit 9600 lm. Enough for half of your tent. When switch to flower, run all. This will give you 21500lm with 270w and wide spectrum. Enough for your tent.
    If you buy one more 55w 2700k bulb that will make more red in flowering room. Since they are cheap you can even buy two and go for flower with all red spectrum. Its up to you. You can think about 2700k bulbs later. For beginning you just need 2x55w 6500k bulbs and one ballast. The rest you can buy later as i said. This depends on your budget. You can also go with 6x55w (You'll need 3 ballasts). 330w. Oh yea
    Most important thing is ballast. Get your ballast then don't worry about anything else.

Forget about one big bulb. If you're not able to go with PLL then go buy small e27 CFL. 4 or 6 for the beginnig, than later you can add more.

LetsSeeYa said and i'm totally agree with him. I previously used 6x18w for vegging. 6x23w for flowering. I had 2 beautiful lady.
    Hope yours will be much more beautiful

Go buy your bulbs and start your log already will you

bulbs

ok so i rang the supplier and getting the bulbs is no problem. from what you are saying 1 ballast can hold 2 bulbs, do you have like a part number or some kind of reference number on your ballast that i can use to give the supplier so he can get the ballast? ok so ill grow 3 plants in my tent from start to finish. 2 ballast with 4 55w 6400k bulbs to veg then to flower 2 55w 2700k and 2 80w 2700k will that do the job? but if you can some how help me get the part number of the ballast to get me started that would be great. thanks again

Those 4 bulbs will be enough.
    For the part numbers go to light producers website. Or make a search on web. search like "2x55w pll ballast" You'll find many of them.
    This is i found for 80w: Philips HF-P 280 TL5/PLL EII 220-240V 50/60Hz 871150006016730
    And these are for 55w:
    Philips HF-P 255 PLL EII 220-240V 50/60Hz 871150006062430. / Osram Quicktronic QTP-DL2X55 EAN: 4008321117960
    Only important thing you should look in names is 2 55, 2 80 and pll signs.

Note: This ballasts will run both lamps at the same time. There is no option like one on and one off. You'll be able run 2 or 4 not 3 or 1.

For more, go everywhere in this forum and check this thread.
    Answers about CFL, HPS, How Much Light...

Good luck with all

One thing about his CFL's: Their lumen outputs are based on their position. If you hang it vertically (Which is not possible with that big bulb) then the bulb will give out whats written. But if you hang horizontally then 3 of the 8 U's (about 6-8 tubes) will be looking up to the reflector and large amount of lumen will be lost between reflector and the bulb IMO.
    Surely this would be true for the PL-L bulbs aswell? I am not saying the larger bulbs are better (their bulkiness is a downside to them). But I would think that the PL-L's whilst better overall, might not put out quite as much usable light as you think, as half of the bulb is facing a reflector (Unless you hang them vertically, which is easier to do than with the big 250's).
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...og-w-pics.html - 1st grow, in coco with CFL's (Finished)
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...co-w-pics.html - 2nd grow, in coco with CFL's (Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by PhatJay View Post
    Surely this would be true for the PL-L bulbs aswell? I am not saying the larger bulbs are better (their bulkiness is a downside to them). But I would think that the PL-L's whilst better overall, might not put out quite as much usable light as you think, as half of the bulb is facing a reflector (Unless you hang them vertically, which is easier to do than with the big 250's).
    All horizontal hanged bulbs will be facing half of them to the reflector. PLL's have two tubes only, there are no other tubes between them. Light from one tube directly facing to you or to the reflector, not to other tubes. If you have a good shape reflector, you don't loose much. I have two tubes on my bulb and can see them very well. And i can keep all my tubes very close to my plants.
    cfl wattage-erpll558404p.jpg

Now you tell me how many tubes you see from out of 16? How many of them will be close to the plant? 250/16 = 15,6W light per tube. How much watt will reach get directly?
    cfl wattage-11067.jpeg

What about the hole between U's? Where the lights go in there?
    cfl wattage-sl230v200we_a.jpg

I think you missed my point, nevermind. It wasn't very important.
    Good luck with your grow.

Sorry about that, probably because of my missing english or you didn't pointed well.

Thanks for the wishes