Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Easy way for making hash oil

angry nomad is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Coelho View Post
    Why not??? Acetone is the best of all solvents used for making hash oil, as it doesnt dissolve pigments, many tars, and so, making the purity of the extracted oil greater.

Anyway... there is the BHO (Butane Honey Oil) extraction... its very different from this one i posted... just search, there is a lot of threads about it.

Also, you can make green dragon (which means just use ethanol instead acetone), then evaporate all the alcohol. The remains of the evaporation are also hash oil. Note that alcohol dissolves a lot of more things than acetone, including clorophylle, other pigments, tars, so the quality of your hash oil will be lesser. Anyway, for smoking purposes its as good as acetone!
    But isn't there going to be acetone residue in the hash oil?
    A vote for Ron Paul is a vote for legalization. Ron Paul 2008 for President of the U.S!

Coelho is offline Registered+
    The acetone, and most of the another substances added in it (as acetone rarely is 100% pure) are volatile organic solvents, which will evaporate.
    The not-so-volatile ones are the water-like liquid which remains in the dish, and are washed away. Even if something remain mixed with the hash oil, you must remember the amount of this substance would be very small (as the amount of hash smoked is usually very small too).
    And remember, also, that when we smoke the weed, we inhale all the smoke of burnt weed, which contains lots of harmful chemicals, tars, etc, and in a far greater quantity than anything present in a small piece of hash oil. So, all in all, i think smoking hash oil is still healthier than smoking weed.
    Last edited by Coelho; Oct-17-2007 at 17:00.

angry nomad is offline Registered+
    The acetone, and most of the another substances added in it (as acetone rarely is 100% pure) are volatile organic solvents, which will evaporate.
    The not-so-volatile ones are the water-like liquid which remains in the dish, and are washed away. Even if something remain mixed with the hash oil, you must remember the amount of this substance would be very small (as the amount of hash smoked is usually very small too).
    And remember, also, that when we smoke the weed, we inhale all the smoke of burnt weed, which contains lots of harmful chemicals, tars, etc, and in a far greater quantity than anything present in a small piece of hash oil. So, all in all, i think smoking hash oil is still healthier than smoking weed.
    hmm.... okay. thanks.
    A vote for Ron Paul is a vote for legalization. Ron Paul 2008 for President of the U.S!

You are welcome... try it and you will love it!

kayakman04 is offline Registered
    Would mineral spirits be an acceptable solvent for this method?

I dont know... what do you mean with "mineral spirits"?... do you know what is its chemical composition?

I don't know its chemical composition, but it is a common solvent. Maybe I should stick to ethanol or acetone.

klondike_bar is offline Banned
    i avoid acetone unless its fully evaporated, in which case the hash oil becomes more solid.

Man... i just searched about this mineral spirits... DONT use it! Its a mixture of hydrocarbons (therefore related to gasoline) with a not-so-low boiling point (150-200 C). It means that the time you would have to wait until it evaporates would be TOO long, and also, the amount of it that would remain in the hash oil would be large. So, you would be smoking it mixed with the hash oil, and i think it would not be healty.
    Thats one of the reasons because i use acetone. It evaporates at only 36C, so the hash oil i get is solvent-free. Everclear (alcohol) is not so good as acetone, as the THC is less soluble, and also takes more time to dissolve in it than in acetone, but works well too.

I will definitly stay away from the mineral spirits then. Gotta get my hands on some acetone, and some bud for that matter.

Dec. 21 2012 is offline Registered+
    Hey Coelho. So would an eighth give me a good amount of hash oil? And what would be a good way to smoke the hash oil? I'd like to try it by itself. Could I put a drop or two on a spoon, light the bottom, and inhale the fumes?

Oh yeah, will it really be oilly? Or more of a hash crust?
    Last edited by Dec. 21 2012; Nov-08-2007 at 21:18.
    The end is nigh so let's all get high

One more thing. This guide seems too simple, does it really work?

Quote Originally Posted by Dec. 21 2012 View Post
    Hey Coelho. So would an eighth give me a good amount of hash oil?
    Well... 1/8 is 3.5g... the amount of hash oil you would get with this amount of weed is a ball with about 1cm of diameter... maybe some more, maybe some less, it depends on the quality of the weed, how much time you let it soaking in acetone, etc...

And what would be a good way to smoke the hash oil? I'd like to try it by itself. Could I put a drop or two on a spoon, light the bottom, and inhale the fumes?
    I use a plastic bottle to smoke it... for me, its the most effective way to do it...

Get a plastic bottle, and make a small hole near its bottom. Put a tube through it, like a pen, or anything like it.
    Take a square of tinfoil, with about 1 inch, and put the hash in the middle of it. If the hash were solid, hold the tinfoil with a pliers (or anything suitable), put a lighter under it and heat it gently, for melt the hash and made it spread a bit over the tinfoil.
    Put a smaller piece of tinfoil over the hash, so it will be "sandwiched" between the two pieces of tinfoil. Be sure that the smaller piece of tinfoil is smaller than the mouth of the bottle.
    Then, put the tinfoils at the mouth of the bottle. The smaller piece must be into the bottle. Then, use the remaining of the larger tinfoil to wrap it around the mouth of the bottle, so it dont fall.
    Finally, put a lighter under the tinfoil, heat until the hash start to smoke, and breathe the smoke from the tube.
    The figure below shows what i mean...
    Oh yeah, will it really be oilly? Or more of a hash crust?
    It depends on the quality (purity) of the acetone you use, the room temperature, and where you evaporate it.
    Like... if you use pure acetone, the hash will be harder, if the acetone were not so pure (here in brasil, when sold as nail polish remover it is 60% acetone and 40% alcohol), the hash oil be more oily.
    If the evaporation were made in hot weather, the hash will be harder than in cold weather.
    For this small amount of weed, i suggest you to evaporate it in a wine cup, as small as possible, and with a round bottom. The hash oil will be spread through the cup, forming a thin layer. Scrape ALL this layer, no matter how thin it be, cause even a very thin layer when scraped forms a ball of hash oil with a nice size. And a ball with only 3mm of diameter is enough for make you HIGHH
    Also, the thinest parts of the layer usually are harder, and the thicker parts of it are usually oilyer.

One more thing. This guide seems too simple, does it really work?
    Yes, it works... ive been using this recipe for more than 2 years... in fact, since 2005 i only smoke hash oil made with this recipe, and have been stoned (very stoned in fact ) since then...

Anyway, good luck, and any questions, just ask!

Will potent weed make for very potent hash oil? Because I can get medical quality, well I don't know if it's that good but it can get me stoned in one hit.

And is it difficult to break up a ball of hash oil? I might not want to smoke it all in one go. I want enough for me and enough for my friend.

Well... as stronger the weed, stronger the hash oil. Note that the hash oil is FAR more potent than the weed you use to make it... so, in the first time you were smoke it, smoke a very small amount, or you will be completly absolutely amazingly HIGHH
    And the hash oil is not exactly solid... it resembles honey... when i say a "ball" of hash oil, i mean rather a drop of it, as it is something between liquid and solid... and it is EXTREMELY sticky, so it sticks to EVERYTHING. I store it in a small plastic container used to store pills, and i use a needle to get the amount i will smoke.
    BTW... i would say its impossible to smoke all the hash oil made with 3.5g of weed... you would pass out before finishing it... try to start with a small ball with some 2-3mm of diameter... then smoke more, if it were not enough.

Hey Coelho, do you have a simple way to make some Green Dragon?

Breukelen advocaat is offline Registered+
    This is a picture of the type of glass jars that some people marketed hash oil in, many years ago. A gram of oil would fill about half a jar. They originally had black screw-on tops, but I misplaced them.
    Last edited by Breukelen advocaat; Nov-11-2007 at 03:08.

Hey Coelho, do you have a simple way to make some Green Dragon?
    Well.. the way i use for making it is very similar to this recipe:

http://boards.cannabis.com/recipes/8...-combined.html

Its VERY well explained and very detailed... the only differences from this recipe to what i do is: i use pure alcohol (everclear) instead rum, and i heat the weed in the alcohol for one entire hour, instead the time said in the recipe.

BTW... making hash oil from green dragon is very easy also... when the green dragon were ready, filter it, so you will get only the liquid, and not the leaves, then heat this liquid until all the alcohol evaporate. The tar-like residue left is hash oil.

And BA, do you know where i could find some glasses like that ones? Cause they seem perfect for storing hash oil...

itsme5k is offline Registered
    Does anyone else here use butane to perform a supercritical extraction?
    I think its great there is no great risk of explosion of you evaporate outside in a water bath, and only takes a few minutes.
    Just make sure no one is smoking as you are doing it. (unless you want a nice big fireball)
    You can then mix with 4:1 ratio isopropyl alcohol and heat in a boiling water bath to boil off any remaining more volatile solvents.
    It is a thin golden liquid which is easy to work with (ie in an eye dropper bottle) which you can just drip onto a ciggie or into a vaporizer. Does not take too long to dry and has a really nice taste.

mark08 is offline Registered
    yoo man i got a couple questions for ya, will this work with if i dont use actual buds like if i used stem, leaf and shake instead? and where would be the safest place to leave the bottle of acetone + weed? and how much do u think will be made with approx 20 grams of weed?

killerweed420 is offline Banned
    I've just started with the butane method and I was surprised at how simple it is to do and how smooth the smoke was. Most of the hash I've had was hard to take.
    Honey Oil or BHO is what its called.

Quote Originally Posted by mark08 View Post
    yoo man i got a couple questions for ya, will this work with if i dont use actual buds like if i used stem, leaf and shake instead?
    Yes... it would work, but the hash oil you would get would be far less potent than if you use buds... but i think even so it still would be very worth of smoking.

and where would be the safest place to leave the bottle of acetone + weed?
    Well... the bottle must be in a cool and dark place (as light destroys the THC), and FAR from anything which generate sparks, heat, or anything like this, as acetone is very flamable... but, besides this, any place would work.

and how much do u think will be made with approx 20 grams of weed?
    Man... the amount of hash oil you get from weed depends on the type of weed you get... but i would say, in average, from my own experiments, that 20g of weed would produce about 2g of pure hash oil... and its a LOT! If the weed were better than mids, it would be enough for some 200 highs...

aright thanks man, one more question lol i've left the weed in the acetone for about 24 hours now, the colour is now a very dark greenish brown color is ready to put onto the plate?

aright thanks man, one more question lol i've left the weed in the acetone for about 24 hours now, the colour is now a very dark greenish brown color is ready to put onto the plate?
    It is... but still there is some THC left in the weed. So, after you put the brown acetone in the plate, put some pure acetone in the bottle with weed and let it soaking for about one week, to ensure you extract all the THC that may have remained in the weed after the first extraction.

BTW, while in the recipe ive said to let the acetone evaporate naturally in a plate, when i do it myself i put the acetone in a wine glass, put this glass into a water bath and heat the water with an electric water heater. The water heats the acetone, and it evaporates WAY faster.
    I didnt said it in the recipe because doing it is FAR dangerous, as acetone is VERY flammable, and its vapours are even more, so all the caution must be exercised when doing it, to avoid that the acetones vapours enter in contact with anything hot, sparks or flames, that could make it ignite (or even explode).
    I noticed that letting the acetone evaporate by itself (without heating) causes the appearing of water in the acetone, and it slows down the evaporation and hinders a bit the hash oil precipitation. But it still works very well. So, you can evaporate it the way you choose.

ok so how long should it take for the acetone to evaporate if i put the wine glass in a hot water?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast