Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Water Extraction: Ghetto Style

Perp is offline Registered+

Cold Water Extraction: Ghetto Style

I'm sure everyone has heard of Bubblebags and how to make hash with them using cold water extraction (CWE). The problem is that they are quite pricey and maybe you don't try CWE because of it. But it is IMO one of the better methods of making hash because it's:
    a) cheap
    b) safe
    c) good yield

Here is a cheap way to do it, with good results. All you need are:
    1) two buckets; at least one should be 5 gal
    2) bag of ice
    3) filter; to strain plant material (must be big enough to let the trichomes pass)
    4) coffee filters
    5) blender; or some way to agitate the material
    5) trim; dried

You will also see a siphon hose. Since the most of the trichomes drop to the bottom I siphon off most of the water from the bucket to save time. You do not need to do this but you will quickly find your coffee filters getting clogged from the trichs if you filter the whole bucket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cold Water Extraction: Ghetto Style-buckets.jpg   Cold Water Extraction: Ghetto Style-blender.jpg   Cold Water Extraction: Ghetto Style-trim.jpg  

Cold Water Extraction: Ghetto Style-ice.jpg  

So, as you can see in the above pics, fill one bucket with water, ice and the trim. Use the blender to agitate for about 2-3 mins. Then take a break for 10 or so minutes, maybe smoke one or hit a bowl. That's what I do, usually.

Repeat the agitation step a three or four times. Then, using the silkscreen (and a colander for shape), pour the whole mixture into the other bucket. Squeeze all the water out of the plant material and discard it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cold Water Extraction: Ghetto Style-dcfc0009.jpg  
    Last edited by Perp; May-23-2007 at 04:46.

You now have a bucket of greenish coloured water. This is where I siphon off about 3/4 of the water. Be sure to let it sit a while to give the trichomes time to sink to the bottom of the bucket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cold Water Extraction: Ghetto Style-siphon.jpg  

Sorry forgot pics for these steps.

When you are near the bottom stop the siphon. It's time to use the coffee filters to capture the hash. Cut the top off of a 2L plastic pop bottle. Take the cap off and turn it upside down and place the coffee filter inside. Now carefully pour the remaining water through the filter. This may take some time depending on how much water you have left

Once your water is filtered you should have a number of coffee filters containing the wet hash.

Use a blade to carefully scrape the hash onto a plate for drying. At this point you can leave it to dry naturally, or what I do is squeeze the water out with my fingers. Once it is dry then it is ready to smoke.

Usually get 2-3 g per oz of trim, takes about 2 hours from start to finish.

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cold Water Extraction: Ghetto Style-hash.jpg  
    Last edited by Perp; May-23-2007 at 04:48.

Don Don is offline Registered+
    Last picture was kinda blurry but it still looks like s ome killer shit. Toke up!

pspmachine is offline Registered+
    Hi, I am thinking of using this method, however when you say 'trim' do you mean all of the leaves from the plant? I have a bin liner full of leaves but they are wet at the minute.

Regards

crudemood is offline Registered+
    yeah you get the hang of it after a while
    i had made hash using the ice water method and agitation but somebody ( my grandma snoooping in my room) thought it of mud maybe..?! and threw it out, it was a good 3 grams of it, or more.. i didnt even get to touch it yet! stupid snooping parents.
    well looking on the brightside.. at least they didnt touch my green..
    Picture yourself in a boat on a river
    With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
    Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly
    A girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Cellophane flowers of yellow and green
    Towering over your head
    Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes
    And she's gone

Lucy in the sky with diamonds

The Beatles

You miss a lot when you canít feel like others can. You canít relate to or communicate feelings to others if youíre numb.

Anyone?

go toke up is offline Registered+
    i will be using your method when i get all of my plants trimmings. yay!
    get high in this motha fucka
    420 Crew

Quote Originally Posted by RHODE h1ghSLANDER View Post
    then his 1-eyed, 3-legged dog that got hit by a car came over and started licking my hand..lol this thing seriously shouldve been put down..it was the first time i saw it, i just started giggling uncontrollably and my friends all looked over at me with death stares..i couldnt stop, it mustve gone on for 5 m,inutes just laughing at this dog...

Quote Originally Posted by pspmachine View Post
    Anyone?
    Yes, by "trim" I mean all the leaf you get after manicuring. I use everything; bud leaves, fan leaves, stems. It all goes into the bucket.

Thats the thing, I think i'm only getting fan leaves and stems, would this produce any hash at all?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pspmachine View Post
    Thats the thing, I think i'm only getting fan leaves and stems, would this produce any hash at all?

Thanks
    Well, it depends on the amount of trichomes on the material. Generally the smaller leaves that grow out of the bud will have the most. You don't have any leaves growing out of the buds? Fan leaves may have some on the stem and base of the leaf. I've seen some very crystally fan leaves. The more crystals (trichomes), the more hash you're gonna get.

surreys princess is offline Registered+
    you have been stickied...

thanks for the contribution...
    dont talk unless you can improve the silence....

Where did you get your silkscreen? No art supply places in my area had any....

Well, I got it from a friend who worked as a screen printer. I admit that item may be hard to come by for some people. I'm sure you could order some online. Alternatively, you could use cheesecloth, or a very fine sieve. That screen is to filter out the leaf material while allowing the trichomes to pass, so it doesn't have to be too fine. Just fine enough to keep the small bits of leaf out of your final product.

PS I just ran out of what I got out of that run, so it lasted about a week for me. And I get high a lot, each day, all day. Pretty potent stuff. Best smoked in a pipe or bowl.
    Last edited by Perp; May-31-2007 at 09:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Martinez View Post
    Couldn't you use bud itself or is that too much of a pain?
    For this method I'm just using the shake and trim that would normally not be smoked in joints or bowls. It's just a cheap and easy way to get a little bit extra out of a grow.

TheGreenFog is offline Registered+
    That's a great method. I was just sorting thru a bunch of pictures I have of this method. I was going to post a thread, but seems like you got stickied, so maybe I'll just add them onto your thread if that's cool.

IMO, using the large fan leaves is detrimental to the quality of your hash. If you use just the small leaves that are attached to the bud, you should get a more pure hash with less green material. When I post my pics, you will see the difference. One has greener water, and the other is more yellowish...less green. I suggest only using leaves with VISIBLE trichomes.

The way I learned it was the GUMBY HASH method. Here is a link to an awesome vid that describes it all. A little different, but basically the same. Good thread, Perp.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kbCtKE2Ghk[/YOUTUBE]

Be cool.

The Fog
    Last edited by TheGreenFog; Jun-05-2007 at 14:29.
    I do not grow. All pictures posted are most assuredly not mine & any discussions in which I am involved are purely hypothetical. For entertainment purposes only & should not be considered advice to assist in any illegal activites.

JOURNAL OF A MADMAN (Grow Logs) I II

JOAMM (C.O.L.) - CFL Grow ~ JOAMM - HASH/KIEF MAKING ~ 1st Harvest Pix ~ Videos

+ =

Dr.Chiefer is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by norkali View Post
    Where did you get your silkscreen? No art supply places in my area had any....
    You can try using stretched out panty hose i think its the same thing.

Green Fog - great video, especially the yields. It's good advice to leave your buckets to sit for a few hours. I tend to be a little impatient and lose yield in the process. Also cutting out the coffee filters, I'll have to try it.

Dr. Chiefer - nice suggestion

FreeVenice is offline Registered+
    Hey Perp, any thoughts on using dry ice. Besides the fact that it would look great smoking up the place. Would it help to be even colder. . .

and what about a potato smasker instead of the cake mixer? Thanks alot for the thread. . .
    4/20 Grow. . .4/20/2007 Here I Come. . .

Round 2. . .Second Round. . .

Why is Herb Illegal?
    A killer, you keep workin, and working, and working and they keep
    taking, and taking, and taking. They'll throw you a few little crumbs
    they'll give you a home, a car, a television, a vacation. Someday you
    may even have a bank account that you're scared to lose.
    -Corperate Avenger

Quote Originally Posted by FreeVenice View Post
    Hey Perp, any thoughts on using dry ice. Besides the fact that it would look great smoking up the place. Would it help to be even colder. . .
    man fuck that, pour some liquid nitrogen in that bitch, LOL just kidding

CrIpInMiKe is offline Registered+
    koo thanks imma try it out

casper1 is offline Registered+
    Another great way is to take the trim and clippings and rub it by a silk screen lightly alowing only the yellow resin to fall through. thenk scoop all of it up and put it in a plastic wrap Really tight (suggest the wrapper of a cig pack) then take the tightly wraped resin and tightly fold a damp piece of paper around it. put in the oven for 15 min on 400 then put imediatly into fridge. wait one day and unwrap and u have urself a nice wad of hash!

Chongzbongz is offline Registered+
    Im gonna try this method right now.
    I just wrote it down, Thanks perp.
    Ive got several pounds of leaf and bud shake
    Ill keep you posted on how it works out and maybe send you some
    I live in alberta what about you?
    If something goes wrong, blame the guy who can't speak English.

Quote Originally Posted by Chongzbongz View Post
    Im gonna try this method right now.
    I just wrote it down, Thanks perp.
    Ive got several pounds of leaf and bud shake
    Ill keep you posted on how it works out and maybe send you some
    I live in alberta what about you?
    I'm in Ontario. You should get a great yield from several pounds of trim. Take some pics and show us your results!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast