Hi, I've been interested in making some hash & hash oil since I've found out how relatively easy to make it is. I've been fortunate enough to been able to find commercial grade bud for $50 per half-ounce. It's really dry (which is good since you get your weight's worth) and crumbly so trichomes are just falling off of it. Granted, they're not the most potent and uber plentiful trichomes but it definitely seems worth it for the money.
I don't know how much the honey bee extractor's go for but I figure I've pretty much got a solid piece of equipment I built. It was only about $15 at Home Depot too. It's completely built on brass, and I know a lot of people don't like to use metal extractors due to the risk of of static explosions. I think there's a very minimal risk involved though. I haven't actually tried it yet (waiting to find high quality butane), but it looks like it should work just fine. I figure you could even put a valve on it to let the butane brew into the bud before flushing it out. I don't think you would need to worry about pressurized explosions due to it being a hell of a lot thicker than the metal or even plastic bottles butane comes in.
So here's what I have used. All of this can be bought at Home Depot (sans the pipe screen). They are in yellow topped bags (color coordinated for other pieces they can connect to).
1/2" x 6" brass pipe nipple (A-845)
1/2" FIP x 1/4" FIP pipe reducing coupling (A-813)
1/2" FIP pipe cap (A-819)
A large sized brass pipe screen (mine is either 1/2-3/4" diameter)
WARNING: These products contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. (Plumber: California law requires that this warning be given to the consumer.)
Now you'll still need to drill a hole for the butane nozzle to fit into the cap. There's an excellent starting point to drill into inside the cap where the lathe was stuck into the metal. I plan on super gluing a piece of wire onto the inside of the cap across the hole to allow the butane nozzle to get depressed when inserted.
I will further update this when I actually try it out and scrub down or torch off the residual machine oils. I also plan on recording it and putting it onto youtube so people who have no idea how to extract hash oil can have a complete guide from equipment to procedure.
Thanks for looking.
PS. The second photo is from a piece of tin foil I sprayed some Bernzomatic brand butane onto (also purchased from Home Depot for about $2.50). If you look hard enough you can see some contaminants left behind after evaporating. My suggestion is therefore to not use Bernzomatic brand butane fluid.