Thread: THC alcohol boiling question???

Icon_xof is offline Registered

Question THC alcohol boiling question???

I'm using 190 proof everclear.
    So, the boiling point of thc is over 300 and the boiling point of alcohol is 173, and the thc decarbs at 220. So, if I make a concentrate by boiling the alcohol and plant matter at ~230, then by the time I'm ready to cool and filter, I'll have a concentrate in which the thc is decarbed and ready for digestion, correct?

Weezard is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Icon_xof View Post
    I'm using 190 proof everclear.
    So, the boiling point of thc is over 300 and the boiling point of alcohol is 173, and the thc decarbs at 220. So, if I make a concentrate by boiling the alcohol and plant matter at ~230, then by the time I'm ready to cool and filter, I'll have a concentrate in which the thc is decarbed and ready for digestion, correct?

Almost.

The fly in this ointment is Ethanol's BP.
    Unless you use a sealed vessel.
    At sea level, Ethanol will limit the temperature to 173 while it is the dominant component.
    However, as it boils away, the BP will rise.
    The next is, that 5% water @ 212

Then the terpenes, oils and waxes on the way to 300.
    I suggest that you monitor the temperature closely and adjust the time accordingly.

Personally, I usually just watch the bubbles.
    When the larger bubbles fade and the tiny CO2 bubbles start, I don't time it, I limit the temperature, and watch for them to slacken off.
    Seems to give a good decarb.

Have you considered winterizing to remove the waxes?
    If so, It's best to save the decarb for last.

Aloha,
    Weezard
    Everyt'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html
    Plants do things for a reason..they don't just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound

"You have the ability to move 1000 times faster than your plant, but that doesn't mean that you should." - Emilya