• 1 Post By painretreat
  • 2 Post By DrWalter
  • 1 Post By jiggsaw
  • 1 Post By ThePinkJina
  • 2 Post By ThePinkJina

Thread: 9 dollar carbon scrubber.

jiggsaw is offline Registered+

9 dollar carbon scrubber.

This is the simplest and cheapest way to make a carbon scrubber. You can get everything at walmart. For this to work you need an exhaust fan and some dryer duct , or whatever duct will work. Here's the list and prices.
    1. Activated carbon in plastic tub. $5.97
    2. Knee high panty hose $.39 cent.
    3. duct tape $ 2.00
    The tools you need are either a soldering iron, a drill , or a screwdriver to poke holes.
    9  dollar carbon scrubber.-1224111439a.jpg This is the carbon to buy.
    9  dollar carbon scrubber.-1224111443-2-.jpg First you take off the lid and wrap the knee high around it. Then you pour/ stuff all the carbon into the knee high and tie it off.
    9  dollar carbon scrubber.-1224111503-2-.jpg Now you make your holes. A drill or a soldering iron is the best way just make a bunch of holes the plastic is strong. Now stuff the pantyhose filled with carbon into the holed up tub.
    9  dollar carbon scrubber.-1224111506-2-.jpg Now wrap the other panty hose on the outside and tie it off . That's it now just duct tape this beast on your duct and it'll work and it's cheap.

painretreat is offline Registered+
    Hi jigg, I like that! You there for Christmas? Kinda homesick? Or have people there with you? My rep's vanished and are hit and miss, so wanted to say Merry Christmas to you! pr
    jiggsaw likes this.

Yeah I'm still here I used up all my vacation in july 3 weeks venice beach , hollywood blvd, the hollywood sign,big bear, then chilling at the pool n PS I had my Christmas then i guess. Merry Christmas!
    painretreat likes this.

painretreat is offline Registered+
    Indeed that was a delightful Christma in July! Venice B is a great place! Glad to hear you had your xmas vacation. Take Care, pr
    jiggsaw likes this.

williboy is offline Registered+
    Thanks for the simple filter, nice Christmas present for all of us, thanks.

I thought of a better way I'll revise this tomorrow with pics. This one works good if you have a high power fan, but I think it'll work if you use less carbon and just cut one big hole in the end. like a big cigarette filter.
    Last edited by jiggsaw; Dec-31-2011 at 01:51.

DrWalter is offline Registered+
    dont forget you have to wash carbon with cold water to "activate" it
    jiggsaw and boaz like this.
    This post is a figment of your imagination, I am not a real person and this is all made up

cool i didn't know that , makes since though since it goes in fish tanks.
    DrWalter likes this.

It gets the dust layer off that protects filtering abilities of carbon therefore activating it
    This post is a figment of your imagination, I am not a real person and this is all made up

What kinda fan are you using to push air jiggsaw?

I'm using 3 cpu fans the filter is on my most powerful one. It works it just really slows the fan down. The layer of carbon is just too big, It takes away the smell but not totally. I think when make this new version and wet it it'll work way better.

it doesn't have to be wet when you use it just when you want to activate it

Minnesnowta is offline Registered+
    Interesting, how exactly are you mounting this filter to your fans and then into your ducting system? I got a small room I wouldn't mind trying this out in. It would be cool to see some pictures of how you actually use it.

ThePinkJina is offline Registered+
    What up Snowta.. killfrenzi was banned..? And it looks like he had a crop comin down in a few days, you seemed pretty interested. I hope his ban is lifted in time for pics. He had some amazing lookin plants!

Well aside from all that and back to the subject, I made a home-made carbon filter thru the DIY section here. It was pretty simple and it actually works well. Ill hafta go take a pic and post it. I used Kitty Litter Crystals from walmart, I think they cost around $15 for a 7lb bag. It works exactly like activated carbon, you just get more for your money, and its not as messy.
    9  dollar carbon scrubber.-gedc0691.jpg 9  dollar carbon scrubber.-gedc0692.jpg

Hey jigg..? I was wondering the diameter of that tub. it looks almost big enough to fit directly inside a section of 6" or 8" ducting?
    jiggsaw likes this.

I don't know the diameter but it does fit perfectly inside a dryer duct hose. That's the hose I bought, I got it from walmart. I will modify this thing the nest go around to make it more like a cigarette filter, without all those holes on the side and half the carbon. I'll check out yours though too. I just only had quick access to walmart back then and they don't have all those fittings and chicken wire .

Interesting idea with the kitty litter Jina, never thought of that before haha. I'm going to try to soak in as much info as I can about home made carbon filters and then put one together and put it to the test. I'm going to make an effort to spend as little as possible on it, and then hopefully be able to compare it to a store bought carbon filter for the fun of it. As for killfrenzi, yeah he did get banned apparently, I have no idea why, and I guess it might not be a specific incident, but more an accumulation of "strikes" against him that lead to a ban. But yes, that would be great if he was unbanned in time to see his harvest, I always appreciate fast responses and active forum members and their comments/debates with me, so it was sad to see someone go that I can count on to respond to my questions/pictures/suggestions and so on. However, some things just aren't meant to be known, and even if I did know what happened, it probably wouldn't change a thing.. and life goes on haha.

You should definitely post some more details about your carbon filter experience and how you put yours together. I wanna see all kinds before I get started.

Haha.. They'll never keep me (killfrenzi) down. Ill post the harvest pics soon. I just chopped the ladies down yesterday. Took clones yesterday and moved the 6 smaller ones to flower. They are 30" tall and I expect em to get around 5' 5" before harvest. I guess it was a few different posts that took me out. I guess I cant post links to other websites. Thats ok, I learned. Just wanted people to know what I knew... lol.

As for the carbon filter, you'll need: Chicken Wire - 1/4" Holes, A pair of durable pantyhose, 1 x 8" to 6" reducer, 1 x 8" end cap, and 1 x 6" end cap, zip or twist ties. And a roll of duct tape. Oh, and of course some activated carbon or kitty litter crystals.

Form the chicken wire around the 6" end cap, tie together then tape the wire to the cap, slide the pantyhose over the filter leaving it open on top. Next, take the 8" end cap, pantyhose, and chicken wire and do the same thing, cut off about 2" of wire so the 6 is just slightly taller than the 8, after you have the 8" made, place the smaller one inside the 8"er. Once you have the smaller one inside the larger one, add the carbon/crystals around the outside of the 6"er, so the carbon is between the 6 and 8. It should start lookin like a filter by now! Almost done... now, place the reducer over the 2 open ends and the 6" wire should meet up with the 6" opening of the reducer, tape the reducer to the opening and there you have it! You'll want at the very least, 270 CFM to use this filter. The best thing about this filter is: Its reusable, unlike other carbon scrubbers. Just remove the duct tape from the reducer cap, empty the carbon\crystals, and replace with new. Put the cap back on, re-tape and start scrubbin.. lol. Lemme know if you need more info.
    Skihigh and Shovelhead Jed like this.

I sent you an email to your hotmail account I believe, the one in your profile, you should reply back to me, or let me know if you didn't get an email from me and I will try sending one again.

Got it! Ill get em posted!!!

upnsmk is offline Registered+
    Refering to post #17 I swear there used to be a step by step DYI of making that filter on this site several years ago, Im not sure what the guidelines are for thread life, and It has been several years for me but i would like to have those DIY instructions if someone happens to have them floating around. thank you.

Da_Toker is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggsaw View Post
    That's it now just duct tape this beast on your duct and it'll work and it's cheap.
    ok so my question might be simple to answer.. when taping do i need some sort of card board or something to hold it in place ?? or just stuff part of it into the duct and tape up enough to hold it there ? I'm sure that the holes in the jar is where the exhaust comes out so you wouldnt want to tape the whole thing, but does it need to be half in half out i guess is where i am going with this ?
    Bluntman to the rescue !!

I write here for my own entertainment and I fully expect that everything I post, in any form, will be interpreted as for entertainment purposes only and does not imply my actual involvement in any particular activity

memarky is offline Banned
    I'm in the process of making a different kind, twice and years earlier I've used shop bought ones and they always worked perfectly, so I made something of a similar scale of one of those. Computer fans I steered away from, not powerful enough for my 1.2 square metre tent. I checked charity, secondhand shops and market stalls and similar for powerful air fans but could only find something too powerful or not enough. Then couple of weeks later found a very powerful fan in a trashed and dismantled Playstation 3, in a lidless bin on my back street, the PS3 smashed up and dismantled, so someone went ape on it and binned it, or was trashed by someone as a punishment or revenge. It at the moment is waiting for the silicone sealant to set it into the aluminium reducer housing and for me to buy some activated charcoal before i put it all together.
    What I'm using is an alloy reducing housing for the fan, similar shape to a wide cone, some mesh at bottom of that to prevent carbon bits being pulled through the fan and dirtying my room and possibly blocking the fan thus slowing it down, a plastic bleach bottle below that to hold the carbon, with holes melted into its bottom for air intake, and a homemade wire trap in the bottom of that to prevent carbon falling out, and a fabric cover over the holes to prevent dust intake, wired up to a 16v adaptor with wire connectors stripped off to make connections to fan.
    I'll post photos when its finished.
    You need a high power fan for strong smelling strains, I'm growing 3 blue cheese which will stink massively so I need it.
    This Playstation 3 fan is brilliant (not the slimline version of PS3), its ultra quiet and runs on 16v very fast, holding the running fan in my hand, without the homemade reducing housing fitted, and holding my lighter lit 1.5 feet away from the air intake holes and it is still sucking the lighter flame to itself and out.
    Its gonna be better than a shop bought filter, so far has cost me 7 for 2 tubes of silicone sealant and a roll of duct tape, i may just use cut barbecue charcoal if activated charcoal is too dear, doesnt work as good but i could extend the carbon tank (bleach bottle) to make up for that shortfall.
    I've seen some pretty powerful room fans brand new in superstores for 15, they could be pulled apart and adapted for use, but were too dear for me as I wanted to keep costs to less than 20 so the finished filter is less than half price of a shop bought system.
    The alloy cone reducer housing I found in my scrap metal pile, the bleach bottle I decided to use after considering everything I had in my home.
    This PS3 fan is more powerful than 7 computer fans, yous defo need to scale up to this size for strong smelling strains taking up to 1.5 square metres and may be a little more space than that.
    I'll post back soon when its all fitted and running, no rush yet for me as I've only 2 days ago began the flower cycle, be about 2 to 3 weeks when I post back with photos.

memarky is offline Banned
    damn, i burnt out my PS3 fan with wrong voltage running through speed control wire, gonna have to change things around and use 4 or 5 PC fans.