Thread: Preparing rockwool cubes?

Fastcat1 is offline Registered

Preparing rockwool cubes?

What is the best way to prep rockwool cubes for seeds. I started germing some Nirvana white widows using the paper towel method and want to place them in the 1" grodan cubes.

Peace,
    JD
    Last edited by Fastcat1; Aug-30-2009 at 07:43.

headshake is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat1 View Post
    What is the best way to prep rockwool cubes for seeds. I started germing some Nirvana white widows using the paper towel method and want to place them in the 1" grodan cubes.

Peace,
    JD
    soak them in 4.5 to 5.0 pH'd (i pretty sure, lol!) water for 24 hours prior to use.

-shake
    "happy trees"

troubleshooting form

"some of my sweets be tight and some of my sweets be fucked up, but all of my sweets gon' blow so killa smoke gets sucked up..." -Bun B

"But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."
    -Deceleration of Independence

johnnyh is offline Registered
    if the seed is opened up with the sprout. how would be the best way to put the seed in the rockwool without damaging the seed

headshake is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyh View Post
    if the seed is opened up with the sprout. how would be the best way to put the seed in the rockwool without damaging the seed
    very carefully! i haven't used rockwool personally, but i'm sure someone can chime in with tips.

be careful as rockwool has a tendency to hold water.

-shake
    "happy trees"

troubleshooting form

"some of my sweets be tight and some of my sweets be fucked up, but all of my sweets gon' blow so killa smoke gets sucked up..." -Bun B

"But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."
    -Deceleration of Independence

tinytoon is offline Registered+
    soak RW in same PH'd water you plan on using (hydro would be aroun 5.8-6.2) for 24 hours and then "sling" excess water from cube like you were cleaning a paint brush. The few times I use seeds (we constantly clone) we germ in paper towel and when tap root pops I take tweezers and place seed in hole tap end down and lightly drag a piece of RW over top of hole.
    Head hit the nail on the head about RW and water, when first starting seeds you need to have a "feel" for the weight of the cube when it comes to watering. You dont want to water until the cube is just about the same weight as a dry cube and I did say "just about". Dont drown them but dont turn them into dust either hehe
    Last edited by tinytoon; Sep-20-2009 at 11:02.