Cannabis.com

Thread: LEAVES SHRINKING!!!

marianin is offline Registered+

LEAVES SHRINKING!!!

Hi, my plant's leaves are shrinking!
    I transplanted it to a bigger pot and found that the roots were like almost at the bottom, maybe this has something to do with it, I dont know. Also I got a light bulb but I dont know for sure if it helps the plant's growth.
    Philips - 23W EL/mDT 1BC
    HELP!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LEAVES SHRINKING!!!-leaves.jpg  

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

tikiroom is offline Registered+
    First thoughts would be too little light, soil issues??????
    Fill out the troubleshooting form and you will get better suggestions.
    Here's a link. CanCom 'Copy-n-Paste' Troubleshooting Forms
    LSD SCROG #2(Flowering)
    LSD SCROG #1(Finished 89g.)
    My First Grow(Finished Male)
    Any and all posts created by this user are for entertainment purposes only, and are complete works of fiction.

checklist

What is your experience level? First Timer
    Your Equipment:
    .1) Type and wattage of lights.
    I got 1 light, 23W Flourescent (eq=100watts)
    .2) Distance from tops?
    1.5’’, maybe 2’’
    .3) Reflector type?
    Bare Bulb
    .4) Is there a consistent fresh air supply?
    Yes, my window
    .5) Do you have an exhaust fan and a circulation fan?
    No
    .6) What are the bulb wattages, kelvin ratings, and schedule?
    Already answered

Your medium:
    .7) Specific brand and type of soil
    Nutrigarden, prepared soil
    .8) Size of container.
    2.5 L
    .9) Did you use peat pucks (or similar) to root clones or germinate seedlings?
    NO

Your nutrients and water:
    10) Source of water?
    Tap water, Never measured pH
    11) Method of checking water ph.
    None
    12) Method of adjusting water ph.
    None
    13) Specific brand and N-P-K ratio for each bottle. List dosages (quantity per gallon) and current feeding schedule.
    Nutrigarden, nutriflor.
    N= 15%, P2O5=33%, K2O= 7.5%
    14) How often are you watering between feedings, and how much per watering?
    Every 3 days watering, and the nutrients it says to apply every 3 months.
    15) Any additives or tea's?
    None
    16) Are your ph levels stable, or do they fluctuate?
    Don’t know
    17) What is your ingoing water's ph? ...your runoff ph?
    =S
    18) Do you foliar feed? If so, with what, how often, and at what time do you spray? I spray some tap water time to time every day
    Your growroom:
    19) Indoors or outdoors?
    Indoors
    20) What size of closet, room or hut?
    None
    21) What are the temps and humidity levels while lights are on? ...With lights off?
    25-28 C = 77-82 F
    22) Have you seen signs of insects in the growroom?
    Just little ants

Your strain:
    23) What strain are you growing? (Indica dominate or Sativa dom?)
    Sativa dom
    24) From seeds or clones?
    Seeds
    25) Is this an autoflower strain?
    No

Prodaytrader is offline Registered+
    the more I look at it the more I know it's light starvation. See how tall the plant is and how there are several inches of stalk between branches? That's called stretch and stretch is caused when too little light reaches the plant. Also see how your plant is about to fall over? Also, caused by not enough light. The plant is growing tall in an effort to reach the light...so bring the lights closer and bring more of them.

Most people that use CFL's like that tend to use them in clusters of at least 3 per plant.

Home Depot carries a pretty inexpensive line of large wattage CFL's in their flood light section. They put out 100 watts of CFL light all in one bulb. Cost about 20 bucks for the bulbs, never did see the ballast but it cant be much more then 20 or 30 bucks too. Perfect for what your doing here. One fat 100 watt bulb dropped down vertically between your plants aught to work just fine for the 1 or 2 plants your have there.

lights and pot

Hey, well I listened to you guys and moved my plants to separated pots, one plant one pot as you said, also bought a bulb, I didnt find any of 150 light output, but I got a 100 watt equivalent light output, got some nutrients, N=15%, P2=5=33%, K2O=7.5% and hope its all
    my plants are 4.5'' tall and are separeted 3'' from the light bulb, what you say?

Thanks so much for the feedback guys

Also I did the checklist, although I dont know what to compare it to =S

lights and pots

forgot to upload some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LEAVES SHRINKING!!!-lights.jpg   LEAVES SHRINKING!!!-lait.jpg  

The 100 watt equivalent is a 23 watt bulb. You are going to want at least two of those per plant.
    LSD SCROG #2(Flowering)
    Any and all posts created by this user are for entertainment purposes only, and are complete works of fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by tikiroom View Post
    The 100 watt equivalent is a 23 watt bulb. You are going to want at least two of those per plant.
    Ok, thanks so much for the advice!, tomorrow I'll install the lights on!
    also Tikiroom, you told me to check the link out and I did, but I dont know if Im right, wrong or what changes should I make

You are on the right track. imo
    LSD SCROG #2(Flowering)

mess

Things got awfull, now the plant is worst than EVER, leaves shrinking, not more growth, I believe the light burned it, it has a very weak stem, now the TOP leaves look sick, Im gonna upload some photos later, looks we got a DEAD PLANT

u mentioned you bought nutrients. Those plants dont look like they need anything other then water every 3 days. Did you give them any nutrients?

WTF

Well here are some pics of my plants... its pretty sad
    They are 2months old and I'm seriously considering on kill em. =(
    Any solutions?
    just look at the shape...=(
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LEAVES SHRINKING!!!-wtf.jpg  

PD

They had 2 23W(100W eq.) bulbs on for the night and got sunshine when possible
    Had some nutrients just once
    Water each 3 days
    But suddenly started to die

ya I'm afraid that just once on the nutrients, with the transplanting, low light, possibly over watering, and did you mention cfl's at night and sunshine during the day? Only cow man, did you read anything at all before sticking your seeds in the the pot?

Yes, of course I did, but it is pretty hard to understand everything, about the cfls at night and sunshine at day, didnt find anything related at the Lights section, also I read that after 2 months I should star using the nutrients,
    I did the checklist of tikiroom and he said I was doing alright but then again, it didnt work out, I'm planning now on doing a step by step grow guide, checklists, and examples. I bet its gonna be a huuge amount of work but still I'm convinced it will help others like me to grow their plants.
    got some movie about a green man explaining how to make a perfect grow and flower room, but its way too large. I mean he uses the whole basement.
    I dont know about you guys but I was growing to have it like a pet, was never intecioned to kill it or smoke it, I really like the plant and come on here in Mexico you can get some nice weed for like 10Dlls, and I expended like 40Dlls on these plants so you get my point of doing this more for wanting to have a pet than actually smoke some weed.
    Peace and thanks for the advicing and feedback, apreciate it

I also have been and just getting out of your situation. Sometimes no matter how much reading you do, nothing beats real life experience. It is also considerably hard with these forums for other users to know exactly what it is you are doing. The most important thing I have learned so far is, DO NOT OVERREACT! (or a quote from my favorite book and movie, DO NOT PANIC) I made this mistake on my first grow. We try to change everything and beyond at the first sight of problems. Usually what happens is we make so many changes that the plants are stressed beyond all recognition, and if something did work you don't know what it was. These plants are very resilient, if a problem occurs make an educated decision and stick with that resolution for a few days to a week. If the problem persists then you know you were wrong, and can try again. I feel confident in saying that on your next grow you will have good soil that is prepared with perlite for proper drainage, and an adequate amount of lighting before you germinate the seeds.

I have experienced what at the time I thought was being ignored by the veterans of growing on here, but I am coming to realize that they went through this process at the beginning also. So, (imo) they don't bother that much with some people at the beginning of their cultivation endeavors, unless they believe you have done your homework and are applying proven methods that are available, only through dedication of your time.

Sorry for being so long winded. All I was trying to convey is with time it will all come together. I look forward to following your grow log.
    Happy growing
    LSD SCROG #2(Flowering)

these forums are an odd duck for sure. It's the same cycle time and again and none of us here are any different. I still have no idea who founded this site or who amongst them is a moderator or a contributing member. I dont think they exist. Oh well, no biggie. New guys come in ask a ton of questions, those get answered by the ones before them, who then answer the questions for the next group.

So here is what I would do if I were you:

go get a bag of good potting soil from home depot. Get a bag of perlite or vermiculite while your there. This will hold water to extend watering cycles. Make a mix of soil/perlite 70/30. Drop your seed into that about 2" down. Water lightly. Use 2 or 3 gallon pots for the first stage. Water the plant about twice a week as a general rule. The way to make doubly sure is to get a moisture meter and stick it into the soil. Get that at Home Depot too...about 10 bucks. The meter will tell you when to water but in general you want the soil to dry out before the next watering. When the top of the soil looks dry to you, it's still pretty comfortable down low and this is what the plant likes best anyway.

Let your pots sit for about a week and pretty soon you will start to see your shoots. Shoots dont need that much light. A single 23 watt cfl (stop calling them equivalents [everyone here already knows the difference anyway]) bulb will be sufficient for your shoots and be fine for the first week after you start to see real leaves, not the tiny little feed bags that you see when they first pop out of the shell. When you see 2 sets of leaves your ready for more light. Add another cfl into the mix. After 3 days under 2 x 23watt cfl's your ready to give them real light. In your case it will be the large cfl bulbs you mentioned earlier. The more light the better hommie. Most of us are using at a minimum of 250 watts and usually arent happy till we achieve 1000 watts across 6 plants. My grow space is 2'x3' and I use 600 watts across 7 plants. That's way more then your using that's for sure. The light cycle is simple. 18 hours on, 6 hours off. When your at Home Depot buy a timer. It wont matter which one as long as it's a daily timer that you can plug your lights into. Set the timer to come on at one time and shut off at another. You water every few days and that's it, ur done. This is called the veg stage. Let the plants grow in the veg state for about 4 or 5 weeks. Keep in mind that however tall you let the plant get too in this first stage, it will double in size by stage 2. Keep that in your head. When your ready to start flowering, I would recommend you do a transplant into a larger container with fresh soil. I wont get into the whole vitamins and minerals theory with you, but trust me, you will want fresh soil for this first grow. When your ready, change the timer to 12 hours of light, 12 hours of dark. The dark has to be completely dark and there is just no wiggle room at all there. If your not keeping the plants in utter, total darkness during lights out, then you will be wasting your time. Watch your heat in the grow space. Temps above 85 will hurt your plant badly.

OK, fingers hurt....im done. This should get you started and as best as possible accounts for all variables that I can think of when dealing with soil. Once the plants start growing you can continue to read up on why people do one thing or another to increase yields. Your yields will be minimal with the setup I described but I'm pretty sure you will be plenty happy with the results. Good luck.