Thread: rockwool ph problems

Illusion is offline Registered+

rockwool ph problems

Ive been reading so much about the ph problems with rockwool... is it possible to root the seedlings directly into clay pebbles? I know that it would be much harder to support the plant, and it would also risk light exposure to the roots probably... but does anyone do it?

PharmaCan is offline Registered+
    Wouldn't it be easier to just soak the rockwool in conditioner and use it? ...or, you could use rapid rooters.

Trying to root directly in the clay pepples sounds like it would be wrought with problems.

PC
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

All of this is just pretend. But if I grew marijuana, it would be in strict compliance with California Law, SB420.

Live wild - it's too late to die young.

"Let the old men who make the wars, fight the wars."

lmdesade is offline Registered+
    Go, with rapid rooters or Oasis cubes, or even perlite. Rockwool isn't biodegradeable. It is also way overpriced for what it is unless you are going to use the 1" cubes.

kz1000r is offline Registered+
    I condition my rockwool cubes and have no problems with ph

a hydro buddy told me to be sure to always pre-soak the rockwool for awhile (I think he suggested couple days, don't really remember), to get the pH settled ...

So If I soaked the rockwool in 5.5 PH water for 3 days... The PH of the water would still be 5.5 at the third day? Or would it raise/drop

I found rockwool for 10 cents per 1.5x1.5x1.5" cubes, and a dollar for 3"x3"x4" blocks.
    that doesn't seem too overpriced to me...

I was just worried about the PH fluctuations...

For the Rockwool Growers::
    Would you STILL recommend using a rapid rooter or oasis cube?

Can Rapid Rooter plugs be purchased at like... Home dePot or Lowes?

I live in an area that literally has zero hydroponic shops...

PharmaCan is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    Can Rapid Rooter plugs be purchased at like... Home dePot or Lowes?

I live in an area that literally has zero hydroponic shops...
    I've never seen the rapid rooters anywhere other than at hydro shops. The big box stores carry peat pellets, which look like kinda like rapid rooters but are a completely differrent substance and are NOT good for rooting clones. Rapid rooters don't weigh much - order them online.

Some of the rockwool cubes have a hole in them that is a perfect fit for the rapid rooters, so, yes, you can root in RR's and then go to rockwool.

As far as soaking goes - the pH of the cube will go down and the pH of the solution will go up. Hopefully, after the soaking, you will have a pH of 5.7 - <7.

PC
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

All of this is just pretend. But if I grew marijuana, it would be in strict compliance with California Law, SB420.

Live wild - it's too late to die young.

"Let the old men who make the wars, fight the wars."