Thread: ppm of tap water - whats tolerable?

Dr. VanNostrin is offline Registered+

ppm of tap water - whats tolerable?

is there a cutoff level for ppm of tap water where it shouldnt be used? i use distilled and am wondering if i even have to.

gainesvillegreen is offline Registered+
    It really depends on the contents of the water more than the actual TDS levels; however, I would say the 250-300PPM area for tops. I have used it higher (400PPM) with no problems though, so...

herbie the love bud is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. VanNostrin View Post
    is there a cutoff level for ppm of tap water where it shouldnt be used? i use distilled and am wondering if i even have to.
    Some people say 200. But I use RO water so I can't tell you for sure.

xcrispi is offline Registered+
    General Hydro recomends hardwater micro after 200- or 220 ppm .
    I'd say anything over 220 ppm is good reason to use distilled / r/o .
    Peace
    Crispi

if my tap water is in the 400s, could i just dilute it with distilled instead of using just distilled and adding cal-mag? my goal is to not have to buy tons of distilled water and not to have to add cal-mag

if my tap water is in the 400s, could i just dilute it with distilled instead of using just distilled and adding cal-mag? my goal is to not have to buy tons of distilled water and not to have to add cal-mag
    You absolutely can, that keeps a good level of the nutrients you're missing in distilled alone.

Is there anyway you can put in an RO system? A good one should cost between $150 and $200. Either way you won't need a lot of CalMag. I use a half a teaspoon per gallon now (2.5 ml).

how do ro systems work? i dont mean how do they purify the water, i mean how do they hook up to your water system? i thought i saw something about it taking time for the ro system to produce the water. is that right?

Mississippi Steve is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by gainesvillegreen View Post
    It really depends on the contents of the water more than the actual TDS levels; however, I would say the 250-300PPM area for tops. I have used it higher (400PPM) with no problems though, so...
    I am still trying to figure out PPM of what?? Chlorine?? Bromine?? Sodium Chloride?? Fecal Solids?? what?? I don't understand "TDS levels".
    READ MY LIPS!!!
    WEED, SCHOOLS AND/OR CARS DON'T MIX!!!

Don't put yourself in a position where somebody has to *DO* something about it in the first place!!

Pacifism is a luxury paid for by warriors.

http://boards.cannabis.com/cannabis-...c-blue-f2.html

They generally use a saddle clamp to connect the 1/4" supply line, then they have a line to the drain and a line to a tank or rez.

Pretty simple. Yes, they do produce water slowly, generally 25 gallons per day. The faster the production, the more expensive, although I saw a 90 gallon per day system for $200.

how do ro systems work? i dont mean how do they purify the water, i mean how do they hook up to your water system? i thought i saw something about it taking time for the ro system to produce the water. is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Steve View Post
    I am still trying to figure out PPM of what?? Chlorine?? Bromine?? Sodium Chloride?? Fecal Solids?? what?? I don't understand "TDS levels".
    Not sure if that was a question or just rhetorical. Yup, you're right. PPM of tap water doesn't mean shit. Doesn't have sticker on the water with "Guaranteed Analysis".

Mississippi Steve is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by herbie the love bud View Post
    Not sure if that was a question or just rhetorical. Yup, you're right. PPM of tap water doesn't mean shit. Doesn't have sticker on the water with "Guaranteed Analysis".
    Actually it was a question...having a little chemistry background, and playing around with my own grow, I would like to know what they are talking about.

BTW there are test strips that are available for aquarium water that will give you levels of a dozen chemicals and minerals for just a couple of bucks.
    READ MY LIPS!!!
    WEED, SCHOOLS AND/OR CARS DON'T MIX!!!

Don't put yourself in a position where somebody has to *DO* something about it in the first place!!

Pacifism is a luxury paid for by warriors.

http://boards.cannabis.com/cannabis-...c-blue-f2.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Steve View Post
    Actually it was a question...having a little chemistry background, and playing around with my own grow, I would like to know what they are talking about.

BTW there are test strips that are available for aquarium water that will give you levels of a dozen chemicals and minerals for just a couple of bucks.
    Wikipedia - T.D.S.

TDS is Total Dissolved Solids, or the measurement of ions and some other substances dissolved in the water. This is a measurement of the ions/salts in a soution. In your setup, this is basically measuring the amount of fertilizer/material in your water that your plant can/will absorb.

Quote from wiki: "The most common chemical constituents are calcium, phosphates, nitrates, sodium, potassium and chloride."

See the most common constituents? Notice the nitrates for N supply, phosphates for P, and potassium for K? Calcium and magnesium are also fairly common in this application, especially in 'harder' waters.
    Last edited by gainesvillegreen; Feb-25-2008 at 14:38.