Thread: DWC vs Ebb and Flow

snakeman is offline Registered

DWC vs Ebb and Flow

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are for a first time hydro grow. also a fairly small scale operation about 6 plants max

nimo_253 is offline Registered
    you can't go wrong with either but I would prefer DWC. I've done both and I was able to pull more out of DWC than what I did with E&F.

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    IMHO if you are running a very small number of plants, and intend to let them get to a decent size before flowering, or if you are growing from seed [unsexed], or running more than one strain, a DWC module for each plant is a really nice method. See treetops, xcrispi, the image reaper, and weedhound grows for ideas. Weedhound has a couple VERY in-depth logs that show the benefits AND drawbacks of the method and how to troubleshoot them.

Ebb-n-flow is effective if you have access to female clones and want to cram a bunch of smaller plants of the same strain into a smaller footprint.

herbie the love bud is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    IMHO if you are running a very small number of plants, and intend to let them get to a decent size before flowering, or if you are growing from seed [unsexed], or running more than one strain, a DWC module for each plant is a really nice method. See treetops, xcrispi, the image reaper, and weedhound grows for ideas. Weedhound has a couple VERY in-depth logs that show the benefits AND drawbacks of the method and how to troubleshoot them.

Ebb-n-flow is effective if you have access to female clones and want to cram a bunch of smaller plants of the same strain into a smaller footprint.
    Stinky is right. I think ebb and flow is more common for sea of green situations. Otherwise DWC is great. I find it to be pretty easy. I haven't reached a gram per watt yet, but I'm close and on my way.

Help_Needed is offline Registered+
    One thing to keep in mind if there's any doubt about you being able to control temps in your grow room - Ebb-n-flow is MUCH more tolerant of non-optimal reservoir temperatures than DWC is.

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    GREAT point H_N!
    Temps are a stumbling block for lots of growers. The most tolerant of all is NFT, since the water is in constant motion though the system and tends to air-equilibrate very well. You don't see a lot of growers running it, but you DO see a decent number of COMMERCIAL growers using various types of NFT setups.

herbie the love bud is offline Registered+
    Interesting point about NFT and temperatures. I'm heading towards a HOT summer. What does NFT stand for?

mushaboom is offline Registered+
    nutrient film technique?

snakeman is offline Registered
    thanks guys I've decided to run a few bubbler buckets, hope it works out