Cannabis.com

Thread: Hollow Stems??

H. Jablome is offline Registered

Hollow Stems??

I just harvested my grow (ebb&flow, coco/hydroton, GH nutes, 400watt hps) and saw that the stems are all hollow. I don't remember seeing this in any of my soil grows, but then again, I don't remember much these days anyway . Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has seen this. I wonder if it has to do with the hydroponics. I'm re-vegging and it is going to be interesting to see what becomes of these hollow stems. Every one is hollow. All the side-branches as well as the main trunk. All hollow.

Thanks,
    Heywood

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Yes, stems that are more than about 1/8" in diameter are hollow. You might have cut into the BASE of the main stalk before, where it is actually solid, and not noticed.
    If you top or prune a branch and find that the hollow part is exposed, I recommend plugging it with a plastic chunk to keep out pathogens.

H. Jablome is offline Registered
    Thanks. I beleive you are correct in that I have always just chopped down the plant before and never saw the hollow parts. I wonder what the plant does to try and heal this?

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    The hollow parts are not actually a problem. Think of a bicycle. It is made to be LIGHT, and STRONG. Tubular steel uses less materials and gives good rigidity. Many fast-growing herbaceous plants have hollow centers. They use less carbon, and therefor less of the plant's energy, to put on structural mass, leaving MORE energy to go into vertical growth and eventually sexual reproduction. Think of bamboo too- it's a classic example of a plant that just SOARS upwards, is VERY VERY strong, and is hollow!