Cannabis.com

Thread: Explain to me TDS, PPM, EC...

WeedTree's is offline Registered+

Explain to me TDS, PPM, EC...

Can someone explain to me Total Disolved Solids, Parts per Million, and EC? I know readings are different for different nutrients/rez. sizes etc. but is there a general rule of thumb what should be what?

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+

LOC NAR on probation is offline Registered+
    Very good answer, I'll have to mark that page.

Is that what you were looking for ? Remeber it will tell you PPM's but not what chemical it is. The water companies put chlorine and flouride in the water and many peeps think if you let it sit overnight the chlorine evaporates. Sorry to tell you it does just enough to not smell. Check with meter before and after. Many TDS stays in the water. Being a heart attack patient this bothers me because there are many solids still in the water clogging up your viens. I try to drink what my plants drink R/O water. if I want other things like nutes or vitimans I put them in there. On the other hand well water has iron and minerals but still you don't know what just how much.

Manufactures specs on nutes should be the same no matter what size rez you have. We talk mostly about PPM's because that is most common coversion of TDS and EC.

I mix nutes to the PPM of what stage I'm in. veg is lowwer than flower. In R/O water that starts at 0. Then I mix additives like calmag, superthive, bud blood, bigbud, carboload or what every you use even molasses.

Not quite sure what the question is about rule of thumb except alway mix nutes first to what level you want. Some mixes I make can reach 1400 PPM's at flower time all together.

squeakerpie is offline Registered
    Could you elaborate more on the PPM's with your R/O filter and calmag? I'm attempting to use a decent R/O (i get 17 ppm) with the Gen Hydro 3 part Flora series. After severe deformities and malnurishment, I found out that Calmag is a must!! So now the growth is instantly back to normal and going fast. But, unfortunately the leaves have a tiger striped yellow/green look almost like under fert possibly. I called the tech at G.H. and I think it was the biggest waiste of time in my life (see another thread). Anyway, so far there has been nobody I can find who can shoot from the hip with personal experience a clear answer about the Gen Hydro 3 part PPM's.

I've seen a million grow log's and a billion posts discussing PPM's and how important they are yada yada.... but no posts (save a few) that have ANY numbers of mixed ppm's listed (especially GH 3 part).

I know it sounds like I'm bitching, and I'm completely open to the possibility that I'm way over complicating it. But I've posted this question several times and NO NUMBERS!!

peace

Veritas1983 is offline Registered

what does rez mean??

What do people mean when they say rez?

Sorry I sayt rez because I can't spell rezervour. LOL

Some system are connected to a large tank of nutrients to keep all containers to a gravity level. Makes it easier you just check PH.

Zeffer is offline Registered+

See whatta mean !

""""" ...Anyway, so far there has been nobody I can find who can shoot from the hip with personal experience a clear answer about the Gen Hydro 3 part PPM's.
    I've seen a million grow log's and a billion posts discussing PPM's and how important they are yada yada.... but no posts (save a few) that have ANY numbers of mixed ppm's listed (especially GH 3 part).

I know it sounds like I'm bitching.... But I've posted this question several times and NO NUMBERS!! """""

peace

Dude i had the same problem !
    Apparently, the people who provide answers are so far along in this
    field of science, that they forget what it is like to be a, " new grower ".
    Love the knowledgeable ones but it's difficult to get the ANSWERS
    ( as a newbe ) that we post. It's a communication thing. It's us not them !
    Take me for instance ! Most people don't know what the fug i'm say'n even
    though we speak English ! Cuz'n the fact i throw in slang lang. It's intended
    to be on the lite side ( humor ! ) but they don't get.They can't tell Humor from Fact.... But in time we all get it!
    Just keep on keep'n on ! Right, just keep reading, read read read.
    Only other trick, where to post, how to post and all the other duedas with it.
    All this shitz has fuk me up and will continue to do so for awhile !
    So in conclusion, as one of the most knowledgeable posters here said,
    " all the answers are already here, yuh, just gotta know how to SEARCH !,"
    and speak without fork'Ntongue or something like that ! yeah, more incorrect
    word usage from ( you know who ) ZZZZZZZZZZeffer !

Zeffer is offline Registered+

Explain to me TDS, PPM, EC...

Weedtree Weedtree's, it takes time emphasis on the word ( time )
    looks/sounds like this: time ma ! ! am i just humoring myself here OMG ! i am uh!
    butt this is still fun,

Zappa, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, fan for...
    Life, Liberty and the " Pursuit of Hap Hap Happiness."

Zeffermen

Daddynobucks is offline Registered+

maybe

General Hydroponics Flora Nutrient PPM Calculator

Daddy
    ps, all meters measure EC convert to ppm or TDS by multipling with a factor of either 0.50, 0.65, 0.68 , 0.70, depending on the manufacturer, tis why if everyone used EC for the standard we would ALL be on the same page. kapesh
    Last edited by Daddynobucks; Jul-20-2010 at 20:29.

GetThisOrDie is offline Registered+
    Daddy that calculator is sweet. I wonder if Fox farms has something like that....

DISCLAIMER: everything I post and say are lies. I am simply roleplaying. All photos were found on the internet and/or fake!! I do not grow or use anything illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by WeedTree's View Post
    Can someone explain to me Total Disolved Solids, Parts per Million, and EC? I know readings are different for different nutrients/rez. sizes etc. but is there a general rule of thumb what should be what?
    Sorry I was medicated.

Do you want to know the mixing of GH 3 part. Like the PPM mix number of ml per gallon of water ?

latewood has a very good modified Lucas formula. The lucas works good but latewoods is better for me. When we first started I think we did GH 3part like 1-2-3 then in flower turn to 3-2-1 at 5ml to 15ml per part per gallon of water. Depends on how strong you want it.

This is why the meter is sooooo important. Other wise your really flying blind.

TDS. EC. and PPM are all the same thing. Ec is electrical conductivity measured in the solution which we figure total disolved solids from which gives us a parts per million counts.
    Last edited by LOC NAR on probation; Jul-21-2010 at 08:15.

medicatedman is offline Registered+

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Daddynobucks View Post
    General Hydroponics Flora Nutrient PPM Calculator

Daddy
    ps, all meters measure EC convert to ppm or TDS by multipling with a factor of either 0.50, 0.65, 0.68 , 0.70, depending on the manufacturer, tis why if everyone used EC for the standard we would ALL be on the same page. kapesh
    daddy sorry for jumping in asking a question, in my areo system I have roots flowing into my res is that ok.