Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Any Cannabis-like plant I can PRACTICE growing with?

  1. #1
    ostropolier is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2009
    Posts
    3

    Any Cannabis-like plant I can PRACTICE growing with?

    I am a bare amature grower.

    My biggest obstacle besides lack of experience seems to be lack of privacy.

    I want to go out and buy the equipment I'd need for a purely indoor setup but before I spend all that money, I want to be able to PRACTICE growing something with hydroponics, hopefully something with growth behavior and requirements as close to cannabis as possible.

    Is there a 100% legal herb or vegetable that would be good PRACTICE to grow hydroponically before I went and spend good money on feminized seeds? I'm afraid that me buying all that equipment will trip all kinds of red flags with local law enforcement, I want to pretty much get the setup together and do practice crops in case cops or nosey meter readers get in my face my very first time.

    Sorry for the rambling post but you get the idea.

  2. #2
    seattlesmoke247's Avatar
    seattlesmoke247 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug-27-2008
    Posts
    416
    Hops possibly.

  3. #3
    dejayou30 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun-05-2006
    Posts
    1,585
    Tomatoes
    The above post is fictional and should in no way be taken as truth.

    If I were to grow cannabis, I would only do so to supply myself and my close friends. Doing this would take myself and my friends out of harms way by knowing the source of our cannabis, as well as take hundreds of thousands of dollars off the black market annually. It would also lower the demand of black market cannabis, and would ultimately help keep cannabis out of the hands of minors.

  4. #4
    herbie the love bud is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug-06-2007
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by ostropolier View Post
    I am a bare amature grower.

    My biggest obstacle besides lack of experience seems to be lack of privacy.

    I want to go out and buy the equipment I'd need for a purely indoor setup but before I spend all that money, I want to be able to PRACTICE growing something with hydroponics, hopefully something with growth behavior and requirements as close to cannabis as possible.

    Is there a 100% legal herb or vegetable that would be good PRACTICE to grow hydroponically before I went and spend good money on feminized seeds? I'm afraid that me buying all that equipment will trip all kinds of red flags with local law enforcement, I want to pretty much get the setup together and do practice crops in case cops or nosey meter readers get in my face my very first time.

    Sorry for the rambling post but you get the idea.
    I don't know, but when you ARE ready, don't buy feminized seeds. The way they guarantee a high likelyhood of female is by stressing the "donor" plant to the point that it hermaphrodites and the resultant seeds are likely female ("feminized") however they also carry the hermie trait.

    So get some real seeds, grow them all out, clone for sex and destroy your males, pick your best female and she's your new mother.

  5. #5
    trinitybound's Avatar
    trinitybound is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-20-2008
    Posts
    113
    I asked my uncle how to grow pot and he said "Just like you grow tomatoes"
    He had some nice 15' sativas and some great afghani.
    And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

    My Perpetual CFL Cabinet Adventure
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...adventure.html

  6. #6
    socialistpete is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan-05-2007
    Posts
    686
    I have a better idea, don't grow if your so paranoid that you think buying grow equipment will alert local authorities to you.
    I'm back after a long break!!

  7. #7
    axxxxe's Avatar
    axxxxe is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug-22-2008
    Posts
    114
    If you can grow anything you can grow weed its that simple. I agree with socialistpete if you are already worried you shouldnt do it as it will drive you nuts. Why not move to better location before starting this project.I wish you the best of luck. Peace

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan-29-2006
    Posts
    6,689
    tomatoes ... they're even related to cannabis, in some distant manner ... plus, they taste good ... I sometimes grow the exotics, seeds are available here: Tomato Growers Supply Company: Tomato seeds, Pepper seeds, Eggplant seeds. More than 500 varieties. Hybrid tomato seeds, Heirloom tomato seeds, hot chiles, sweet peppers, tomatillos and eggplants, plus garden supplies, garden books, and posters. ... cheap seeds, too ... you're smart, ahead of the curve, for choosing to try something else, first

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan-29-2006
    Posts
    6,689
    P.S. ...... being a WEED. cannabis is amazingly easy to grow (I still can't grow tomatoes worth a damn )

  10. #10
    ostropolier is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by socialistpete View Post
    I have a better idea, don't grow if your so paranoid that you think buying grow equipment will alert local authorities to you.
    Paranoia is a cardinal virtue in this line of work and anyone who suggests otherwise belongs in a taxable profession.

  11. #11
    WildFire.ca's Avatar
    WildFire.ca is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-20-2007
    Posts
    311

  12. #12
    SheCutEmDown is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-01-2008
    Posts
    75
    I have always wonders what plant they use to grow those legal bugs. I tried looking it up the other day with no luck. Find out what plant they use and grow it. You can even smoke the product to see if you flushed well, and how the nutrients you used effected taste.

    Have Fun

  13. #13
    socialistpete is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan-05-2007
    Posts
    686
    I'm sorry I need to clarify my previous post. That was sarcasm. Your local authorities or any authorities for that matter are not going to even know you bought grow equipment. You, like most others have been fed paranoid misinformation. If your not on parole or probation chances are no one is watching you, or even if you were there is not enough big brothers in this country to watch the moves every single person makes.

    Here's 3 simple rules to not get caught:

    1. Don't tell anybody

    2. Don't tell anybody

    3. Don't tell anybody

    Even all that bullshit about helicopters with IR, high electric bills, and what ever else your "friends" have told you is total BULLSHIT.

    So what I'm really trying to say here is grow your own weed for personal use and have fun doing it!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm back after a long break!!

  14. #14
    axxxxe's Avatar
    axxxxe is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug-22-2008
    Posts
    114
    Using common sense and the rule dont tell any one are 1st and formost in my book. But I maintain that if you are that nervous you should wait. Confidence is the best way to go thru life there aren't monsters out there that are going to get you, so there is no need to worry just think things thru and practice adapting to different situations. Smoke a bud and get your plan figured out. Good luck ! peace

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan-29-2006
    Posts
    6,689
    and, don't tell anybody

  16. #16
    ostropolier is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Mar-17-2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by socialistpete View Post
    I'm sorry I need to clarify my previous post. That was sarcasm. Your local authorities or any authorities for that matter are not going to even know you bought grow equipment. You, like most others have been fed paranoid misinformation. If your not on parole or probation chances are no one is watching you, or even if you were there is not enough big brothers in this country to watch the moves every single person makes.

    Here's 3 simple rules to not get caught:

    1. Don't tell anybody

    2. Don't tell anybody

    3. Don't tell anybody

    Even all that bullshit about helicopters with IR, high electric bills, and what ever else your "friends" have told you is total BULLSHIT.

    So what I'm really trying to say here is grow your own weed for personal use and have fun doing it!!!!!!!!!!!

    No harm no foul..

    But yeah, all I want to do is bring my first crop to fruit without having to stress out over privacy issues...plus I want to be able to openly and honestly ask the Hydro store owner for advice.

  17. #17
    Forwhat420 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-06-2004
    Posts
    484
    And Dont Tell Anyone!!! If you have any questions you have found the right place. Just go for it, get some good bag seed and go for it.
    YEA

  18. #18
    LOC NAR on probation is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-02-2007
    Posts
    1,870
    If you talk to hydro store guy be very general. Your are better off discussing it here. Don't tell any one no matter how hard it is not to share your success.

    My number one rule is. DO NOT SHOW ANYONE. That was the only way my nephew busted me. I bragged and showed him. 3 years down the drain cause he got popped for coke. We can go to the coffe house and talk all day but when the cops show up at your door they must have you selling to a narc or the narc giving them a complete description of your setup.. Do not open the door for cops. Run and destroy all you can, what are they going to do. Make it worse ?

    I'm here because what is said here can not get a warrant on me, even if I show pic's I could get them from anywhere and who's to know.

  19. #19
    denialisback's Avatar
    denialisback is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-28-2009
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by ostropolier View Post
    No harm no foul..

    But yeah, all I want to do is bring my first crop to fruit without having to stress out over privacy issues...plus I want to be able to openly and honestly ask the Hydro store owner for advice.
    you live in canada its legal.. what you worrying about man.

    Peace,
    Denial
    why not checkout my redhair skunk, WhiteWidow, K2 grow : http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...-grow-log.html

  20. #20
    BigLeagueJew's Avatar
    BigLeagueJew is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-15-2009
    Posts
    182

    umm..

    Quote Originally Posted by denialisback View Post
    you live in canada its legal.. what you worrying about man.

    Peace,
    Denial
    It's not legal in all provinces of Canada unfortunately but as far as other plants I think hops would be good since it is part of the same family of plants.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan-29-2006
    Posts
    6,689
    Quote Originally Posted by denialisback View Post
    you live in canada its legal.. what you worrying about man.

    Peace,
    Denial
    ya gotta keep in mind, the police aren't the only 'enemy' of growers ... for every cop out there, there's a hundred 'pot thieves' ...

  22. #22
    Treetops's Avatar
    Treetops is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-20-2006
    Posts
    592
    ostropolier,
    If you have smoked some good weed in your past, I'm sure you have saved some seeds...Grow a grow of two and then take the plunge...thats what I did....still learnin and enjoyin each and every day of doing so..

    Peace,
    Treetops

  23. #23
    veggii's Avatar
    veggii is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-13-2007
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by ostropolier View Post
    I am a bare amature grower.

    My biggest obstacle besides lack of experience seems to be lack of privacy.

    I want to go out and buy the equipment I'd need for a purely indoor setup but before I spend all that money, I want to be able to PRACTICE growing something with hydroponics, hopefully something with growth behavior and requirements as close to cannabis as possible.

    Is there a 100% legal herb or vegetable that would be good PRACTICE to grow hydroponically before I went and spend good money on feminized seeds? I'm afraid that me buying all that equipment will trip all kinds of red flags with local law enforcement, I want to pretty much get the setup together and do practice crops in case cops or nosey meter readers get in my face my very first time.

    Sorry for the rambling post but you get the idea.
    Tomato growers make excellent cannabis growers! and cannabis will thrive next to your tomato plants in the garden !! ...
    California State Law prop 215 Compassionate Use Act of 1996

    Federal Law for the Masses

    California Co-Ops

    California Delivery Services

    http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6630507/fulltext.html

    Controlled_Substances_Act
    Quote Originally Posted by BillofRights;
    Amendment X
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

  24. #24
    Daddynobucks's Avatar
    Daddynobucks is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-27-2009
    Posts
    293

    one more thing

    Here's 3 simple rules to not get caught:

    1. Don't tell anybody

    2. Don't tell anybody

    3. Don't tell anybody

    you forgot DON'T TELL ANYBODY

    or move to a state that has a medical marijuana program and develope some incurable desease

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •