Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hydro System

NFT Nate is offline Registered

New Hydro System

You guys/gals might be interested in my new Hydro system. Its made with 5x5vinyl fence post with 3 3" holes in the top. This is an NFT system that has a stand that is made with 3/4" pvc tubing. It has a 396gph pump that pumps the nutrient into 2 4' sections. Check out the pics to see what I mean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Hydro System-im000496.jpg   New Hydro System-im000497.jpg   New Hydro System-17f0c2f6d-0365-d928-59ceddd5d4b587d7.jpg  

New Hydro System-im000488.jpg   New Hydro System-im000482.jpg  

I recently added the valves (red knobbed deals) so I can now adjust how fast i want the water to move inside the tube

LOC NAR1958 is offline Registered+
    Looks well thought out. Good deal. Now let's get some plants in there. I bet you can't wait. Welcome NFT.

The White Snoop is offline Registered+
    Nice look!

latewood is offline Banned
    I've been meaning t0 get down to hopot to buy some of that fencepost...lol good start.

lw

hazeywonder is offline Registered
    Very nice that post is expensive hu.. i was looking into it once and it was like 25 bucks a post has it come down in price at all?
    very nice system

they are around 20 bucks, give or take a few$

They are $30 for a 8' piece. Total cost is about 60 bucks.

payn4school is offline Registered
    I thought you could buy square pvc somewhere? Whatever happened to that?
    I am about to start building a 4 by 8 aeroponics setup, 120 is pricy for 4, 8 foot sections. I was hoping it could be done with pvc for half that.

What is that fence post made of? Correct me if Im wrong but you are just recirculating the water, not spraying it right?

moreover123 is offline Registered+
    Will the pump be on 24/7? Or what times/lengths will it turn on? Does the water spray the roots inside or drip from the top?

hazeywonder is offline Registered
    Yeah you can just use round pvc but its expensive too the thing i found was that if you use anything under 4"? or 6" one of those its been a while. That if you dont get a real tight seal on the net pot that the rounded top tends to let it leak. That post is nice though real nice work there lots of though and effort.

I just got back from the depot. Are you using the posts that come with the wood inside? Those were the only ones I could find. Where are they susposed to be? Those had a good 6i inch notch cut out of the bottoms as well. im going to try the web site, I think my hd just blows. its always a wreck.

I also picked up a sediment filter for like 30 bones, that should solve my mister clogging problems. Just have to test to see how much the flow is reduced.

peace

This is an NFT system. Nutrient Film Technique, also known as Nutrient Flow Technique. There is a pump in a nutrient sump that pumps 24/7. First, the pump pushes the water to the start of the Tube..then..the water flows down into a drain that returns to the sump. The water in the Tube(fencepost) is about 2 inches deep and flows however fast i want it to because of the valves. The roots dangle into the constantley moving solution and grow like mad.

Payn, just make sure that filter wont filter out your nutes. And yes its a recirculating system..which is known as an NFT system.

Trivium is offline Banned
    That NFT system is great, and looks very efficient. Great job nate.

Quote Originally Posted by payn4school
    I thought you could buy square pvc somewhere? Whatever happened to that?
    I am about to start building a 4 by 8 aeroponics setup, 120 is pricy for 4, 8 foot sections. I was hoping it could be done with pvc for half that.

What is that fence post made of? Correct me if Im wrong but you are just recirculating the water, not spraying it right?
    It is pvc fencing post...they make 4x4 and 5x5...and you can build nft like nate or aero or drip or a hybrid, there are no limits with this design. lw

I just got back from the depot. Are you using the posts that come with the wood inside? Those were the only ones I could find. Where are they susposed to be? Those had a good 6i inch notch cut out of the bottoms as well. im going to try the web site, I think my hd just blows. its always a wreck.

I also picked up a sediment filter for like 30 bones, that should solve my mister clogging problems. Just have to test to see how much the flow is reduced.

peace
    no, they are hollow pvc

thanks good find, but did you figure shipping? Watch out, sometimes you find a good price like that and get burned on shipping...but those blanks are cool and in any length practically...later

Well I have been unable to get a shipping quote from http://www.academyfence.com/vinylposts.asp despite several emails and phone calls. I guess they are just too busy to deal with my relatively small order.

Anyways, Where did you get your fence post Nate? you never did mention that. I need to start building my new aeroponics setup and these fence post are all that im missing.

thanks
    payn

Zandor is offline Registered+
    Lowes stock them at HD you need to special order them. They are in the fence section not the regular lumber section. That link to that NJ company is expensive, even the end caps are costly. Lowes is a better price if you are lucky enough to have close to you.
    Peace
    Zandor

If you go cheap you grow cheap. - Me

Lynndog is offline Registered
    I have a friend who learned how to make your system..well looks alot alike while he was in Amsterdam going to glass blowing school..ha ha.....
    I,ve been looking all over for more info on your system ....thank you...I think his was a aeroponic fence post ...but the nutrient drained like an ebb and flow system after it hit the bottom of the post...Im looking for a set of plans or info on the best way to attach the lines and emitters on the inside of the fence post in relationship to the plant sites....any info would be helpful...and thanks for your great pictures and ideas....LYNDOG

KHAN is offline Registered+

Lynndog is offline Registered

Thumbs up great ...just a few questions..

Quote Originally Posted by NFT Nate View Post
    This is an NFT system. Nutrient Film Technique, also known as Nutrient Flow Technique. There is a pump in a nutrient sump that pumps 24/7. First, the pump pushes the water to the start of the Tube..then..the water flows down into a drain that returns to the sump. The water in the Tube(fencepost) is about 2 inches deep and flows however fast i want it to because of the valves. The roots dangle into the constantley moving solution and grow like mad.

Payn, just make sure that filter wont filter out your nutes. And yes its a recirculating system..which is known as an NFT system.
    nate, are you running your nft system all the time constant or in intervals ?
    thanks for the hel. Lyndog

Fade is offline Registered+
    The answer to your question is cleverly hidden in your quote, originally posted by NFT Nate.

24/7

Fade is offline Registered+
    I imagine by the time your done vegging those posts are going to be packed solid with roots!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast