Thread: HELP on FEEDING SEEDLINGS

Weedhound is offline Registered+

HELP on FEEDING SEEDLINGS

Ok I have heard about 9 million different things about feeding seedlings and my head is going to explode which will not be pretty. Here is what I was taught: can transplant to hydro when there is an established root system and begin feeding at 1/4 strength nutes (obviously ph correct). My sprouts are usually about 5-7 days old when I put them in hydro and start 1/4 strength feeding. Is this wrong, right, or ????? AGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!
    Thank you---please ignore the basic insanity.

L3G10N is offline Registered+
    Latewood says no nutes until there are like 4 or 5 alternating nodes... until then, He suggests using superthrive at 1/4 tsp per gallon.

Really? Just the superthrive? Wow, never heard of that. So just ph balanced water and superthrive? And once they have the 4-5 nodes then what?

then you can start with nutes, diluted at first and then work your way up to full strength.

MisterE is offline Registered+
    When the plant has 4 or 5 sets of true leaves is the advice I'd seen. Alternating nodes would be pretty far along to be using plain water I think? That'd be about time to flower them, no?

I also think that there is a lot of room for experimenting
    My little ones only have 2 sets of leaves and I'm using tiny amounts of 3 part. About 1/4 less than recommended on the bottles for 'seedlings'.

I dont know jack, but so far no visible harm and I'm watching like a hawk. I can view them all day long to watch for signs, so felt ok about it.

sth
    sth is offline Registered
    I go with 150-200 PPM nutes for the early seedling stage in my bubble bucket system. No need to wait until it has alternating nodes, I started when they only had their first set of leaves.

i gave my plants nutes after one week, using the GH 3 part nutes and went according to the feeding schedule. I use soil though and was only telling you what i have read or been told MisterE, i think you are right about the 4- 5 leaves... not alternating nodes.
    Last edited by L3G10N; Nov-25-2006 at 14:06.

sth
    sth is offline Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by L3G10N View Post
    i gave my plants nutes after one week, using the GH 3 part nutes and went according to the feeding schedule. I use soil though and was only telling you what i have read or been told MisterE, i think you are right about the 4- 5 leaves... not alternating nodes.
    Yeah, soil is a lot different in this department. I wasn't aware I could give them nutes at such a young age either since my last grow was soil.

well the only reason i gave them nutes so young is because i was following a grow that Mobay did, he fed his plants from week 1 using the GH feeding schedule.

razzapiggy is offline Registered+
    My plants are about two and a half weeks old, still haven't given em any nutes. I am growing Hydro of course, but they were in soil prior to my getting them, so my guess is they are still receiving some nutes from the soil packed around their roots. I will start giving nutes in another week or so at 150 PPM to start gradually working my way up. I believe the clones I am getting tonight are just in rock wool, so I should probably nute those sooner than this batch eh?

God razza don't ask me anything ...I learn new stuff every day. At least my head isn't going to explode anymore... Thanks for all the info guys...I feel much better now. I always started mine at 300ppm when I transplanted them into hydro--tried 400 once and it was too much) but they always did very well I thought with the low strength of nutes. Thanks everyone!